Nithrar

Older threads and ideas relating to the Amstaad RPG.
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #2 (isolation #0) » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:16 am

Post by Yaw »

I'm going to put modish noted in italics. Let's put the home dojo slightly in from where you wanted it on the map, just to get it away from the bustle of the main roadways so your students have fewer distractions to their concentration...at least for now. We'll fix it in place once I finish editing that Quarter. At any rate, assume lesson started around 9AM and took a half hour, so you're leaving for Frandal's at 9:30AM.

You step out through the training yard onto a twisting residential street, pausing to take in the sweet smell of the linfal trees ubiquitous to the Elvish Quarter. It is a bright but windy day, and the trees play a rousing tune as you walk out of the neighbourhood.

It is faster to travel by the main road, but you don't feel like making your way through the bustle of Allel Boulevard today. Instead you travel by the narrower tree-lined paths, whistling semi-tunefully and absently brushing your hand by the linfal trunks as they intrude into the roadway. The streets are not busy, but you pass by children playing and older elves working on the balconies of their homes. Slowly, the Great Tree becomes visible, then larger, towering above all else in the Quarter.

Frandal's is a large, two story building with a thatched roof to the south of the Shrine. You had never understood why he insisted on thatch that had to be replaced every year in an outporing of communal labour by his students. He certainly could have afforded something more permanent, but that was Frandal -- always stuck in his ways. Still, you had to admit his dojo had a certain feeling of warmth, and a great location. You quickly climb the spiral staircase around the tree in front of the hall, and step inside through the doors on the second floor balcony.

Time taken...let's say approximately 20 minutes. We'll nail down a stricter scale later -- it won't really impact this much. Current time is therefore 9:50AM. Location is Franda's hall, near the Shrine of the Great Tree.
Success breeds suspicion
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #4 (isolation #1) » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:06 am

Post by Yaw »

Time around 11:45 AM, location as before.

There is a proscription against cooking for many people so close to the Great Tree, so lunch requires a bit of a hike. You walk back up the road away from the Shrine for a couple of blocks before finding Rindel's. It is a small place, but popular among those in the know for good food. You just happen to be one of those in the know. You can see the backyard has already started to fill with customers. Walking past the floral gardens on either side of the main entrance, you pass into the hot room beyond.

Time around 11:50 AM, location is Rindel's Restaurant.
Success breeds suspicion
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #6 (isolation #2) » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:50 pm

Post by Yaw »

Very cool little flashback. Let's give it around a half hour to eat, so leaving restaurant around 12:20 PM.

You enjoy an uneventful stroll back to your training hall through the green Elvish Quarter. The building is welcoming, an arched gate leading into the training yard beyond which lies the open-work hall. A small staircase off to the side of the yard leads up to your apartment above the hall. Training is still in progress, and you can see Shan putting the newest students through some exercises. He spots you between the pillars as you're about to climb the stairs, stops the class, and runs over.

"Welcome back. A new student arrived when you were gone," he says.

"Thanks for letting me know. I'm sure you've had him fill out the registration forms. I'll look at them when I come back down for my class."

"Actually...he didn't fill out the forms." Shan sounds somewhat perturbed by this departure.

"Excuse me?"

"He's sitting in your office now. He insisted that he speak with you."

Sighing, you turn around and walk into your office. The new student turns around in the chair facing your desk. You are surprised to see a small Tiktuk boy, no older than 10, looking at you. "Hullo!" he says. "You're the one Abraa told me to look for."

It is now 12:45 PM. Location is your training hall.
Success breeds suspicion
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #8 (isolation #3) » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:56 pm

Post by Yaw »

"We went to see her yesterday. My parents and me. It's a family tradition on your tenth birthday. She looked into a crystal ball and told me I had to become a great warrior, and to find the place of Aloysius the Elf right away to talk to the master." He is kicking his legs nervously in the chair as he speaks.

"Aloysius has retired, but this is his training hall. Do you have any experi...have you fought before?"

"No. Mommy always told me not to get into fights."

"Do your parents know you're here? Are they OK with you training to be a warrior who fights?"

"They don't like it, but they want to do what Abraa says. She speaks with the Mothers."

"And what's your name?"

"Oh. I'm Osai."

"Osai. I'm not sure this is going to work..."

"Abraa also said I should show you my secret. I don't show people because they get all weird, but she said you'd understand." He screws up his face and opens his right hand palm-up. Slowly opening his eyes, he looks down and smiles. Dancing on his hand is a rather large flame.
Success breeds suspicion
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #10 (isolation #4) » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:44 pm

Post by Yaw »

"They'll be here first thing tomorrow. Thank you!"

"I'll see them then." You politely dismiss Osai, who walks around the main hall to the gate, and then runs into the street.

Time is 1:05 PM. Location is your training hall office.
Success breeds suspicion
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #12 (isolation #5) » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:05 pm

Post by Yaw »

Time is 1:40 PM. Location is on Allel Boulevard, at a pub on the north side.

Allel Boulevard is busy as usual, with an eclectic mix of people. There are the Elves, using the road as a thoroughfare to travel from their homes into the government areas to the south, the Nobles' District to the east, and the mercantile areas to the west. The Tiktuk are dressed more colourfully. Some are carrying wide trays of produce on their heads, selling to passerby. The Passani are dressed in white robes, having discussions in small groups while sipping mint tea. Such is life in the centre of the Old City -- three disparate lifestyles trying to move at their own paces.

The pub faces the busy street, tucked between the backs of two Tiktuk housing complexes. It is dark inside, lit by flickering candles at each table. It is after the lunch rush, so very few people are inside and the main lights have been allowed to die to avoid wasting them. You ease up to the bar and sit at a stool.

The barkeeper, and older Tiktuk woman, greets you. "What'll you have?"

"I'm really just looking for directions."

"We have our special homebrewed millet beer, or if you want something harder..."

"Alright. No beer though. Some tea will be fine."

She walks into the back and a few minutes later returns with a steaming cup. "So, where are you looking to go?"

"It's not a where, it's a who. I'm looking for Abraa."

She pauses for a minute. "Nope, haven't heard of her."

"Would you have any idea who might? It has something to do with a message from the Mothers."

"The Mothers don't give messages to Elves."

"Normally, I'd agree. But she got one."

"What strange times we live in. Well, the Elves have always been good neighbours, and it must be important if the Mothers would send a message to one. I don't know all the seers. But my son doesn't need to help around here until dinner time, so he can show you to the nearest one and lead you from there."

"Thank you very much for your help."

"May you walk well. That'll be 3 Ams."

Time is 1:55 PM. Location still the pub. (No, her son is not Osai. You're just going to get a guide for a bit.)
Success breeds suspicion
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #15 (isolation #6) » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:24 am

Post by Yaw »

You probably want to edit the last sentence in the first paragraph. "If I take Osai as a student, I will need to have him teach me more about the
Osai
Tiktuk."

Time is 2:30 PM. Location is in the middle of the Tiktuk Quarter

The door is opened by a Slith. Your guide speaks to him in Tiktuk, and the Slith nods and steps aside. Your guide stays outside while you enter.

The room is dim, lit by candles inside coloured glass lamps. You call out a greeting, and in response a curtain is swept aside in front of you.

Sunlight pours in through the next room, illuminating a Tiktuk woman standing in front of a table. She is middle aged, with long black hair arranged in many tight braids, all swept off her face with a red and gold piece of cloth. She is wearing tied cloths of similar colours. Her eyes widen with familiarity.

"Welcome! I did not expect you to come. This must be about the boy...Osai?"

"Yes. You are Abraa?"

"I am. Come in. Sit down, be comfortable." She motions to a chair facing the window. You sit, and she draws the curtain behind you before walking around the table to the chair facing you. "I'll pour us some water," she continues, and pours from a metal jug into two half-gourds, presenting you with one before sitting.

"Now, where are my manners?" she says with an inward smile. "How are you? Is your family in good health?"

Time is 2:35 PM. Location as before.
Success breeds suspicion
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #17 (isolation #7) » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:13 pm

Post by Yaw »

"
I
did not send him to you. I simply spoke the messages given to me.

"You must understand that there are things I cannot say. The messages are personal, and I am sworn not to make the affairs of others public. But where it concerns you...I was told that there would be a time soon when he would need to be a warrior. I was shown your face, and told that you were the Master of the place where he should train, the school of Aloysius."

"You were told that he should learn the Elven art of Da-Tashi?"

"I know nothing about how Elves fight, or what you call it. I found it strange, as you do. There are many Tiktuk who could train Osai. But the Mothers have said that you should be the one to train him, so that is the message he was to hear. I do not know why, but I trust their judgement."

"And what do you know about Osai?"

"I met him yesterday for the first time, but I know his family. They are one of several that ask me to give them messages from the Mothers. There are not many of us who will do personal consultations; most Tiktuk do not use the crystal. I saw and heard other things about Osai when I asked the Mothers about him, but he seemed familiar with everything else. You could ask him."

I'll put on a time at the end of the conversation. Just want to give you a chance to ask more if you feel like it.
Success breeds suspicion
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #19 (isolation #8) » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:34 pm

Post by Yaw »

Time is 2:50 PM. Location as before.

To your surprise, the boy is still outside, talking with the Slith guard in Tiktuk. He notices your exit. "Ready to go?"

"Yes. Thank you for staying. You didn't have to."

"I wouldn't want you to get lost. I'll take you back to the main road."

The roads in the Tiktuk Quarter are narrow, and for the most part pass between Tiktuk housing complexes -- squat red buildings with an opening in the front through which you can see goats and hanging laundry. At one point you hear a "whoosh" overhead as a drake swoops down and plucks a cat off the street in front of you in its claws, wings barely missing the buildings on either side, and takes off into the sky with its meal in a flash of amethyst scales. You follow the drake's path upwards with your eyes. If only there were trees here...

After a bit of a walk you arrive at the Cenotaph, and amiably part from your guide. Leaving the grey obelisk's shadow, you pass into the Elvish Quarter to arrive back at your training hall.

Time is 3:20 PM. Location is your training hall.
Success breeds suspicion
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #21 (isolation #9) » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:35 pm

Post by Yaw »

I see what you mean about tenses. Present can be a bit clunky when it becomes "I do X, then I do Y..."

No interruptions, though. Let's make it around 4 PM, but feel free to just fast-forward it to your class.
Success breeds suspicion
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #23 (isolation #10) » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:37 pm

Post by Yaw »

Well, we should probably stop when you go to sleep and take some time to step out of role and reflect. In theory, midnight is the "match point", which no player passes before all players get there -- to avoid anyone getting several days ahead of other players in time. So that would make for a natural place to stop.

I really liked the "fire gathering" exercise with Tiakin and Whis -- it reminds me of an Arthur Hull listening skills technique, where you listen to the farthest thing away, then something farther away than that, and so forth. Might have to use this idea somewhere, just because the linkage is cool.

Anyway, you said 90-minute class...dusk is around 6:30PM, with a bit of overrun, so we'll say that scene ends at 8:10PM. Do feel free to include the other scene you had planned, since we're ending for now when you go to sleep. Or if you prefer to put it off, that's fine too.
Success breeds suspicion

Return to “Old Aamstaad”