Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #4192 (isolation #200) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:47 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Will probably get around to releasing PTs and stuff tomorrow. It's uhh. A lot.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4197 (isolation #201) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:50 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4195, WindowsXP wrote:Can u edit the night thing to put me in brackets where alisae and maestro are?
Not right now but I will
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4230 (isolation #202) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:27 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4198, WindowsXP wrote:So 2/4 of the imposters can hard stop town from finishing tasks.
Only if town does something bonkers, like, say, hard claiming all rooms day 1.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4233 (isolation #203) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:29 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4220, Haschel Cedricson wrote:So Shea, what was the point of Upper Engine? Apparently nobody had any tasks in there?
Task locations were randomly generated, as were tasks.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4237 (isolation #204) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:32 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4231, DkKoba wrote:
In post 4230, Thestatusquo wrote:
In post 4198, WindowsXP wrote:So 2/4 of the imposters can hard stop town from finishing tasks.
Only if town does something bonkers, like, say, hard claiming all rooms day 1.
well thats the expected town play most times, did you not balance with that in mind :P
I just straight up disagree and so do all of my reviewers (and several players in this game.)

Mass claiming D1 is almost always a bad idea in a closed setup.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4240 (isolation #205) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:36 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4238, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:except it led to a straight up stomp :3
I also disagree that the claim led to the win. I think yeeting scum 3 days in a row did that. Bad process, good result. I think the town played pretty excellently from a non-mech standpoint though.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4245 (isolation #206) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:41 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Scum literally had two chances to double kill which they didnt take.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4256 (isolation #207) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:14 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4252, DkKoba wrote:shea, i think for replacements in the future you should not have them have access to the PTs at the same time.

being able to side by side compare blitzo on n1 and n2 was very useful for m.e
I'm never going to run a game that requires me to make more than one PT ever again lol.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4297 (isolation #208) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:06 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4277, DkKoba wrote:if u cant understand the distinction people make psychologically then idk what to tell u

im speaking from the PoV of average mafia player who doesn't assume the mod gave scum every tool in the universe to stop town.
Do you really join games (or think most people join games) thinking "the mod will let us no elim and not play mafia for 2 days and then win."

Because that's what the towns plan required to be true about my game to have a chance of working. As a player in this game (and any closed setup I play in, for that matter.) I assume that if I tell scum information that I have bad things will happen to me, for this game specifically I would have also assumed the mod wouldn't just design a game where town has no protection from being double killed in the setup, and indeed the double kill was balanced in two different other ways.

There at least was a more interesting discussion in this game because the double kill as you point out, but that discussion wasn't really had. Instead town just started claiming willy nilly and no elimmed day 1 and the people who suggested that this was maybe not a good idea (who were incidentally ALL town, by the way) got shouted down and called suspicious. I'm not saying that maybe you can't come to a place where you think the double kill is scarier than giving scum info, but I doubt that should be anyones default position in a closed setup.

Basically I think town played day 1 like this was an open setup and it ain't. But, a lot of mech mistakes get fixed with good day play and good night actions, and the town was very good in that regard here. I think I said multiple times in the dead thread from D1 on that there was just a shockingly large number of players in this game who were painfully town, and town was just going to win this game with town blocking and PoE aided by the PTs at night, which is pretty much exactly what happened, even though the win con was technically tasks.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4298 (isolation #209) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:09 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4282, Alisae wrote:I actually think that mafia getting an extra kill if alone should have maybe not been public information but I'm not sure.
If its public information and it happens its easy to sus out no?
This is perhaps true.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4299 (isolation #210) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:10 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4290, OutWorldER wrote:that said, I don't think the stumbling's of D1 should detract from what was ultimately a pretty phenomenal town victory.
A much more succinct way to say what I'm trying to.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4301 (isolation #211) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:12 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4294, DkKoba wrote:
In post 4293, mastina wrote:For the record: I feel like this game's mechanics may have incentivized the town to claim rooms, but also did have good punishments in place for them doing so. While the double-kill mechanic was one scum may not have been able to use well given the room claim, had the two scum roles designed to counter this strategy not been run up on D3/D4, due to the town's massclaiming of where they'd be, I do think the alt-wincon would've been impossible to achieve. Not hard--utterly impossible.

To put this into standard game mechanics:
If the town has a town doctor and a town cop and a town watcher and the scum have a scum ninja-strongman, the town would normally be punished for massclaiming, because the scum role would eat the town roles alive.
However, if the scum ninia-strongman is eliminated, suddenly, the mechanic used to punish the town from massclaiming is removed, and massclaiming goes from being something harming the town to being something that guarantees a town win.

Similar thing here; the massclaim of location was guaranteed to keep the town from achieving the alt-wincon with the scum PRs alive, but with the scum PRs dead, the town massclaiming guaranteed their ability to fulfill it.
this was my POV. because it was tied to the room, all scum had to do was keep sabotaging it. but then i see there is a "doctor" that can prevent a room from being sabotaged.
Prevents the double kill, not the sabo. The RB is the only method has of stopping the sabo.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4304 (isolation #212) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:14 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4302, DkKoba wrote:
In post 4297, Thestatusquo wrote:
In post 4277, DkKoba wrote:if u cant understand the distinction people make psychologically then idk what to tell u

im speaking from the PoV of average mafia player who doesn't assume the mod gave scum every tool in the universe to stop town.
Do you really join games (or think most people join games) thinking "the mod will let us no elim and not play mafia for 2 days and then win."

Because that's what the towns plan required to be true about my game to have a chance of working. As a player in this game (and any closed setup I play in, for that matter.) I assume that if I tell scum information that I have bad things will happen to me, for this game specifically I would have also assumed the mod wouldn't just design a game where town has no protection from being double killed in the setup, and indeed the double kill was balanced in two different other ways.

There at least was a more interesting discussion in this game because the double kill as you point out, but that discussion wasn't really had. Instead town just started claiming willy nilly and no elimmed day 1 and the people who suggested that this was maybe not a good idea (who were incidentally ALL town, by the way) got shouted down and called suspicious. I'm not saying that maybe you can't come to a place where you think the double kill is scarier than giving scum info, but I doubt that should be anyones default position in a closed setup.

Basically I think town played day 1 like this was an open setup and it ain't. But, a lot of mech mistakes get fixed with good day play and good night actions, and the town was very good in that regard here. I think I said multiple times in the dead thread from D1 on that there was just a shockingly large number of players in this game who were painfully town, and town was just going to win this game with town blocking and PoE aided by the PTs at night, which is pretty much exactly what happened, even though the win con was technically tasks.
town no lims d1-> learns theres are consequences for actions d2 bc rooms blocked, they try to no lim again-> learn there are consequences because tasks sabotaged
there's feedback there even if they went that path. (i think no lim and room planning was the optimal play regardless, although claiming tasks was NOT.)
I'm confused here, you're saying you think the optimal strategy from day one WAS no elim and try to go for task victory?
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4308 (isolation #213) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:30 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4305, DkKoba wrote:from an uninformed standpoint, yes, no limming d1 is best.
This is so baffling to me. Why would you assume the mod created a setup that can be beaten in 2 game days without playing mafia? That doesn't make any sense. And then on top it off you think such a setup got past 3 reviewers who have among them run like 20-30 large themes?

It's just a bonkers thing to think.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4309 (isolation #214) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:33 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4307, DkKoba wrote:when i replaced in and was rereading i was like "yeah even now im seeing it as good that town claimed stuff", i thought claiming all tasks was bad though.
If the town had not limmed scum day 2 3 and 4 claiming tasks and rooms (which is roughly the same thing since all the scum PRs target rooms en masse) the town would have had 0 chance of winning this game on tasks. Since the setup was pretty scum sided (without real investigative or protection roles) the town almost certainly loses that game and the conversation we're having right now is how stupid it was for town to claim and miselim d1.

I think you're being incredibly results oriented. Just because it worked out doesn't mean the process was good.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4311 (isolation #215) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:37 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

I think its funny though because I agree with outworldER that town played an absolutely stunningly good game of mafia. I don't think they played a good game of among us mafia lol, and I think if this setup were run again 100 times with players who don't know the setup and they all claim d1 and no elim town probably loses like 75% of those games.

I will say, that I think the PT mechanic is super interesting and reusable but also if I ever tell anyone I'm running a game where I have to send each vt an individual role PM and make 5 different PTs every night with the right privs and then remove them all the next day please slap me in the fucking face. thx.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4313 (isolation #216) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:38 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4310, DkKoba wrote:i think you misunderstood-> claiming the room you are going to is what I agreed with. not the room where your task is.
How do those things functionally not work out to be the same thing for the scum power roles that can still strategically target those rooms?
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4316 (isolation #217) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:41 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Functionally I think that one of two things happens there:

1) Scum just target the rooms with the most people and those with tasks in those rooms can't complete them, which prevents the task victory.
2) People go to rooms without their tasks to be safe and this slows down task victory significantly such that with night kills town won't be able to achieve it until like day 8-9 at the earliest, even later as scum still manages to snag a couple every night to either prevent from getting to the right room or sabo.

I don't think either of those scenarios favor town.
Last edited by Thestatusquo on Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4319 (isolation #218) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:43 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4317, Gamma Emerald wrote:I think because of my spur-of-the-moment call to wagon end of day 1, that no elim ended up being more useful than an actual Titus lim would have been
I pinned 2 scum for things connected to that. Now, the reasons may not have held up in an argument but I was convinced by them and that gave me fuel to argue those reads.
In addition I think Cakez trying to push me for that was a turning point in how I read him, making me more confident he was scum over BM / some other weaker SRs
And then there was Blitzo who took way too much coaxing to vote. So practically all the scum looked worse because I made that move, in some way or another.
I think some of this is conf bias. Taly, who was town for instance, also looked very bad at the end of d1. MC also.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4322 (isolation #219) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:44 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4318, DkKoba wrote:idk I approach mechs as another way to scumhunt someone, even if on paper it means nothing.
in chat mafia a lot of setups are heavily mech oriented. people read into HOW people claim stuff and discern alignment from it. (like ppl will call out a cop claim as scummy since they might word their report inno Player, when the system message says player is [alignment], etc)

if you take a look at betrayal mafia I, normally no one would think anything about someone claiming a sword like Lavar did(in fact forum players might instinctively townread it), but i used it as a sort of way to discern the intent of the person doing said action.

mafia is complex :) everything can be read into and deduced even if you disagree with it.
I've probably played more chat mafia than you have tbh.
Last edited by Thestatusquo on Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4323 (isolation #220) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:44 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

RIP scumchat. RIP IRC Mafia.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4357 (isolation #221) » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:57 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4325, DkKoba wrote:
In post 4322, Thestatusquo wrote:
In post 4318, DkKoba wrote:idk I approach mechs as another way to scumhunt someone, even if on paper it means nothing.
in chat mafia a lot of setups are heavily mech oriented. people read into HOW people claim stuff and discern alignment from it. (like ppl will call out a cop claim as scummy since they might word their report inno Player, when the system message says player is [alignment], etc)

if you take a look at betrayal mafia I, normally no one would think anything about someone claiming a sword like Lavar did(in fact forum players might instinctively townread it), but i used it as a sort of way to discern the intent of the person doing said action.

mafia is complex :) everything can be read into and deduced even if you disagree with it.
I've probably played more chat mafia then you have tbh.
i have ~3k games played across all my accounts on varying types of setups
Yeah I'm definitely over that, though all of it came roughly a decade ago.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4358 (isolation #222) » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:59 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4334, SirCakez wrote:I think I could have gotten pretty far if I had had the Task Disruptor role
I think a lot of the issue is you played in such a way as to set yourself up in a position to deep wolf, and that was just never going to work for a goon in this setup.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4361 (isolation #223) » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:22 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4359, SirCakez wrote:I didn't know how else to play my position
I didn't want to bus Blitzo or Flea but events happened that made it impossible not to
This is an outside observers perspective but I felt like your day play made it was more likely they would be elimmed at several points. I think you were too distance negative about them in ways that actively made them more likely to be eliminated. Also, blitzo submitting the kill the night he got blocked was just straight up incorrect I think.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4362 (isolation #224) » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:26 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4361, Thestatusquo wrote:
In post 4359, SirCakez wrote:I didn't know how else to play my position
I didn't want to bus Blitzo or Flea but events happened that made it impossible not to
This is an outside observers perspective but I felt like your day play made it was more likely they would be elimmed at several points. I think you were too distance negative about them in ways that actively made them more likely to be eliminated. Also, blitzo submitting the kill the night he got blocked was just straight up incorrect I think.
This is less relevant with Flea, but Blitzo in particular I think the scum team was far too distancy-bussy early on such that the slot was under constant pressure and the eventual need to actually support the lim came from getting the slot investigative role blocked BECAUSE of that early game pressure on the slot. I think if scum had just been much more hesitant to jump on the blitzo wagons early and much less vocal about calling him suspicious that role block doesn't even necessarily happen, but even if it still did the PR shouldn't be submitting the kill.

Basically aside from Flea's slip I think the main thing scum didn't do well this game is prioritize which roles were important and try to keep suspicion and wagons off of them.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4391 (isolation #225) » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:05 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4374, SirCakez wrote:Blitzo I had you in my SRs but I never put you as a serious push of mine until the rb happened
I appreciate the advice people are giving me here
I think you should go back and reread your d1 and d2 play wrt blitzo in particular. I noted a couple of times in the spectator PT that I was surprised how heavily you were shading him, it was like you took every opportunity to do so. I guess its possible you didn't even realize you were doing it. That's the cool thing about looking at things after the fact.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4395 (isolation #226) » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:49 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4392, SirCakez wrote:I mean I know I was shading him but it was never my intention to have it spill into elim
I'll review
Yeah I know. I think what you're underestimating here is the concept of momentum in a game of mafia. The more players actively mentioning someone as suspicious and bringing them up (and back into the consciousness of the town) and listing them in scum pools the more other players who had them as null or null-scum will start to consider them. This builds a momentum to a elimination going forward because part of what people will think of when they think of that player is "oh, that's the guy who like 4 people mentioned as being scummy."

It's ok to mention people as potentially scummy or get into fights for distancing but when you do it over and over again you just increase the likelihood of that player actually being eliminated. This is correct sometimes but its a balancing act.

(I'll be releasing PTs sometime in the next few days, might do it in batches. Its only several million of them.)
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4398 (isolation #227) » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:56 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4396, Haschel Cedricson wrote:
In post 4395, Thestatusquo wrote: (I'll be releasing PTs sometime in the next few days, might do it in batches. Its only several million of them.)
Do Dead and Scum first.
I shall do that right now.

Scum thread
Dead thread
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4431 (isolation #228) » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:11 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4421, mastina wrote:[quote="In
I do think that, as far as posting restrictions go, non-sequiturs was perhaps the best possible one for me and making them was fun. :P
I loved what you did with it. Your non-sequiturs, HCs nicknames and Koba being forced to post in walls are tied for my favorite PRs this game.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4456 (isolation #229) » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:28 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

I do think I should have had a disclaimer about PRs, but at the same time, given that in my rule set it explicitly asks players to replace out if they're not having fun, I don't have a lot of sympathy for "I didn't have fun playing your game."

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”