Ultimate Videogame Topic 3: The Next Generation

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3194 (isolation #0) » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:47 am

Post by Vaxkiller »

Over the past few years I've played 7 days to die, Valheim, V Rising, Deep Rock Galactic, There are billions, and Northgard.

7 days to die was fun early to mid, but once you build everything, it gets dull real quick. This game was more resource gathering than anything. There is too little variety in the zombies on the 7th day, and in mid-late game the game is way too easy. There are a few base design "bugs" that make it nearly impossible to lose. Building is relatively simple, simialr looking to minecraft. The game is not optimized at all, and will run terrible sometimes even on a great computer. I recommend playing on a private server with at least 1 friend. I don't see ever returning to this game however as they do not appear to be interested in adding valuable content, or changing the gameplay enough that will make it enjoyable a 2nd time around.
7/10

Valheim was very enjoyable and I plan on returning back to it after a few patches. This game was alot more about exploring and building connections between places. I played until the plains boss (I did this before the mistlands was released). I played on a private server with a total of 4 people. I HIGHLY recommend alot for people for this game. It is VERY grindy and punishing. You WILL DIE. You WILL sail for hours, land on shore, die to a new creature, only to have to make ANOTHER boat, sail for more hours, to recover your corpse. Every time you leave your base plan on dying! Once you have portals, as soon as you explore, but a portal down, so you can always jump back through and recover your corpse. This is the biggest reason i recommend playing with other people, if you are sailing or exploring with people, someone else can always put a portal down so you can get back. Or at least run beside your naked character to assist with recovering their corpse. This may seem like a negative review, but no, it really was alot of fun! THe bosses were quite difficult, but once you tech up, find thier weakness, they are doable. This game is alot easier if at least 1 person in your party is really into building and can build bases very well. I will return to this game with the new content.
9/10

V Rising was good, but also short lived. It only took a few months to complete with 1 friend. Overall less punishing that Valheim, but there were a few bosses that were quite hard, most were relatively easy. I was there was a little more depth to the game. I may play again when new content is released. Game is mostly about fighting incrementally stronger bosses and getting new abilities and materials. Some of these abilities are 100% useless. Biggest complaint is the game becomes a fishing simulator at end game because you need these super rare fish to do end game things. This might be a little more enjoyable if fishing were a little fun in the game.
8/10

Deep rock galactic. ROCK AND STONE! I highly recommend this game. I'm only playing with 1 friend, but it would probably be even more fun with more. It incorporates some of my favorite online activities, mining and killing lots of bugs. Still playing this game, been playing for about 2 months.
9/10

There are billions. I can't recommend this game. I was really looking forward to the concept, I loved starcraft maps that had you vs lots of baddies. It was just poorly executed in my opinion. The sounds were low budget, it's hard to tell where you are being attacked and if your town was being attacked you are probably a goner anyway. I ended up returning to this game.
4/10

Northgard - I like this game and I'm still playing it. I finished the story mode and im playing through some sort of other mode which is fun. The game gives you different options to win, like fame or trade. This RTS is very unlike most RTS's. It's a lot slower too. No zerg rush!
8/10
Vaxkiller is not anti-vaccine, he is a killer of Vax machines.

Games played.
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3201 (isolation #1) » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:22 am

Post by Vaxkiller »

I've been playing Against the Storm.... a lot. I've held off playing for months now because it's getting updated every 2 weeks, and I was worried the updates would get in the way of me playing. If you are thinking the same way, don't! Most changes seem to have a pretty low impact on your game progress and have mostly changed the game positively. The developer is constantly adding new content (really!) to the game and most of the community reaction to it has been good.

I think it's listed as a rogue-like game, but I'm not sure what that is exactly. For me, the game plays a little like frost punk, just a little. Throw some RTS in, lots of resource management, proper prior planning (and luck). I've played this game for a week so far and I put wayyyy to many hours into it. To complete a game, you can choose from a variety of things to do: tasks given by the queen, making your settlers happy, exploring, and possibly more I'm not familiar with yet. They give you "points" and once you reach the number you need to game ends, you get some awards and continue on to the next settlement and start over again.

Each game you play lasts around an hour or 2 (maybe more as it gets more difficult) and is part of a bigger progression. That progression is like a bonus system of sorts, but also it can change the way you play each game. The 4 levels of difficulty change the way you play drastically, and you can tell there was more thought put into it than the typical "There are more bad guys and you get less resources".

The game is normally $20, but they are raising the price permanently next week to $30 ( in preparation for V1 release soon)

It is currently on sale for it's lowest price for $15 on steam (maybe others as well)

Games played.
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3230 (isolation #2) » Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:59 am

Post by Vaxkiller »

Just completed Baldur's Gate 3. I highly recommend it.

Games played.

Return to “The Arcade”