The Walking Dead (spoilarz inside)

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #33 (isolation #0) » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:50 pm

Post by Chevre »

Just finished season 2. yikes.

I'm just...reminded of how
Saw
was a critically acclaimed
psychological
thriller with excellent twists and then once it made a ton of money they started dishing out yearly gorefests. Entertaining gorefests, yes, but the plot became so engorged and unbelievable that it ultimately drug down the series.

I don't think anyone reading this thread will deny that the arc of Season One was superb. Fleshed out, full of twists, and just really great. But Season Two was like what Saw became...it was like "LOOK AT THIS DRASTIC SITUATION! NOW ANOTHER ONE! NOW ANOTHER ONE!" with tons of deaths. Was it fun? Yeah, I'm a sucker for anything interactive fiction. But in terms of "goodness"? I feel like it was just a pretty level journey through who-knows-where, America to "Wellington" as the revolving door of death hit everyone but me.

Things I'd like to see in Season 3:
1) LET US HAVE MOMENTS TO TALK TO WHOEVER WE PLEASE IN OUR GROUP. Season One was great because every once in a while they'd give us a moment to talk to whomever we pleased, and real conversations with dialogue choices. Rarely did this happen in Season Two (Episode Four was about as good as it got) and often when this happened the characters would simply shrug Clementine off. Everyone complains about the unlikable characters, but for me people like Bonnie and Rebecca had promise and I wish I could've explored their stories a little bit more.
2) They need to subvert the whole idea that characters who can die in earlier episodes must be dead by the end of the season. It would've been awesome if Nick or heck, Sarah could've defied expectations and survived the whole season even though there was a chance they would die in an earlier episode. With the split endings of this season hopefully that's more of a possibility.
3) Along those lines, an actual arc. I like how in One Hershel set the tone with "the choices you make..." and his admiration of honesty, then there was an excellent introduction to characters, a standalone episode which really showed the drastic side of the apocalypse, and then a pretty tight story spanning the final three episodes. This season? Christa & Omid > alone > the cabin group > the ski lodge > Howe's > the civil war memorial > ??? under the general premise of "north / safety" it just didn't work; the ending was by no means satisfying. When I finished I actually wondered if Telltale had plans to do a sixth episode in this season.

I don't usually get so fired up, but gosh darnit, Season One was so good and Two is such a letdown.
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #36 (isolation #1) » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:58 am

Post by Chevre »

the campfire was probably the best part of the whole season.

i think the season did offer a lot in terms of unpredictability. carver dying ep. 3, russians appearing out of nowhere, jane's return, sarah and luke dying no matter what, mike not dying, the ending conflict being kenny v. jane
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #38 (isolation #2) » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:22 pm

Post by Chevre »

see my second point in my first post. i agree.

but my point was, sarah's whole "let's be friends!" and her general demeanor made her seem like a character you could end the game with still alive.

Return to “The Arcade”