petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...
Pronoun: he/him/his

Post Post #1088 (isolation #0) » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:47 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Okey-day!

Just got my role PM, and from what I understand I'm replacing EyceKing. Peremptory *huggles* for Ibs. <3

I'll get to reading through this game ASAP, but two notes:
1.) I have an important game on deadline elsewhere I will be focusing on; and
2.) Once I get a hold of the HP book this weekend it will almost be impossible to tear me away from it until I'm finished with it

No worries bringing me "up to speed"; I'd rather read through the game on my own time than have somebody tell me their version of events. I expect to be done reading through the game by Monday, and Wednesday at the
absolute
latest.
"Logic? I call that flapdoodle."
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1145 (isolation #1) » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:57 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

Okay. I haven't read much of the thread still -- I keep getting bored out of my skull when reading through the "director election" stuff -- but after asking Pooks about my role choices, I am already ticked off.

I am assuming everything EyceKing did was public, so I don't think I'm revealing super-secret information here.

I was apparently assigned to be a White House Liaison from Hours 1-4, and it took 4 complete hours to finish my job. But I was
switched away from my job at the end of Hour 4 thereby making all of those hours wasted
. From my understanding, Yos2 is the person who controls job switching. I want an explanation for why I was switched away from doing this, and
immediately
. I don't care if you've explained it before - you
will
type it out for me again. Switching me away
right when I was about to finish a mission
is completely stupid, especially since from my understanding even if I were scum I could not do anything to sabotage it, since lots of the other roles talk about how results could be tampered with, but there is no such qualifier for the White House Liaison.

Secondly. My next job was apparently, during Hour 5, to be an FBI Liaison. Funnily enough, my earlier job (White House Liaison) was apparently supposed to speed up FBI investigations by
three hours
(would have been helpful!) because I "put pressure on them" as a White House Liaison. I was then going to investigate Spambot, but then I was
switched again
!

Thirdly, I've apparently had to spend 2 hours investigating Convention Centre, because the first investigation was nebulous, but now it is confirmed (so long as sanity applies?) that it is undoubtedly clear from having a nuke.

So chop chop! Why has my role been made completely useless for an entire 5 hours (possibly 6, if you count the uncertain result for the first investigation of the Convention Centre)?
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1148 (isolation #2) » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:07 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

._. You can't be serious.

Could you link me to the post where this happens so I have a milestone to get to while reading? Argh.

Also, I don't consider the White House Liaison an "investigation role"; my function seemed to be a motivator for the FBI. That said, I don't see why my role was switched (nor how somebody could sabotage so many departments at once?).
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1151 (isolation #3) » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:12 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Yos2 wrote:The relevent events happened on hours 3 and 4; the first attempt by the scum to hack into my account failed, the second one, on day 4, suceeded, followed by the 3 orders hitting at the end of hour 4.
Questions.

1.) How do you know the first attempt failed? Link the post, please.
2.) How could scum try twice in a row so soon? If they tried Hour 3 and failed (which indicates me it took 3 hours of waiting time), how come they got another full shot in 1 hour?
3.) How much, if any, information did the scum get through this 'hacking'?
4.) Does it matter that the orders were sent out "in your name"? Is there a way to trace this? [Note: I have not fully absorbed all the roles yet, I should get to that].
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1152 (isolation #4) » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:24 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

And my role is apparently doing nothing at the moment because I was not informed I had to send something in. :x

So - what's all been done and what needs doing? I'm a Field Agent, so tell me where I ought to be. I don't know how fast I'll be able to catch up, this reading is fairly dense, but I assume I can send in an action right now so more time isn't wasted.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1154 (isolation #5) » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:31 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Is there something especially good about Spambot that makes him in need of bodyguarding? I ask because I was chose to investigate him before switching off the FBI Liaison job, which indicates to me that at the very least, the person in charge of my role found him to be scummy.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1156 (isolation #6) » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:47 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Um. Doesn't the first post say you're also a Crypto? Or is that outdated?
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1159 (isolation #7) » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:18 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Okay, I've been scanning the map. Can I confirm that these are the places where the bomb can be hidden, or did I miss someplace? And we auto-win if we get Bauer to defuse the bomb? Do we know if the bomb will remain in one static area, or if it can be moved?

1.) Washington Convention Center (which my role as cleared)
2.) Union Station
3.) Library of Congress
4.) U.S. Supreme Court
5.) Verizon Center
6.) National Building Museum
7.) U.S. Capitol
8.) U.S. Botanic Garden
9.) National Museum of the American Indian
10.) National Air & Science Museum
11.) National Gallery of Art [East Building]
12.) National Gallery of Art [West Building]
13.) White House
14.) Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
15.) National Museum of National History
16.) National Museum of American History
17.) National Museum of African Art
18.) United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
19.) Washington Monument
20.) Jefferson Memorial
21.) World War II Memorial
22.) Lincoln Memorial
23.) Historical Society of Washington D.C. [hidden in front of Convention Center]
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1164 (isolation #8) » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:33 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Okay, trying to read the game in-depth. I'll pause every 5 pages or so with a post.

Pages 1-5

Guardian, 50 wrote:I don't think newer players are more likely to work with town, just easier to read if they slip up as scum. My sentence was confusing.
Would you be able to tell the difference between a "slip" by scum from a "mistake" by a newbie? I can understand the basic reason for wanting to fill important positions with new players, but in doing so you are also giving them the perfect excuse of "being new and making a mistake" if they actually sabotage something. Also – and I don't know if this is possible – even if there had been newbie players in important positions, couldn't an experienced scum-buddy tell them how to sabotage and lie anyways? I don't know if there is night-talking in this game since it doesn't have night. At the very least, I understand that if the Director is scum, they would have the ability to relay information with their buddies all game long, such that they could direct newbie-scum on how to act.

Furthermore, Xdaamno claims that the Counter-Intelligence Agent is the most powerful role and as such it should go to a Newbie, but the role is useless if the information is sent to a scum-Crypto. This is a role which essentially requires 2 pro-town people in order to make it work, as opposed to other roles [such as Field Agent] which only require 1 pro-town person in order to make it work (note that Post 26 makes it questionable as to whether there are any 'safe' roles). Since there are a number of roles which require the Cryptologist being pro-town in order for them to be effective, I would say – at first glance – that the Cryptologist is by far and away the most important role to assure is pro-town, possibly other than the Director.

Xdaamno and Yos hit the nails on the head for exactly what I was thinking at this junction. YB focused only on Yos speculating on nightkill targets even though Guardian had just done that, and as Xdaamno points out that the expendability of bodyguards has no bearing on how many people are killed. Course this is rather moot since YB has been lynched as town, but nice to see people catching this.
Yos2, 63 wrote:I was thinking, in fact, that that's something the director's ability to talk in private could be useful for; if a crypto gets a confirmed innocent, he tells the director rather then telling the whole town, that way the information isn't lost unless both the crypto and the director get killed, and it'd make it harder for a scum crypto to hold back information then him just not telling anyone at all.
I don't like this idea, actually.
FoS: Yos2
. This is putting too many of the eggs in one basket – if that cryptologist then dies, the result is completely at the director's word, who already has a good deal of power.
Guardian, 66 wrote:Yos, you seem scummy, trying to post a lot and throw around a lot of good ideas to get the nomination. If you are town, though I would like to be director myself, I would be happy with you being director.
This seems oxymoronic. How can somebody be scummy for throwing out good ideas? [Never mind; should have read post 67 first, which then makes me wonder how Guardian can call people campaigning for Director scummy while
he
is campaigning for Director. x_x]

Korran's behavior/entrance is strange. He doesn't appear to have read the game, and yet is willing to say Guardian 'looks like a great leader'. Can I get a confirmation that Korran/Guardian were in another game together at the time? I've seen a few quick newbie-town meltdowns, but this one looks a bit forced to the point where I'll just keep it as neutral.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1169 (isolation #9) » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:01 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Pages 6-10

Guardian is really pushing the "I'm pro-town, I want to be the director -- anybody else going for director is scummy, anybody who says they don't want me to be director is scummy, and anybody who wants me to be director is town"-line a bit much. This is probably over-simplified, but this is terribly simple behavior to begin with, and is indicating to me that Guardian was acting more like an amoeba reacting to stimuli than a player reacting to information. I'm not sure if this makes him more likely to be scum, but at the very least, it is telling me that he is too quick to trust those who trust him and too quick to call those who distrust him scummy. For
these
reasons, I would not have wanted him to be Director – his positions towards other players seem way too predictable to the point where his trusts could ruin the game for the town.
Albert B. Rampage, 178 wrote: Dude just vote Guardian, its obvious he's town
unless he lied about not receiving a role pm.
Um.
Anybody
could lie about not receiving a role pm. In fact, that's probably one of the first things scum would consider doing. That's not a very inspired reason for choosing somebody as director – seeing as the townie PM explicitly says that Pooky was "too lazy" to send them out, scum could easily slip "I didn't get a role" into their post, or conversely, use it as an excuse to lurk until they are prodded claiming to not have gotten a PM. I won't be using this type of information to determine townieness/scumminess, personally.

Post 223 by Guardian might set a record for how many times he throws in "I am town". It isn't going to convince anybody, so it's just getting annoying at this point. PPE: More of the same in Post 241. Argh. Talk about broken records.

Post 229 by Off the Mark is (to make a pun) off the mark. Yos2 hit it exactly – your early posts seem more concerned with "Look at me, I must be confirmed innocent because I obviously didn't get a role PM!" than anything else. I was okay with Albert's entrance, and I liked UA's entrance, by the by.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1175 (isolation #10) » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:10 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Pages 11-15

Against my better judgment, I'm still giggling over this post. I probably wouldn't have bothered noting this if I had found something else to point up until now, but all these lists of who-would-be-what-roles aren't interesting me very much at the present.

ABR has just said the thing I was wondering about. Interested in why Yos seemed leery to even bother with the White House Liaison.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1177 (isolation #11) » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:45 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Pages 16-20

Guardian piques my curiosity in this post. Why is OTM in the "don't trust" section? How did CTD suddenly get to the "knows what he is doing and is probably town section"? I was under the impression that he thought everybody who acted as if they didn't get role PMs were town, which would include OTM, and that his two biggest suspects were Yos2 and CTD. I might have to reread the posts surrounding this, because I can't offhand remember him expressing direct suspicion of OTM until this post (since his last list before this had OTM as a Cryptologist), but both of these placements look very off in accordance to his words throughout the game.

I take it this is the positions Yos2 assigned at the beginning of the game? I'll assume as much, though I wish Pooks had just posted it in-thread so anybody reading the game could know where things stand.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1178 (isolation #12) » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:21 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Pages 21-25

Important question. OTM, have you changed your protection away from Xdaamno since 586/588 post (I have noticed Xdaamno has died as protown during my reading)? Also, would you mind extrapolating on this post? Early game, you called ABR your effective 'mason buddy', and now you are telling Xdaamno not to "have his mind made up already". Could you explain why you feel these situations are different?
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1180 (isolation #13) » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:48 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Pages 26-30

ABR, 636 wrote:Your still there, protecting either me or SpamBot. You should switch targets every hour. What do you think ?
Bad
bad
bad
. I don't know if ABR knew this, but I have talked with Pooky and this is the absolute
worst
thing a bodyguard can do in this game. From my understanding, if the scum and a bodyguard target the same person in the same hour, whoever sent in the action first takes precedence. That might be somewhat incorrect, but at the very least, if somebody sent in the action on an
hour
before the other, they take precedence. Hard to explain in words, so here's what would happen in this strategy:

Hour One

Bodyguard: Protect X
Mafia: Target X

Hour Two

Bodyguard: Protect Y
Mafia: [Processing Kill]

Hour Three

Bodyguard: Protect X
Mafia: [Processing Kill]

Hour Four

Bodyguard: Protect Y
Mafia: Kill goes through on X

Now, the problem is – even if the Bodyguard decided to continue protecting X during Hour 4, the Mafia kill would
still
go through on X – because their kill was sent on X before the bodyguard last protected X. In other words, switching who the bodyguard protects just means they cannot protect
anybody
, since it takes multiple turns to kill In order for a bodyguard protection to work, they have to be in that position and protect that person before and up until the point of the mafia kill.

We might want clarification on this, but this is my understanding of the mechanic.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1181 (isolation #14) » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:19 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Bah, forget that. I was under the impression that all roles went through a "processing" stage, but apparently the scum can send in the kill whenever they want, but their target will not die until the allotted hour. So long as the bodyguard sends in their target before the mafia sends in their final target, they will be protected and bodyguard will die. So basically, if the bodyguard switches targets every Hour, so long as the mafia sends in their kill an Hour before their allotted time, the bodyguard will be undermined. So it's still a bad plan, but for slightly different reasons.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1182 (isolation #15) » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:39 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Pages 31-35

With the knowledge of the computer hacking and order sending, ABR's posts 791 to 795 almost look like a last-minute confirmation that switching EyceKing [me] from my job would indeed disrupt the pressuring of the FBI.
FoS: Albert B. Rampage
, the timing of this discussion does not sit well with me.

I will have to read the exchange from posts [868] to [875] have me confused enough that I am noting it specifically so that I will go back and read it again once I get a better grasp on who was doing what.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1183 (isolation #16) » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:27 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Pages 36-40

OTM actually mentions something here I agree with – I was wondering why CDB was acting so frantic about 'reading the first post', because saying 'I didn't get a PM' doesn't give away any information whatsoever, since (from what I understand) all townspeople didn't get a PM to start off the game – i.e. all townspeople
are
townies, and they only gain abilities by being assigned them by the director.

At the very least, if Yos2 is scum and faked the hacking, from my understanding the scum nightkill fits the time-frame. If the scum had killed at the end of Hour 4 (on the only "speculation" Pooky would accept as feasible), they could not kill again until Hour 8. I assume a hack would work the same way – if the kill had occured Hour 7, I would hope the town would be after Yos2 immediately. Note: the Guardian/Yos2 debate kinda goes over this. I doubt scum could both hack and nightkill at the same time – that would be utterly disgusting.

I am still getting confused with how "Hours" work, and when roles can do stuff. *shakes fist*

I'm having trouble with Guardian. Regardless of his alignment, I think he is playing badly – I don't understand how his suspicions have progressed at all, nor do I agree with his reasoning very often. Some posts from him seem good, and other ones just leave me wondering what the heck he was thinking while writing them. Also, friendly advice: stop saying "I'm a townie" all the time. It is just annoying, and that's about the only purpose it serves.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1184 (isolation #17) » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:01 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

And these last pages have me confused. I haven't been paying close attention to who has been doing what during what hours, so I will need to read pretty much all of 41-present again. I'll have to take notes specifically for what people have claimed to be doing what hours and whether or not things conflict before I can comment on it with any sort of confidence.

I would also like to see Yos in the office - preferably such that I can talk to him on AIM. I've claimed all my actions (except for what I'm doing Hour 8), but I think I can get caught up on the game and get myself straight if I can squeeze the Director directly.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1186 (isolation #18) » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:17 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

From what I understand, the argument against FA is only partly based on his role-playing. I don't find it scummy on it's own - if you care to read Verbose 2 Mafia [large themed game], I role-played the whole time as a Satanic Nun, who was a Mason for the town. But I
also
stayed on topic in that game, and worked in the role-playing around what I actually had to say, whereas many of FA's comments just to be for the sake of role-playing and "how can you be suspicious of
me?
".

The main bone with FA was ChannelDelibird's early post, where he seems frantic on "not giving away power roles". But that doesn't make sense - I think all townspeople are just "townies", and only get abilities from the assigned roles. Therefore, all townspeople didn't get a role PM - so saying as much isn't giving anything away. All this is indicative that CDB has a higher chance than normal to have received a role PM, which implicates that he is scum.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1285 (isolation #19) » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:56 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Okay. Just finished talking to Yos2 for like three and a half hours. :) I'll have to review our discussion to remember everything, but a couple all-purpose notes:

1.) Seeing as the scum have been able to coordinate both a hacking and a killing, it seems prudent to assume that the scum can talk with each other during the day, likely with or without help of the Director.

2.) When I was talking to Pooky last night, it was heavily implied that the town cannot win the game so easily as "Field Agent finds nuke, send Jack Bauer to defuse, town wins". From what I understand, the nuke is probably guarded - and this comes back to the abilities of the roles we have. Yos2 and I are thinking in order to achieve that win condition, we would have to find which terrorist group we're dealing with, interrogate them/infiltrate them, and then possibly use the "military strike on US Soil" on the area with the nuke before having Jack Bauer defuse it. Of course the game is so completely vague who knows what all we have to do. In either case, it's doubtful to be as simple as I had originally thought.

3.) I have been assured by Pooky that the nuke cannot change locations.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1302 (isolation #20) » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:50 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Would you mind shutting up unless you have something insightful to say? You are just spamming at this point, and it's annoying me.

Vote: Albert B. Rampage
. A few reasons off the top of my head:

1.) The portion Yos2 quoted about their office discussion, where ABR asks for protection to go towards him in particular, where he says "when you die I'll look town", and where he suggests that Yos2 keep office meetings at a minimum (and I can't even think of a single reason for why anybody would make that suggestion)

2.) The timing of his posts where he interrogates EyceKing [me] about what when I would finish my pressuring the FBI, and and then the next real-time day the switch orders are made (disrupting the action)

3.) In conjunction with [2], the fact that he is claiming Yos2 "set up" the hacking, when if anything, the timing of ABR's questions make it look like
he
is the person who set it up
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1310 (isolation #21) » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:01 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

To clarify that vote, I don't particularly agree with the Guardian lynch - I find him annoying and his logic to be off much of the time, but I'm not getting a malicious feeling from his posts.

I'm also not very confident about the FA-lynch; after talking with Yos2, I saw another interpretation of CDB's early post, such that I can see it coming from town or scum (whereas I earlier deemed it as more likely to come from scum than town). And as I've mentioned before, I think role-playing is a fairly null tell, unless it is used to the point where that person is really saying
nothing
(which is not the case with FA). Granted, this doesn't make him town, but I don't think they are scumtells.

Overall, there have been a few things I haven't liked about ABR (and I don't feel into the game enough to comment with any authority about the Yos2/ABR tracking thing which I didn't completely understand), so that's where my vote will go.

PPE: Hmm. I don't know if it's feasible (or wise) to lynch an almost entirely new candidate this late in the Hour, especially since I don't believe ABR has responded to any of those points. To be frank, I doubt we'd be able to lynch him during Hour 8. If the town
really
prefers a lynch during Hour 8 and not Hour 9, I will switch my vote to the scummiest person I think can be lynched, but otherwise I will vote ABR and see what comes of it.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1320 (isolation #22) » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:13 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Well, rhetorical question for you.

Assume the scum kill every hour possible - so if I'm understanding correctly, Hours 12, 16, 20, 24. Also assume the town lynches every hour possible - again, if I'm getting it, Hours 8, 11, 14, 17, 20, 23.

So, two are dead. If all goes like that from here on out:

Hour 8: Lynch => 9 alive
Hour 11: Lynch => 8 alive
Hour 12: Kill => 7 alive
Hour 14: Lynch => 6 alive
Hour 16: Kill => 5 alive
Hour 17: Lynch => 4 alive
Hour 20: Lynch & Kill => 2 alive, game over, making last lynch unneccessary

However, that does bring up another point. If we did wait until Hour 9 to lynch, then there would be a dual [Kill/Lynch] at Hour 12, which leaves a lot of room for manipulation by scum (especially since votes are continuous - they could kill somebody when somebody is at Lynch -1, thereby lowering lynch requirements and lynching somebody simultaneously).

So I guess Hour 8 is the way to go, unless I'm not understanding how lynches and kills interact with each other.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1324 (isolation #23) » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:40 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Also, been trying to get a sense of the hack orders.

*Jack Bauer received faulty intelligence and is ambushed
*CTD [counterintelligence agent] switches jobs with Guardian [Deputy Director]
*EK [White House Liaison] switches jobs with Xdaamno [FBI Liaison]

So, from my seat, I'm seeing a couple things. Scum switched both Liaisons, and both Liaisons are town [Xdaamno died as town, and I know I'm town] - the purpose of that was basically to screw the town moments before those two roles would finish their actions. Switching somebody away from CIA is logical, since that also takes 4 hours to complete, so the switch also ruined that action.

But switching the Deputy Director doesn't really screw the town at all - unless it's putting scum into that position, or moving scum to a more important position. On the surface, I don't see why scum didn't instead switch a SIA or Cryptologist - perhaps because scum already obtain one of those positions. Not sure. Of course, scum by no means have to make all the 'optimal' switches, but I don't see the merit in the Deputy Director. Could be framing, could be because they were rushed, could be lots of things.

Just kind of thinking out loud at this point, but I am puzzled at the switch of the Deputy Director.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1326 (isolation #24) » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:52 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Come again? Just want clarification. You're using pronouns ("him") and I'm not sure who you're referring to.

CTD was made the new Deputy Director, and Guardian was made the CIA. But the thing is, if CTD was scum trying to be the new director, I don't see why
he
would be the one switched to Deputy Director... he already would have had quite a bit of power as CIA.

Was it CTD you thought was scum trying to become Director?
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1329 (isolation #25) » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:01 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Oh good, you're here.

Why did you say Yos2 should "keep office meetings to a minimum"?
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1331 (isolation #26) » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:05 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Also [still to ABR], when you asked for your own bodyguard were you decrypting anything at the time?
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1347 (isolation #27) » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:16 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Well. I don't agree with ABR's response about the office meetings - specifically because I doubt Yos2 would let somebody determine where Jack goes if he does not know that players' alignment - but the fact that you had a somewhat logical answer forces me to double-think, because I could not think of a single reason why anybody would suggest the Director do anything
but
have as many meetings as possible. I would think that the best way to catch scum [if I were in the Director's position] would be talk to each player one-on-one and see if their attitude/behavior changes or to see if they slip up in direct discussion as opposed to forum discussion.

Unvote: Albert B. Rampage
, I'll have to give this a think. I'll prolly have more questions.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1351 (isolation #28) » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:20 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Ya, questions.

1.) Why tell Yos2 to "not have meetings" when you could have just said "don't let people direct Jack for you" / "don't give information to somebody in isolation so that we're forced to trust their word in the case you die"? Your method seems unnecessarily roundabout.

2.) Why did you make the comment of "if you die I'll look town"?

3.) Do you currently think there was a hack, or do you think it was faked?
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1355 (isolation #29) » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:25 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

ABR wrote:Petrom, I understand your disbelief of my statement, but I think the one thing that I can say that would convince you, is that Yosarian did that very thing. He trusted Kenetic, and sent Jack EXACTLY where Kenetic told him to, without thinking, without a second opinion, nothing. When I asked Yosarian about this, he simply replied "meh I had a town read of Kenetic at the time". This makes me trust Kenetic more, in exchange for credibility points from Yos.
Yos2, did this happen? You sent Jack where Kinetic asked? What Hour? Was this when Jack was ambushed, or did nothing happen?

Sorry I have to keep asking these questions everybody but me seems to know the answers to, but I don't have a full grasp on everything that's happened yet.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1365 (isolation #30) » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:37 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

:( *sigh* I'm already much less sure about ABR. I
can
see where he's coming from, and his fears about scum manipulation of the Director role seem legitimate.

I think we have a little less than three real-time hours until deadline, and I plan to be a near a computer for all of that time. Feel free to ask me questions, if there are any.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1387 (isolation #31) » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:49 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Yossy, I would really like to talk with you in the office. Been pestering Pooks, and found out some stuff that I want to run by you.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1391 (isolation #32) » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:57 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Of that which I'm comfortable with everybody knowing:

Pooky has clarified that he personally determined the location of the nuke - not the scum. He also clarified that it could be at a place like Foggy Bottom - one of the 'non-buildings' on the map. So there are more than 23 possible places for the nuke.

We don't know if a NPC or an actual player sniped (and Pooky did use this term) Jack. But we don't know what the health/luck/strength do, but that keeping them high is in our interests, which is obvious enough.

Also, for whatever role gets the 'questions to mod', it will only take the cryptographer the 1 hour to encrypt
everything
that occurred during that hour of watching. So anything a player asked to mod could be decrypted.

Other stuff I'm running by Yos.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1434 (isolation #33) » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:22 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Trying to get a post in before lynch scene, since I was just notified by Yos that UA hammered.

Given the choice between FA and Guardian, I would have voted FA. As noted earlier, I haven't caught any malicious vibes from what Guardian has said - the only thing I don't 'like' about him is that he is annoying me, which is not really an indicator of scumminess.

FA I have very little read on - I won't bother to guess at what his alignment will be in the lynch scene, because it looks like a coin-flip from my position.

I think ABR has done some very weird things, and I didn't really understand why he would have done them - but he answered the questions fairly quickly once he got here, and actually had reasonable (albeit what I consider to be not optimally made) arguments for why he said a few of the things he's said which had me confused.

So basically, I would likely have voted FA had I voted before somebody was hammered.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1439 (isolation #34) » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:27 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Guardian wrote:Curious -- haven't you two talked for like... hours and hours upon end? What have you talked about?
If Yos2 wants to reveal that, he is more than free to tell you. Until that time, I consider it classified.

Have you asked anybody
else
what they talked about in Yos2's office, by the way?
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1459 (isolation #35) » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:56 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Damn.

Okay - what's the scoop on the MCI Center, OTM? Catch us a nuke?
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1461 (isolation #36) » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:40 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Actually, I'm going to skip the pretense.

OTM claimed he was going to be at the MCI Center this Hour, to make sure it doesn't have a nuke. But he is not there. I think he is scum, so I'm gonna try to kill him. If I die or am otherwise diverted, I would suggest you guys use that information immediately.

Operation Smithsonian is go! To the jellymobile!
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1465 (isolation #37) » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:41 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Words really cannot express my anger and disappointment at the moment, and I am really not much in the mood for talking.

My role can track people "outside" so long as I know where they are. I talked with Yos and decided that instead of bodyguarding and not getting any information, I would place a tracking device on Off the Mark, since I knew he would be at the MCI Center (or if he wasn't there, I would know he was lying about that). I immediately received a result that he went to the Smithsonian, even though he said in-thread that he would be spending another hour to investigate the MCI Center.

My role can also assassinate people - again, so long as I know that person's location. I obviously knew that he was at the Smithsonian due to my tracking device. After talking with Pooks, if I wanted to kill him, I had two options - wait outside with until he emerged, or to walk in with a silenced gun and try to kill him, which could have failed if he (paraphrasing) saw me approaching or the terrorists occupied the building and intercepted.

What clearly
must
have happened was OTM investigated the MCI Center during Hour 8, and queued up to Pooky in advance that he was going to move to the Smithsonian for Hour 9. And of course, I had no
freaking clue
we could queue up our actions like that, since naturally, there is no mention of this in the thread whatsoever.

So I've probably single-handedly screwed over the town in this game, and I honestly feel like a complete idiot and I feel like doing things I'm not sure have words. I apologize, and I will completely understand if you take this opportunity to kill me.

There is another Field Agent in the game, so he can assassinate me immediately by coming to the Smithsonian this Hour should you choose to do so. Until then I'll await further instructions. :cry:
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1467 (isolation #38) » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:57 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Ibby, of course I'm thinking. The town can't lynch again until Hour 11, and the scum can't kill again until Hour 12 (unless they use the assassination ability, clearly).

There are now 8 people alive.

Lynch Hour 11 => 7 Alive
Mafia Kill Hour 12 => 6 Alive

If there are 3 scum and we don't lynch scum in Hour 11, town will lose. And during that time, the town will only have had one more death they directed.

If the town assassinates me, you will
still
have the Hour 11 lynch before the scum can kill - and I will no longer be constantly alive for everybody to worry about, because I can totally understand what a freaking idiot / scum I must look like at the moment. In other words, with 8 alive, this assassinating me is akin to No-Lynching in a regular game and letting the scum zap the town down to 7 players. The difference is the town would be directing the kill that gets them down to 7 players, and not the scum.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1469 (isolation #39) » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:57 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

I suppose I can at least explain my frame of mind a little bit better, since I imagine I'll be asked as much.

Firstly. Since the scum had
just
killed, I figured it would be better to do something productive for one hour, and
then
begin bodyguarding Spambot, seeing as he's the Cryptologist. I could only track/bug people who were outside - and this meant I had a choice between OTM and (I think) Kinetic, the other two Field Agents at the time. I pretty much chose OTM because he stated he was already at the MCI Center, as well as the fact that he would be remaining there. I saw the potential for catching scum almost immediately - if he was
not
at the MCI Center, I was know he was lying, and if he moved anywhere from the MCI Center, I would know he was lying [of course this second assumption turned out to be wrong].

The kicker was that when I listed (what I thought) to be the possible locations for the nuke, I did not list the Smithsonian - although in retrospect it is probably "#15 The National Museum of National History". Also, OTM did not correct me that the Smithsonian needed to be on the list. So when I received the information that he was going to the Smithsonian, presumably against what he claimed to be doing in-thread, as
well
as the fact that he was apparently (I had thought) going somewhere I had not even put on my
list
and he said nothing to contradict me, I was absolutely sure he was scum.

Also, a note before I forget: tracking devices and bugs work for the
entire
game. If I had done something different this hour, like bodyguarding, I would still have gotten the tracking information on OTM for the next hour.

So then I obviously had a dilemma - do I wait outside for him to come out, or do I walk in myself and assassinate him? Since I had already told Yos2 much of my above plan about seeing if I could possibly catch OTM stepping out of line. Although I liked my discussions with Yos2 -- and in fact I PM'd him that I would be going to Smithsonian in case nobody was told locations, although my "Operation Smithsonian!" I figured would make it obvious -- I did have to worry about the fact that I know there are ways to immediately kill me since at the very least, Yos2 would know I was at the MCI Center during Hour 8, and could have sent a kill or whatever on me. Further, I was not told if OTM was alerted that he had been bugged.

There was also the possibility that if I claimed in-thread that I planned on killing OTM and was waiting for a response, that OTM could simply stay in the Smithsonian and not come out - thereby forcing me to follow him inside, but on the caveat that he would
expect
me coming inside and I imagine he could have killed me first (although Pooky has not really clarified that). I didn't want to sit around with my information about somebody I was sure was scum, so I figured I would shoot first so that there was no way I could be thwarted (notable exceptions: if he 'saw me coming' or if the room was 'full of terrorists' I believe I could have failed, which is why I wanted special note of the fact that it was in the Smithsonian), and I could explain my reasoning later and the town would be in a much better position.

So ya, that pretty much explains it. I thought I was assassinating essentially confirmed scum. =/
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1483 (isolation #40) » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:43 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Guardian, you say you thought OTM was 'guaranteed town', but that doesn't match your thoughts throughout the game.

Granted, you start off the game with that sentiment:
Guardian, Jun 18, 10:50 pm wrote:I buy that Albert and OTM are town. Albert, do you feel up for director? I would be OK with it ending up being you.
Guardian, Jun 18, 10:53 pm wrote:This is pretty sweet, I'm almost certain that YB, Korran, Albert, and OTM are town. This game should end up with a win >_>. And me, fwiw.
Guardian, Jun 19, 8:25 am wrote:UA, Albert, and OTM seem like they've got to be town to me though. Albert I think would do well as director, why not make someone we are almost sure is town director?
Etc, etc, you say OTM should be Crypto.

But inexplicably (and I pointed this out on my read of the game), when you list your feelings on everybody in the town, we suddenly get:
Guardian, Jun 25, 2:15 am wrote:I'll provide a "LoT" (list of trust), purely based on gut feeling:

knows what he's doing, and is probably town
:
UltimaAvalon
CrashTextDummie
Guardian

doesn't know what he's doing, but is probably town
:
Albert B. Rampage
Korran
YogurtBandit

in the middle/undecided
:
Spambot
Eyceking
Yosarian2 (but doesn't matter for this, really)
Xdaamno
ChannelDelibird

don't trust
:
Off the Mark
High-lighted for emphasis. I still don't understand this switch (nor your sudden trust in CTD, which I also pointed out).
Guardian, Jun 28, 12:59 am wrote:OTM, do you have anything to say in response to my accusation? It looked to me like you were pushing for my election so you could be crypto.
Guardian, Jun 28, 1:06 am wrote:Why do you trust OTM the most of all the players?
Guardian, Jun 29, 11:07 am wrote:OTM could be town too, maybe I was overreacting...
Guardian, Jun 30, 10:44 am wrote:I've said why you might be scum. And if you're going to ask for it...

vote: OTM
Guardian, Jun 30, 7:07 pm wrote:I am still happy with my vote on OTM though, for reasons previously stated.
Guardian, Jul 10, 12:03 pm wrote:I still owe this game a re-read, but even though I am suspicious of you both, I want to hear from spambot, and OTM is not a priority right now.

unvote: OTM vote: Spambot
You do finally mention OTM again in context of whether you think he is scum, but it took you until yesterday:
Guardian, Jul 25, 7:41 am wrote:otm also likely town. dont lynch kinetic or otm or you suck.
Also, while I'm reading, at the end of yesterday you went from "not believing" the case against FA to suddenly telling the town they should "lynch scum – preferably FA". Was there something that changed your mind into thinking he was more likely to be scum during that time?
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1484 (isolation #41) » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:41 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Actually, scratch that last portion - you said that about ABR, not FA.

But regardless of your alignment, you
really
are a broken record. "I prefer FA as scum" and "I am town" are like your catch-phrases of yesterday. Did you find it necessary to continue saying those statements as many times as you did?
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1488 (isolation #42) » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:20 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Mind expanding on your reasoning for EyceKing?

1.) His post-count really has nothing to do with anything. Korran (just checked) had a "scant" 47 posts. CDB had less than that (likely even when combined with FA's post count), and Spambot (who is still in the game) has 60 posts. The reason EyceKing was
replaced
was because he wasn't posting, which would rather lessen his post-count. There really isn't a correlation here between post-count and scumminess, so would you mind explaining why you went out of your way to point that out?

2.) Saying EyceKing voted for "very little reason" is also incorrect - he placed the initial FoS on him, for the fact that YB threatened to not protect anybody. And then after YB responded (with such things as 'they can't kill yet'), which I would rather think is easy to interpret as having inside information. Of course, other people also voted YB during this time with little explanation of their own. I obviously can't answer for EyceKing, but I will answer for what I can: he
did
offer an explanation via his FoS, and only voted after seeing YB's response, which had already been commented on by the time EK returned to the thread.

3.) I very much disagree that EK was 'overjoyed' to be put into a new position. His posts were clearly wry and sarcastic. He mentioned how it was funny how essentially 'put pressure on himself'. And even though I usually have a broken sarcasm-o-meter, it's pretty clear he's not enthralled by the position switching. Also, he was made a FBI Liaison, not a Field Agent in the switch - he was only made a Field Agent after the manual reshuffling.

Furthermore, do you think it's necessary to "show remorse" when something bad happens to the town? There
are
players who just suck it up and deal with it. Personally, I think it's a null tell - scum love being able to say stuff like "Oh no, we lost the Cop!" because they are clearly so in-tune with the disappointment and heartache of the town they just
must
be town. If you think a "lack of remorse" is now a scumtell, I want to hear you explain why, and show me an example of a game where it served as being true in the past.

So
which
short-comings are you referring to?
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1498 (isolation #43) » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:48 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

I quite liked Ibby's last post - not only because I'm considered 'most unlikely to be scum' (which would be something I would obviously like regardless of alignment), but the thought process in general looks pretty legitimate. I've read it probably five times by now and I haven't caught anything that looks particularly 'odd', and for such a large post that's a plus.

For the record, I'm also thinking Yos2 is probably pro-town - I must have talked to him about the game for somewhere around 4-5 hours in total, and the conversations have been generally smooth, and I haven't felt any evil emanating from him or anything (though I'm not sure if I should expect to read Yos that easily). His suggestions and thought processes (since I've gotten to see some of it as I told him more about what I've discovered from Pooks) has pretty much run down the same paths as mine, and he's never done anything remotely like slipping something that could be read from a scum perspective; it's always from a town perspective. Furthermore -- and this is complete WIFOM -- if Yos2 were scum I would expect much worse things to have happened in the game, but I will not go into detail on those possibilities since I see no interest in giving scum strategies.

I'm interested that UA has skipped the most important questions in my response post to him. Namely:

1.) There really isn't a correlation here between post-count and scumminess, so would you mind explaining why you went out of your way to point that out?
2.) Furthermore, do you think it's necessary to "show remorse" when something bad happens to the town?

You're more than free to comment that you think EK had a low post count, or that he didn't show what you feel is 'proper' remorse, but unless you can convince me that either of these actions are in any way 'scummy', your reasons look almost thrown-together as if you came up with them backwards - i.e. you wanted to say you found me scummy, so you looked for things you could say about EyceKing and then tried to turn them into 'scumtells'.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1500 (isolation #44) » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:48 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Oooooh, "gut". So you figured you'd just toss some stuff together and try to call me scummy instead of simply saying "I suspect PJ/EK on gut", and that nobody would notice? And by doing so make it appear like you actually had something 'concrete' on me when in fact you did not?

FoS: UltimaAvalon
. It looks to me like you just got your hand caught in the cookie jar. Don't let me see you do it again.

But while I'm asking questions, here's a fun question: who do you think has gotten the least scrutiny in the game? The second least? The third least?

Also, I highly suggest you not try to characterize this discussion as "poor, lowly UltimaAvalon versus Almighty Mafia God PJ", as you seem to be implying here:
UA wrote:...I'm not the sort of person who ignores his gut, or backs down when opposed by someone who's much better at Mafia than I.
Because this isn't a question of whether or not you will "back down" against "someone who is 'much' better at Mafia than you", it's a question of whether you have anything to back you
up
- and specifically, whether or not you fabricated 'scumtells'. I think there are a number of reasons why somebody could suspect me, but none of yours seem particularly reasonable at the moment.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1510 (isolation #45) » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:40 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Guardian seems to be trying to say what he thinks the town wants to hear. My thoughts on him are almost completely akin to Ibaesha - I think objectively he is scummy. At the very least, I think his play is less than spectacular. His suggestions generally seem a little off, and his "suspicions" make no sense. I'm getting quite tired of his "I'm suspicious of the experienced players because I don't want to lose to them", because that's a freaking stupid way to think. You lose just the same if you lose to "inexperienced" scum.

But the fact that everybody and their mother is willing to vote for him tells me that regardless of his alignment, the scum are saying they want him lynched. Which means he is either townie lynchbait, or he is scum whose buddies are more than willing to bus him.

I do think a lynch in Hour 11 is the best Hour for lynching, by the by. I won't go into detail.

I will have it noted, however, that keeping information which helps the town "hidden" right now could quite possibly the stupidest thing to do possible. When the town is so close to LyLo, it doesn't help the town if you can help narrow down suspects to lynch scum and fail to do so - because once the town loses, your information is completely useless.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1515 (isolation #46) » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:34 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

ABR wrote:The mafia withheld their kill for several hours,
thinking it would be best to keep one
in case they were unable to stop an investigation.
Come again? Are you implying that the mafia have a sent amount of kills they can make? If so, where did you happen to come by this information? If not, please explain what you mean here.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1516 (isolation #47) » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:40 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

Guardian wrote:I am not trying to say what the town wants to hear, and I don't understand where you are getting that notion from. My opinions on the lynches? Or me putting forth the game-theory that I have?
My point is you seem to be parroting without saying so (to parrot what others have said). I can't tell from reading your posts whether or not you actually
think
Yos2 is scum - you seem to be walking a fine line, trying to stick your feet in both the "Yos is scum" and "Yos is town" doors. You keep talking about how you're going to reread, and I'm not sure it actually happens. I think this
is
a scumtell, by the way - as a reference, look up Stikey on Most Mountainousest Mafia. He continually talked about how he needed to reread the game (such that it looked like he was always busy trying to help the town) when he pretty much continually 'never got around to it'. But by assuring us that you're going to get right on it, you are telling us what we
want
to hear. Lately there has been some suspicion of Spambot, and at the end of your return post you talk about how you "think Spambot is scum", and I can't even recall if you've held that position prior to now. It feels like your comments on the game have largely to do with what other people say they are already thinking.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1519 (isolation #48) » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:44 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

UltimaAvalon wrote: And I've noticed you seem to be hanging on to these things you call 'scumtells', and use them as a shield. Like no attacks work unless they are the proper and agreed upon 'scumtells'. Thats why I don't use em. Any one of them could probably be a towntell under the right circumstances. That and it just adds another excuse to metagame, which I don't care much for.
This is quite wrong. Things don't need to be "scumtells" in order for you to think somebody is scum. But if you think something is scummy, I
do
expect you to say
why
you think it is scummy.

I could very well make a comment like "UltimaAvalon tends to use the letter 'y' in his posts far more often than the average poster, and
I
think that is scummy", but unless I
explain
why I think it is scummy - or
more likely to come from scum
, my statement is completely useless.

Unless you explain to me why you think having a low post count is
(especially when that person is replaced, which would naturally decrease their post count), and why you think having a "lack of remorse" is
(especially on the caveat that I'm
positive
you have seen plenty of scum bemoan town deaths and such), your 'reasons' are unintelligible to me.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1521 (isolation #49) » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:48 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

If Spambot
is
town, then if Ibaesha is also town, her investigation would show he was innocent, isn't that correct?
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1523 (isolation #50) » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:53 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

You're not getting the point here.

1.) If Ibaesha is town and Spambot is town, her investigation on Spambot will show up town unless Kinetic messed with the results.
2.) If Ibaesha is town and Spambot is scum, then Kinetic necessarily messed with the results unless there's a Godfather mechanic (which would be
absolutely disgusting
)
3.) If Ibaesha is scum and Spambot is town, then why not simply claim to have a guilty investigation on Spambot, especially with the sudden suspicions on Spambot?

4.) If Ibaesha is scum and Spambot is scum, then her action makes sense.

Basically, your theory requires both Spambot and Ibaesha to be scum.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1525 (isolation #51) » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:56 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

Furthermore, if you
do
think that both Spambot and Ibaesha, why did you choose to vote Ibaesha over Spambot?

In fact, voting Spambot would probably make more sense - that way, if
either
Ibaesha or Kinetic falsified results, but you just don't know which one, then Spambot would be scum in either scenario [Ibaesha-Spambot v Kinetic-Spambot], in which case your vote would logically go to Spambot.

Can you explain?
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1527 (isolation #52) » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:58 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

Albert B. Rampage wrote:3) Because, very simply, we will have her head when we lynch Spambot and he is found town. But if we kill Guardian, she cannot be held responsible.
If you think there are 3 scum, then "responsibility" doesn't matter whatsoever. No matter who we lynch, if we lynch incorrectly, we are brought down to seven people. Then the scum will kill again Hour 12, and we will brought down to 6 players, and the town will lose.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1529 (isolation #53) » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:01 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

Except FBI Actions take
four hours
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1531 (isolation #54) » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:03 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

Except assassinations only work
if somebody is "outside"
, and not only that, you have to know
their exact location
. Although I'm not sure I should be telling you that to begin with.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1533 (isolation #55) » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:06 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

We can ask him to send somebody outside, yes - but regardless of that person's alignment, they would
not
tell us their
, which is a requirement to conduct an assassination.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1535 (isolation #56) » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:09 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

:roll:

And your questions about exactly when EyceKing's (my) White Hour Liaison action resolved directly before the switching "just coincides too closely" for me as well.

Now that you've conceded that it doesn't matter who the scum gets us to lynch - i.e. if we lynch wrong we essentially lose - do you think Spambot would be scum with Ibaesha or not?
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1537 (isolation #57) » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:10 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

Also, Spambot, I see that you are logged onto mafiascum. I certainly hope you don't think about skipping this thread.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1540 (isolation #58) » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:14 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

ABR wrote:Thus we do not need to dissect the scum strategy at the present time, but at the moment where Ibaesha was promoted to sole investigator and sent her orders to Pooky, the moment Off the Mark was assassinated. That is our point of interest. It wouldn't have been possible for the terrorists to know we would be in ly-lo, so an innocent investigation would absolve their members of all responsibility.
Question for you:
when
do you think Ibaesha could (as scum) falsify results? Do you think she has to say what she wants the result to say the moment she asks for an "investigation" - or by the time she sends her "result" to be decrypted? If you think the scum can falsify results at any time (which makes the most intrinsic sense to me), then the scum would not
need
foresight of whether or not the town would be at LyLo at this time - they would only have to adapt to situations as they come up.

Furthermore, your theory assumes that the scum would know we would not lynch Guardian in Hour 9, so that he could be "set up" in the first place.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1543 (isolation #59) » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:17 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

Albert B. Rampage wrote:We lynched hour 8, we could not have lynched Guardian no matter what. I believe they must choose their result beforehand.
Explain why "we could not have lynched Guardian no matter what". It seemed more than possible to me - and in fact, highly probable.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1547 (isolation #60) » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:26 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

Albert B. Rampage wrote:
petroleumjelly wrote:
Albert B. Rampage wrote:We lynched hour 8, we could not have lynched Guardian no matter what. I believe they must choose their result beforehand.
Explain why "we could not have lynched Guardian no matter what". It seemed more than possible to me - and in fact, highly probable.
Because we lynched hour 8, we need 4 hours before we can lynch again.
You're right, we did lynch Hour 8, but we can lynch again Hour 11 (which is 3 Hours later, not 4). I was mistaken in saying Hour 9, but the point holds the same.

Ibaesha would have had to send in her target Hour 6/7 (I don't fully understand how Hours work). At the time, should could not know if Guardian was going to be lynched or not. If he was lynched, then the investigation could not possibly have been done to "set him up".
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1555 (isolation #61) » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:37 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

Albert B. Rampage wrote:True. Looking closely, though, nobody was pushing for a Guardian bandwagon. Everyone was trying to get
me
lynched, and then they settled for FA.
This is actually pretty incorrect. Guardian, at one point, had the following votes:

1.) Off the Mark
2.) Kinetic
3.) Frozen Atlantic
4.) Spambot
5.) Ultima Avalon

And this was all at one time, when it took 6 to lynch. I honestly thought Guardian was going to be lynched during Hour 8 - to voice my displeasure, at the time, I voted for you (ABR), and the wagon suddenly turned onto FA.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1557 (isolation #62) » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:41 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

I'll find the votes and link each one of them for my own amusement. Apparently you don't know this yet, but I'm the type of player who records votes and unvotes in my notes, so telling me I'm wrong is just
not
going to cut it.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1561 (isolation #63) » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:04 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

1.) Post 863 by Yos2. Vote #1.
2.)
Post 880 by Off the Mark. He actually takes it off in Post 895, but my notes had this has leaving Guardian with [1] vote, which actually from Yos2. OTM voted and unvoted Guardian twice, for the record.
3.) Post 949 by Kinetic. vote #2.
4.) Post 1006 by Frozen Atlantic. Vote #3. By the way, would you mind explaining why this post was "scummy as Hell", and your subsequent FA vote in the very next post?
5.) Post 1069, Kinetic unvotes, back to 2 votes, but he revotes in in Post 1131, back to 3 votes.
6.) Post 1141 by Spambot is vote #4.
7.) Post 1291 by UltimaAvalon is vote #5, putting Guardian at Lynch -1.

After this Guardian goes on a spamming spree, people follow me onto you, then it swings back to FA.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1562 (isolation #64) » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:05 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

I do, however, agree that this game sucks.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1612 (isolation #65) » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:13 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Guardian is really being quite the nuisance. I'm almost of a mind to hammer you just so, at the very least, I can say after the game is done that I helped lynch you and use that as a warning against equally annoying play in other games.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1672 (isolation #66) » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:56 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Vote: UltimaAvalon

FoS: Kinetic

Both of your play is looking like scum who is doing whatever they can to get a hammer down. Like you can just
taste
how close you are to victory, but aren't able to get that final vote, except you stupidly make this comment:
UA wrote:Guardian is scum. Albert is scum. Either Ibby or PJ is scum.
Seeing as you're going to need one of our votes, calling us scum isn't going to convince me to vote with you. I am 90% certain there is
at least
one scum on the Guardian wagon,
regardless
of his alignment. The votes I like the very least come from UA and Kinetic, and out of those two players, I think UA is by far the likelier scum, especially after I feel he tried to fabricate reasons for calling me scummy earlier in the game, and his recent usage of the "I guess the late-comers
are
town" after OTM came up town.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1698 (isolation #67) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:25 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

The lack of votes on UA confirms to me he is scum.

DIESUCKDIE. He is definitely trying to do everything in his power to get a lynch. And as WIFOM as it is, as scum, I'm pretty sure I would
know
when it's time to freaking bus a scum partner. The reason I'm not voting Guardian right now is because I am
certain
scum are on the wagon, but I am
uncertain
about Guardian's alignment.

UA has been using whatever excuse he needs to vote just about anybody. The Hour 8 lynch is particularly telling - he puts Guardian at lynch -1, then switches to ABR when that wagon starts picking up. When it fails, he hammers FA. Now he's trying to finish off Guardian again.

The problem with the FA wagon was that everybody was willing to vote him. The problem with the Guardian wagon is that everybody was willing to vote him (which in turn has made me unwilling to vote him). Everything about UA's recent posts read like scum to me.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1699 (isolation #68) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:27 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

In other words, he's trying to show unconcern of the votes on him, and to shrug them off, while he is still pushing for the Guardian hammer. People not switching their votes to UA are highly suspect.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1701 (isolation #69) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:46 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

And as much as I hate to triple post, I should make this clear:

1.) If Guardian is scum, I think UltimaAvalon is scum. His characterization of the wagon looks completely wrong - he is trying to imply everybody
not
voting Guardian is therefore scum with Guardian. This is the perfect position to take as scum (and a
terrible
position to take as town). In this manner, if he successfully buses Guardian, he will have set himself up with town targets to pursue for the next lynch.

Also, Guardian's odd refusal to vote for UA - when up until this point he has been willing to vote anybody who is not himself - makes perfect sense as a scum connection.

2.) If Guardian is town, I
still
think UA is scum. His posts feel like a vampire hovering a virgin neck, except he has to convince the neck to rise
just a little higher
before he can bite it.

Scum scum scummity scum.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1702 (isolation #70) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:48 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

Response to Guardian:

I honestly don't care about your preference of who
you
want to lynch. You are still quite possible to be scum from my perspective, so I have no qualms about ignoring your wishes.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1705 (isolation #71) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:52 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

If you're talking about this question:
Guardian wrote:PJ, Ibby, Albert, ANY suggestions on what I be doing re: this game right now, or are you just happy with me sitting here?
Then
FoS: Guardian
. You just posted it - Ibby and Albert can't have "failed" to answer it if they haven't been around during the last
six minutes
to answer it. I pretty much haven't been reading your posts in general because it's all spam from my perspective, and I'm sure it boils down to "Please God don't lynch me!".

But I won't answer that question - it's not my job to tell you how to play, unless I
make
it my job.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1707 (isolation #72) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:01 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

Why should I give somebody who I think might be scum advice on how to not look scummy?
That's
bullshit.

And as I
just said
, I haven't been reading your posts because
to me
they are just an annoyance at the moment, so I have
not
noted whether or not you have asked that question before.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1709 (isolation #73) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:24 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

Last response. You're just wasting my time at this point.

I don't care what you do. I will probably find your posts an annoyance for the remainder of the game (however long that is), because I've had to read 60-something pages of them and they all read to me "I am town", "I am town", "I am town", and as I have previously mentioned, I find that annoying. The fact that you made a post after that repeating that very phrase multiple times has pretty much super-glued yourself to my "annoying vision".

I don't
care
about your perspective right now. I care about
my
perspective. If you're town, I have no interest in telling you how to not look scummy - that's something best saved for after-game discussion. If you're scum (which is certainly a possibility), I have absolutely no reason to tell you anything.

If you've asked the question
before
the one I FoS'd you for, then the FoS clearly does not carry over. It's that simple.

In fact, I'm just going to make an ultimatum. If you mention the word "bullshit" or any equivalent of the word and relate it to my play, I will lynch you on principle.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1712 (isolation #74) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:11 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Seriously <3 Ibs. Where have you been all my life?
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1718 (isolation #75) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:26 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

"Look, mumsy, it's a squirming scum!"
"Keep walking and don't make eye contact."
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1723 (isolation #76) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:40 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Unvote: UltimaAvalon
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1724 (isolation #77) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Fudge.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1728 (isolation #78) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:47 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

The whole Spambot-Kinetic-Guardian show has already gotten old. Stop your scum-distancing. I'm going to see if I can find a way to kill the three of you once I get Pooky to log onto AIM.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1733 (isolation #79) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:07 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Also, in the event the town actually has a way out of this:

Spambot and Kinetic were both watching the thread, so it's 100% guaranteed they planned that quicklynch. They are both scum - their distancing is completely useless. Guardian has been logging on/off AIM all day, probably to tell his scum-partners to hurry up and get on and quicklynch.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1735 (isolation #80) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:19 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Don't bother. The title says game is over.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”