A Brief Treatise On Magickal Theory And Practice

Older threads and ideas relating to the Amstaad RPG.
mikehart
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
Dourgrim Jr.

Post Post #12 (isolation #0) » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:40 pm

Post by mikehart »

Alright, after a talk with Yaw , we agree something needs to be done in regards to magic so I offered to try and come up with a system based upon D&D's magic system. I've come up with five schools of magic to use. Sorcery is the magic of manipulating energy to create in effect, something out of nothing. Examples of Sorcery would be a
fireball
, a
lightning bolt
, or
ray of frost
. Divination is the magic of manipulating time to see the past, present, and future. Divination also includes spells that would give someone more information than a person is normally privy to. Examples of Divination would be
scry
clairvoyance
, or
read thoughts
. Conjuration is the magic of bringing and sending manifestations of objects, creatures, or energy over distances and/or planes. Examples of conjuration would be
summon creature
teleport
cure minor wounds
, and
wall of iron
. Abjuration is the magic of manipulating energy and people to protect others, bend others to your will, or changing others basic qualities. Examples of Abjuration would be
enlarge person
magic shield
, and
hypnotize
. Alchemy is the magic of placing enchantments upon inanimate objects. Examples of Alchemy would be
create acid
create potion
, and
enchant weapon

i know this is very similar to the D&D rulebook but its really only to be used as a guide for creating spells and deciding the schools spells should belong to. tomorrow i will post how actual casting will be performed along with the costs required
Last edited by mikehart on Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
V/LA every weekend for awhile.

I officially owe Maruchan.
mikehart
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
Dourgrim Jr.

Post Post #13 (isolation #1) » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:58 am

Post by mikehart »

Alright here are my thoughts regarding giving players spells, limiting their amount of casting per day, and implementing how spells will be cast.

Creating Spells

Players creating spells will work in a submission faction. Whenever a player gets a skill rank in a spell school they will submit a spell for each additional spell slot they gain to mods in this fashion.

Spell Level:

Spell Name:

What will happen when spell is cast:

Description of the component(s) needed to cast the spell:

The mods will use this information to decide what the base damage/benefit this spell will create and possibly modify the components needed to cast the spell. A good rule of thumb will be to require a minimum of two types of component.

An example of a submitted spell by a player:

Spell Level:

Spell Name:
Fireball

A 5 foot diameter sphere of flame will shoot from the caster’s fingertip and explode with a 5-foot radius upon contact with any object. Will set aflame any flammable object caught in the explosion except the caster.

A small bit of sulfur.

An example of the finished spell submitted back to the player by the mods:

Spell Level:

Spell Name:
Fireball

A 5 foot diameter sphere of flame will shoot from the caster’s fingertip and explode with a 5-foot radius upon contact with any object. Will set aflame any flammable object caught in the explosion except the caster.

A small bit of sulfur and a somatic component or word of command (up to the mod)

Base Damage:
1d4 + POW

The base damage I just came up with off the top of my head so that may need to change.

As for when players will actually learn new spells, I am unsure on how to handle this. Two ideas I do have are for each new level you create 2 spells for that level and additional spells based upon your POW attribute. The formula for that would be POW/4(rounded down) additional spells. My second idea is to allow players: (average of all spell skill levels)+(POW/3). However these are more just thrown out to gauge reaction than to be the standard.

Limiting Spells per Day

The number of spells per day a caster may cast will be the number of spells that player knows + POW/3 rounded down. For instance, Bobo the Wondermage knows 7 spells and has a POW of 9. Bobo can cast 10 spells per day. If Bobo wishes he can cast 10 copies of the same spell or use all seven of his known spells. For a player to regain his ability to cast spells, he must get at least 8 hours of rest.

Casting a Spell

Casting a spell will be similar to the D&D mechanic. The player will decide what spell to cast and will expend the components to cast it. There will be three main types of components used in spells. Somatic, an arcane motion or other motion; verbal, a word of command or chant; and material, a bit of sulfur or other item are the three types. This is to allow some kind of restriction on casting. You can’t cast a spell with a verbal component if you can’t speak, you can’t cast a spell with a material component with items in both hands without dropping one, and etc. We will assume that all spellcasters have a material component pouch necessary to cast their spells.

so thats where i am right now. feedback would be appreciated

mikehart
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
Dourgrim Jr.

Post Post #15 (isolation #2) » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:58 am

Post by mikehart »

well material components aren't a neccessity. a spell could have purely vocal and somatic. as for spell level i included that to allow for fatigue with casting. say allow a certain amount of low level and lesser amount of higher level spells

mikehart
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
Dourgrim Jr.

Post Post #17 (isolation #3) » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:53 am

Post by mikehart »

ok. i'll work on it and see what i can do. i'll also modify my first post to account for dourgrims wording

mikehart
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
Dourgrim Jr.

Post Post #18 (isolation #4) » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:45 am

Post by mikehart »

as for Abjuration I added that because in my opinion we don't want sorcery to be too strong of a magic. i think alchemy would be good for enchantments put upon inanimate objects. potions, weapons, and the like. but i think we need a way for a magic user to be able to help a grouping of characters without being pure offense. i kind of see sorcery as the offensive school allowing for high powered fireballs and such and mundane things like lighting torches or boiling water. abjuration would allow passive casters to be helpful in groups by enhancing the abilities of others and if we allowed sorcery to handle that it seems to me that sorcery would just become way over powered.

mikehart
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
Dourgrim Jr.

Post Post #20 (isolation #5) » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:00 pm

Post by mikehart »

Limiting Spells per Day

A caster can cast as many spells per day as school skill level+(POW/2)/level of spell rounded down.

For instance BoBo the Wondermage has a power of 10 and has 5 levels in Sorcery. Bobo can cast 10 Level 1 spells, 5 Level 2 spells, 3 Level 3 spells, 2 Level 4 spells, and 2 Level 5 spells.

5+(10/2)=10
10/1=10
10/2=5
10/3=3
10/4=2
10/5=2

Return to “Old Aamstaad”