Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
James Brafin
James Brafin
Goon
James Brafin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7660 (isolation #0) » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:57 am

Post by James Brafin »

I don’t normally post here but
OH MY GOSH THEY REPRINTED SPITFIRE.
This is probably one of my favorite cards in the history of the game, not the least because it’s SO totally busted in 4-man Modern, which is one of my favorite and most overlooked formats, where extort, Spitfire, and Arterial Flow reign supreme, and many of the most popular 1v1 Modern deck just don’t get enough gas to work against multiple opponents creating an entirely new meta that gets rid of some of the most annoying combos in Modern. It also happens to be the first card I ever built around, and with Electostatic Field, Guttersnipe, and so many cantrips it’s not even funny, this has the opportunity to be SO busted in standard.

Here’s the concept:
Play Electrostatic Wall or guttersnipe
Play Spitfire
Ping ping ping swing for 13.

So simple, it’s not even funny. Here’s the beta decklist:

Main:
Chandra’s Spitfire x4
Electrostatic Field x4
Opt x4
Radical idea x4
Clear The Mind x3
Island x2
Mountain x2
Sulfur Falls x4
Izzet Guildgate x4
Steam Vents x4
Highland Lake x4
Expansion/Explosion x4
Blindblast x3
Fanatical Firebrand x4
Guttersnipe x4
Lightning Strike x4
Niv-Mizzet, Parun x2
Ral, Storm Conduit x2
Radiating Lightning x3
Direct Current x3
Beacon Bolt x2

Sideboard:
Warlord’s Fury x3
Crash Through x3
Goblin Chainwhirler x3
Lava Coil x3
Chemister’s Insight x3

Lots of mana “filter” to always be able to play my best spells. While there is a rather low amount for playing Niv-Mizzet, with all those cantrips they should be easy to find and then I just toss the rest with Radical Idea and direct Current.
Speaking of Niv, he’s trouble alone, but with Electro-static and a single can trip he makes Spitfire a 13/3 flyer EVERY TURN. O.o Ral is here for his doubling and additional damage, E/E for the same.
Beacon Bolt also makes a phenomenal finisher, and Clear the Mind will help me reset if all my Spitfires get dumped. And of course we have classics like Lightning Strike, and Blindblast to help deal with those pesky flyer that can block.

On the sideboard we have some extra utility, the first two being for busting through enemy boards, the third and fourth for go-wide and spot removal for powerful creatures, and the fifth if I end up in a grindy match where I need extra card advantage.

What do you all think? Honestly, as good as Ral is he and E/E may be the first things that need to go, but I am not sure.
A new R2D game is in signups! Running Alpha v1.3 Link here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=80343
Get to know a handsome potato: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=76837
Making the world more educated, one uneducated person at a time.
James Brafin
James Brafin
Goon
James Brafin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7662 (isolation #1) » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:59 am

Post by James Brafin »

And now they have the two-card combo of poly raptor and marauding raptor in standard.
A new R2D game is in signups! Running Alpha v1.3 Link here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=80343
James Brafin
James Brafin
Goon
James Brafin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7671 (isolation #2) » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:58 am

Post by James Brafin »

Mono-red and blue- black mill fringe decks are gonna get shown the door from that for sure.

Return to “The Arcade”