Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #711 (isolation #0) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:32 am

Post by AngryPidgeon »

In post 707, Sudo_Nym wrote:I've been playing seven wonders on BSW, and I'm really enjoying it. I usually go military and blues, myself.
OH shit, I have been. We should play sometime. My handle is the same >.>
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #712 (isolation #1) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:34 am

Post by AngryPidgeon »

Reck, pleeeaaaaase. I've played at LEAST 100 games of 7 wonders. The things you are saying are not factual.

In reality the cards you should go for depend largely on your neighbors plays and how many people are in the game.

EDIT: Also military is pretty much always something you should be actively manipualting.

And making plays to ensure you get a caravansery over anyone else is also always solid.
Last edited by AngryPidgeon on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #713 (isolation #2) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:35 am

Post by AngryPidgeon »

So my friend got the Exodus expansion for Battlestar Galactica.

Its kinda worth it, it fixes space battles a bit. Also Cally can just execute someone as her one-shot. Fancy.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #716 (isolation #3) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:28 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

In post 714, xRECKONERx wrote:I find that military plays is entirely dependent upon your neighbors. If they're investing a bunch into military resources, let them have it, because it only has a finite amount of potential point gain possible. Focusing on military is rarely the way to win because at most you're going to get 18 victory points from it. And if someone makes a surprise final build to tie your military, then you've just wasted your resources.
The key to military is when your neighbors build it, it hurts YOU. Seeing/knowing what military plays your neighbors can make (and will probably prioritize over other things) and either making those plays yourself or otherwise denying them the play is critical. If you can maintain a military lead with minimal amounts of military cards, your Points/card ratio will be HUGE.

18 points (in a non-expansion game) can EASILY be 1/3 of your winning score (and dont discount the negative points your opponents eat). Military plays well with blue since both need mostly brown resources and are not dependent on other picks.

--

I'll say undervaluing my monument is one of my weaknesses since I get the value of counterpicking in 3-4 player games especially and building your monument is the best way to keep counterpicking options available without effectively wasting turns/points in doing so.

--

Haven isn't an age 2 card, I think you mean the one in age 3 that gets you 1/1 per brown?
Also re Giza B: I disagree that being Giza makes Baths a great play. The point of that card is to be able to build Aqueduct WITHOUT having the stone resources which...as you pointed out...you SHOULD have if you are Giza.

--

I'm not saying that your monument is 100% irrelevant to your plays, you can bet your ass that Im doing nothing but racing to stage 2 in Age 1 if I'm Babylon B.
Im just saying there are a lot of good static monument-neutral plays that people vastly tend to disregard in my experience.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #717 (isolation #4) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:33 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

Also I base my plays a lot more on number of players. 3,4, and 5 player games are completely different beasts. 6/7 are similar to 5 p games.

In a 4P game, Trading posts and grey cards are more valuable in age 1 since you have one more player and the same number of those cards. Also people can be COMPLETELY denied grey if their opposite neighbor is grabbing them all up. There are souble the amount of brown resources in age 2 from 3->4 players which makes them less valuable overall and ups the value of trading posts.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #719 (isolation #5) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:48 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

The problem isn't the one point hit and I got frustrated on another forum reading a guy saying that militart is irrelevant because you can only suffer -6. If you ignore military early, then all those military cards in Age 3 are no longer feasible plays which sucks when the most important thing in the game is not getting stuck w/o a play.

Also military has the best point/card return in the game if your opponents aren't building it. Which means that if YOU aren't building any, your opponents can coast several free points off you for building one or 2 military cards.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #720 (isolation #6) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:50 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

And ya, getting into pissing contests sucks which is why I almost always think about military plays in Age 1 and how to deny them. If you pull off an early military lead its easy to keep it ahead without too much effort.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #721 (isolation #7) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:56 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

I would argue that your wonder is a bigger concern in 4P games. In 3P games its SO easy to get denied the resource you need to build stage 2 or whatever and then get totally screwed.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #722 (isolation #8) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:01 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

Also science is the most troll thing ever. Even more than military. If no one contests you, you win. If someone else goes for it, you are going to lose.

If you are in a game where one person is going for all of it and no one else is, then you HAVE to start counterpicking them and its like a mexican standoff as to who wastes points doing the counterpicking.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #724 (isolation #9) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:22 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

My friends refuse to play power grid because it destroys friendships.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #737 (isolation #10) » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:36 am

Post by AngryPidgeon »

In post 725, hasdgfas wrote:
In post 724, AngryPidgeon wrote:My friends refuse to play power grid because it destroys friendships.
Math the Board Game should not destroy friendships. What do they play?
I guess the most vocal opponent dislikes that in an endgame scenario, its easy for people to have no chance of winning but still be able to affect the outcome of the game easily if they want to.

I personally love the game.

We play a lot of things, and a lot of those things are more headbutting games than PG.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #774 (isolation #11) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:10 am

Post by AngryPidgeon »

Anyone played Galaxy Truckers before?

Played for the first time yesterday, interesting game.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #779 (isolation #12) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:54 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

Flipping tiles over is a game of fast thinking and reacting. Dunno how you can call that mostly luck, lol since its just one giant CF of trying to grab relevant pieces.

Still trying to get a feel for how I feel about it. I disliked that the actual play through after building your ship seems to be 90% negative things and no "rewards". Mostly. May have been an unlucky deck?
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #1085 (isolation #13) » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:22 am

Post by AngryPidgeon »

Agricola is ok.

Has anyone playedEclipse?

Played this for the first time this week. Was pretty fun I thought although we all played pretty passive since it was everyones first time.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #1087 (isolation #14) » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:59 am

Post by AngryPidgeon »

I recommend it?

The first play through will be a lot of rules reading and slowness, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit.

And I don't think the rules are really THAT difficult either, the game flows pretty well once you get into it.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #1101 (isolation #15) » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:55 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

In post 1100, Mina wrote:At the Reckoning, AngryPidgeon called it "the game where everything's made up and the points don't matter."
I was just about to post in the thread when I got home and come home to see this :P

I dunno, it just feels like optimal strategy is straightforward for the most part in Betrayal? And the pre-haunt phase especially so. Typically you want to stop in a room to gain a stat point if possible, otherwise keep exploring whatever floor is smallest. And the combat after the haunt encroaches on Risk levels of frustration with dice rolls.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #1106 (isolation #16) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:01 am

Post by AngryPidgeon »

STOP HAVING FUN *Shakes fist angrily*

Return to “The Arcade”