Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (isolation #0) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:25 am

Post by saulres »

I've found Settlers to be enjoyable for the non-gamers. To prevent boredom on replay we shuffle up the tiles and numbers.

In post 25, mykonian wrote:Base game? Build cities. They rock.

That only works if you get the resources to do it. The randomness of dice means your initial strategy may not pan out, so you have to be flexible.

Having the same numbers is cool, esspecially if they form a part of something you can build (ore-grain or wood-stone).

But it sucks if that number doesn't come up. I try to avoid duplicate numbers unless they're for logical pairings (lumber and clay or wheat and ore) and spread out my numbers more so I'm more likely to get
something
on every roll.
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #47 (isolation #1) » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:44 am

Post by saulres »

In post 45, mykonian wrote:But having a hand full of stuff sometimes beats having a halffull hand always. Esspecially at the start this works, after which you should spread out anyway and consolidate.

See, this is why Settlers is such a great game. You have your strategy, I have mine, and each are equally viable, depending on the layout of the board and the initial placements.

I have tried in some games to build cities first, and at least once or twice have gotten screwed by that because by the time it came to start spreading out, all my egresses were blocked. I had to rely on development cards to get any more points.
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.

Return to “The Arcade”