Linux Appreciation Thread

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #24 (isolation #0) » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:59 am

Post by Who »

I've been considering downloading Linux for a few weeks now, which distribution is best?

My impression of all the distributions:
Ubuntu is easy to install and stable but several people tell me not to do it because "proprietary bad". Also by default it uses Gnome but Mate Ubuntu also exists and doesn't use Gnome.

Debian is basically the same as Ubuntu but more difficult to install. Also the stable releases are super spread out so using old software? But that doesn't seem like a huge issue, other than security there isn't really much difference between software now and software 2 years ago. Though it isn't proprietary so all the people who say "proprietary bad" advocate for Debian.

Arch and Gentoo are shitloads of work and unstable. Manjaro removes the "shitloads of work" part of Arch but is still unstable.

Qubes has some interesting ideas, but is difficult more difficult to install than Ubuntu or Debian and also has issues with dual-booting.

Are any of these wrong? Am I missing anything important?
Who said that?
Chamber. It's all a conspiracy.
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #26 (isolation #1) » Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:32 pm

Post by Who »

As someone with an NVidia graphics card, I don't appreciate Debian's habit of putting barriers in the way of obtaining drivers, and that's pushing me towards Ubuntu.

Arch and Gentoo, especially if Manjaro isn't an option, seem like a lot of work for no payoff. Customizability is nice but I've been told that everything can be customized, Arch and Gentoo are just special in that they force you to choose everything yourself to start with as opposed to starting with presets and changing things later. The rolling releases may not be that unstable but as a newbie I'd rather the total stability of something like Debian. My familiarity with bash/zshell is that approximately once a month I find sed useful, so if I'm talking to a normal person I can call myself capable of using using the terminal but if I'm talking to someone who uses Gentoo I know absolutely nothing.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #29 (isolation #2) » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:46 pm

Post by Who »

In post 27, Skygazer wrote: I think part of the fun for me is the work haha. If you don't think you'll like it you probably won't!
I might, but:
1) I don't really have time for it.
2) The learning process seems kind of brutal/there's no starting point. I've been enjoying customizing Emacs recently, but only because it started off as an ordinary text editor. I tried learning all its fanciness at once a while ago and got nowhere.

I'm probably going to start with Ubuntu. Maybe switch to something else later but for now start with the easiest.
Who said that?
Or is it?

Return to “General Discussion”