False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #4277 (isolation #400) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:06 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 98, Firebringer wrote:Didn't help that peregrine tried to make himself IC confirmed and town spotted his lie.
Fun fact: if it weren't for the town spotting the lie, the scum (by which I mean, me) were basically going, "Fuck fuck FUCK" at that reveal and it would have worked brilliantly.

While it ended up backfiring because town spotted the lie, had they not, the scum sure as fuck didn't. It had me fooled until I had reason to doubt it.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #4278 (isolation #401) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:09 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 117, PeregrineV wrote:She was my first scum read after I replaced in.... :cry:
Which is why the prospect of you as conftown terrified me so much and why I was laughing my ass off that the player who frankly was almost our next nightkill even
without
the reveal was being lynched.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #4279 (isolation #402) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:15 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 119, Titus wrote:Tbh, Mastina was head scum not me. I was pretty demotivated. The kills were to help her, not me.
Not true. Pine was the head scum. When he died, I inherited the role of head scum, but I left many cheeky scumfuck comments in-thread (which you can find in my game iso) where I said, "this is YOUR scumgame, not MINE". And I meant it! Pine was our leader.

I
suggested
the Molla vanillaize, but he was the one who submitted it (okay so technically it was Gin); I
suggested
the Nacho nightkill, but I wasn't the one to send the message to Firebringer. (That was Gin technically, but Pine slot all the same.) If you look at the early PT pre-guilty, Pine (with a side of Gin) was our driving force. I happened to beat Pine to the punch in suggesting a lot of ideas, but he was the one who really fleshed them out and put the work into them. He also gained leadership back when I revived him since he was the one formulating the plan for us. This really was Pine's scumgame, not mine.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #4280 (isolation #403) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:18 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 126, SirCakez wrote:Mastina didn't react AT ALL to PV being town
That's sketch af
To be fair. I had real-life. I wasn't going to react regardless of my alignment. I figured that a town-me would have a chance to react to anything pertinent come morning unless nightkilled, and if nightkilled a town-me would have a last will. As a result, a scum me didn't need to react. That was a real-life thing, not a scum thing.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #4281 (isolation #404) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:21 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 131, Desperado wrote:ive never seen mastin play scum this way
That's because I wasn't supposed to be the endgame scum player! I play in entirely different ways depending on:
-Whether I am aiming to die (this game)
-Whether I am aiming for a perfect/near-perfect game (most games)
-Whether I am aiming to be the last scum alive (not this game, and not most games, but some games).

The thing is, because I almost never am aiming to die it's the version of my scumgame people see least often. Literally the one and only other time I've done this much distancing/bussing was Left 4 Dead. (Which is why my heart skipped a beat when Molla actually brought that game up, because he had every fucking reason to do so and was absolutely right about it being the same plan.)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #4282 (isolation #405) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:28 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 153, Infinity 324 wrote:If mastina had more influence though, town would be fucked
Yeah that's the thing though.

As scum, I know I'm not going to be listened to--people don't listen to me as town, so when I am scum I very explicitly exploit this. I use people not listening to me to push things which look good, yet I know won't actually go through. I've weaponized a lack of influence. So as scum. I don't win by getting people to follow me. I win by letting other players do the leading with me staying on the sidelines. I was on the sidelines for TheThinker. I was intended to be on the sidelines for Pine. (The guilty fucked that up.) I was on the sidelines for SirCakez. Basically most of the mislynches I was doing my own thing on, while still letting them go through.

I don't need to influence games as scum. I win specifically because I let town tear themselves apart. It might not be as glorious a tactic as charging in and power-lynching town after town after town. But it's simple, it's pragmatic, and most of all, it fucking WORKS.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #4284 (isolation #406) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:32 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 154, Desperado wrote:Mastin not having influence as scum means she's playing like shit
Quite the contrary. People think that good scumplay requires being at the forefront of discussion. It does not. The ideal level of influence for scum is "enough to not become an obvious lynch when people want to look for lynches in players doing fuckall, but NOT enough to be the main proponent of this idea". Middle-of-the-road influence: enough where you are making some noise and impacting the game, but not enough where you're the one who is most obviously the cause of continuous town deaths.

For influencing the game, scum use the nightkill. That was how I controlled the game. I didn't have to control the day; I just controlled the way things went during the night.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #4287 (isolation #407) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:44 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 4286, Desperado wrote:but optimal scum play obviously includes controlling the day phase
Yes it does!
But optimal scumplay involves holding (lowish-)middle-of-the-road
influence
over the day.
The two should not be confused as being synonymous.

You can control how the game goes as a lurker.
You cannot influence how the game goes as a lurker.

Optimal scum play involves controlling the day, and we largely accomplished that. Very specifically, we were keeping things from heading in one particular direction. (For instance, one influence on our nightkills? Keeping the number of players with scumreads on scum balanced--specifically, many players scumread 2/3 scum and townread a third, just having WHICH 2/1 be different. We wanted to keep it from becoming too unanimous, since if everyone agreed on two correct scumreads even if the third was wrong, then that town unity would be devastating and by and large we kept that from happening, which was my main concern.)

There were certain things we couldn't control, this is true. Heartless had very strong influence on MoI/zefiend being scum, and that was not something we could safely challenge. (Going for a 3-man win would likely have ensured that the town won.) But we controlled more than we did not control, even though we influenced a whole lot less. From the get-go, we were in control of the game. The Pine guilty fucked that control up, but it didn't remove it altogether. It just made it so that we had to work harder to actively maintain the gamestate we wanted.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #4288 (isolation #408) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:01 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 311, Infinity 324 wrote:I disagree, I think she thinks it's optimal at least and is doing it for towncred
Correct! It was in fact optimal.
I just figured that there was no harm done to me no matter who I killed or didn't kill.
It was the best of the three available strategies (no-lynching would've been abysmal for town; lynching would've lynched either Molla or TWIE in that 4p mylo), but it was still not something which actually hurt me to suggest, while it was something that theoretically was beneficial to the town, thus, towncred.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #4289 (isolation #409) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:04 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 314, Infinity 324 wrote:You gut was definitely in the right place, you said some good reasons to scumread mastina but I disagreed with a lot of them.
So fucking much this.

Honestly Nero if you just didn't bother to give any reasons (because most reasons you give are absolute bullshit) and just blurted out who the scum are, you'd be a much stronger player. Your accuracy wouldn't be 100%. But if your reasons weren't so shitty, you'd get a lot less flak for your reads which ARE right.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #4290 (isolation #410) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:06 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 326, TheRealGin-N-Tonic wrote:Btw mastina isn't explaining her plans in the scum chat so I'm just as in the dark about her plans as ya'll are.
:?:
I thought I was pretty clear about what I was doing and why?
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #4292 (isolation #411) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:14 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 366, Firebringer wrote:mastina is now yelling at me again.
Point of clarity, as my thank-you said afterwords, I wasn't so much yelling at you as I was yelling at the setup, because if you hadn't given me the information I had asked for, then I would've been absolutely fucked; TWIE would've caught me right then and there and I'd have been lynched. (I lacked information about how Firebringer would word something, so I was ranting that this is the sort of thing which I felt should've been immediately available. To be fair. I as a mod am guilty of this myself, but I still bitch about it as a player which is one reason I don't mind the players bitching at me when I mod since I know I'd do the same in their place. :P)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #4293 (isolation #412) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:20 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 409, Firebringer wrote:Just thinking, mastina doesn't wait this long in any town game to vote.
Actually, I do. Steven Universe 2 tells you as much.
Not that you're wrong though. It was a scumclaim--because I wasn't willing to cast the
first
vote. THAT part? Yeah that was scummy. In Steven Universe 2 I was conftown so me not being the first vote made sense. Here, not so much.

I'd have voted before dance. Not a moment sooner, but also not a moment later.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #4295 (isolation #413) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:24 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 417, Nero Cain wrote:Do you think anyone read my last will?
I did, but I sure as fuck wasn't going to deal with the shit in there unless I was given good reason to.

But believe me if I was given reason to your last will would've backfired and made me more town thanks to my response to it.
I held back because I figured there wasn't a need to respond to it since apparently nobody else was and that suited me just fine. Less work on my part. (Basically I could've responded and gotten extra towncred for it, but it just...wasn't worth the effort.)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #4296 (isolation #414) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:28 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 429, Nero Cain wrote:TWIE asks Mastina who she'd nk and Mastina WK's him and says she WOULDN'T kill him. Why is that not a scum claim. lol
Because I have been asked that same exact question by players when I have been town
and answered it
TWIE was asking a question he knew that I would give a reasonably good answer to regardless of my alignment. It's not something which I could only answer as scum.

I can, have, and DO answer scum-specific questions as town.
In fact, something people commonly ask me to do is to give an example of situational awareness for the current game if I were scum: for me to write the psychological profile outlying the strengths/weaknesses of that player and how to handle them. I will make it clear that I can only take my best guess...but then I oblige them and write one anyway.

I am incredibly self-aware as town and it is for that reason that I can be self-aware as scum.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #4305 (isolation #415) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:49 pm

Post by mastina »

TheRealGin-N-Tonic wrote:You mean forced perfection? Like she revises the post instead of posting the draft
I actually DO do this, but I do it as both alignments. It's thanks to a combination of bipolar disorder conflicting with autism.
My bipolar disorder has me often say the first thing in my mind. My autism tends to word things in a way which are often not great.

But I've learned to pause.
So I stop. I hesitate. And then I go, "do I want to post this?", and half the time the answer is "nope!", so I revise it until it's right or scrap it--perfection in my posts.

But I do it equally as town and as scum. Probably more as town than as scum.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #4307 (isolation #416) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:53 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 4304, Infinity 324 wrote:I don't feel bad, I'm honestly kind of proud of myself for catching mastina having never played with her before lol
That's not the challenge.

The REAL fucking challenge is identifying me as town after seeing me as scum.
Do THAT and you'll have something to be proud of.

No seriously. I mean it. You as town. Identify me correctly as town. After this game. First time, first try.
You do that.
You will have EVERY right to be proud of yourself!
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #4310 (isolation #417) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:23 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 4308, Infinity 324 wrote:It's like every post is a dramatic speech.
That's because as scum I see myself as the supervillain (so obviously a good supervillain is going to gloat! You're not a real supervillain if you can't talk to your doomed enemies for half an hour about your superiority!), and as town I see myself as the hero. (Which incidentally is why I have an ego problem and am seen as arrogant since clearly heroes can't fail. Except, I do.) Dramatic speech is just how I naturally think. It's just a matter of whether the speech is meant to rally the masses to eliminate evil, or to laugh maniacally as they dance on puppet strings.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #4312 (isolation #418) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:00 am

Post by mastina »

Not really; we needed to keep you alive for reasons.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #4355 (isolation #419) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:49 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 4319, ThinkBig wrote:Good game all. Mastina did a great job. I'm glad LyLo wasn't lost at a no lynch.
Incidentally I could've earned an achievement for letting that happen but that is just NOT something you willingly would do. I have standards. I was pretty pissed the game ended so meekly. I wanted it to be a resounding finish, not a whimpering town death.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #4357 (isolation #420) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 4341, Firebringer wrote:The Death Star never getting used was a big sad thing for me.
I regretted it, too! But if you wanted the scum to use it, you should have made it so it wouldn't be so fucking bad for them to actually use it! We'd have been punished hard for actually using those powers.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #4358 (isolation #421) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:59 pm

Post by mastina »

(Like. The amount of epicness which would be from a mylo mislynch and then using the death star to finish the game would've been absolutely thematically appropriate. If we could realistically have used the death star to end the game after a mylo mislynch, I might have strongly defended MoI/zefiend and pushed for a mislynch JUST so that we could actually end the game by fucking using the death star and BLOWING THE TOWN TO HELL. But because it failed on rogue crew members and we didn't know who the rogue crew was other than that Heartless was on it, we couldn't risk it.)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #4363 (isolation #422) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:17 pm

Post by mastina »

Have fun reading~
<3
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #4364 (isolation #423) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:28 pm

Post by mastina »

This is probably one of the strongest highlights:
In post 240, mastina wrote:Do we want to use the vanillaize?
Good vanillaize targets will always be: BBMolla
, TWIE, and Desperado.

Remember, while we no longer have a vig to worry about,
there's always the risk of a lolsurprise guilty or lolwagon on Pine forming.

I'd like to think we should use one shot of the vanillaize relatively early, and use the second in the midgame. This would ensure we get some immediate use out of it, but we don't burn through it before we've got some nice juicy PRs to eliminate.

Thoughts?
Do I know how to call it, or do I know how to call it?
:P
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #4367 (isolation #424) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:56 pm

Post by mastina »

To be fair I wasn't the driving force while Pine was alive, it was only when the guilty fucked us over that we needed to have a new leader. :shifty:

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”