California Trilogy - Dantès in Fresno (Game Over!)

xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #13 (isolation #0) » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:53 pm

Post by xyzzy »

[For the purpose of remaining completely neutral to my role, I am going to use gender-neutral words, like person, they, and e, rather than man/woman, he/she, or he/her.]

"It seems I've shown up in this... whatever this place is; I really hope we can get going soon; I have to go... somewhere, tonight. I think it's tonight, anyway... what time is it?" says the masked person; it is a lie, though. They do not know who they are, or even where they are. "These robes are very nice," e says, in a shallow attempt to create small talk. Actually, e didn't like the robes at all; this one was very uncomfortable where a bit of wine had spilled on it. At least it was black; surely this person in grey would like it less to be soaked in red wine.

Wondering whether their host would have provided something in a less breakable container - perhaps a bottle of water with a lid or something - e walks to the table with the refresfments, not bothering to look at the mysterious masked strangers too long. Some of them merely stood there, looking frightened; still others walked into corners or simply paced back and forth; some also went to get beverages, or perhaps to engage in small talk; though, if the man in grey was speaking the truth and they all had the same mysterious amnesia, then there wasn't much of anything exciting to discuss.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #130 (isolation #1) » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:41 pm

Post by xyzzy »

I don't really have a long time to post anything extremely useful as of right now, but I may as well vote based on my suspicions.

I think the claim that expressing happiness that the game has started is a scumtell is stupid and random, and that's why my vote is:

Vote: PlaysWithSquirrels
, Skruffs, LML
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #156 (isolation #2) » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:40 pm

Post by xyzzy »

I must agree; what Dragon Phoenix did isn't scummy.

I find it more and more interesting every time people attack Dragon Phoenix; he hasn't done anything scummy yet; in fact, I'd say he's been one of the most protown players of all!
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #159 (isolation #3) » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:32 pm

Post by xyzzy »

I've just felt weird about Mgm, so I looked into it...
Under the current circumstances, I have fairly little to go on. Since CES got me in a lot of trouble in another recent (finished) game (Mafia 60), let's pre-empt a repeat of that by doing the following:
Vote:Cogito Ergo Sum
I can't really tell if this is supposed to be random or not; I often feel as scum that I have to justify my random voting, though, but that's just me.
So what makes it okay for you to use it then?
This is a bit of a misrepresentation; random listing isn't the same as using a list because you actually find several people scummy.
Gee, if you want to get your word limit, why not call me extremely passionate, that'd give you an extra word to use that counts towards the total. If you read the rules you'll know votes don't count.
This is pretty protown. Ignorance is a good scum tool - ignornace of the rules, even more so.
Erm, I'm more interested in finding out why I'm even on so many lists to start with even if it's at the end. I don't remember doing anything suspicious that's worth voting me.
I never like these "lol why r u votign me? I not scummys!" posts. His defense is basically, "uh, what?"
I'd be surprised. He literally wrote the book on the subject.
This feels a little like appeal to authority. Basing the odds that jeep is scum on his skill as a player is stupid and pointless.
To make it clear: I don't particularly like using Concordet voting this early in the game when everything is still too hazy, so I'll do things the old fashioned way.
Translation: I on't want to take advantage of the tools I've been given. I don't want other people taking advantage of them, either.
Or the reason is that lists offer the scum too much outs. I'm already seeing people being a lot less strict about justifying their votes for people the further on in the list you get.
It's not strictly a "vote"; it's saying, "Well, I'd prefer this, but I'll go with this if it's what everyone else wants."
Where I'm standing 'random' and 'arbitrary' mean pretty much the same. Though using dice tags (which we can't do here) carry more prove a vote isn't malicious.
This sounds like you're suggesting we can't use votes just bcause they're random first votes. I don't like this....
Neither really. If you just say something is random or arbitrary, you have no proof to back it up. Being truly random with actual dice tags begs the question why someone couldn't come up with a reason. I'd categorrize pseudo dice tags under the list of non-tells like the average claimed arbitrary vote.
They call it random voting because it's... (surprise!) random.Coincidentally, the only people who start with any information are the mafia - are you saying that, by making a non-random vote, you're scum?
If you use a list, you should do the legwork and explain why every single individual is on it and why each of them is in the position they're in. Otherwise, we're still clueless on voting reasons if it comes to a deadline lynch.
I don't like this suggestion that every psuedovote should have a reason; votes are useful NO MATTER WHAT, especially votes that CAN NOT BRING A LYNCH before deadline.

Mgm is acting scummy; all of his posts are a tiny bit scummy, though, so it might just be playstyle. If so, it's a useless one.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #195 (isolation #4) » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:36 pm

Post by xyzzy »

Wait, how was I misrepresenting Mgm AT ALL? I took what he said and I sais what it sounded like. The fact that he's good at not looking scummy doesn't mean that when someone says he's scum it means he isn't.

I'm pretty sure I made over 9000 grammatical errors in that sentence. Oh well, as least everything in this post is speled right. :P
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #246 (isolation #5) » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:17 pm

Post by xyzzy »

Stop trying to discourage people from complimenting me.
Stop trying to encourage people to use appeal to authority.
I don't see much of a problem in praising someone. If they are really scummy, that praise really isn't gonna make a whole lot of a difference.
Very, very, very
[...]
very, very wrong. Good reviews stick with people; if I think someone's scum then 20 people say he
must be
town, then I'm going to agree with them because I'm inclined to believe townies and among that many people most will be townies (unless it's that 200 player game?).
Lee, please elaborate on the changes in your Condorcet lists:

You go from this:

Vote: MoS, Adele, Zinadras, Scruffs, [Jeep, MGM, Xyzzy]

To this:

Unvote, Vote: Scruffs, MoS, Zindaras, MGM, PWS, Xyzzy

Without any real explanation, with no posts in between.
If he changed it in immediately the next post, then it would be scummy, but without agreement on opinions, then there'll never be a lynch, unless by some amazing coincidence a majority of players agree at the very beginning.
I agree. On top of that, we don't have any real evidence that Skruffs has actively overlooked Thesp. If Thesp had posted something suspicious or ambiguously suspicious, it would be more important. I've greeted plenty of people with that kind of enthusiasm.
"And if
I've
done it, it must not be scummy!"
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #253 (isolation #6) » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:18 am

Post by xyzzy »

I do not understand this post at all.
Yeah ,it was poorly worded. >.>

Basically, I was saying that it's okay for people to change their opinions on the game, and to tell someone that this has to take a long time in a deadlined game is to ask that they help the scum.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #273 (isolation #7) » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:02 pm

Post by xyzzy »

Xyzzy - What do you personally think about the YAY THESP? Do you think I was tryign to accolade THesp to the point where people would say he's town? Do you think I was appealing to authority? Do you think I am scum buddying up to someone I know is town? Looking for help in defending myself? Or saying hi?
I disagree that if 20 people say someone is town, that you will think he is town. IF you have a reason to believe he is NOT town, you should say so. Going with the flow = mislynches because then you are basically just a swing vote with no opinion of your own.
I thikn you were assuming he
must be
town because he's good.
Adele is fun to read, and I agree with her opinions for the most part. Skruffs haters, pay attention:
I'm not going to analyze her at this time, because I like the way she is playing this game.
This is scummy in so many ways.... and ironically for the same reason as your Thesp comments.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #289 (isolation #8) » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:16 am

Post by xyzzy »

Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:
xyzzy wrote:
Xyzzy - What do you personally think about the YAY THESP? Do you think I was tryign to accolade THesp to the point where people would say he's town? Do you think I was appealing to authority? Do you think I am scum buddying up to someone I know is town? Looking for help in defending myself? Or saying hi?
I disagree that if 20 people say someone is town, that you will think he is town. IF you have a reason to believe he is NOT town, you should say so. Going with the flow = mislynches because then you are basically just a swing vote with no opinion of your own.
I thikn you were assuming he
must be
town because he's good.
Why would he have to be town because he's good? That's just patently silly, xyzzy. Think before you type, please.
xyzzy wrote:
Adele is fun to read, and I agree with her opinions for the most part. Skruffs haters, pay attention:
I'm not going to analyze her at this time, because I like the way she is playing this game.
This is scummy in so many ways.... and ironically for the same reason as your Thesp comments.
Do you think scum would play like that? I personally think it shows Skruffs isn't afraid or excessively out to save himself. I think townies are more likely to just play while scum have a tendency to be more cautious.

So I ask you, xyzzy: is that really such a scummy comment if you look at it motivewise?
Motive? Well, any answer to this is going to be WIFOMy, but I'll try...

If I'm scum, I want to look protown in the eyes of as many players as possible. Therefore, anyone who isn't obviously town needs to look the part; they need to be told that they're town, because they aren't making it obvious enough alone.

Hence, anyone who isn't very obviously town should be told they're town if they're useful.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #377 (isolation #9) » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:22 am

Post by xyzzy »

I'm just posting to say that my internet connection went down yesterday while I was in the middle of a rather lengthy PBPA of LML, and I'm sorry I couldn't get it in. Hopefully I'll have a working connection when I get home, and I'll rewrite it. :)
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #476 (isolation #10) » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:47 pm

Post by xyzzy »

Gaspar wrote: but I don't think it's a huge issue
Nothing is EVER "Not a huge issue". I don't think you're scum from this, but please don't ever suggest that some possible analysis isn't important. Doing that hands that particular component of the game to the mafia, and we need to keep them from getting ANYWHERE.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #489 (isolation #11) » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:14 am

Post by xyzzy »

Hmm... I guess this is my final list.