Song Contest 201 (Results posted)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #2 (isolation #0) » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:43 pm

Post by ChannelDelibird »

Kicking off the third century with one of probably my three favourite acts working today (and the only one of the three to be eligible). I did, however, choose to be kind and not enter the 10-minute song from them that I really wanted to pick.
#greenshirtthursdays
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #31 (isolation #1) » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:17 am

Post by ChannelDelibird »

Spoiler: Reactions
Sweden // The Age of Vulture Culture - Diablo Swing Orchestra

Fair play; Pacifisticuffs is a great name for an album. There are some great ingredients here - I usually love almost anything brass, I like the strings here as well as some of the guitars - but it's not really working for me. It feels like they're throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks - which is an attitude that I think is cool and can produce some amazing results - but because it's all filtered through this Gogol Bordello-y style it's mostly quite grating for me. And I don't really get on with the vocals. I think that, if I had more affection for the various genres from which are being borrowed here, my mind would be absolutely blown by this. But it's mostly just getting on my nerves instead.

Paraguay // Matri Addulurata - Inchiuvatu

The spooky folk-metal vibe is really not one for me, especially with a character from Jabba the Hutt's palace on lead vocals. The lo-fi aesthetic played into the atmosphere, though, a choice that I appreciated even though I usually prefer my sound quality less fuzzy. But I'm definitely not going to be returning to this.

Mali // Inhaler - Foals
(my entry!)

Since I very, very belatedly paid them any attention starting a couple of years ago, Foals have basically become my favourite currently operating band. They have excellent range, from weepy epics like Spanish Sahara to disco-tinged bops like much of last year's very enjoyable album Life Is Yours. But they also know how to absolutely burn down an arena with righteous rock bangers like very few else, and this is them at close to their best on that front.

I love the let-it-all-out roar of the chorus but it's the build-up (and coda) that really make the song, IMO. That initial guitar riff and the way in which it grows that pressure are mesmerising, and the long come-down has this amazing feeling of being pushed along by your momentum alone after an explosion of energy, barely even registering what you're doing. Woof. And seen live - well, it's an utter face-melter.

Scythia // Bury My Lovely - October Project

The vocals on this are so big that they kinda overpower the instrumentation, IMO, but otherwise I'm having a good time with this (and they are some serious pipes; like, damn). The harmonies are really satisfying, and it's a very hypnotic drum beat. Could see myself coming back to this one.

Chile // Mentía - Miranda!

I guess 'Miranda!' is shorter than 'Brandon Flores and Los Asesinos'. This is fine. The drum machine feels a little bit leaden.

Kazakhstan // What Is Delicious? Who Swarms? - The Callous Daoboys

Even before I started the song, this is right up there with the least appealing song titles that I have ever seen. It, er, did not subvert my expectations.

Venezuela // Caution: Dangerous Curves Ahead - Maylene and the Sons of Disaster

Well, I mean, I liked it more than the last one.

United Kingdom // Springwatch Theme - David Poore

I was really considering ranking this below both Kazakhstan and Venezuela on principle - like, yes, it's pretty, but I don't really understand why you'd listen to this instead of, like, any fiddle-led folk instrumental that goes on for more than 60 seconds. But I will go ahead on the assumption that this was entered earnestly and not judge it too harshly, even though I personally don't get the appeal of sub-minute songs basically at all. I like to luxuriate in a good song; when they're this short, you barely even have time to register that they've started before they're over. So this won't be bottom of my ranking because it's not actively annoying (and, again, what little there is of it is perfectly nice) but there's never a world where it can threaten big points with me.

Belobog // Dimension Y - Parius

We're still very much out of my comfort zone here, but this is the realm of metal where I'm simply not stimulated by the style or subject matter rather than actively annoyed by exhaustingly overdriven instruments. Some of the bass stuff here is very good; I'm just not really one for the 'pontificating in space' lyrics and so I don't have the emotional hook that I would need to connect with the instrumentals more than generic appreciation of parts of it.

Galápagos // Metal Fatigue - Allan Holdsworth

Heavy metal fatigue, indeed, mate.

Peru // Pretty in Possible - Caroline Polachek

I bought Desire, I Want to Turn Into You a few weeks ago as I was curious about all the critical acclaim. It's an album that's grown on me slowly, although ultimately not really taken hold in my soul like I hoped that it would. There are several points on the record where I can absolutely see why people adore it, though - it's a terrifically maximalist pop record, and my favourite moments from it encapsulate that attitude (the absolutely insane vocal intro to the title track, and the bagpipes on Blood and Butter). Polachek has incredible control over her powerful voice. But it's packed full of tracks that, for me, fall into the 'pretty and hummable but not much else' area, and this is one of those. I like Pretty in Possible and there's every chance that it gets double-digit points from me given the contest so far, but for me the whole song kind of just reduces itself to that "da da da-da" refrain which leaves it feeling very slight.

Gibraltar // Positively 4th Street - Bob Dylan

This certainly is a track from Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits. I respect Dylan a lot more than I actively enjoy his work, even if I am not entirely immune to the likes of Like a Rolling Stone or All Along the Watchtower. But I've never quite been able to hop over the barrier that is that nasally, nasally voice. I was surprised to find out that this is his first appearance in the Song Contest, though! It'll get some points from me, but I'm not in love with it.

eSwatini // Falling Asleep at the Wheel - Holly Humberstone

Pleased to have the opportunity to try out some of Humberstone's work as I'd seen her name bandied about here and there but didn't have any context for it. Her voice is a little bit too much on the airy side for me on first listen here but there's plenty to like about the track otherwise. That quietly skittering bass provides a really cool unnerved effect underpinning the whole thing effectively, and that bittersweet, almost formless guitar wail that comes in towards the end does good work too. I'm never quite completely swept up in it but there's definitely some promise here.

Gabon // Rats - Khai Dreams

Solid slice of bedroom emo-pop, this. I dig the chunkiness of the processed percussion and it's got a cute melody. I don't know how long it'll live in the memory, but I had a nice time with it.

Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth // Die - Buck-Tick

None of them are especially within my wheelhouse, but there's an interesting mix of genres and influences here that makes it kind of fascinating anyway. We're more in 'respect the artistry' territory than 'I vibe with it' but it kept pulling out little moments that surprised me from start to finish - some great, ambitious production choices that paid off.
#greenshirtthursdays

Return to “General Discussion”