they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: they/them

Large Normal 238 | Weiqi, Baduk, Go | Endgame

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:03 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Mafia Large Normal 238 | Weiqi, Baduk, Go

A game of hidden roles and social deduction.

Modded by
Mizzytastic
. Backup modded by
the worst
. Reviewed for balance and normalcy by
Isis
and
implosion

I will be using the flavour in this game to introduce you to the game of Go, one of my favourite hobbies. Known as Weiqi in China or Baduk in Korea it is believed to be the oldest game to have been continuously played. The goal of the game is to surround more of the board than your opponent with your stones, while having to balance not letting your pieces get surrounded and captured.

PLAYERS
  1. Frogsterking
    Prods: 2

2. Scorpious
  3. Save The Dragons
  4. Nero Cain
  5. DeasVail
  6. MalcolmTucker
  7. Datisi
    Titus
  8. fua
    Enchant
  9. skitter30
    Galron
    Dwlee99
  10. fireisredsir
  11. Eyes without a face
    MegAzumarill
  12. VP Baltar
  13. Aristeia
    April Ludgate
  14. tenebrousluminary
  15. Cape90
  16. Nordom
    MathBlade
  17. humaneatingmonkey
  18. maozedong
    Yeet
  19. GeneralWu

Spoiler: Alive at endgame
  1. Frogsterking
  2. Save The Dragons
  3. DeasVail
  4. Dwlee99
  5. April Ludgate
  6. tenebrousluminary

Spoiler: Dead
  1. General Wu,
    Vanilla Townie
    , eliminated day one.
  2. humaneatingmonkey,
    Town Mason
    , died night one.
  3. MalcolmTucker,
    Vanilla Townie
    , eliminated day two.
  4. Yeet,
    Town 3-Shot Psychologist
    , died night two.
  5. VP Baltar,
    Town Ascetic Neighbor
    , eliminated day three.
  6. Nero Cain,
    Town Indecisive Doctor Neighbor
    , died night three.
  7. Titus,
    Mafia 2-Shot Alien
    , eliminated day four.
  8. Enchant,
    Town 2-Shot Vigilante
    , died night four.
  9. Cape90,
    Town Neighbor
    , eliminated day five.
  10. fireisredsir,
    Town Traffic Analyst
    , killed night five.
  11. MegAzumarill,
    Mafia 4-Shot Combined Follower Gunsmith
    , eliminated day six.
  12. MathBlade,
    Town Mason
    , killed night six.
  13. Scorpious,
    Vanilla Townie
    , eliminated day seven.

Spoiler: Replacements

Spoiler: Spectators
  • skitter30
  • Aristeia

Important Events
Night 0
: Pregame

Day 1:
1.0 Yeet replaces maozedong 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Nodrom is being replaced 1.7 1.8 MathBlade replaces Nordom 1.9 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 Aristeia is being replaced 1.15 April Ludgate replaces Aristeia 1.16 1.17 1.18 GeneralWu was eliminated

Night 1:
humaneatingmonkey found dead

Day 2:
2.0 2.1 + fua is being replaced 2.2 + Enchant replaces fua 2.3 2.4 skitter30 is being replaced 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 2.10 Galron replaces skitter30 + Titus replaces Datisi 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 2.19 2.20 MalcolmTucker was eliminated

Night 2:
Yeet found dead

Day 3:
3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 3.9 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 VP Baltar was eliminated

Night 3:
Nero Cain found dead

Day 4:
4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Titus was eliminated

Night 4:
Enchant found dead

Day 5:
5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6 5.7 5.8 5.9 5.10 5.11 5.12 5.13 Cape90 was eliminated

Night 5:
fireisredsir found dead

Day 6:
6.0 6.1 6.2 Eyes without a face is being replaced MegAzumarill replaces Eyes without a face 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6 MegAzumarill was eliminated

Night 6:
Galron is being replaced Dwlee99 replaces Galron MathBlade found dead

Day 7:
7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 Scorpious was eliminated

Endgame
Last edited by Mizzytastic on Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:03 pm, edited 94 times in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (isolation #1) » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:05 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Feedback on rules/format at any point during the game via PM will be appreciated. Evolution of my rules/formatting has been inspired by Korina and Plotinus, and feedback from xofelf.

Golden Rule
Golden Rule
: If I think it counts it counts. Don't play around with edge cases then plead you didn't mean it to be interpreted that way.

Content and Etiquette
Site Rules
: Follow all site rules. Common mistakes are talking about ongoing games and discussing replacements, and players not playing to achieve their win condition.

Keep it civil
: This is a game where we get to call each other scum and manipulate and lie to others. Beyond that please keep it civil, I don't ever want to reach the point where I don't want to read the game I'm running. If you feel like a player has gone too far but hasn't stopped after you ask them to please contact me.

Readibility
: Everyone should be able to read your posts. This is an English language site so use English. Avoid using text
smaller than 75
. Don't use BBCode features in a way that makes your posts difficult to read.

Concealed messages
: Cryptography is not permitted. Steganography (hidden text/messages) is not permitted other than breadcrumming.

Provable randomness
: You are not permitted to use a provably random or pseudo-random (most computer generated random numbers) results in the game. Saying you did without showing the evidence is not provable and so permitted.

Communications and Private Threads
Other threads
: You may talk in any game threads you have access to at any time, unless specified elsewhere (e.g. the
Game Setup
post or your Role PM).

Private Notes Thread
: You may request a private note thread. You may post in that thread at any time.

Quoting
: Quoting this thread in this thread is always ok. You may quote this thread in other game related threads you have access to. You may not quote any other game related threads in this one. You may draft a post in a private notes thread, but copy and paste the content without quote tags. You may not quote any mod communications. Paraphrasing any of these things is ok, creating a fake quote is not.

Claiming mafia
: Part of paraphrasing mod communications is claiming roles. Claiming to be part of an anti-town faction is ok. Many mods ban claiming your team mates, whether real or faked. If you do want to claim your team mates, real or fake, I ask you to strongly consider if it could be considered playing against your win con and check with me if you are unsure.

Redactions
: The
Dead and Spectators Thread
will be released at the end of the game. Any other threads will be released 48 hours after game end, or when all players in them have said it is ok to release them. You can use that 48 hours to redact posts or request the thread isn't released.

Communicating with the mod
: If you want to VOTE: XXXX or UNVOTE: XXXX use the appropriate tags, I skim looking for those tags when doing a vote count and may miss it otherwise. If you want to get my attention for some other reason
bold
it or PM me, otherwise I may miss it and not answer.

Mod Colour
:
#8000FF
is my prefered colour. You can use it but don't
bold
it, or use it to imitate me.

Deadlines, Activity and V/LA
Pre-game
: The game is locked during pre-game and confirmation. Once all Role PMs have been sent people have 48 hours to reply via PM or the
Mafia Private Thread
with their role and alignment. The game will start after more than 75% of players have confirmed or the 48 hours have passed, after which unconfirmed players will be replaced.

Day-time
: Day 1 lasts for 10 days (240 hours). Later days last for 8 days (192 hours).

Night-time
: Night lasts for 48 hours. The game thread is locked during night. See
Night Actions
in the next section for more info about how they work.

Quick night
: If all living players request a quick night, I will resolve the night phase as soon as possible.

Prods and replacements
: You will be prodded after not posting for 48 hours, or 72 hours over the weekend or when
V/LA
. You will have 24 hours to post or be replaced. If you are prodded 3 times you will be replaced. If you repeatedly post close to prod timer or respond to prods without game advancing content I reserve the right to give you stricter activity requirements.

V/LA
: You can go Vacation/Low Access by requesting in thread, by PM or the option in your User Control Panel. If you are V/LA for longer than 72 hours with no expectation of access request a replacement instead. I reserve the right to seek a replacement if a player is V/LA for a long period of time.

Game Actions and Death
Voting
: You can vote for a player or a no elimination with VOTE: XXXX vote tags. If a majority is reached that player will be eliminated and the game will enter twilight. If at least half of the players vote for no elimination no one will be eliminated and the game will enter twilight. If the deadline for the day is reached without a majority no one is eliminated. (
bolded
votes will be counted but I am very likely to miss them so please don't)

Twilight
: Twilight is the time period between a majority vote or deadline and me locking the thread. The voted player is not currently dead and may talk normally. Votes are no longer counted.

Death
: You are dead once I have revealed your role and alignment. You will gain access to the
Dead and Spectators Thread
. You may still post in a Private Notes Thread but not in any other game threads, not even a contentless BAH post.

Night Actions
: Night actions can be submitted by PM or the
Mafia Private Thread
. You will be reminded of any pending night actions 24 hours before night ends - this is not a prod. Night actions submitted after the deadline but before I process the results are forfeited.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (isolation #2) » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:05 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Setup
Day talk
: If you are a member of a shared private thread you may talk there at any time, including the day, as long as you are alive, unless your Role PM says otherwise.

Action Resolution and Multitasking
: Actions are resolved according to Natural Action Resolution. If you have multiple night actions available you may only perform one unless your Role PM says otherwise.

Win Conditions
: Win conditions for
Town
and
Mafia
are as follows:
Town
: You win when all threats to the town are dead, and at least 1 town aligned player is alive.
Mafia
: You win when all players not aligned with you are dead or nothing can prevent that from happening, and at least 1 mafia aligned player is alive.

Sample Roles
: Below are an example role for a
Vanilla Townie
and a
Mafia Goon
. At least 2 players are a Vanilla Townie. 1 or more players might be a Mafia Goon.

Vanilla TownieYou are a
Vanilla Townie

Each day you may talk in the game thread and vote on who to eliminate.

You win when all threats to the town are dead, and at least 1 town aligned player is alive.

The game thread is here, please confirm your role and alignment via pm.

Mafia GoonYou are a
Mafia Goon

You form a
Mafia
family along with REDACTED.

Each night a member of your family may perform a factional kill. A member of your family will attempt to visit a player, and assuming no interference that player will die.

You win when all players not aligned with you are dead or nothing can prevent that from happening, and at least 1 mafia aligned player is alive.

The game thread is here and your Mafia private thread is REDACTED, please confirm your role and alignment via pm or your private thread.
Last edited by Mizzytastic on Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (isolation #3) » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:07 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Night 0 Checklist

Pregame setup

Sending out role PMs

Confirmations
<-- You are here

Role PMs have been sent. The game will start when
(15/19)
players have confirmed. Players have until (expired on 2022-03-02 17:30:00) to confirm before I start looking for replacements.

(18/19) Confirmations
Last edited by Mizzytastic on Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (isolation #4) » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:59 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

The game has encountered a short delay I expect be resolved in the next 24 hours. There have been enough confirmations for the game to start once it has been resolved.

Eyes without a face
and
GeneralWu
have (expired on 2022-03-02 17:30:00) to confirm before I start seeking replacements.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (isolation #5) » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:11 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

Day 1 | Game Begins

Go is a game played by two players, one with black stones and one with white. Black goes first. Each turn you place a stone on the intersection of a board. The typical board is 19x19 intersections, though historically there is evidence of 17x17 boards instead. There are also smaller boards at 9x9 and 13x13 which are often used when teaching beginners but also provide a shorter experience with different pressures to all players.

Official Votecount 1.0Anyone (0): Nobody

Not Voting (19): Frogsterking, Scorpious, Save The Dragons, Nero Cain, DeasVail, MalcolmTucker, Datisi, fua, skitter30, fireisredsir, Eyes without a face, VP Baltar, Aristeia, tenebrousluminary, Cape90, Nordom, humaneatingmonkey, Yeet, GeneralWu

With 19 players alive, it takes 10 votes to achieve an eliminaton.

Day 1 will end in (expired on 2022-03-12 05:15:00).

All players have confirmed.
maozedong
is replacing in with the account
Yeet
but it is the same player.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #126 (isolation #6) » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:59 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

Go is often said to have three rules, of which the first is capturing stones. The four intersections connecting to a stone are it's liberties. If your opponent surrounds all the liberties of a stone it is captured. A stone with only one liberty left is in
atari
, which is where the game company get it's name from,

Image Image Image

Official Votecount 1.1Datisi (2): skitter30, tenebrousluminary
[E-8]

tenebrousluminary (2): Datisi, fireisredsir
[E-8]

skitter30 (1): Yeet
Yeet (1): Frogsterking

Not Voting (13): Scorpious, Save The Dragons, Nero Cain, DeasVail, MalcolmTucker, fua, Eyes without a face, VP Baltar, Aristeia, Cape90, Nordom, humaneatingmonkey, GeneralWu

Last edited by Mizzytastic on Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #253 (isolation #7) » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:54 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

Stones connected horizontally and vertically form groups. To capture a group all the liberties of all the stones need to be taken.

Image Image Image

Official Votecount 1.2Datisi (4): tenebrousluminary, skitter30, Yeet, humaneatingmonkey
[E-6]

humaneatingmonkey (3): Aristeia, Cape90, Nero Cain
tenebrousluminary (2): fireisredsir, fua
skitter30 (1): Datisi

Not Voting (8): Scorpious, Save The Dragons, DeasVail, MalcolmTucker, Eyes without a face, VP Baltar, Nordom, GeneralWu

There was an error in this vote count where
Yeet
was listed as voting
skitter30
. It was fixed as of post
Last edited by Mizzytastic on Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #475 (isolation #8) » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:51 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

The second rule of go is the suicide rule. You cannot play in a position that reduces the liberties of one of your groups to zero, resulting in it being captured.

Official Votecount 1.3GeneralWu (4): Nero Cain, fua, VP Baltar, tenebrousluminary
[E-6]

Datisi (3): skitter30, Yeet, humaneatingmonkey
tenebrousluminary (2): fireisredsir, Save The Dragons
humaneatingmonkey (2): Aristeia, Cape90

Not Voting (6): Scorpious, DeasVail, MalcolmTucker, Eyes without a face, Nordom, GeneralWu

Last edited by Mizzytastic on Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #498 (isolation #9) » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:31 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

In post 490, Yeet wrote:
In post 179, Yeet wrote:
In post 169, Datisi wrote:
In post 165, Yeet wrote:
In post 120, Datisi wrote:i have Thoughts but i should probably let skitt speak first before saying anything
skitter has spoken so I would like to hear what your T h o u g h t s were here
mostly that your case was nothing because she did not say she townread me and the "you are projecting that we know datisi therefore you are scum!?!?" was a huge stretch
It’s a mindset slip. I’m not saying she’s projecting that we know you.

But I’m not that interested in my old case anymore. If she insists that her common phrasing means something other than what I think it would more commonly mean, I will drop it for now because I don’t think she would lie about that as scum.

Which means, my vote goes back to you
Vote: Datisi
@Mizzy
, I am voting for Datisi.
I'll just go fix it. Could you use vote tags instead of bold tags in future, it makes it easier for me to spot when skimming the thread.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #625 (isolation #10) » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:32 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

It isn't suicide to play a stone that captures your opponents stones, even if it has no liberties before the capture removes those stones.

Image Image Image

Official Votecount 1.4Datisi (5): skitter30, Yeet, humaneatingmonkey, Nordom, tenebrousluminary
[E-5]

humaneatingmonkey (3): Aristeia, Cape90, VP Baltar
Yeet (2): Frogsterking, Nero Cain
Eyes without a face (1): Save The Dragons
tenebrousluminary (1): fireisredsir
GeneralWu (1): fua

Not Voting (5): Scorpious, DeasVail, MalcolmTucker, Eyes without a face, GeneralWu

Last edited by Mizzytastic on Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #904 (isolation #11) » Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:33 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

The third rule of go is
ko
which prevents situations where a player immediately returns the board back to the previous position. In the image below if you have just played one of the red marked stones your opponent could not immediately capture back.

Official Votecount 1.6Datisi (5): skitter30, Yeet, humaneatingmonkey, Nordom, tenebrousluminary
[E-5]

Nordom (3): fireisredsir, DeasVail, Nero Cain
fua (1): VP Baltar
Eyes without a face (1): Save The Dragons

Not Voting (4): Scorpious, MalcolmTucker, Eyes without a face, GeneralWu

click here for joined mod iso.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1004 (isolation #12) » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:18 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

In post 986, Nordom wrote:
In post 981, tenebrousluminary wrote:
In post 964, Nordom wrote:Malcom, I think you're getting too over-excited in the pants from Datisi's lazy town read on you. You gotta dig deeper.
In post 965, Nordom wrote:Unless you're maf butt-buddies together then fml
These posts are not appropriate. Please stop.
If those particular sentences managed to offend anybody, then I think that person needs to grow a thicker skin.
Please could you refrain from this. The tone of those messages was unnecessary, and doubling down when someone expresses discomfort is not on.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1032 (isolation #13) » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:49 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

I have asked
Nodrom
to stop posting until I have been able to talk to the listmod.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1042 (isolation #14) » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:11 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

I mean I was just consulting with the list mod at this point but...

Nodrom
is being replaced.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1050 (isolation #15) » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:19 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

There are rare situations such as the triple ko bellow that the normal ko rule cannot resolve. Many modern rule sets have
superko
rules that seek to resolve this by disallowing moves that return the board to any previous state but the details of those aren't important the vast majority of the time.

Official Votecount 1.7Datisi (4): skitter30, Yeet, humaneatingmonkey, Nordom
[E-6]

Nordom (4): DeasVail, Nero Cain, Datisi, tenebrousluminary
[E-6]

fua (1): VP Baltar
Aristeia (1): Save The Dragons

Not Voting (5): Scorpious, MalcolmTucker, fireisredsir, Eyes without a face, GeneralWu

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1175 (isolation #16) » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:40 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Scoring in go is quite a big subject. There are two different ways of doing it and the easiest way to explain it in person is often showing. One of the skills for in person scoring is reshaping groups so make easy to count territories without changing the size of the territory from the game.

Official Votecount 1.8humaneatingmonkey (5): Aristeia, Cape90, VP Baltar, skitter30, Datisi
[E-5]

Datisi (3): Yeet, humaneatingmonkey, Nordom
GeneralWu (2): fua, Nero Cain
fua (1): tenebrousluminary
Aristeia (1): Save The Dragons
Nordom (1): DeasVail

Not Voting (5): Scorpious, MalcolmTucker, fireisredsir, Eyes without a face, GeneralWu

I'm currently waiting to see if
MathBlade
still wants to replace in.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1238 (isolation #17) » Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:59 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

MathBlade
is replacing
Nordom
. Please welcome him.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1254 (isolation #18) » Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:14 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

So how do we reach scoring? A game of go ends when both players pass, agreeing that there is nothing more they can do. Then they look to see if they agree on which stones on the board are alive or would inevitably be captured, and if they disagree they start playing again until they agree, and pass again.

Official Votecount 1.9humaneatingmonkey (6): Aristeia, VP Baltar, skitter30, Datisi, fireisredsir, Yeet
[E-4]

MathBlade (4): DeasVail, tenebrousluminary, Cape90, Nero Cain
GeneralWu (2): fua, Save The Dragons
Datisi (1): humaneatingmonkey
Cape90 (1): MathBlade

Not Voting (5): Scorpious, MalcolmTucker, Eyes without a face, GeneralWu

Last edited by Mizzytastic on Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1583 (isolation #19) » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:34 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

Lets start scoring the game I shared a picture of previously. First we remove captures. The stones I have marked are ones that would be captured. How we deal with them will differ based on if we use area or territory counting...

Official Votecount 1.11GeneralWu (4): fua, Save The Dragons, VP Baltar, MathBlade
[E-6]

Datisi (1): humaneatingmonkey
fua (1): skitter30
Eyes without a face (1): Cape90
VP Baltar (1): Nero Cain
humaneatingmonkey (1): Yeet

Not Voting (8): Scorpious, DeasVail, MalcolmTucker, Datisi, Eyes without a face, Aristeia, tenebrousluminary, GeneralWu

I am going to be low access for until the 13th. I am still going to be checking multiple times a day but mod actions and vote counts will be when I am free and not waiting to hit the top of a page or whatever. the worst will be handling more of the the votes overnight, unless I decide to try phone posting.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1724 (isolation #20) » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:54 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Once prisoners are removed, the next job is to count the spaces that make up your territory. In area counting the prisoners are discarded but in territory counting they count against your final total (or with your opponents total).

Official Votecount 1.12Aristeia (5): humaneatingmonkey, MathBlade, fua, Nero Cain, Save The Dragons
[E-5]

fua (2): skitter30, Yeet
Scorpious (1): Aristeia
GeneralWu (1): VP Baltar

Not Voting (7): Scorpious, DeasVail, MalcolmTucker, Datisi, Eyes without a face, tenebrousluminary, GeneralWu

Last edited by Mizzytastic on Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1923 (isolation #21) » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:07 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

I'm getting quite sleepy so I'll leave you with this. For reference a
tesuji
is the Japanese term for a clever, often non trivial move, and Cho Chikun (the player on the left) is one of the greatest players of his generation with a reputation of being a bit of a mad scientist character.

Official Votecount 1.13Aristeia (5): humaneatingmonkey, MathBlade, fua, Nero Cain, Save The Dragons
[E-5]

fua (3): skitter30, Yeet, Aristeia
Nero Cain (1): Datisi
GeneralWu (1): VP Baltar

Not Voting (6): Scorpious, DeasVail, MalcolmTucker, Eyes without a face, tenebrousluminary, GeneralWu

Last edited by Mizzytastic on Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2178 (isolation #22) » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:43 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

April Ludgate
has replaced
Aristeia
. Please welcome them.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2273 (isolation #23) » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:23 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Counting up the territory white has 58 points and black has 90 points. Next if you were using territory counting you'd add the prisoners each player has to these totals. Assuming no prisoners were captured earlier in the game that would give white 74 points and black 92 points.

Official Votecount 1.16skitter30 (3): fua, MathBlade, Yeet
[E-7]

Yeet (3): Frogsterking, humaneatingmonkey, VP Baltar
[E-7]

GeneralWu (3): Datisi, tenebrousluminary, fireisredsir
[E-7]

fua (2): skitter30, April Ludgate
Nero Cain(1): Nero Cain
April Ludgate (1): Save The Dragons

Not Voting (5): Scorpious, DeasVail, MalcolmTucker, Eyes without a face, GeneralWu

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2374 (isolation #24) » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:17 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

The last step is
komi
, the bonus points awarded to white for making black go first. In most rules it is either 6.5 or 7.5, with the .5 being to avoid draws. Following Japanese rules, which uses territory counting and 6.5 komi that would be black winning by +11.5.

Official Votecount 1.17Yeet (4): Frogsterking, humaneatingmonkey, VP Baltar, Datisi
[E-6]

GeneralWu (3): tenebrousluminary, fireisredsir, Yeet
fua (2): skitter30, April Ludgate
skitter30 (2): fua, MathBlade
Nero Cain(1): Nero Cain

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2438 (isolation #25) » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:13 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

humaneatingmonkey
has been found dead. The monkey was a
Town Mason

humaneatingmonkeyYou are a
Town Mason

You are a member of a
Masonry
. All members of the Masonry are confirmed to you to be
Town
. You share a private thread with the other members, which you can talk in at any time, including the day.

You win when all threats to the town are dead, and at least 1 town aligned player is alive.

The game thread is here and your Masonry thread is REDACTED, please confirm your role and alignment via pm.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2439 (isolation #26) » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:15 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

Day 2

This day's flavour will be focused on life and death, that is how to make groups that cannot be captured even if they are surrounded and how to capture groups in a way that stops them protecting themselves.

Official Votecount 2.0Anyone (0): Nobody

Not Voting (17): Frogsterking, Scorpious, Save The Dragons, Nero Cain, DeasVail, MalcolmTucker, Datisi, fua, skitter30, fireisredsir, Eyes without a face, VP Baltar, April Ludgate, tenebrousluminary, Cape90, MathBlade, Yeet

With 17 players alive, it takes 9 votes to achieve an elimination.

Day 2 will end in (expired on 2022-03-16 09:20:00).
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2574 (isolation #27) » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:14 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

The core of life is having two eyes. As a player cannot play in both eyes simultaneously, and only playing in one eye is prohibited as a suicidal move, it means the group can never be captured.

Official Votecount 2.1fua (2): skitter30, Datisi
[E-7]

skitter30 (2): fua, Nero Cain
[E-7]

tenebrousluminary (1): DeasVail

Not Voting (12): Frogsterking, Scorpious, Save The Dragons,MalcolmTucker, fireisredsir, Eyes without a face, VP Baltar, April Ludgate, tenebrousluminary, Cape90, MathBlade, Yeet

Fua
is being replaced.
Last edited by Mizzytastic on Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2801 (isolation #28) » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:45 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Eye spaces of one or two points can never make two eyes. Eye spaces with three can, but the opponent can also play at the vital point to break it.

Image Image

Official Votecount 2.2VP Baltar (3): Scorpious, Cape90, Nero Cain
[E-6]

Scorpious (2): Save The Dragons, MathBlade
Enchant (2): skitter30, Datisi
tenebrousluminary (2): DeasVail, fireisredsir
Save The Dragons (1): tenebrousluminary
MalcolmTucker (1): Yeet
skitter30 (1): Enchant
Cape90 (1): VP Baltar

Not Voting (4): Frogsterking, MalcolmTucker, Eyes without a face, April Ludgate

Enchant
is replacing
fua
Last edited by Mizzytastic on Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2813 (isolation #29) » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:02 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Sorry, I put it into the VC I was already prepping near the top of the page.
Enchant
has indeed replaced
fua
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2924 (isolation #30) » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:35 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

I'm heading to bed and don't have time to put much flavour together so some homework for the reader - what 4 space shapes do you think can be killed? Answers when I wake up

Official Votecount 2.3Scorpious (3): Save The Dragons, MathBlade, Datisi
[E-6]

VP Baltar (3): Scorpious, Cape90, tenebrousluminary
[E-6]

Enchant (2): skitter30, Nero Cain
tenebrousluminary (2): DeasVail, fireisredsir

Not Voting (4): Frogsterking, MalcolmTucker, Eyes without a face, April Ludgate

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3122 (isolation #31) » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:46 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

and...
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3123 (isolation #32) » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:46 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

The two shapes that can be killed are a square and a t-junction. The t-junction has one vital point that stops two eyes, and wherever you play inside a square it just turns into a bent three.

Image Image

Official Votecount 2.4Scorpious (3): Save The Dragons, MathBlade, Datisi
[E-6]

VP Baltar (3): Scorpious, Cape90, tenebrousluminary
[E-6]

tenebrousluminary (3): DeasVail, fireisredsir, MalcolmTucker
[E-6]

Enchant (2): skitter30, Nero Cain

Not Voting (3): Frogsterking, Eyes without a face, April Ludgate

Last edited by Mizzytastic on Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3160 (isolation #33) » Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:02 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

skitter30
is being replaced.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3251 (isolation #34) » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:27 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

These two shapes are unconditionally alive. They both have two places you can play inside to create two eyes so if your opponent takes one you can take the other.

Image Image

Official Votecount 2.5VP Baltar (4): Scorpious, Cape90, tenebrousluminary, Nero Cain
[E-5]

tenebrousluminary (4): DeasVail, fireisredsir, MalcolmTucker, Save The Dragons
[E-5]

Frogsterking (3): VP Baltar, Datisi, Yeet
Scorpious (1): MathBlade
MalcolmTucker (1): April Ludgate
Enchant (1): skitter30

Not Voting (2): Frogsterking, Eyes without a face

Last edited by Mizzytastic on Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3373 (isolation #35) » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:29 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

The bent four is a special shape. Normally it works like the previous two where you can never kill it because there are two spaces inside to make an eye. However...

Official Votecount 2.6tenebrousluminary (4): DeasVail, fireisredsir, MalcolmTucker, Save The Dragons
[E-5]

Scorpious (3): MathBlade, Cape90, Datisi
VP Baltar (3): Scorpious, tenebrousluminary, Nero Cain
Frogsterking (2): VP Baltar, Yeet

Not Voting (2): Frogsterking, Eyes without a face

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3626 (isolation #36) » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:01 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

If the bent four is in the corner it actually ends up being a ko if the opponent plays there first and there aren't too many outside liberties.. In theory it's possible to keep this ko going until there is nothing big enough to respond to, so in this situation the corne is considered dead

Official Votecount 2.8VP Baltar (6): Scorpious, tenebrousluminary, Nero Cain, Frogsterking, fireisredsir, MathBlade
[E-3]

tenebrousluminary (2): MalcolmTucker, Save The Dragons
Frogsterking (1): VP Baltar
fireisredsir (1): Yeet
Cape90 (1): Datisi

Not Voting (3): DeasVail, Eyes without a face, Cape90

Last edited by Mizzytastic on Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3946 (isolation #37) » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:28 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Datisi
is being replaced.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3973 (isolation #38) » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:44 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

There are two five point eyespaces that can be killed. You can play in the middle of a cross to kill it. The other known as a bulky five, you play on the red spot marked and then if your opponent plays a you play b or vice versa.

Image Image

Official Votecount 2.10VP Baltar (5): tenebrousluminary, Nero Cain, Frogsterking, DeasVail, fireisredsir
[E-4]

MalcolmTucker (3): April Ludgate, Eyes without a face, Yeet
fireisredsir (1): VP Baltar
April Ludgate (1): Save the Dragons
tenebrousluminary (1): MalcolmTucker
Cape90 (1): Datisi

Not Voting (3): Scorpious, Cape90, MathBlade

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3987 (isolation #39) » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:50 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Galron
has replaced
skitter30
and
Titus
has replaced
Datisi
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4049 (isolation #40) » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:03 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

No flavour. Mizzy is bizzy!

Official Votecount 2.11VP Baltar (5): tenebrousluminary, Nero Cain, Frogsterking, DeasVail, fireisredsir
[E-4]

MalcolmTucker (3): April Ludgate, Eyes without a face, Yeet
Enchant (1): Galron
Galron (1): Enchant
fireisredsir (1): VP Baltar
April Ludgate (1): Save the Dragons
Cape90 (1): Titus
Yeet (1): MalcolmTucker

Not Voting (3): Scorpious, Cape90, MathBlade

I'm limited to phone posting for the next 36 hours or so and the worst is busy for some of that time period too. I'll do what I can to keep the thread up to date.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4227 (isolation #41) » Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:55 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

I am back and have no planned low access of this scale in the near future.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4273 (isolation #42) » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:46 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

There is only one dead eyeshape with six points, often known as the rabbity six because it looks like it has bunny ears.

Official Votecount 2.14VP Baltar (6): tenebrousluminary, Nero Cain, Frogsterking, DeasVail, fireisredsir, MathBlade
[E-3]

MalcolmTucker (4): April Ludgate, Eyes without a face, Yeet, VP Baltar
Scorpious (3): Cape90, Save the Dragons, Titus
Nero Cain (1): Scorpious
Yeet (1): MalcolmTucker

Not Voting (1): Galron

Last edited by Mizzytastic on Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4350 (isolation #43) » Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:02 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

The reduction in liberties mean that corners and sides often have different results than stuff in the middle of the board. A rectangular six is normally alive but in the corner a shortage of liberties means the player can't do what would normally save the group.

Official Votecount 2.15MalcolmTucker (6): Eyes without a face, Yeet, VP Baltar, April Ludgate, fireisredsir, Scorpious
[E-3]

VP Baltar (5): tenebrousluminary, Nero Cain, Frogsterking, DeasVail, MathBlade
Scorpious (3): Cape90, Save the Dragons, Titus

Not Voting (2): MalcolmTucker, Galron

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4447 (isolation #44) » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:18 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

aaand...
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4448 (isolation #45) » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:18 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

When is an eye not an eye? When it's false! Sometimes a shape can have what looks like two eyes but once all the outside liberties are taken one of the eyes is capturable.

Official Votecount 2.16MalcolmTucker (6): Eyes without a face, Yeet, VP Baltar, April Ludgate, Scorpious, Galron
[E-3]

Galron (5): MathBlade, Cape90, fireisredsir, tenebrousluminary, Enchant
VP Baltar (3): Nero Cain, Frogsterking, DeasVail
Scorpious (2): Save the Dragons, Titus

Not Voting (1): MalcolmTucker

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4539 (isolation #46) » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:08 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Frogsterking
has been prodded.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4572 (isolation #47) » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:17 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Much like chess, people do go problems to help improve their reading and learn about tricky situations. A common form of go problem are
tsumego
which are to do with the life and death of groups. Here is an example.

Official Votecount 2.17MalcolmTucker (6): Eyes without a face, Yeet, April Ludgate, Scorpious, Galron, VP Baltar
[E-3]

Galron (6): MathBlade, Cape90, fireisredsir, tenebrousluminary, Enchant, MalcolmTucker
[E-3]

VP Baltar (4): Nero Cain, Frogsterking, DeasVail, Titus
Scorpious (1): Save the Dragons

Not Voting (0):

Last edited by Mizzytastic on Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4574 (isolation #48) » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:18 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

I fatfingered. VC here viewtopic.php?p=13294195#p13294195
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4676 (isolation #49) » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:11 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

This is a problem from the
Igo Hatsuyoron
, a traditional collection of very hard go problems. We are still unsure if we have found the solution. It is considered the hardest go problem.

Official Votecount 2.18Galron (7): MathBlade, Cape90, tenebrousluminary, Enchant, MalcolmTucker, Nero Cain, Save the Dragons
[E-2]

MalcolmTucker (6): Eyes without a face, Yeet, April Ludgate, Scorpious, Galron, VP Baltar
VP Baltar (3): DeasVail, Titus, Frogsterking

Not Voting (1): fireisredsir

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4780 (isolation #50) » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:39 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Sometimes you end up in a situation where neither player can kill off the other's stones. This is known as a
seki
and the spaces involved do not give points for either player.

Official Votecount 2.19MalcolmTucker (7): Eyes without a face, Yeet, April Ludgate, Scorpious, Galron, VP Baltar, Titus
[E-2]

VP Baltar (5): DeasVail, Frogsterking, tenebrousluminary, Save the Dragons, Nero Cain
Galron (4): MathBlade, Cape90, Enchant, MalcolmTucker

Not Voting (1): fireisredsir

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4854 (isolation #51) » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:22 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Alive, dead, seki, or ko are the four results a group can usually end up having. I'll be going more into the strategy of ko in the future, but for now here is the Carpenter's Square, a very complex corner that often ends up in a ko. It has been suggested that if you fully understand this corner you are at professional strength.

Official Votecount 2.20MalcolmTucker (9): Eyes without a face, Yeet, April Ludgate, Scorpious, Galron, VP Baltar, Titus, fireisredsir, MathBlade
[E-0!]

VP Baltar (5): DeasVail, Frogsterking, tenebrousluminary, Save the Dragons, Nero Cain
Galron (3): Cape90, Enchant, MalcolmTucker

Not Voting (0):

With 17 players alive, an elimination has been achieved.

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4855 (isolation #52) » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:30 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

MalcolmTucker
Vanilla Townie
, has been eliminated.

MalcolmTuckerYou are a
Vanilla Townie

Night 2

Night 2 has begun. It will end in (expired on 2022-03-17 18:35:00). You have until then to submit any night actions you want to take.

If all living players pm me asking for a fast night I will resolve the night as soon as possible.

(6/16 for fast night)
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4856 (isolation #53) » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:09 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Night resolution will be delayed tomorrow as I am busy for a few hours Thursday evening (going to my go club actually!).
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4857 (isolation #54) » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:06 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Yeet
has been found dead. He was a
Town 3-Shot Psychologist

YeetYou are a
Town 3-Shot Psychologist

Three times during the game you may visit a player at night to investigate their ability to kill. Assuming no interference, you will be informed "PLAYERNAME is capable of killing.", "PLAYERNAME is not capable of killing or has already killed.", or "You got no result from investigating PLAYERNAME." at the end of the night. Players capable of killing are members of the
Mafia
other than
Traitors
Serial Killers
and
Vigilantes
who have not yet killed

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4858 (isolation #55) » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:08 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Day 3

Day 3 was delayed by my go club so you get to see a photo of a game I played. Now I have covered the rules and life and death I'm gonna be moving onto more varied topics, some strategy, some history and culture, and even some stuff I think just has cool names.

I was black and I ended up winning by 3.5 points.

Official Votecount 3.0Anyone (0): Nobody

Not Voting (15): Frogsterking, Scorpious, Save The Dragons, Nero Cain, DeasVail, Titus, Enchant, Galron, fireisredsir, Eyes without a face, VP Baltar, April Ludgate, tenebrousluminary, Cape90, MathBlade

With 15 players alive, it takes 8 votes to achieve an elimination.

Day 3 will end in (expired on 2022-03-25 22:15:00).

Players whose prod timers would expire in less than 24 hours have (expired on 2022-03-18 22:15:00) to post before they get prodded. If this applies to you your Day 3 PM will say so.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5178 (isolation #56) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:33 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

One thing I said I'd talk about is the strategy of ko. The rules purpose was to avoid infinite loops, but to get to take a ko back you need to find moves that threaten a bigger point swing then whatever losing the ko is worth.

In this simplified example white threatens capturing the three stones to force black to respond, letting white take the ko back.

Official Votecount 3.4Eyes without a face (4): Cape90, tenebrousluminary, Titus, VP Baltar
[E-4]

Titus (1): fireisredsir
Enchant (1): Scorpious
Galron (1): MathBlade
VP Baltar (1): Nero Cain

Not Voting (6): Frogsterking, DeasVail, Enchant, Galron, Eyes without a face, April Ludgate

Last edited by Mizzytastic on Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5272 (isolation #57) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:21 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Aaaand...
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5273 (isolation #58) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:21 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Sometimes a ko is onesided. One player doesn't lose much if they lose but wins big if they win or vice versa. This is called a picnic ko or flower ko. Here white could choose to just live by playing 4 after black 1, but instead created a ko for the whole group, instead of just accepting the smaller reduction. Black doesn't lose much if he loses the ko, but white loses everything if they do.

Official Votecount 3.5VP Baltar (5): Nero Cain, fireisredsir, MathBlade, tenebrousluminary, Enchant
[E-3]

Eyes without a face (2): Cape90, VP Baltar
Nero Cain (1): Titus

Not Voting (5): Frogsterking, DeasVail, Galron, Eyes without a face, April Ludgate

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5373 (isolation #59) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:46 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

In this example there are two kos, which mean the black group cannot die. If white takes one ko to atari the group, black takes the other. Ultimately the black group is alive and can eventually capture white at the top. However white taking either ko is a big ko threat if any other kos break out.

Official Votecount 3.6VP Baltar (6): Nero Cain, fireisredsir, MathBlade, tenebrousluminary, Enchant, Save The Dragons
[E-2]

Nero Cain (2): Titus, VP Baltar

Not Voting (5): Frogsterking, DeasVail, Galron, Eyes without a face, April Ludgate

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5418 (isolation #60) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:18 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Eyes without a face
has been prodded.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5475 (isolation #61) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:32 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

No picture here because I only took one photo last night, but the game I shared at the start of the day ended up having a multiple ko situation. Instead of life like the previous example this ended up being seki between a black and two white groups. The black group was involved with a ko with each white group where neither side could win the ko without reducing their liberties to one and getting captured. Managing to make a seki out of the situation is what ended up winning me the game.

Official Votecount 3.7VP Baltar (5): Nero Cain, fireisredsir, MathBlade, tenebrousluminary, Save The Dragons
[E-3]

Nero Cain (3): Titus, VP Baltar, Cape90
Enchant (1): Enchant
Cape90 (1): Scorpious

Last edited by Mizzytastic on Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5848 (isolation #62) » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:27 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

A common mistake for a lot of ameteurs is playing ko threats as 'forcing moves' that don't actually advance the game. But sometimes you have to, such as the
timesuji[/i]
. In a timesuji a player plays a move they know will force a response that doesn't do anything to give themselves extra thinking time.

Official Votecount 3.9VP Baltar (4): Nero Cain, tenebrousluminary, Save The Dragons, Frogsterking
[E-4]

Frogsterking (3): Eyes without a face, VP Baltar, Scorpious
Save the Dragons (1): Enchant
Nero Cain (1): Cape90
DeasVail (1): Titus
April Ludgate (1): MathBlade

Not Voting (4): DeasVail, Galron, fireisredsir, April Ludgate

The prod timer for
April Ludgate
hasn't been reached.
Last edited by Mizzytastic on Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5856 (isolation #63) » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:32 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

I had
Titus
voting
Frogsterking
and not
DeasVail
. As of this post it has been fixed. You can find the vote count here.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6273 (isolation #64) » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:18 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

Talking of time, how long does a game of go take? Casually I've found a full 19x19 board game times to take forty five minutes to an hour. However in the past big professional games would be played over multiple days. This is much rarer now.

Official Votecount 3.12VP Baltar (5): Nero Cain, Save The Dragons, Frogsterking, tenebrousluminary, fireisredsir
[E-3]

Cape90 (2): Mathblade, Titus
Frogsterking (1): Eyes without a face
Save the Dragons (1): Enchant
Nero Cain (1): VP Baltar

Not Voting (4): Scorpious, DeasVail, Galron, April Ludgate, Cape90

Last edited by Mizzytastic on Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6346 (isolation #65) » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:27 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

Two
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6347 (isolation #66) » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:27 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

more
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6348 (isolation #67) » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:27 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

The most common time system now uses is
byo-yomi
. In this system a player has an amount of main time. Once that is used up they have a number of byo-yomi periods. A period is only used up if you use it's full length of time. A lot of the games I play online have 20 minutes main time and 3 periods of 30 seconds byo-yomi.

Official Votecount 3.13VP Baltar (5): Nero Cain, Save The Dragons, Frogsterking, tenebrousluminary, fireisredsir
[E-3]

Cape90 (3): Mathblade, Titus, Scorpious
April Ludgate (2): Cape90, Enchant
Nero Cain (1): VP Baltar

Not Voting (3): DeasVail, Galron, April Ludgate

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6500 (isolation #68) » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:02 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Just something I like the name of here. This is an example of a family of shapes known as
Tanuki no hara tsuzumi
or Tanuki drums his belly. It's not a shape that comes up often or anything, but the name is neat.

Official Votecount 3.15VP Baltar (8): Nero Cain, Save The Dragons, Frogsterking, tenebrousluminary, DeasVail, April Ludgate, Mathblade, Titus
[E-0!]

Nero Cain (4): VP Baltar, fireisredsir, Enchant, Scorpious
April Ludgate (1): Cape90

Not Voting (1): Galron

With 15 players alive, an elimination has been acheived.

Last edited by Mizzytastic on Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6501 (isolation #69) » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:09 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

VP Baltar
Town Ascetic Neighbor
, has been eliminated.

VP BaltarYou are a
Town Ascetic Neighbor

You are a member of a
Neighborhood
. You share a private thread with the other members, which you can talk in at any time, including the day.

Non-killing actions targeting you will fail.

The game thread is here and your Neighborhood thread is REDACTED, please confirm your role and alignment via pm.

Night 3

Night 3 has begun. It will end in (expired on 2022-03-23 17:20:00). You have until then to submit any night actions you want to take.

If all living players pm me asking for a fast night I will resolve the night as soon as possible.

(7/14 for fast night)
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6502 (isolation #70) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:20 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Nero Cain
has been found dead. They were a

Nero CainYou are a

You are a member of a
Neighborhood

Each night you may visit a player you did not visit on the previous night to protect them. Assuming no interference, one killing action targeting that player will be prevented.

The game thread is here and your Neighborhood thread is REDACTED, please confirm your role and alignment via pm.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6503 (isolation #71) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:21 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Day 4

I shouldn't just show you obscure shapes that show up rarely. This is the ladder. Ladders are when you can just keep putting it into atari until you hit the edge of the board. They are rarely played out but whether or not a ladder will be saved by landing on your stones or be captured can change how a lot of sequences go.

Image Image

Official Votecount 4.0Anyone (0): Nobody

Not Voting (13): Frogsterking, Scorpious, Save The Dragons, DeasVail, Titus, Enchant, Galron, fireisredsir, Eyes without a face, April Ludgate, tenebrousluminary, Cape90, MathBlade

With 13 players alive, it takes 7 votes to achieve an elimination.

Day 4 will end in (expired on 2022-03-31 17:30:00).

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6576 (isolation #72) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:29 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

This shows how you can save a ladder. In this case black wants to play at b to keep the ladder going. But if white has a stone at a then it breaks out. This is known as a ladder breaker. Playing out a broken ladder is usually awful for you because all the stones you use to keep taking it can be captured with double ataris.

Image Image

Official Votecount 4.1Titus (4): Scorpious, fireisredsir, MathBlade, April Ludgate
[E-3]

Not Voting (9): Frogsterking, Save The Dragons, DeasVail, Titus, Enchant, Galron, Eyes without a face, tenebrousluminary, Cape90

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6698 (isolation #73) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:25 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Very occasionally it is correct to play out the broken ladder. In this game Lee Sedol (probably the best player of his generation) forces white to play out the broken ladder to capture all the white stones in the bottom right. It is a famous game because playing out a ladder is so uncommon, especially a broken one.

Official Votecount 4.2Titus (3): Scorpious, fireisredsir, MathBlade
[E-4]

Frogsterking (2): April Ludgate, Titus
Save The Dragons (1): Enchant

Not Voting (7): Frogsterking, Save The Dragons, DeasVail, Galron, Eyes without a face, tenebrousluminary, Cape90

Last edited by Mizzytastic on Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6799 (isolation #74) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:52 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

The partner of the ladder is the net. A net is when you can just play a stone to surround and your opponent can no longer escape. When trying to capture some stones it's worth asking "Can I net it?", and if that fails "Can I ladder it?"

None of the letter marked moves let black escape.

Official Votecount 4.3Titus (3): fireisredsir, MathBlade Scorpious
[E-4]

April Ludgate (3): Cape90, tenebrousluminary, Save The Dragons
[E-4]

Frogsterking (2): April Ludgate, Titus

Not Voting (4): Frogsterking, DeasVail, Galron, Eyes without a face

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6839 (isolation #75) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:39 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

Lee Sedol's greatest game is not the ladder game. In 2016 he played DeepMind's AlphaGo AI in an exhibition match, and in the 4th game he became the last human to beat the worlds strongest go AI. Move 78 for white is the winning move, leading to a complex all or nothing strategy that this version of Alpha Go was not able to respond to.

Official Votecount 4.4Titus (7): fireisredsir, MathBlade, Scorpious, Cape90, tenebrousluminary, Save The Dragons, Titus
[E-0!]

Frogsterking (1): April Ludgate,

Not Voting (4): Frogsterking, DeasVail, Galron, Eyes without a face

With 13 players alive, an elimination has been achieved.

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6840 (isolation #76) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:52 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

Titus
Mafia 2-Shot Alien
, has been eliminated.

TitusYou are a
Mafia 2-Shot Alien

You form a
Mafia
family along with REDACTED. You share a private thread which you can talk in at any time, including the day.

Two times during the game you may abduct a player at night. Assuming no interference that players actions will be blocked and other actions targeting them will be blocked.

Each night a member of your family may perform a factional kill. A member of your family visits a player, and assuming no interference that player will die. You may not abduct and kill in the same night.

You win when all players not aligned with you are dead or nothing can prevent that from happening, and at least 1 mafia aligned player is alive.

The game thread is here and your Mafia private thread is REDACTED, please confirm your role and alignment via pm or your private thread.

Night 4

Night 4 has begun. It will end in (expired on 2022-03-26 02:00:00). You have until then to submit any night actions you want to take.

(6/12 for fast night)

While I am having a bout of insomnia tonight, I will most likely not be awake when the countdown ends, so do not be surprised if there is a delay in Day 5 starting. The countdown is still the cutoff point for submitting night actions by.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6841 (isolation #77) » Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:37 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

Enchant
Town 2-Shot Vigilante

EnchantYou are a
Town 2-Shot Vigilante

Twice during the game you may visit a player at night to shoot them. Assuming no interference, they will die.

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6842 (isolation #78) » Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:38 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

Day 5

An introduction to rankings in go. Depending on where you play a beginner starts at 20 to 30
kyu
. As they improve they work their way up to 1 kyu. The next rank is 1
dan
. A lot of in person go associations have 7 dan as the highest amateur rank but online servers often go up to 9 dan.

Official Votecount 5.0Anyone (0): Nobody

Not Voting (11): Frogsterking, Scorpious, Save The Dragons, DeasVail, Galron, fireisredsir, Eyes without a face, April Ludgate, tenebrousluminary, Cape90, MathBlade

With 11 players alive, it takes 6 votes to achieve an elimination.

Day 5 will end in (expired on 2022-04-03 05:45:00).

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6923 (isolation #79) » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:31 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

One use of amateur ranks is in handicap go. The weaker player gains one stone for each rank weaker they are, but after handicap is placed white goes first as the stronger player and komi is only 0.5. For a singular handicap you just play with no komi. Most places follow a set pattern for placing handicap stones, but some let the weaker player place them freely.

Official Votecount 5.1Save The Dragons (1): Galron
fireisredsir (1): Frogsterking

Not Voting (9): Scorpious, Save The Dragons, DeasVail, fireisredsir, Eyes without a face, April Ludgate, tenebrousluminary, Cape90, MathBlade

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7025 (isolation #80) » Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:04 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Professional ranks are a far older system with a lot of history. Professional ranks are also dan ranks, starting at one and going to nine, but they don't correspond to amateur rank, where the strongest amateur dan is often considered around professional level. Professional ranks represent career achievement and while I've seen an estimate of about a 3 handicap difference between the strongest and weakest pros, no pro would accept handicap.

Official Votecount 5.2Frogsterking (2): Scorpious, April Ludgate
[E-4]

April Ludgate (2): MathBlade, Save The Dragons
[E-4]

Save The Dragons (1): Galron

Not Voting (5): DeasVail, fireisredsir, Eyes without a face, tenebrousluminary, Cape90

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7148 (isolation #81) » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:04 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

The historical professional system was something that was developed in Japan, with a number of individual profressional schools. I'm going to read more about it because it's not a time period I know that much about. At the time the highest ranks were very limited in number, and often associated with ceremonial or administratve positions along with success in play (e.g. the head of a school would generally be of a specific rank, 7 dan iirc but I've not checked it yet).

Official Votecount 5.3April Ludgate (3): Save The Dragons, tenebrousluminary, Cape90
[E-3]

Frogsterking (2): Scorpious, April Ludgate

Not Voting (4): DeasVail, fireisredsir, Eyes without a face, MathBlade

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7245 (isolation #82) » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:21 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

I'm feeling quite ill and I don't trust my brain right now so I'll let the worst handle vote counts
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7322 (isolation #83) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:19 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

and...
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7323 (isolation #84) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:19 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Today on Mizzy doesn't have anything planned so you get an interesting shape, I present the monkey jump. You can go a lot further than you might expect at the edge of the board, and often end up with the initiative too. This is a big endgame move, that comes up relatively frequently.

Official Votecount 5.6Frogsterking (3): Scorpious, April Ludgate, tenebrousluminary
[E-3]

Not Voting (6): Frogsterking, DeasVail, fireisredsir, Eyes without a face, MathBlade, Cape90

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7325 (isolation #85) » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:30 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

In post 7260, Cape90 wrote:
In post 7247, Mizzytastic wrote:I'm feeling quite ill and I don't trust my brain right now so I'll let the worst handle vote counts
Feel better soon!
It was a 24 hour stomach bug so I think I'm part the worst of it. Mostly just tired and low appetite now. I feel like I have a grip on reality again so that's nice. Thanks for the concern
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7449 (isolation #86) » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:17 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

More animal named shapes. The Tiger's Mouth is a very common way of connecting stones or trying to develop eyeshape, though further down the line poking at the gap in the middle can end up being a weakness.

Official Votecount 5.9Frogsterking (3): Scorpious, tenebrousluminary, April Ludgate
[E-3]

Cape90 (3): MathBlade, fireisredsir, Eyes without a face
[E-3]

DeasVail (1): Cape90

Not Voting (3): Frogsterking, DeasVail, Galron

Last edited by Mizzytastic on Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7598 (isolation #87) » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:19 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

This shape is known as an Elephant Eye. It has an obvious weakness where your opponent can play in the middle, so you have to be careful unless both sides have something strong to connect to or you can sacrifice one side for value.

Official Votecount 5.11Cape90 (3): MathBlade, Eyes without a face, tenebrousluminary
[E-3]

Frogsterking (3): Scorpious, April Ludgate, Cape90
[E-3]

Not Voting (4): Frogsterking, DeasVail, Galron, fireisredsir

Last edited by Mizzytastic on Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7652 (isolation #88) » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:42 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

In addition to some wonderfully named shapes go has a tradition of proverbs. One of my favourites is
"Don't go fishing when your house is on fire."
You shouldn't go play somewhere else while the stuff you still have is at risk of disaster.

Official Votecount 5.12Cape90 (5): MathBlade, Eyes without a face, fireisredsir, DeasVail, tenebrousluminary
[E-1]

Frogsterking (3): Scorpious, April Ludgate, Cape90
April Ludgate (2): Save The Dragons, Frogsterking

Not Voting (1): Galron,

Last edited by Mizzytastic on Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7663 (isolation #89) » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:06 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

A useful proverb to learn even early is
"Corner, sides, center."
This is because it is easier to make territory in corners, than one the sides, than in the centre, and it gives you a direction as to where to play first.

Official Votecount 5.13Cape90 (6): MathBlade, Eyes without a face, fireisredsir, DeasVail, tenebrousluminary, April Ludgate
[E-0!]

Frogsterking (2): Scorpious, Cape90
April Ludgate (2): Save The Dragons, Frogsterking

Not Voting (1): Galron,

With 11 players alive, an elimination has been achieved.

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7664 (isolation #90) » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:14 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Cape90
Town Neighbor
, has been eliminated.

Cape90You are a
Town Neighbor

You are a member of a
Neighborhood

Night 5

Night 5 has begun. It will end in (expired on 2022-04-01 23:20:00). You have until then to submit any night actions you want to take.

(6/10 for fast night)
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7665 (isolation #91) » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:25 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

fireisredsir
Town Traffic Analyst

fireisredsirYou are a
Town Traffic Analyst

Each night you may visit a player to investigate their communications. Assuming no interference, you will be informed "PLAYERNAME has communications.", "PLAYERNAME does not have communications.", or "You got no result investigating PLAYERNAME.". A player has communications if they are a member of a private thread with more than one living member, or a Mailman.

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7666 (isolation #92) » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:26 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Day 6

Lastly, any player with at least 2 animals of the same type receives exactly one additional (baby) animal of that type – but only if the lamb, the shoat (piglet) or the calf can be accommodated in the farmyard (or on an appropriate Improvement card, for example the “Animal Yard”, “Wildlife Reserve” or “Forest Pasture”).

Official Votecount 6.0Anyone (0): Nobody

Not Voting (9): Frogsterking, Scorpious, Save The Dragons, DeasVail, Galron, Eyes without a face, April Ludgate, tenebrousluminary, MathBlade

With 9 players alive, it takes 5 votes to achieve an elimination.

Day 6 will end in (expired on 2022-04-09 23:35:00).

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7798 (isolation #93) » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:13 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Shin Jinseo's natural rival is Ke Jie. He was probably the strongest player at the advent of Go AI, and was the person to play the new stronger version after the earlier matches with Lee Sedol. He is currently the second player in the world, and has a reputation for being very aggressive, and making hyperbolic statements on social media.

Official Votecount 6.2Frogsterking (2): Scorpious, tenebrousluminary
Eyes without a face (1): Frogsterking

Not Voting (6): Save The Dragons, DeasVail, Galron, Eyes without a face, MathBlade, April Ludgate

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7829 (isolation #94) » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:30 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

MegAzumarill
is replacing
Eyes without a face
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7848 (isolation #95) » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:04 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Before Lee Sedol (from the first Alphago matches) the greatest player of his age was Lee Changho. He was known for a peaceful calculating style, letting people get what they want and still winning anyway. It wasn't until the advent of hyperaggressive players like Lee Sedol that he could be defeated.

Official Votecount 6.3Frogsterking (1): tenebrousluminary
[E-4]

MegAzumarill (1): Frogsterking
[E-4]

tenebrousluminary (1): Scorpious
[E-4]

Not Voting (6): Save The Dragons, DeasVail, Galron, MegAzumarill, MathBlade, April Ludgate

Last edited by Mizzytastic on Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7938 (isolation #96) » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:23 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

A dead player has posted in the thread. I've deleted the posts in question and am talking to the listmod. Please do not continue to discuss it and treat it like Outside of Game Influence.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7953 (isolation #97) » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:38 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Galron
has been prodded.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7972 (isolation #98) » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:18 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

And...
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7973 (isolation #99) » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:19 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Before the height of Lee Changho, most dominant players were memebers of the Japanese Go Institute. One of the greatest was Cho Chikun (he of the tea stealing I shared earlier). He holds the most total titles of any Japanese player and held the three major ones simultaneously for the first time ever. He also has a reputation of being a bit of a mad genius.

Official Votecount 6.5MegAzumarill (4): Frogsterking, tenebrousluminary, MathBlade, Save The Dragons
[E-1]

Frogsterking (3): April Ludgate, Scorpious, DeasVail
[E-2]

Not Voting (2): Galron, MegAzumarill

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7976 (isolation #100) » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:49 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Cho Chikun's rival was Kobayashi Koichi. He is now best known for the Kobayashi fuseki, an opening he popularised at the height of his ability. It's still played a lot today, despite AI disliking the sort of openings from that era of go.

Official Votecount 6.6MegAzumarill (5): Frogsterking, tenebrousluminary, MathBlade, Save The Dragons, DeasVail
[E-0!]

Frogsterking (2): April Ludgate, Scorpious

Not Voting (2): Galron, MegAzumarill

With 9 players alive, an elimination has been acheived.

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7977 (isolation #101) » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:03 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

MegAzumarill
, has been eliminated.

MegAzumarillYou are a

You form a
Mafia
family along with REDACTED. You share a private thread which you can talk in at any time, including the day.

Four times during the game you may visit a player at night to learn what they did that night and whether they have a gun. Assuming no interference you will be informed "PLAYERNAME performed an action of TYPE(S).", "PLAYERNAME performed no action.", or "You got no result from following PLAYERNAME." at the end of the night. The types of action for a normal game are:

Spoiler: Action Types
  • Commute - Commuter
  • Blocking - Roleblocker, Rolestopper, Alien
  • Jailkeep - Jailkeeper
  • Protection - Doctor, Bodyguard, Babysitter (when it protects)
  • Miscellaneous - Neighborizer, Friendly Neighbor, Hider, Fruit Vendor, Visitor, Mailman, Checker
  • Kill - Mafia factional kill, SK factional kill, Strongman, Vigilante, Babysitter (when it kills)
  • Role Investigation - Cop, Gunsmith, Role Cop, Vanilla Cop, Neapolitan, Psychologist, Detective, Traffic Analyst, PT Cop, Finder
  • Action Investigation - Tracker, Watcher, Voyeur, Follower, Motion Detector, Role Watcher

You will also be informed "PLAYERNAME has a gun.", "PLAYERNAME does not have a gun", or "You got no result from gunsmith investigating PLAYERNAME." Roles with a gun are

Spoiler: Roles with guns
In Normal games on mafiascum.net, a Gunsmith gets guilties on all Mafia (except Traitors and Doctors), Cops, Vigilantes, Gunsmiths, Role Cops, Vanilla Cops, PT Cops, Vengefuls, Detectives, Neapolitans, Backups of roles with guns and Jacks of All Trades that have any of these listed powers.

Each night a member of your family may perform a factional kill. A member of your family visits a player, and assuming no interference that player will die. You may not use your combined ability and kill in the same night.

Night 6

Night 6 has begun. It will end in (expired on 2022-04-08 00:10:00). You have until then to submit any night actions you want to take.

(4/8 for fast night)
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7978 (isolation #102) » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:30 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Galron
is being replaced. They have until I can find a replacement to PM me, or post in this thread once it is open again.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7979 (isolation #103) » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:24 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Dwlee99
is replacing
Galron
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7980 (isolation #104) » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:10 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

MathBlade
has been found dead. He was a
Town Mason

MathBladeYou are a
Town Mason

You are a member of a
Masonry
. All members of the Masonry are confirmed to you to be
Town

The game thread is here and your Masonry thread is REDACTED, please confirm your role and alignment via pm.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7981 (isolation #105) » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:10 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

Day 7

The image below is from a famous piece of artwork depicting a samurai protecting his lord from assailants with the only weapon he had to hand, a goban. From it has arisen the more humorous idea of the nuclear tesuji, where you throw the board at the wall before uppercutting your opponent to avoid a loss.

Official Votecount 7.0Anyone (0): Nobody

Not Voting (7): Frogsterking, Scorpious, Save The Dragons, DeasVail, Dwlee99, April Ludgate, tenebrousluminary

With 7 players alive, it takes 4 votes to achieve an elimination.

Day 7 will end in (expired on 2022-04-16 00:20:00).

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8023 (isolation #106) » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:54 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

If you want to give playing go a try my recommendation is the Online Go Server, or OGS. It's a western server with a good population of beginner players and the ability to play against bots, including ones at beginner strengths.

Official Votecount 7.1tenebrousluminary (1): Scorpious
[E-3]

Not Voting (6): Frogsterking, Save The Dragons, DeasVail, Dwlee99, April Ludgate, tenebrousluminary

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8039 (isolation #107) » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:45 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Frogsterking
has been prodded.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8048 (isolation #108) » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:29 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

The site I recommend for go problems is Tsumego Hero. It's in English and it has a good selection of problem collections so you can work through curated sets instead of just random problems.

Official Votecount 7.2Scorpious (2): Save The Dragons, tenebrousluminary
[E-2]

Not Voting (4): Frogsterking, DeasVail, Dwlee99, April Ludgate

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8055 (isolation #109) » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:55 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

If you want to find a local club it's often just best to search your local area on google. However, baduk.club is a site you can use to find local players and clubs, though it's not as widely used as it could be.

Official Votecount 7.3Scorpious (4): Save The Dragons, tenebrousluminary, Dwlee99, Frogsterking
[E-0]

Not Voting (2): DeasVail, April Ludgate

With 7 players alive, an elimination has been achieved.

Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8056 (isolation #110) » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:13 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Scorpious
Vanilla Townie
, has been eliminated.

ScorpiousYou are a
Vanilla Townie

Suspicious figures move in the night.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8057 (isolation #111) » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:14 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

With a few well placed bullets, the
mafia
win.

The winners are

Frogsterking,
Mafia Goon

Dwlee99,
Mafia Informed Neighbor

Save The Dragons,
Mafia Bulletproof Traitor

along with the deceased

Titus,
Mafia 2-Shot Alien

MegAzumarill,

The remaining members of the town die in the endgame.

DeasVail,
Vanilla Townie

April Ludgate,
Vanilla Townie

tenebrousluminary
Vanilla Townie

They join

GeneralWu,
Vanilla Townie

humaneatingmonkey,
Town Mason

MalcolmTucker,
Vanilla Townie

Yeet,
Town 3-Shot Psychologist

VP Baltar,
Town Ascetic Neighbor

Nero Cain,

Enchant,
Town 2-Shot Vigilante

Cape90,
Town Neighbor

fireisredsir,
Town Traffic Analyst

MathBlade,
Town Mason

Scorpious,
Vanilla Townie
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8058 (isolation #112) » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:15 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Game Threads

Mafia Thread viewtopic.php?f=90&t=88993
Mason Thread viewtopic.php?f=90&t=88991
Neighbourhood Thread viewtopic.php?f=90&t=88992
Dead/spectator Thread viewtopic.php?f=90&t=88990
Mod Thread viewtopic.php?f=90&t=88988
Review Thread viewtopic.php?f=123&t=88696

Titus's Posthumous Notes Thread viewtopic.php?f=90&t=89148

If you were a member of any private threads you have (expired on 2022-04-11 22:15:00) to request that thread is not released or to request any redactions. If you tell me you are ok with releasing it I can release it sooner.

Night Actions

Game EventsNight 1:
fireisredsir investigates Save The Dragons, who doesn't have any communications
Datisi abducts fua (1 shot left)
Nero Cain protects fua, but is blocked
fua shoots fireisredsir, but is blocked (1 shot left)
skitter30 shoots humaneatingmonkey
Yeet investigates skitter, she has already killed (2 shots left)
Eyes without a face investigates Save The Dragons, who perfoms no action and doesn't have a gun (3 shots left)

Night 2:
Frogsterking shoots Yeet
Yeet investigates April Ludgate who cannot kill, and takes that knowledge to the grave
Titus abducts Enchant (0 shots left)
Enchant doesn't shoot (1 shot left)
Nero Cain protects MathBlade
Eyes without a face investigates Nero Cain, who does a protective action and doesn't have a gun (2 shots left)
fireisredsir investigates Titus, who has communications

Night 3:
fireisredsir investigates April Ludgate, who does not have communications
Titus shoots Nero Cain
Eyes without a face investigates DeasVail who does no action and doesn't have a gun (1 shot left)
Nero Cain protects tenebrousluminary
Enchant shoots Save the Dragons, who is bulletproof (0 shots left)

Night 4:
Frogsterking kills Enchant
Eyes without a face investigates tenebrousluminary, who does no action and doesn't have a gun (0 shots left)
fireisredsir investigates DeasVail, who has no communications

Night 5:
Frogsterking kills fireisredsir
fireisredsir investigates Frogsterking, who has communications, and takes that to the grave

Night 6:
Frogsterking kills MathBlade
Last edited by Mizzytastic on Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8064 (isolation #113) » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:19 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

I'll be sending out PMs and stuff for a little bit so bare with me

I'm happy to receive any feedback on the game

The informed part for skitter30/Galron/Dwlee99 was that the traitor was bulletproof and not a neighbor, and that there was a psychologist (but not the number of shots or anything)
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8080 (isolation #114) » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:46 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

Yeah, when I talked to implosion about it the remedies were what I had already done (deleted the posts), or lock thread, find everyone who saw it and force replace. I felt like the latter would have been more damaging to a 300 page game considering you were more or less unspoiled and your post had been low content

Just remember, private threads are purple!
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8084 (isolation #115) » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:56 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

I'm waiting for the review thread to be released but the general sentiment was town has a lot of mechanical power to get clears but 5 vs 14 gives scum a lot of social influence, combined with the potential for false clears. The only balance change was informing the scum about the psychologist as well as the stuff I told them about the traitor. The 3:1 hood was considered slightly +town as the expected distribution, I considered having 2 scum neighbors as a way to scumside the setup more but I dunno how the reviewers would have felt about an all town hood, because it never really came up.

I have pmed the reviewers so maybe they'll pop in the thread, I dunno
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8104 (isolation #116) » Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:58 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

In post 8090, VP Baltar wrote:
In post 8088, DeasVail wrote:Also just wanted to say that I enjoyed playing with a lot of people in this game, with particular shoutouts to Yeet, tenebrousluminary, Malcolm, cape90 and fireisred who I’d never played with before.
I’m sorry for the part I played in making it a more confusing game for town, but it was still fun because of all of you! Take care <3
+1 would play with anyone in this game again.
I said it in the dead thread but for a game were a number of people felt like the atmosphere was getting quite toxic, you all were a pleasure to moderate for. I've seen way worse get called normal or baseline on this site
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8106 (isolation #117) » Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:00 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

Also, I just wanted to say Enchant's bingo card and STD explaining the number 2 both killed me with laughter
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8110 (isolation #118) » Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:21 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

The review thread is now available

Review Thread viewtopic.php?f=123&t=88696
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8115 (isolation #119) » Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:28 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »

You've reviewed/played in some of my games before, and I try to keep a consistent style. I think mine tend to be more verbose than most
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8164 (isolation #120) » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:53 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

For the people talking about balance negatively do you think this game was particularly egregious or just symptomatic of where NRG balance is at? If I can make games that still hit what the NRG wants but also feel fairer to the players then I want to do that.
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8190 (isolation #121) » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:31 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

In post 8186, implosion wrote:I do have some comments here (since I was pinged).

Thanks for this. I was personally curious because I wanna get better at setup design, but I also thought it was worth getting feedback considering some people felt like this setup shouldn't have ever gotten through review

To be clear I'm not hurt by that, just feel like it's a discussion worth having
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8196 (isolation #122) » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:36 am

Post by Mizzytastic »

In post 8194, fua wrote:April was town???
Yes, to the surprise of many, including scum
Mizzytastic
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mizzytastic
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8206 (isolation #123) » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:39 pm

Post by Mizzytastic »