The Mafiascum World of Warcraft Thread

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Alnara
Alnara
Goon
Alnara
Goon
Goon

Post Post #334 (isolation #0) » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:23 pm

Post by Alnara »

For some reason it isn't letting me on as SFG, but reck was asking about raids.

Let me tell you about Cata raids.

They are hard as balls and take people who are actually intelligent. So far, I've only really done Blackwing Descent, but I've watched my group wipe there so many times because people aren't intelligent...anyways I'll give you a debriefing on the bosses I'm familiar with.

Magmaw - giant worm fire thing. He's in a square shaped hole in the floor with walls cutting off two corners; tank stands on one side and everyone else stands on the other. There are grublike adds that must be killed before they touch anyone because if they do, they kill that person and make more of them. At some point, Magmaw will eat the current tank and the dps need to jump on its head and throw two or three chains down (as many as possible, really) onto the spikes and then he spits up the tank and becomes really vulnerable. Healers use this time to mana up (aoe healing on the raid stack is necessary for whenever Magmaw is not chained and its a huge mana drain). Then either you switch tanks or you let your tank eat the 50% armor reduction and hope your heals are good, and do it all over again. Generally not a terrible boss to do as long as dps can 1. kill adds from range and 2. hit the spikes with the chains.

Omnitron - There are actually four of them, one of them will be pacing about and the others will activate later in the fight. Basically, when the first one gets to half energy (the mana bar), a second one activates and has to be picked up by the other tank and taken to the other side. Then the first one puts up a shield that kills things if you keep hitting it, so everyone has to switch to the new one. When it gets to 0 energy it shuts down, which should correspond to 50 energy on the second one, which activates the third one and has the second put up its shield, etc. The four of them in order of easiest to hardest are Arcanotron, Electron, Magmatron, and Toxitron. Arcanotron needs to be interrupted a lot and drops whirly blue puddles on the floor that make people who stand in them gain a lot of mana regen and dps - healers and casters should be absolutely standing in these puddles unless another mechanic intervenes. Arcanotron should NOT be standing in these puddles. The only important thing about Electron is to range 9 to prevent chain lightning and some annoying thing he does that makes a raid member shoot out electricity at everyone within 8 feet. Magmatron does two terrible things - a raidwide aoe that calls for big aoe heals on the raid and a red lazor. You might get targeted by the red lazor. If you do, you make sure you run to a place where there is no one in front of you and no one behind you, and then you get hit by the lazor. You cannot dodge the lazor. Even if there are two healers dedicated to healing you through the lazor, you may not survive the lazor. Use your healthstones and damage-reducing cooldowns and anything else you can to survive the lazor. Toxitron puts clouds on the floor that increase damage taken. The good news is, they increase the damage he takes too! That's why you use bloodlust on Toxitron. Toxitron also spawns adds. If you have done Professor Putricide, these adds are roughly equivalent to orange oozes in that fight. If you havent...well, there will be three adds, each targeting a different raid member. If you don't kill the adds before they touch the raid member, the raid member and anyone near them dies. That is why everyone who can do ranged is on the opposite side of the room from Toxitron, and when the adds spawn, the melee runs like fuck. The adds will not target the person who is tanking Toxitron. If you are in a blue puddle and you are picked by an add, the red lazor, or Electron has you spouting off electricity, that is a good time to get out of the puddle.
Causes of death from most inevitable to least inevitable: red lazor, adds, fire aoe, healers going oom. Loot is dependent on which two trons are up when the shared health pool reaches 0.

Atramedes - blind dragon! fucking awesome imo. The important thing here is your sound meter. This is a little gong-shaped thing in the middle of your screen that appears at the start of the fight and fills up with blue. If it fills up all the way, you die. There are 10 gongs in a circle around the room that reset your sound bar and stun him. Each can be used precisely once. He does an aoe every 30 seconds or so that does more damage the more sound you have (and does about half a health bar at 0 sound too) and gives you sound. He shoots out little whirly discs that increase your sound - THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. You can dodge them easily and if you get more than a tick of sound from them you are likely to die from the aoe. Sometimes he picks a raid member (DBM will mark them with a skull) and breathe fire at them, rotating slowly. That player runs towards the dragon and around in a predetermined direction. The direction is so that other people (since all of ranged will be in a stack for aoe healing) can run the other way and resume dps instead of running with the target and losing a lot of dps. Occasionally, he will cast something called Searing Flames. Do not wait to start taking damage from it, when you see him start to cast it, hit a gong. Immediately. It will two-shot your raid. Yes, the entire raid. Hitting the gong interrupts it. After he does this, he will fly into the air for an air phase. When you see him flying up, start running. If you have a cat form or anything similar, drop into it. There will be targets appearing on the floor: avoid these. There will be flames on the floor: avoid these as well. The dragon will also pick someone and start breathing fire at them. If you are picked, RUN LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER. You have dash? blink? lock teleporter? any kind of speed boost whatsoever? USE IT. Kite it for as long as possible, but someone needs to be next to a gong because it will catch you eventually and they need to ring it as soon as that happens. If you were the person ringing this gong, run like a motherfucker cause you're next! :D But if you run fast enough the dragon will give up and land before he catches you, and then you start all over again. In my experience, having a glyphed ghost wolf is enough to escape the flames as long as you run correctly. That's I believe 30% speed boost, although I could be wrong. Our mage had no trouble blinking away and our lock was fine once he put down a portal. This is not a dps race, this is a pure mechanical fight. Once you master the mechanics, you will beat the dragon.
Oh btw, any kind of damage you take during this fight increases your sound bar. So make sure you watch it or you might become a roasted marshmallow :D

Happy raiding!
This is a hydra. It used to belong to SFG and Vi, but now it belongs to SFG and Phate.
Alnara
Alnara
Goon
Alnara
Goon
Goon

Post Post #352 (isolation #1) » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:42 pm

Post by Alnara »

Oman wrote:I broke into heroics today
will run my first tomorrow!
Sincerest pity for you bro, heroics are a terrible place to be right now. I'm honestly considering just not running heroics for awhile because pugs basically kick random people if you wipe or get hit too hard by trash or somehow piss someone off, regardless of whose fault it was. If the tank cant hold aggro and you die for it, you get kicked. Not the tank. Not to mention, most bosses have a mechanic or two that kills SOMEONE basically every run, which means that random people get kicked all the time. Let me tell you, there isn't too much worse than being in a heroic for two full hours and then getting kicked out at the last boss because your rope despawned or you lagged at the wrong time or the healer forgot you existed or the tank fails at life.

If you can, run heroics with guildies who know what they're doing. Running with a single guildie can reduce the number of times you get kicked, running with 2 eliminates that entirely. Plus, you'll spend less time explaining fights and having people fail anyways.
This is a hydra. It used to belong to SFG and Vi, but now it belongs to SFG and Phate.
Alnara
Alnara
Goon
Alnara
Goon
Goon

Post Post #361 (isolation #2) » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:54 pm

Post by Alnara »

tanstalas wrote:
xRECKONERx wrote:Just hit 85!

...now to gear up for Heroics -_-
We should uhh, maybe get together when my DK hits 85, if I tank and you heal, I doubt we'd be kicked (though my tanking is gonna probably suck until I get some decent stuff)
AFAICT, healers get kicked more often than any other member of a heroic, because every time someone dies people think of the off chance that the healer could have healed better and they'd still be alive. Being a healer, especially a resto shaman, thoroughly sucks right now.
Alnara
Alnara
Goon
Alnara
Goon
Goon

Post Post #399 (isolation #3) » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:16 pm

Post by Alnara »

tbh my warrior is prot (the tanking tree) and I never looked back. She's lvl 64 right now and her dps is as high as anyone else's, plus she never dies when questing. Fury warriors (the main dps tree) were really hot in WotLK but its too early to see if they'll be as good in Cata.

I have had people tell me to dps before as a warrior though - the warriortankitis as you so put it dissipated an expansion or two ago :P
Alnara
Alnara
Goon
Alnara
Goon
Goon

Post Post #443 (isolation #4) » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:01 pm

Post by Alnara »

I quit WoW. I'm sick of getting shit from my guild master for stuff i didn't even do or not doing stuff it has been impossible for me to do. Maybe I'll try a toon on LB but im not looking forward to leveling again. Who knows.
Alnara
Alnara
Goon
Alnara
Goon
Goon

Post Post #516 (isolation #5) » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:32 pm

Post by Alnara »

xRECKONERx wrote:Sooooo yeah. PUGs are awful.
Need more 85 for all guild runs plz

Kairyuu & I just got kicked from a pug group because we didn't have AoE spells
The tank couldn't even hold aggro on the rock borers at the worm boss in Heroic Stonecore
lol what is this
Don't say I didn't warn you. I posted about this like 10 pages ago. pugs are mentally retarded and kick anyone but the tank regardless of whose fault it actually was.

I said I was going to quit WoW but now that Archeology is profitable I'm leveling that and kind of hoping that my old guild lets me go raiding with them anyways once I get a few epics under my belt. >_> I'm hopeless.
Alnara
Alnara
Goon
Alnara
Goon
Goon

Post Post #616 (isolation #6) » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:05 am

Post by Alnara »

It depends on what Mastery. Prot warrior mastery is practically the most important stat following stamina. Resto shammy mastery sucks balls. Enhance shammy mastery is actually better than crit or haste (not that that's saying much).
Alnara
Alnara
Goon
Alnara
Goon
Goon

Post Post #620 (isolation #7) » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:01 pm

Post by Alnara »

Oman wrote:The reason that Stam is not as important as mitigation is due to the change to healers. Having never been a healer, correct me when wrong. The change was to mana starve healers more, partially through spells costing more, partially through having more damage. If healers were forced to use their major spells the whole fight, they'd oom pretty quickly.

So the idea is to reduce the amount of damage you take to reduce the amount of healing required. Stam is just a safety buffer.
This isn't quite accurate. As a healer, I can fairly sustainably heal through my tank/raid taking constant small to moderate amounts of damage (although healing the entire raid drains me faster than healing 5 members and then another 5 members just based on the spells i have to offer). The way to make your healer go oom is to either 1. take spike damage (mmm, restoring mana OHSHITBOMBWITHHEALS...damn now i have no mana left) or 2. have 3 or 4 members of the raid taking tank-y amounts of damage (standing in fire, cleave, etc.). Alternately you could just die and make the druid dps go bear, which will also kill my mana pool :P

So basically, the best thing a tank can do for their healer is have 100% chance to block and 100% chance to critically block, dodge and parry be damned. Stamina is kinda nice but only really necessary for boss gear checks, but the situations are few and far between when you will go "man, I wish I'd had 50 more points of stam."
Alnara
Alnara
Goon
Alnara
Goon
Goon

Post Post #625 (isolation #8) » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:54 am

Post by Alnara »

Fuck yeah, guild finally downed Chimaron! That fight was a NIGHTMARE to heal, never enough gcd's and our tank healer was really bad at making sure the tanks stayed alive so I ended up doing that whenever i would have had a breather. I really hope we replace our tank healer soon, we wiped at least 5 times due to a tank dying. :(
Alnara
Alnara
Goon
Alnara
Goon
Goon

Post Post #647 (isolation #9) » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:58 am

Post by Alnara »

tanstalas wrote:Pfft. I'm the only addict.. and Dram..
:'( you forgot about meeeee

Return to “The Arcade”