mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #565 (isolation #0) » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:22 pm

Post by mathcam »

Just checking in. Give me a couple of days to re-read.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #579 (isolation #1) » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:08 pm

Post by mathcam »

Okay, I'm up to speed.

First, let me clarify a couple of things that Spamwise said:
Spamwise wrote: I miss my old office. There were guitars and surfboards and stuff.
should have been
Spamwise wrote: I miss my old office. There were guitars and surfboards and stuff. Wait, just kidding -- I'm really just confusing people by saying things that weren't given to me in my role PM. I should really keep that stuff to myself.
Second, when he wrote
Spamwise wrote:I can vouch that the office of Jack Johnson is pro-town, otherwise my vote would be somewhere else.
he clearly meant
Spamwise wrote: This game hurts my head. I'll refrain from vouching things about this game when I don't really understand how it all -- namely offices, role, and motives -- fit together.
Finally,
Spamwise wrote:Holy crap, I think we've done something bad wagoning viper (if my supposition about his role is correct)
should read
Spamwise wrote:Dur....I like eggs. I've got mail!

There, I think that settles that.

For my own thoughts:

1) Why aren't we focusing on BlueMonick's parting words that he was bagged by his own scummate? I realize that this isn't the optimal way of hunting down scum, but it's stupid to pretend it's not there. If we can figure out who he's talking about, the correct play is to lynch him/her (and consider placing some restrictions on bluemonick).

2) There's a strong buddy-buddy feeling between Ibaesha and Yosarian, which is slightly disturbing, but I think this is mostly because they're 2 of the few people who are consistently making valid points (along with Fuldu and probably a couple of others). It's also
so
buddy-buddy that I doubt they'd be this blatant if they were scum together.

3) There seems to be some confusion about names vs. offices, or maybe I'm misreading something. When ibaesha and I switched, we didn't just switch offices, we switched our names as well. It seems common sense (and has been argued) that motives must not switch.

4) Does MBL's opening post about roller skates make sense to someone other than me?

5) BabyJesus is a fine target for now. He never really starts playing until he's down to the final 5 -- he can be a pretty good player at that point, but he's useless now.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #584 (isolation #2) » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:21 am

Post by mathcam »

Fuldu wrote: I'm not enthusiastic about a Baby Jesus lurker lynch, but don't presently have any other leads I prefer, either.
mathcam wrote: 1) Why aren't we focusing on BlueMonick's parting words that he was bagged by his own scummate? I realize that this isn't the optimal way of hunting down scum, but it's stupid to pretend it's not there. If we can figure out who he's talking about, the correct play is to lynch him/her (and consider placing some restrictions on bluemonick).
?
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #588 (isolation #3) » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:33 am

Post by mathcam »

More food for thought: What's the deal with the offices opening? So far, the two offices opened have been the people lynched each day. This, while almost certainly not coincidence, also is most certainly not the end of the story -- why would Yaw keep us informed of what doors were open or not if it was just telling us who we had lynched. Presumably someone has a role that takes advantage of this, or causes more doors to open, or something. Hmm.

Yosarian: What's your deal? Do you not have a role now? Or just not have an office?

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #590 (isolation #4) » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:42 am

Post by mathcam »

Oh right, I remember you saying that earlier. I wasn't asking about alignment, since that's almost always (except, apparently, for bluemonick) a waste of time. Let me leave it like this: I'd like to know as much as you can shed about the game mechanics of having your office destroyed, without revealing anything that would hamper the town -- or, if you're scum, I'd like you to confess immediately.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #592 (isolation #5) » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:03 am

Post by mathcam »

Since other people don't seem to be acknowledging the argument, I suppose I'll chug ahead. To reiterate, I'd like to determine to whom bluemonick was referring when he wrote
bluemonick wrote:Btw, Nabbed by my Own Scum Partner.
I'll call this person Player X.

The candidates: Fuldu, ibaesha, Pooky, spectrumvoid, TheCesspit, Masterchief, Colonel Kurtz, BabyJesus, Max

I arrived at the list of candidates by taking the bluemonick lynching party, throwing out Fritz and BMcQ (both being dead), and TSS (who chucked on his vote after blue's quote).

Of the remaining candidates to be X, I think there are a couple of solid options:

1) X=Masterchief. He was on my scumdar after day 1, and if we're looking for people in the set of people whom bluemonick might have felt betrayed by, interesected with the set of people who seemed scummy getting on the bluemonick bandwagon, then I don't think we'll have to look much farther than
Masterchief wrote:I don't think this bandwagon is going to do much, but whatever.
Unvote Vote:bluemonick
combined with
Masterchief wrote:I joined becasue if i didn't, it would look like i would be protecting him.
2) X=Max. Max was also on my scumdar after day 1. Max placed the next to last vote, and the last vote before blue's quote. He also wrote
Max wrote: we're 3 from lynch does bluemonick realise that
a post that feels an awful lot like a reminder/warning to his co-scum.

3) X=Fuldu. Fuldu's not really on my scumdar for other reasons, but if there's one person that can be most said to have "nabbed" bluemonick, it would be Fuldu. Fuldu made the (very valid) argument that started the bandwagon. and threw on the first vote. I'm not ready to go after Fuldu for this, but if it comes down to the final 3 and we haven't figured out who blue's partner is, Fuldu would be a strong candidate.

Everyone else is a less likely option. Of these, I only want to point out Ibaesha. I first was leaning toward putting her in the "almost certainly not X" category because of her prolonger seemingly-sincere arguments with blue yesterday, but then I started thinking that if anything was making blue frustrated and feeling persecuted, it was probably these arguments. So Ibaesha is probably my 4th highest candidate.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #593 (isolation #6) » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:07 am

Post by mathcam »

Yosarian2 wrote:Umm...I don't see how I can without claiming both what, if anything, was in my office, and then claiming what happened to it. If the town wants me to do that, I don't have any problem with it, and I understand the curiosity involved.
Well, if there's nothing you can say, there's nothing you can say. I'm not really interested in your stuff, more just
you,
e.g. something like:

"I work in the hallway since I no longer have an office. I don't have a character name any more."

At this point, as you mention, I'm only interested in it for curiosity reasons, but the sooner we figure out the game mechanics, the better, I think.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #598 (isolation #7) » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:56 am

Post by mathcam »

zu_Faul wrote:It couldn't be that Bluemonick just wanted to confuse us?
Right. Because we saw how sophisticated his play was leading
up
to his death, it's likely he put considerable thought in to how the game would play out
after
his death.

And even if he was totally yanking our chain, it's not like it's any
less
likely that the people I've named are scum. Plus, the only two people I've suggested actively going after are people I'd already found scummy from day 1.
Yos wrote:Actually, at the time I was suspicious that it might be Brian McQueso who was his scumbuddy, but that's clearly not true.
Yeah, me too. But that the initial guess was wrong doesn't mean we should stop looking.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #625 (isolation #8) » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:34 pm

Post by mathcam »

Hm. Nice post, inHim.

I continue to think that bluemonick's parting post should not be ignored. Since inhim's bought himself a little slack, I'll
Vote: Max.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #640 (isolation #9) » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:26 am

Post by mathcam »

But combining his defense with this point about Blue does make the argument pretty strong -- If Yosarian and blue were scum together, I think we can pretty safely neglect most of the intricate distancing schemes from consideration. In fact, this is true for anyone, not only Yosarian, and is also the reason I think it's silly to dismiss Blue's turning in of his scummate on the grounds that it was probably a clever ruse on Blue's part -- If Blue were capable of something that crafty, he wouldn't have been lynched.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #704 (isolation #10) » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:21 am

Post by mathcam »

Vote: BabyJesus.

First, on a meta-game note:
BabyJesus wrote:The fact that you don;t believe I have put up a good defense has no bearing on the actual truth of the matter - which is that nothing I have done is a scum indication.
This is pure drivel.
You
don't get to decide whether or not anything you've done is scummy (let alone the question of whether or not you even
know
if you've done anything scummy or not), and even if you did, we would be under no obligation to believe you. The extent to which we believe your defense
is
the truth of the matter.

Now, on to the actual argument.
BabyJesus wrote: looks like my "mason" buddy isn't ebing very helpful....
The obvious attack here, which has already been made, is that it's extremely scummy of BJ to claim mason when he's not actually a mason. The (somewhat) valid defense is that the quotes around "mason" do indicate that he was acknolwedging that this was not a standard mason. Nonetheless, the "(somewhat)" is in the last sentence because it was nonetheless an intentionally-misleading remark, that relied on Ibby (or me, being the former Ibby) explaining the situation. Why not explain the situation in full? Or really, as a pro-town player, what's the advantage of being so opaque? And this brings me to ....

Why claim this at all? Especially given your later explanations that you know that neither you or Ibby know anything about each others roles...

Exactly how did you expect your buddy to be helpful?

If you understood that Ibby had no ties to you whatsoever (except for the ability to talk to you at night), then how could you expect her to be helpful? Since you knew she couldn't, why on earth would you imply that she could? There's just no way to reconcile this if you're a pro-town player.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #717 (isolation #11) » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:21 pm

Post by mathcam »

Fuldu: Sorry, I must have missed that. Though I do think we're putting emphasis in slightly different places. In any case...
BabyJesus wrote:
Yosarian2 wrote:
He did ask at least one good question, though. Why did you claim not only for yourself but also for ibaesha, especally when that claim was not going to clear you:?
I thought it was standard practice to claim if you were being run up....
Oh please. This is crap and you know it. First of all, you're not the type of player to adopt and embrace standard practice -- this is fine, but you lose the crutch of "it's standard practice" to stand on when it doesn't go your way. Second of all, you know very well that roles and motives are split, so saying that you could communicate with Ibaesha isn't really even a role claim, just an unhelpful and misleading glimpse into the behind-the-scenes workings of the game. Third and most importantly, you're
still
avoiding the main issue I have against you: What "help" did you expect Ibaesha to provide you?
BabyJesus wrote:mathcam's attempt to deflect the Harry Potter bandwagon is noted.
Harry Potter hasn't really helped this game, but nor has he done anything particularly scummy (at least nothing that couldn't also be ascribed to newbiness or not being a good player). I'm trying to get people on a better bandwagon -- I'm only "deflecting" the Harry Potter bandwagon to the same extent that you're "deflecting" it by being extraordinarily scummy and causing people to vote for you instead of him. So
FOS: BJ
for that. :roll:

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #724 (isolation #12) » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:39 am

Post by mathcam »

BabyJesus wrote: So - basically you don;t give a shit "why" I claimed and are going to vote me regardless.
This is laughable. How are those two things even related? I very much give a shit why you claimed, and am voting you "regardless" until then. This is why I, and others, have been asking you to explain yourself for the last dozen posts. And yes, until then, you have earned my vote. It would be senseless for me to wait for you to explain yourself until voting, because it is evident just how very long that could take. At this point, you've stalled so long that it would take a pretty miraculous explanation to earn an unvote, but nevertheless, I'm all ears.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #735 (isolation #13) » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:24 pm

Post by mathcam »

BabyJesus wrote: skimmer - I already explained why I claimed - I was being run up. I don;t understand what MORE you think there is. that's all there is to it. If that doesn't satisfy you, then continue to vote me off, and you can pat yourself on the back during the night for getting a pro-town player lynched. I can;t respond any more then I already have.
Huh? First of all, if you read my last post, you'll note that I take issue with your statement that you have actually fully claimed. You've only revealed one facet of your role. Second,
you
were the only one implying there was some other reason you claimed, with your
BJ wrote:So - basically you don;t give a shit "why" I claimed and are going to vote me regardless.
If your only reason was that you were being run up, why would you put the quotes around "why"?

You could respond by addressing the myriad of questions put before you which you pretend not to see, notably how you thought that Ibby was being unhelpful, and what you thought she could have done differently.

But of course, this discussion is ridiculous. I'm certainly not going to convince BJ to admit his own guilt. More productively...Could someone not voting for BJ (other than BJ, of course) please explain why?

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #736 (isolation #14) » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:24 pm

Post by mathcam »

BabyJesus wrote:
Mastermind of Sin wrote: which is interesting, especially since BJ hadn't put up an even remotely decent defense yet...I also want to know why TheCesspit thinks Ibby sounds
desparate?
Yes I have.
Thanks goodness! If you've finally come up with a good defense, you should post it in the thread and not just keep it to yourself.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #782 (isolation #15) » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:52 am

Post by mathcam »

Ibaesha wrote:Slightly more suspicious of mathcam due to recent events.
What recent events?

That for some reason my office changes nightly? Or because BJ got himself lynched?

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #785 (isolation #16) » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:14 pm

Post by mathcam »

Yosarian wrote: Bj hardly "got himself lynched". He just played the way he always plays; I've seen him make the exact same "My pm says I'm pro-town" comment in other games, for example.
I disagree. I've played with bj before, and amidst all the bullshit responses, I usually find him to have some insightful points, and is quite capable of defending himself. This was not the BJ of yesterday, as he consistently refused to provide answers to key questions, when even an answer as humble as "You're right, that line doesn't make a lot of sense" could very well have dissolved the entire bandwagon. My previous post was not an attempt to absolve myself of blame -- I fully acknowledge I was a leading pusher of the BJ bandwagon -- but rather a venting of frustration that a pro-town player would deliberately play so obtusely.

Ibaesha: I currently don't know what you're talking about, but I'll go take another look.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #811 (isolation #17) » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:13 pm

Post by mathcam »

Coron wrote: And no, there wasn't a good reason for lynching BJ. There really wasn't.
Oh please, Coron. He lied to the town, deliberately misled the town when he was telling the truth, lurked, and provided essentially nothing as a defense to any of these claims. So don't come here after the fact and pretend you saw through all of these to BJ's deep down innocence.
Ibby wrote: mathcam: I'm suspicious of you because of what has happened to that additional facet that BJ lied about. Hopefully that clarifies it for you better.
Yos wrote:I'm starting to think one of them is just going to have to break down and tell us what the hell's in that office, or we're never going to get anywhere.
Agreed, Yos. The only thing I can think of is that Jack Johnson, Jack Ryan, and Jack Yates all have the ability to communicate at night. This is the only thing in the role that has yet to be revealed, and I don't see any harm in doing it now. BabyJesus sort of implicitly claimed that Jack Ryan wasn't part of the picture, which I think is the lie to which Ibby is referring. But for the life of me, I can't figure out why this makes me more scummy.

Unless/until she points out what I'm missing about this, I think I have to agree with MBL's
FOS: Ibby
for being vague for reasons I can't figure out.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #816 (isolation #18) » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:46 am

Post by mathcam »

Okay.
UnFOS: Ibby,
though I do think your argument is a bit of a stretch. If I'm scum, what do I care if you can talk to inHim at night? Further, if I assume that none of these three Jacks have any special powers (since mine didn't), then I'm wasting the opportunity to go after someone more important to the town than an uncofirmable mason.

Coron: No. Go back and read it yourself. I clearly explained every last part of it yesterday.

I'm getting more and more suspicious of Yos, but I'm not sure I can put a finger on why. Until I can figure out why,
FOS: Yos.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #831 (isolation #19) » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:30 pm

Post by mathcam »

The point that made me sure that BJ was scum was this:
BJ wrote: looks like my "mason" buddy isn't ebing very helpful....
First of all, his use of the word mason was clearly with the intent of making himself appear pro-town, even though he knew very well that his role came with no such implication. Even if he was prepared later to say that he put the word in quotes to hedge his bets, it was nonetheless misleading. Seond, and most importantly, it doesn't make sense for him to comment ath Ibby wasn't being helpful...exactly how did he think she could be of any help? The implication is that Ibby should have been sticking up for him, which again is the incorrect implication that Ibby should know he was innocent. It just doesn't make sense for a pro-town player with his role to say this.

I agree that calling him out on lying for not revealing the third night-talker isn't exactly fair (but not completely dismissible either), but I think there was enough overall suspicion yesterday to make his the right lynch. Even if you think you would have seen it if you had actually been playing yesterday, do you really think that my argument sounds like something I'd concoct just to get a lynch done?
Yos wrote: Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that I'm getting more and more suspicious of you, would it?
I'm sure it does, in part, but I'm not sure what your point is here. Being suspicious of someone I know to be pro-town certainly has to be at least a small strike against you from my standpoint, no?

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #833 (isolation #20) » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:58 pm

Post by mathcam »

Yaw, the mod, wrote:Names, alignments, and roles are all assigned randomly and independently.
Your stuck in a mindset that doesn't encompass the split role-motive theme of this game, and your role-blocker example exemplfies this. Everyone's been assigned a motive and a role
independently.
A scum role-blocker is just as likely as a scum cop, a scum doc, or a scum vanilla townie, and there's no "I don't think Yaw would do that" involved. They were assigned at
random.

So the fact that BJ's
role
is proveable has absolutely no bearing on whether or not he's town or not. That he was deliberately misleading about this role
does
have a bearing, and that was the basis for my desire for his lynch.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #888 (isolation #21) » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:26 am

Post by mathcam »

MBL wrote: This is scummy behavior by Kurtz(mathcam).
Just for the record, Kurtz is Uraj, which you got right later in that post. I think of all non-me people in this game, Ibby is most likely to be pro-town. No offense, Ibby, but I just don't see her coming up with that explosion post a couple of pages ago if she weren't actually town. It felt very genuine. Also, MBL, I'm not sure you really deserve credit for having posted more than people who are already dead.

Also, MBL, I agree completely with your post 881. LML and Fuldu are at the top of my suspicion list, both for their involvement with bluemoinck and his apparent outing of his partner.

Ibby: I thought it was pretty clear that given the already ample confusion about who was what, that it would be simpler just to give the role information of who could talk with each other, rather than trying to explain which players could talk with each other at various times.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #891 (isolation #22) » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:23 am

Post by mathcam »

Right, I meant to mention that. Two scum groups seems pretty plausible, given three kills (including the SK's) the last couple of nights. It does, however, make the 1-kill night 1 pretty bizarre, so maybe an over-eager vig who was responsible enough not to use his ability night 1 could be responsible.

In fact, bluemoinck's question about how many scum groups there were came on day 2, right? So either he knew that his scum group killed Blackberry and thought they were the only scum group (and hence was trying to be sneaky by asking the question), or he knew his killed didn't happen and thus knew there was another scum group. I'd lean toward the latter, imlpying thw wto scum groups.

I don't find Uraj/Kurtz more scummy than anyone else at the moment, but I also don't have my game notes with me to look back at things I've found scummy about them so far.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #905 (isolation #23) » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:55 am

Post by mathcam »

ibaesha wrote:So you're taking the side of someone who won't put their vote where their mouth is. Good job. Also, I don't see how what you know of me would make you suspicious of me and not mathcam.
I think this is a good point.
FOS: Armlx
for that. It sounds an awful lot like "Ooh, I can get on this bandwagon without much fuss if I just pretend like I've put some serious thought in to the matter."

I don't think it's too much to ask that you share your insight here, armlx.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #914 (isolation #24) » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:19 am

Post by mathcam »

armlx wrote: Proposition 2: If there is a mafia or cult, then alignment swaps would allow the newly town player to out all their old scum partners.
Now think about this carefull -- were you told whether or not any of your partners were pro-town or not? If so, you got a different role than I did. If not, how could you possibly out any of your partners who are scum?

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #920 (isolation #25) » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:24 pm

Post by mathcam »

Okay, you're right about the part I quoted, but there's still a confusion there separate from the point you're making, I think. It's not clear to me that abilities can't come with an alignment, instead of just the role. These abilities would not be swapped along with role-swaps, so I think it's a bit of a stretch to conclude that Ibby's only chance of being scum is one with no abilities. That would make night-kills rather difficult.

On a separate note, there's been speculation that we have as many as 6 scum left, out of 15. That means that everyone should have a default "average scumminess" of 6/15, or 40%. If Ibby's clocking in at a mere 1/4 chance of being scum, she should probably be the least of your targets today.

LML - You're really starting to piss me off.

StD - welcome!

Spectrum - Surprisingly enough, it's armLx, not armIx.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #926 (isolation #26) » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:56 am

Post by mathcam »

armlx wrote:Umm, yeah, I'm an idiot. I should have read the first post.....
And maybe some of the posts since then as well...

:)

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #928 (isolation #27) » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:38 pm

Post by mathcam »

Hm. Any chance Yosarian had a 1-shot kill that, by using it, blew up his office?

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #964 (isolation #28) » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:08 pm

Post by mathcam »

I think I agree with Ibby here, though I have to admit I thought she was pro-town before the discussion began. MBL's just being an ass. I'm not sure if I think he's scum yet. I think I like lynching StD the most, mostly inherited from suspicions of Max.

Vote: StD.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #967 (isolation #29) » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:09 pm

Post by mathcam »

Didn't almost everyone prance off to a different topic? I remember when I was doing my read to catch up in the game when I replaced that I was pretty surprised at how little air time that had received.

I'm not sure being an ass will ever help the town win. If you have points to make, then I tihnk you'll find you'll be listened to them much more if you present them in a more reasonable fashion.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #984 (isolation #30) » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:44 am

Post by mathcam »

I've actually placed Uraj as "moderately un-scummy" on my list, though I'm not sure I can explain why. I definitely feel we have better targets for today: StD, maybe armlx, maybe Fuldu or Yosarian, or just other people who haven't been all that helpful: Pooky, armlx, etc.

People I currently don't think should be lynched today: mathcam, MBL, Ibaesha, Uraj.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1024 (isolation #31) » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:15 pm

Post by mathcam »

StD: It seems like your number one suspicion of me is that I brought up something scummy that spamwise did, that everyone else seems to have ignored. Can you explain again why that's scummy?

MBL and Ibby: No offense, but it's becoming increasingly tedious to read your posts. You're welcome to post as much as you like, just know pretty soonl you'll be the only two reading them.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1043 (isolation #32) » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:36 pm

Post by mathcam »

Yeah, mmod is fine with me. If you don't understand why, just read his last 3 posts.

Unvote: StD, Vote: mystery meat of doom.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1066 (isolation #33) » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:16 am

Post by mathcam »

I'll switch as soon as mmod posts something of substance.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1090 (isolation #34) » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:16 pm

Post by mathcam »

MOS: Let me just say it's great when you actually participate. I think your post 1085 was pretty strong.

Unvote: Mmod, Vote: The Cesspit

and I'll be casting a leering eye at MBL if Cesspy turns out to be scum.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1105 (isolation #35) » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:15 pm

Post by mathcam »

Let's just save Yaw some work and lynch someone already.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1212 (isolation #36) » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:59 am

Post by mathcam »

Hm, we lost some posts, methinks. Hopefully this isn't a death-knell from this already inexplicably lurker-infested game.
Unvote, Vote: Fuldu.
Let's get this game to night.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1233 (isolation #37) » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:27 pm

Post by mathcam »

MBL made up some point about me which I for the most part refuted, and you unthinkingly sheeped yourself on to another bandwagon. Does that help?

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1240 (isolation #38) » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:28 am

Post by mathcam »

I'm confused. You're asking us to try to find your play half as retarded as you do? I'm not sure that qualifies as asking a lot of yourself. It would be asking a little more to try to play better in the first place.

Pooky: Who were you talking to?

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1285 (isolation #39) » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:39 am

Post by mathcam »

Sorry, I'm a little out of it.

I think first and foremost we need to lynch someone. The day needs to end so we can have new information, and hence new arguments, after the night. I'd be fine lynching MBL since I think his play slows down the game, and he isn't seeming particularly pro-town, though my current key suspicions lie with Fuldu and StD. I think Uraj looks relatively pro-town.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1288 (isolation #40) » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:32 pm

Post by mathcam »

Yosarian: Yes. I think his "slowing down the pace of the game" actually induces, in part, the lack of posting, which I think we can all agree has been ridiculous this game. The one-on-one arguments which go on for pages of screen-filling posts distracts from the town's efforts to come to a consensus. I know I have a hard time trying to jump in the discussion in the middle of one of these monumental battles, especially when I know I risk wasting another three days of the town's time if I phrase a sentence in a way MBL doesn't find to his liking. Not that this is an excuse for the amount of lurking we've seen this game, but I suspect that this is a partial source.

If I suspected MBL were ferreting out scum in this process, then I'd be tolerate it as a possble, but annoying, strategy. But the debates I've bothered to read have been more about the painstaking nitpicking of every sentence's choice of words than about any sort of cohesive argument that any particular person is scum. That he continues these marathon debates with the person he's accusing is patently absurd -- whether or not they're scum, he's certainly not going to convince them to admit it. If he ever felt strongly that any one of them was scum (something of which I'm not totally convinced), a better play is to appeal to everyone else, and figure out where he could make his arguments more convincing.

Mostly, this is a meta-argument against MBL's style of play in this game. On the other hand, any such meta-argument translates to an in-game argument...the less well you're working for the town, the better job you'd be doing if you were scum. On top of this, I think he's made some downright silly, scummily stretching, nitpicks in the past, so on both an in-game level and on a meta-game level, MBL is a perfectly good candidate for lynch today.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1293 (isolation #41) » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:23 pm

Post by mathcam »

To be clear, I'm not advocating MBL as my top candidate, just that he's one of the small number of bandwagons I would happily join in. Since all bandwagons are currently pretty small, I don't see much of a need to jump on over, especially if we can instead get the Fuldu bandwagon going a little stronger.

Maybe
StD is moving down the scumometer...a little...based on that last post. It seemed pretty sincere. Hm.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1307 (isolation #42) » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:12 am

Post by mathcam »

I'm here.

Again, let me advocate my plan of "For the love of God, let's just lynch someone."

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1309 (isolation #43) » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:50 pm

Post by mathcam »

Zing. Nice one.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1320 (isolation #44) » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:13 pm

Post by mathcam »

Okay, but it's at least worth taking into consideration. There's a smaller chance I'm scum because of the fact that spectrum revealed. If we wait for definitive results before making decisions, we'll be here a long time.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1336 (isolation #45) » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:17 am

Post by mathcam »

Well, you're wrong, but I pretty much have to concede defeat at this point. I think it's important that we lynch someone, since otherwise the mafia will run all over this game's inactivity, and I certainly seem to be a prime candidate.

For tomorrow, be highly suspicious of Fuldu, and I'm pretty sure that Uraj is pro-town.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1338 (isolation #46) » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:27 am

Post by mathcam »

I thought about this, and I think there's little reason to keep this secret at this point. I am currently the role-switcher. I'm reasonably confident that Uraj was the role-switcher and gave me this ability last night, based on his post
Uraj wrote: As far as the office switching goes. . .I'm really reluctatnt to read too far into it simply because we haven't established whether our little phantom of the office is pro-town or not.

Hell. . .we can't even say for sure that it's all been the work of one person. It's quite possible, though I believe it would be an odd play, that the swapper swapped out of their own office into somebody else's, giving the swapping power to someone else.
I think this was his little signal to me (though it could obviously just be a coincidence), and I think it likely (though not necessarily) that such a move is pro-town. Why would mafia give up such a power?

I can prove I have this ability tonight, but it's no proof of my motive. On the other hand, it's unclear what happens to the role if I die -- so you might consider the risk of losing this ability, which is currently in pro-town hands.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1343 (isolation #47) » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:52 pm

Post by mathcam »

Not if the role dies with me...
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1350 (isolation #48) » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:36 am

Post by mathcam »

You have all the details. I can use this ability once a night, in case that wasn't clear.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1351 (isolation #49) » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:37 am

Post by mathcam »

MrBuddyLee wrote:Can you office switchers please give us the full details of your role? As in, can you blow up offices? What happens if a target of a move dies? Can you be moved out of your office? Anything else that's relevant would be helpful and I don't believe at this point would be detrimental to town.
Sorry, let me answer your question directly. I'm only answering for my role - I can't speak for MMoD.

I cannot blow up offices.
I don't know what happens if my target moves. I'm sure Yaw has an intricate ruleset designed to handle these scenarios.
I think this has already been answered by Uraj moving himself.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1361 (isolation #50) » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:54 pm

Post by mathcam »

Thok wrote:I am here. I need to read the thread, but I approve of the mathcam lynch, and I find it curious that he's trying to use a role to defend himself given that he started attacking BJ for doing the exact same thing.
That's hardly the case. In fact, I explicitly disavowed thinking this:
mathcam wrote:I can prove I have this ability tonight, but it's no proof of my motive.
Even if you missed this line (not that there have been *that* many new lines as of late), then I find it surprising that you would even assume I was making this argument, when there are no posts to support it. I'm having a hard enough time defending myself against the stupid things that I *do* do, so I don't have much chance if we also chuck in things that I *don't* do.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1369 (isolation #51) » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:32 pm

Post by mathcam »

Thok wrote: You mean, other than the fact that you've said "Don't lynch me, I'm a useful power role!"
First of all, you're vastly overstating my position on this one. Second, I don't see how you can see this as constituting a defense. A reason to keep me alive, perhaps, but when I specifically say that my role has no bearing on my motive, there's just no way to read that as a defense.

I can neither confirm nor deny my blockage on night 1, since I didn't have a blockable role that night (I could converse with my fellow chatbuddies, but presumably this is not blockable).

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1371 (isolation #52) » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:01 pm

Post by mathcam »

There are only a very few people I wouldn't be willing to lynch today, and armlx is not one of them. So yes.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1373 (isolation #53) » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:54 am

Post by mathcam »

If it'll help something happen,
Unvote: Fuldu, Vote: Armlx.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1374 (isolation #54) » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:48 pm

Post by mathcam »

Guess not.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1381 (isolation #55) » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:01 pm

Post by mathcam »

Any less scummy? What made me scummy in the first place? If it's that there was no kill the night I was blocked, then okay, I have no defense against this. Play the odds. Of it it's because I'm the only one desperate enough for a lynch to happen that he's willing to be the lynchee. This is also fine. But let's not pretend that it's because of something read into my posts or strategy for the day (Really? You're bringing up bluemonick again?).

Cam

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”