Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4575 (isolation #0) » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:34 am

Post by Siveure DtTrikyp »

Yay kinda picking up magic!

Yay doing draft!

Yay getting a booster pack for coming like top 2 in the draft or something?!??!?!

Yay actually having some cards now!
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5644 (isolation #1) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:33 am

As I discovered to my surprise with morphs, lands are colorless. So islands aren't blue.
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5706 (isolation #2) » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:04 am

You can flip manifested stuff with morph for either their morph cost, or their cmc.

Which will make hooded hydra and master of pearls insane to manifest.
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5729 (isolation #3) » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:53 am

Picked temur, but found I had like 6 dual lands after opening all the packs.

Went 5 colour good stuff, including like 3 dragons and surrak.

5-0 and 1st.

i found the manifest stuff for 2 and 3 was pretty decent it's fine late because it cycles a bit. They shouldn't be able to go super trigger happy with removal on every manifest you play, so if you manifest a bomb late in the game it'll probably survive to flip up. About my only 2 or 3 drop I was unhappy drawing after turn 5 was like dragon bell monk and jeskai infiltrator. Speaking of which, Jeskai infiltrator was absolutely insane as the first minion on 3, because 2 manifest creatures is really good and if you can get through with it again you can flip to use its ability again. It also has pseudo vigilance.

I think with write into being if you get two lands and a big creature on 3, and you have enough lands in hand you should manifest the land.
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5731 (isolation #4) » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:22 pm

According to google, you choose which happens first, but they both only happen once.
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5840 (isolation #5) » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:14 am

Had a temur morph deck, decided it was utter crap, so threw together this deck in like 5 minutes with the cards I had.

Spoiler: Temur Control?
4 Rattleclaw Mystic
2 Whisperer of the Wilds
2 Frost Walker
1 Savage Knuckleblade
1 Yasova Dragonclaw
1 Flamewake Phoenix
1 Temur Sabertooth
4 Ashcloud Phoenix
2 Surrak Dragonclaw
1 Whisperwood Elemental
3 Sagu Mauler
1 Craters Claws
3 Stubborn Denial
2 Negate
3 Lightning Strike
1 Arc Lightning
2 Temur Charm
1 Interpret the Signs
1 Dig Through Time
1 Thornwood Falls
1 Temple of Mystery
3 Temple of Abandon
4 Frontier Bivouac
3 Yavimaya Coast
3 Island
5 Mountain
4 Forest

Sideboard:
4 Wild Slash
2 Magma Spray
2 Anger of the Gods
3 Disdainful Stroke
2 Temur Charm
1 Burn Away
1 Supplant Form

Went 3-1, against like jeskai tokens, r/w aggro, mono-red aggro (lose) and GFab Control.

The supplant form, frost walkers and sabertooth were all kinda crap. I also couldn't work out when I'd want to bring in temur charms from sideboard - maybe against abzan? I'd probably want to put in more knuckleblades and replace the frost walkers with heir of the wilds. Also another arc lightning/anger of the gods in SB.
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6081 (isolation #6) » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:37 am

Pretty sure it's neither.
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6085 (isolation #7) » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:57 am

I think he can't exile an additional card.

I'm also fairly sure it's only 1 because rakshasa's disdain is on the stack when it resolves.
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6091 (isolation #8) » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:28 am

That deck looks like a pile of cards to me. What is it even doing?

Ojutai's command is a weird one. It's good if you want to use the first mode I think, and otherwise it's a rather mediocre way to gain life against aggressive decks. Essence Scatter + Draw is a bit meh for four mana

Narset is imo a build around, which you haven't done.
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6155 (isolation #9) » Fri May 01, 2015 10:10 am

It's awkward doing facedown because it's fairly expensive to play stuff facedown and flip and it's not actually that great when you do. And having enchantments to fix this is also awkward because A) they're also slow and B) what if you don't get them?

I've considered trying assault formation in morph because of dragon eye savants/monastery flock (which enables you to maybe try play slower?), and I think it also fixes that a bunch of your enchantments are 100% vital but also fairly terrible in multiples. Have no idea what the actual list would be. Probably want 4 rattleclaw mystics, 4 dragon eye savants, 4 monastery flock, 4 den protector, 4 deathmist, 2 assault formation, 4 secret plans, 4 commune with the gods with some amount of trail of mystery/obscuring aether. Satyr wayfinder probably also makes some sense?

Not playing deathmist raptor in morph/manifest makes absolutely no sense.
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6237 (isolation #10) » Fri May 15, 2015 10:06 am

They're sideboarding in plague and leaving rabblemaster in vs atarka red?

Tbh I'm not very sure about virulent plague because you have like 4 angers to bring in in all those matchups. Does the deck need like 5 sweepers in those matchups?
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6342 (isolation #11) » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:45 pm

The scry affects hands of 6 cards because you can probably keep sketchier hands on 6 mana. Other than that I don't think it has an enormous effect.
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6370 (isolation #12) » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:50 am

Was at game day at my lgs today. We had a practice standard event yesterday, and after sultai assault formation went 1-2 beating only the control deck with no removal and 20 land in the 0/2 bracket, I switched it up to sultai dragons.

Went 2-2 beating a untuned b/r aggro I think? (which went 0/4) and b/g elsv. Lost to Sultai self-mill fatties (screw risen executioner and deathmist raptor, seriously) and mono red burn. Ended up 9th out of the 16 there D:

I think the deck is alright, I just had a ton of bad cards and missing some good cards (not enough dragons for the amount of dragons matters cards I had, and no bile blight), and not a lot of experience on it (sideboarded horribly against sultai self-mill fatties by taking out tons of removal).
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6409 (isolation #13) » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:34 pm

In post 6405, Shanba wrote:
In post 6403, Knight of Cydonia wrote:They might as well rename every Return To set they print "Strictly Worse Than Last Time We Went To ______ - By Mark Rosewater" since all they want people to do these days is ram big dumb fat creatures into each other like speed dating night at an American steakhouse

thank fuck they haven't quite managed to kill off Legacy yet

Devoid is possibly the most boring mechanic they have ever printed

Devoid also wasn't going to be a keyword until they realized that it didn't work without a keyword.
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6432 (isolation #14) » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:57 pm

I think the awaken cancel is rare because of the whole complicated "the creature is instant... but I can't just fire the spell off whenever" interaction.
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6570 (isolation #15) » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:53 am

Netdecking happens for me when I think "these cards are pretty cool, I kinda want to play these," and then see a deck that is nearly the same thing. While I will copy large parts of the deck, I'm going to make substitutions based on card availability. The big question on not winning is why go to a ton of extra work to make a deck that's similar, yet probably worse than a netdeck?

And my definition of scrub is along the lines of someone who calls part of a game unfair/not part of the game, doesn't use it and calls out people who do for using something unfair/not part of the game. That said, netdecking doesn't absolutely have to be part of the game with magic, but it kindof is by now in competitive formats. If you want to win without netdecking, fine, but don't take away from other people's enjoyment if they want to.

Also, on netdecking, I'd imagine some people still may not netdeck, but deck design space is not infinite, and powerful decks will be powerful decks. That said, not every powerful deck will be found because too many damn people netdeck, but whatever.
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6577 (isolation #16) » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:04 am

That deck isn't currently midrange at all - it's very much an aggro deck right now.

I also don't quite get why it has to be nearly mono blue.
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6579 (isolation #17) » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:11 am

Okay, sorry, yes, it is probably actually aggro/midrange, but there is a difference between aggro/midrange and midrange/aggro, and I try not to call a deck midrange unless it's primarily midrange.

Slow aggro is still aggro, it just usually isn't great against other aggro decks.

On mono blue - it's not the blue spells that confuse me, it's the lack of any other colour of spell. I don't see any big reward for being mono blue, other than maybe you stretching your mana to fit a bunch of... probably not actually that great colorless lands?

On why aggro is a bad matchup - you have a bunch of creatures that are significantly slower than most other aggro plans, and your removal is basically worthless against aggro. Not that removal is great in blue ever (why I think you may want to try play more colours).
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6583 (isolation #18) » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:51 am

When you say colorless, what do you mean?

If you're talking about true colorless, that works so little that you didn't even try it - you ran blue.
If you're talking about devoid colorless, sure that can work, I just don't think you have the right payoffs in mono blue. Foundry of the consuls/rogues passage/tomb of the spirit dragon are all pretty mana intensive, so you dont get some huge payoff for drawing multiples, and if run less you still are likely to draw one/two and have better mana (possibly good enough to play 2 colours). (And rogue's passage in the same deck as whirler rogue? What?)

U/R is nicer, but yeah - you're currently playing two red spells. I think you can fit more of the red devoid eldrazi into the deck, as a lot of them care about tons of colorless.

Hedron archive doesn't accomplish very much here - the ramp doesn't look relevant at all, and 6 mana draw 2 is terrible, and you dont have anything that cares about noncreature artifacts/colorless spells.

Anyway, my take on making some big theme to build your deck around is you have to compete with decks that don't have any theme and are just running a pile of good cards. Staying on theme restricts your available cards and unless you have some reward for staying on theme (like the ruination guide) you're just playing a pile of cards that are worse than someone else's pile. Artifact decks pre-rotation had ensoul artifact - and that card was good enough that you could just warp your deck around having tons of artifacts to enable it. Currently the big colorless synergies are all just eldrazi.
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6592 (isolation #19) » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:40 pm

I was thinking suppression bonds would be terrible. Then I realized "hey, no other way to get rid of planeswalkers, right?"

Still can't beat ugin, but whatever... maybe try disdainful stroke?

Return to “The Arcade”