Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
nhammen
nhammen
Mafia Scum
nhammen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3711 (isolation #0) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:24 pm

Post by nhammen »

I participated in my first pre-release ever today. I went 0-4 with cards that I thought were good. Maybe my selection was bad. I had a tough time deciding which two of White, Blue, and Black I should use and maybe I chose wrong. Well, I guess I should link to a list and see what you think. (and here is were you see just how bad I am at creating a Magic deck)

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/cards-i- ... gory=color
nhammen
nhammen
Mafia Scum
nhammen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3715 (isolation #1) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:06 pm

Post by nhammen »

Yeah. At first I wanted to run White/Blue, because Blue had some amazing evasion, but Black just had so much removal (plus Erebos's Emissary is a bomb), that I ran White/Black:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/my-thero ... gory=color

Note, this is after removing a Sip of Hemlock and Ray of Dissolution because I didn't have enough creatures in my first match. So it turns out that I didn't need as much removal as I had. After my second match I thought about switching to Black/Blue, since I had never even considered that option, but I showed my blue cards to the player that beat me and he said that they weren't as good as the white I had.

Edit: Oh yeah, my last two matches were both against White/Black, so I really should have removed those Lampads, but I never thought of doing that until a few hours after leaving the store...
nhammen
nhammen
Mafia Scum
nhammen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3721 (isolation #2) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:58 pm

Post by nhammen »

I ran two and took one out after the first match, because I didn't have enough creatures and had hands that did nothing. Probably should have taken something else out. Or just chalked those two matches up to bad luck and kept trying with what I had. Since I took two things out that you would have used.

@kdowns: Montag's
nhammen
nhammen
Mafia Scum
nhammen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3851 (isolation #3) » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:19 pm

Post by nhammen »

I'd be interested in Pauper. I usually play budget decks anyways. For me that usually means rareless, and some of my friends have started playing Rareless Standard very frequently, even though that isn't an official format (I don't think). And I do have a Cyclops rareless deck. So, I think I could easily switch to common only. Ummm... but there is no way to give Cyclops double strike in Standard Pauper. But I guess y'all aren't talking about Standard.

Is this online? I've never played online. Also, I would need to be an alternate, if I would be in, because I'm not exactly a great player.
nhammen
nhammen
Mafia Scum
nhammen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3872 (isolation #4) » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:54 am

Post by nhammen »

I've never seen a Red/Blue Cipher Heroic. I've seen it done with White for Fabled Hero and Phalanx Leader, and Black for Agent of the Fates. I thought about Red, but decided not to try it, because an overcharged Electrickery would wipe my side of the board without an answer.

And yes, many Cipher Heroic decks that I have seen run Nivmagus Elemental, because a ciphered Hidden Strings can trigger two heroic creatures, and then the Nivmagus. Yeah, I'm kinda into these weird combo-things. I'm definitely a Johnny.
nhammen
nhammen
Mafia Scum
nhammen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3887 (isolation #5) » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:14 am

Post by nhammen »

Well. I've joined the digital magicness. I now have an account (same name as here) on Magic Online.
nhammen
nhammen
Mafia Scum
nhammen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3947 (isolation #6) » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:47 pm

Post by nhammen »

Sooo... I just made top 8 in a FNM draft for the first time. I know that's not that big of a deal, but I'm feeling like this is awesome. Plus, there were 36 people instead of the usual 28 or so, so it was a good accomplishment. It was 6 rounds, so even though we started just after 7pm we only started top 8 at 1 am. And my top 8 match was won by my opponent 2-1. I was 1 turn away from killing him with a kinda large flying Favored Hoplite, when he played a Portent of Betrayal and used my own dude to finish me off. Sadface. And I made multiple mistakes in our Game 1, so I might have been able to top 4 and get one of the Revised duals that they gave out to top 4 this week. Badlands is only worth $65. I didn't miss out on much, right? And hey I opened a Godless Shrine in one of my prize packs, so I still got some good value out of this. And I made top 8 in a draft!! It could have gone better, but I am VERY happy with how I did, even so.
nhammen
nhammen
Mafia Scum
nhammen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3950 (isolation #7) » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:54 am

Post by nhammen »

Only for this month. So you missed out. And that's the only place I draft, because everywhere else charges $15, but Strike Zone charges $10. But then, because Strike Zone always has such large drafts, my chances of winning any prizes drop to almost nothing, so maybe I shouldn't be going somewhere where my chances of making top 8 are so low, even if it is cheaper.

Oh, and the deck:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dec-27-fnm-heroic/

I don't recall the other cards I drafted, except that I had a second Yoked Ox I never used, and that the only sideboard card I used was a Glare of Heresy I sided in for Stymied Hopes whenever I played against a deck running white. I never used Stymied Hopes when it ended up in my hand, so I probably should have left it out of main.
nhammen
nhammen
Mafia Scum
nhammen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3952 (isolation #8) » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:21 pm

Post by nhammen »

You misread me. I didn't say second pick Yoked Ox. I said I had drafted a second one of them. As in I had 2 of them, but was only playing one.

When I was talking about other cards I had drafted, I was referring to my sideboard. But I only used one card in my sideboard.
nhammen
nhammen
Mafia Scum
nhammen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3954 (isolation #9) » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:42 pm

Post by nhammen »

No problem.

Actually, in pack 1, I took a huge risk. I kept getting passed good heroic enablers such as Ordeal of Thassa, Gods Willing, etc. Enough that I didn't even play all of them (although I should have played Chosen by Heliod in place of Stymied Hopes, because I am terrible with counters). So I took a large number of these even without seeing much heroic. But that payed off in pack 2 when I opened Phalanx Leader and was passed 2 Favored Hoplites.

Return to “The Arcade”