Post by Orbiting »

Clue Mafia Status Post

The Guests:

Alive:
(bold have confirmed)
BigAl

Mr. Flay

Dead:

TSAGod, Monsieur Brunette, town. Lynched, Day One.

BabyJesus, Miss Peach, town. Lynched, Day Two.

Fuldu, Professor Plum, town. Murdered, Night Two.

Tamuz, Mrs. White, scum. Lynched, Day Three.

Bamboomancer, Mrs. Peacock, doctor. Murdered, Night Three.

Masterchief (replaces elvis_knits), Madame Rose, town. Lynched, Day Four.

kops, Reverend Green, scum. Executed, Night Four.

EmpTyger (replaces MeMe), Sgt. Grey, scum. Lynched Day Five.

The Rooms:

Available:

The Study
The Hall
The Kitchen
The Dining Room
The Lounge

Full of Dead People:

The Ballroom - Mr. Boddy, with the knife, TSAGod, with the rope
The Conservatory - BabyJesus, with the lead pipe
The Billiard Room - Fuldu, with the candlestick, Tamuz, with the wrench
The Library - Bamboomancer, with the revolver. Masterchief, with the poison.
Outside the Library - kops, shot.
Outside the Library - EmpTyger, with the horseshoe.
Last edited by Orbiting on Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:18 am, edited 26 times in total.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (isolation #1) » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:05 pm

Post by Orbiting »

The Rules

Please actually read the rules, even if you think you already know the rules, as there are some important bits in them about how this game will work.

The Rules:
Votes must be in
bold
. If you do not bold your vote, it will not be counted.

Please be attentive and unvote, if necessary, before casting a new vote. This is not required, but I’d appreciate it.

Lynches will require a simple majority of votes. Once a player has reached the necessary majority, his pleas are useless and any attempts to unvote will be unheeded. You may vote: no lynch – majority votes of this kind are necessary to end the day without a death. Lack of movement in the game may result in a lynching deadline. If a lynching deadline is imposed, the player with the most votes at the deadline time will be lynched. If no players have any votes at the time the deadline expires, there will be no lynch.

The game is not to be discussed outside of the thread unless your role specifically states that you may do so.

There are only two factions in this game: scum and town. If your role PM said you were scum, you win with the scum. If your role PM identified you as anything else, you win with the town.

Once your death scene has been posted, you’re dead. A single uninformative ghost-post (such as "Go town" or "You all suck" or "Vive le revolution", that sort of thing) is acceptable, but not necessary.

Don’t edit/delete previously submitted posts. Don't post invisibly or any of that sort of thing. If you feel that you must encode secret messages in the text, please do so in a clever manner. Also, as posts are meant to be read, please don't post in extremely small text. I can't read it and it makes me cranky.

Don’t quote any PMs from me, either completely or in part.

If you have a night choice to make, it is due by the posted deadline.
Everyone in this game has a night choice
, even if it is just to choose a room. If you do not choose a room, I will assume that you are staying in the room you are currently in. If you have never chosen a room, I will randomly assign you to one. All players will choose their own rooms individually, although if your role allows you to speak outside the thread, you may, of course, deliberately decide to go to the same room.

Once a murder (nightkill) has been committed in a room, that room is off-limits for further choices.
(Seriously. Do you want to spend the night in a room with a dead guy? Because I don't.) The first post will contain a list of available rooms, and you will also be reminded of them in the thread periodically.

If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period, please post a notice to that effect in the thread. Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.

Remember, it’s a game. It’s supposed to played. It’s supposed to be fun. Hope you enjoy the party.
Last edited by Orbiting on Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (isolation #2) » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:46 pm

Post by Orbiting »

You wake slowly, head thick and ringing. You blink, taking in your surroundings. This is not your home. Where are you?

Wait.

Party. There was a party last night. The invitation was elegant, promising enchanting times with the best of society. You arrived, dressed in your finest, at seven o'clock yesterday evening. When you arrived, you were given a false name, so that no one would know you by reputation. The address on the invitation read "Boddy Manor". That must be where you are now.

Wait.

Where are your clothes? You look around. The room is ornately furnished, and full of beautiful things, but your things are nowhere among them. There is a dressing gown tossed across the back of an antique chair. It is the same color as the color in the name you've been given. You think, fuzzily, "This Boddy fellow must have a lot of these parties."

And then, your reflections are shattered by the sound of screaming, somewhere in the house. A woman is screaming. You spring from the bed, as quickly as your hangover will allow, and throw on the dressing gown. You fling open the door, and run through the marble-floored halls, each step thundering in your brain.

At last, you arrive in the Ballroom. The other guests have gathered here as well, dishevelled in their dressing gowns, none looking any more well than you feel. But they are not the source of the screaming. You focus your attention on the piano, heart pounding. Next to the piano stands the maid, shrieking like a banshee and pointing downwards. You follow the line of her arm down to a pair of legs on the floor. The legs are attached to a body, Mr. Boddy, who is stone cold dead on the tiled floor, blood pooling out around him. A large kitchen knife protrudes from his back.

You move towards the body as a group. The maid breaks off her screaming, which improves the situation quite a bit from your perspective. She looks at each of you in turn, then gives a final shriek and flees the room. Somewhere along her path, a door slams, and she is gone. You look around at the rest of the guests. Someone here is a murderer.

Welcome to Clue Mafia. It is Day One. Mr. Boddy is dead. With ten guests alive, it will take 6 to lynch.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (isolation #3) » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:29 am

Post by Orbiting »

Everyone stands around aghast, pointing fingers wildly at the other guests. Time for a VOTE COUNT.

Mr. Flay - 3 (MeMe, BabyJesus, elvis_knits)
BabyJesus - 2 (Mr. Flay, Tamuz)
TSAGod - 2 (kops, BigAl)
kops - 1 (TSAGod)
elvis_knits - 1 (Bamboomancer)

Not Voting: Fuldu
It's better to be lucky than skilled, surely. However, it's a lot easier to be skilled twice than lucky twice.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34 (isolation #4) » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:53 am

Post by Orbiting »

As you're all standing around discussing butlers, joke votes, and Tim Curry's cinematic triumphs, the doorbell rings. You all rush from the ballroom to the front door, en masse. You crowd around the foyer in your brightly colored bathrobes, craning to see who's at the door. The door opens to reveal a girl dressed in a courier's uniform.

She smiles at you brightly. "I am your singing telegram," she sings, "and I bring to you a VOTE COUNT!"

Mr. Flay - 3 (MeMe, BabyJesus, elvis_knits)
elvis_knits - 2 (Bamboomancer, Mr. Flay)
TSAGod - 1 (BigAl)
MeMe - 1 (Tamuz)

Not voting: kops, Fuldu

You stare blankly at her, until, deflated, she leaves.
It's better to be lucky than skilled, surely. However, it's a lot easier to be skilled twice than lucky twice.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #52 (isolation #5) » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:21 am

Post by Orbiting »

BigAl, and those others wondering:

For purposes of gameplay, I am assuming that if a night kill occurs, that the next day you will all gather in that room to look for clues/argue/scream/point fingers, and most importantly, vote and lynch.
If no nightkill occurs, day will happen wherever the last body was found.

You will, therefore, not lose any room availability due to lynchings.

The rules text may not be clear on this, and I will amend to clarify.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #100 (isolation #6) » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:14 am

Post by Orbiting »

Official No Time For Flavor Text Vote Count:

Tamuz - 3 (BigAl, elvis_knits, Mr. Flay)
TSAGod - 1 (MeMe)
kops - 1 (BabyJesus)
BabyJesus - 1 (Tamuz)

Not voting: kops, Fuldu, TSAGod.

And now, back to work! :)
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #102 (isolation #7) » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Post by Orbiting »

Even More Officialer "At Home So Can Actually Read The Thread Without Fear of Boss" Vote Count
(which is my way of saying, yes, I did miss TSAGod's vote...)

kops - 2 (BabyJesus, TSAGod)
TSAGod - 2 (MeMe, kops)
BabyJesus - 1 (Tamuz)

Not Voting: Fuldu

And also, to clear up earlier stuff in the thread, the rules are correct with regard to number of factions in the game.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #126 (isolation #8) » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:28 am

Post by Orbiting »

Page 6, Still Day One Vote Count.

kops - 3 (BabyJesus, TSAGod, Fuldu)
TSAGod - 2 (MeMe, kops)
BabyJesus - 1 (Tamuz)

Let's sort this out, kids. I'm calling it a
Deadline: 3/22, end of day.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #129 (isolation #9) » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:50 am

Post by Orbiting »

MeMe (and others): Let's say midnight, MST (MafiaScum Time) on 3/23.
Last edited by Orbiting on Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #135 (isolation #10) » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:29 am

Post by Orbiting »

Further deadline information:
Sorry, I didn't realize you could change your times -- I suppose that when I set up my account either you couldn't do that, or I didn't. Fuldu's estimation of 7 p.m. EST on the 23rd is correct.

The order of the names on the vote count has no hidden meaning. People with most votes come before people with less votes, but other than that, it's random.

If there is a tie when the deadline hits, the player who accumulated the lynch votes fastest of the tied players will be lynched. But I really don't want to have to pull that level of detail, so it would be better if you guys could come to a conclusion before then. :)

Right up to the minute Vote Count

Tamuz - 4 (BigAl, elvis_knits, Mr. Flay, TSAGod)
kops - 2 (BabyJesus, Fuldu)
TSAGod - 2 (MeMe, kops)
BabyJesus - 1 (Tamuz)
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #171 (isolation #11) » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:35 am

Post by Orbiting »

Really Close to Deadline Vote Count

Tamuz - 3 (elvis_knits,TSAGod, BabyJesus) *
TSAGod - 3 (MeMe, kops, Flay)
kops - 2 (Fuldu, BigAl)

Not voting: Tamuz

* Tamuz is currently up on the block, as he received 3 votes before TSAGod received his 3 votes.

Deadline looms! Tick, tick. :)
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #172 (isolation #12) » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:37 am

Post by Orbiting »

Also, I'll be prodding Bamboomancer.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #187 (isolation #13) » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:22 pm

Post by Orbiting »

At last, the muttering and finger-pointing is at an end. The crowd gathers round in their multi-colored robes, and closes in on TSAGod. He chokes out some words in his defense. "Zut alors! You cannot mean... moi? Je suis.... comment on dit.... INNOCENT!"
There is a rope lying on the floor. With this rope, you can make short work of your chosen target.

TSAGod, (Monsieur Brunette, a townie), with the rope, in the ballroom.

Final Day One Vote Count:
TSAGod - 3 (MeMe, kops, Flay)*
kops - 3 (Fuldu, BigAl, elvis_knits)
Tamuz - 2 (TSAGod, BabyJesus)
Not voting: Tamuz

Night is falling. You have
hours from the time of this post to send in your night choices. You may not linger in the ballroom.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #188 (isolation #14) » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:02 am

Post by Orbiting »

As night fell, you chose your rooms and scurried off, looking for a good hiding place. It seems certain that while some of you were hiding, some were lying in wait. Nonetheless, the night passes uneventfully. There were no kills. Day two dawns in the Conservatory.

There are 9 players alive -- that's 5 to lynch.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #199 (isolation #15) » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 am

Post by Orbiting »

Re: kops and the possibility of a replacement, he did not ask to be replaced. Your last day period went on for rather longer than the period of time that he'll be gone, so I'm not inclined to give him the boot at this point. Of course, if you are all unwilling to wait, or if he does not return as promised, I will reconsider it.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #240 (isolation #16) » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:26 am

Post by Orbiting »

Noodling About Vote Count:

Bamboomancer: 2 (MeMe, Mr. Flay)

Not Voting: Fuldu, Bamboomancer, BigAl, kops, BabyJesus, Tamuz, elvis_knits
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #290 (isolation #17) » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:18 am

Post by Orbiting »

Supermagic post-morning-coffee vote count!

Wow, it was getting exciting in there for a minute. But now, it looks like we're at:

Baby Jesus - 2 (BigAl, Fuldu)
elvis_knits - 2 (Baby Jesus, Mr. Flay)

Not voting: Bamboomancer, elvis_knits, kops, MeMe, Tamuz.
[/b]
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #328 (isolation #18) » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:06 pm

Post by Orbiting »

Not-Very-Scummy Vote Count

Baby Jesus: 2 (BigAl, Fuldu)
elvis_knits: 2 (MeMe, Mr. Flay)
BigAl: 1 (BabyJesus)

Not so much the voting: Bamboomancer, elvis_knits, kops, Tamuz
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #360 (isolation #19) » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:25 am

Post by Orbiting »

As if by magic, Vote Count.

elvis_knits - 4 (BigAl, kops, MeMe, Mr. Flay)
BabyJesus - 1 (Fuldu)
Bamboomancer - 1 (BabyJesus)
BigAl - 1 (elvis_knits)

Not voting: Bamboomancer, Tamuz.

Reminder time: It's five to lynch.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #389 (isolation #20) » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:06 pm

Post by Orbiting »

Vote Count

Bamboomancer - 4 (BabyJesus, Bamboomancer, elvis_knits, Tamuz)
BabyJesus - 2 (Fuldu, Mr. Flay)
elvis_knits - 2 (kops, MeMe)

Not voting: Bamboomancer

*mod notes: 1) re: why we're in the conservatory instead of the ballroom. Mr. Boddy's death is flavor text, per the Clue board game. No nightkills have yet occurred in the actual mechanic of the game, so no player bodies have been found -- the assignment of the conservatory was more or less at random so that the game can proceed. There is no deep meaning to the choice, and there are no bodies hidden therein, if that's what you were getting at. That wouldn't be fair.
2) I apologize for not being as present in this game as I would have liked. Since the game began, I lost my job, my grandmother had a stroke, I started co-teaching a night class and running the pledge drive for my church, and now, I got a new job which is a lot more like real work than the old one. I'm trying to adjust to all this, and am making an effort to be here more often. In other words, yes, I suck, but I'm trying to stop. Thanks for your patience.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #416 (isolation #21) » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:35 am

Post by Orbiting »

I see that you are all very nice people, and I appreciate that. Nonetheless, as BabyJesus pointed out some time earlier, this day has gone on much too long.

Therefore,
New Deadline: 5 p.m. EDT, Wednesday May 3.

Good luck. :)
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #420 (isolation #22) » Tue May 02, 2006 1:43 am

Post by Orbiting »

New and Improved Vote Count:

Bamboomancer - 3 (BabyJesus, BigAl, Tamuz)
BabyJesus - 2 (Fuldu, Mr. Flay)
elvis_knits - 2 (kops, MeMe)

Not voting - Bamboomancer, elvis_knits.

Re: votes to lynch at deadline: if there is no lynch when deadline hits, the player with the most votes gets the lead pipe. If there is a tie, the player who accumulated zer votes earliest will be lynched.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #431 (isolation #23) » Thu May 04, 2006 3:36 am

Post by Orbiting »

The deadline comes. And then it goes again, making a whooshing sound as it passes.

The mob is fickle today -- first one, then another brightly-colored partygoer becomes the target of suspicion. At last, you circle around BabyJesus, fingers pointed, chanting "Not helpful! Not helpful!".

She puts her delicate, long-nailed hand to the collar of her peach-colored robe, and protests softly. "Ah don't know nothin' about killin' no townies!," she cries.

But this, too, is not helpful. The crowd closes in. Someone brandishes a lead pipe.

BabyJesus, Miss Peach, a townie, is dead

Send in your night choices! Dawn will come somewhere around 7 p.m. EST on Tuesday, May 9.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #432 (isolation #24) » Thu May 04, 2006 3:38 am

Post by Orbiting »

Also, for your night-moving pleasure, the following rooms are available:
The Library
The Study
The Hall
The Kitchen
The Billiard Room
The Dining Room
The Lounge

Happy Hiding!
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #433 (isolation #25) » Wed May 10, 2006 5:04 am

Post by Orbiting »

As night fell on Day Two, there was much scurrying as you all hurried to find a room, a room where you would be safe. You huddled in corners, perhaps sleeping fitfully, and certainly attempting to go to the restroom in groups.

As dawn neared, one thought was foremost in your minds. Had your vigilance protected you? You gather and search the rooms one by one. When you arrive in the Billiard Room, you find a horrible scene. Fuldu has been bashed about the head with a Candlestick and is quite, quite deceased. In his hand you find a curious book, a thesis of some sort, perhaps.

Fuldu, Professor Plum, a townie, is dead

Day three dawns. With seven left alive, it is but four to lynch.

Also, for the information of the remaining players, EmpTyger has replaced MeMe.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #443 (isolation #26) » Thu May 11, 2006 7:28 am

Post by Orbiting »

MeMe asked to be replaced in a number of her games due to a lack of available playtime. (In addition, she provided her own replacement, which is a practice I'll endorse!)
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #460 (isolation #27) » Mon May 15, 2006 10:00 am

Post by Orbiting »

Mr. Flay wrote:(unless we have a truly Bastard Mod).
Who, me? :wink:

DAY THREE VOTE COUNT:

Er. Nobody. And nothing. Just so you know.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #489 (isolation #28) » Fri May 19, 2006 10:39 am

Post by Orbiting »

Flay: As the mod, I can hardly discuss people's night choices. I don't know what you're expecting me to confirm.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #502 (isolation #29) » Mon May 22, 2006 2:12 am

Post by Orbiting »

Vote Count:

Tamuz: 3 (BigAl, EmpTyger, Mr. Flay)

Not voting: Bamboomancer, elvis_knits, kops, Tamuz

We're still at four to lynch.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #517 (isolation #30) » Thu May 25, 2006 11:14 am

Post by Orbiting »

*crickets*
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #523 (isolation #31) » Fri May 26, 2006 11:42 am

Post by Orbiting »

Final Vote Count:

Tamuz: 4 (Bamboomancer, BigAl, EmpTyger, Mr. Flay)

Not voting: elvis_knits, kops.

"Can't we just lynch somebody and go to sleep?" yawned BigAl. "We've been gunning for Tamuz all day!"

There are grumbles of assent. Finally, after long deliberation, Bamboomancer steps up. Someone hands him a Wrench, saying, "We've been waiting on you!"

He advances on Tamuz, who raises a hand to the neckline of her white robe. "You don't understand," she says, "my husbands, they all died of natural causes! I had nothing to do with any of this."

The lady doth protest too much, you think.

Tamuz, Mrs. White, a very scummy multiple widow, is dead.

Night moves please! A bit of extra time for the US holiday is in order. Please have all moves in by Wednesday, 5/31, noon eastern. Please check the room list in the first post for valid moves.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #524 (isolation #32) » Wed May 31, 2006 9:47 am

Post by Orbiting »

As night fell, all the remaining guests headed off to the rooms of their choice, whispering to themselves things like, "Follow the plan? Don't follow the plan? If I follow the plan, the scum will know where I am, so I clearly cannot follow the plan. If I don't follow the plan, the scum will know that nobody in their right minds would follow the plan, so they will know that nobody will be in the rooms they claimed, and will look somewhere else. Therefore, I clearly cannot not follow the plan. So it comes down to this: are the scum the sort of people who would look for me where I said I would be? How would I know?!? I don't even know who they are!" Or maybe they weren't whispering that. Maybe it was just the wind.

"Anyway. Regardless of all of that", said Bamboomancer to hirself as sie wandered into the Library, "I will be safe anywhere. Surely no one would have the audacity to commit a crime in front of Mrs. Peacock! Who would dare? The society papers would be full of their shame."

As far as it went, Mrs. Peacock was correct. No one would dare commit a crime in front of her. However, she hadn't considered what might go on behind her back. And indeed, just as she was saying those things and congratulating herself, a tiny, toylike revolver was being leveled at her back. The impact was anything but tiny. Bamboomancer/Mrs. Peacock had no time for further platitudes; she pitched forward into a heap on the floor and was silent.

Bamboomancer, Mrs. Peacock, a doctor, is dead. With five alive, it is three to lynch.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #554 (isolation #33) » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:27 pm

Post by Orbiting »

We interrupt this thread to announce that elvis_knits has been prodded to post, and stands to be replaced if she doesn't pop in soonly.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled murder and mayhem.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #556 (isolation #34) » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:21 am

Post by Orbiting »

EK having not been seen on the site since 5/22, I am looking for a replacement. The game should be able to continue v. soon.

Thanks for your patience.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #559 (isolation #35) » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:54 am

Post by Orbiting »

The remaining party guests sit back, trying to kill a little time, if you'll pardon the expression. elvis_knits, one of the few survivors had nipped up the to powder room some time ago, and never returned. Some half-hearted attempts at arguments were made, hoping that she would return soon, but the overall mood of the party could best be described as nervous. Finally, Mr. Flay suggests that someone go and have a look, see if she's okay, that sort of thing. You look at each other, trying to sort out who's most trustworthy to handle this mission, and above all, who's the right gender to be in the washroom with elvis_knits.

Just as a decision seemed about to occur, the door upstairs opens, and out walks Masterchief, in the same color robe elvis_knits had been wearing. You blink a bit, but then decide it's probably more polite to go on as if nothing had happened. And really, if you haven't got civility, what have you got?

Masterchief replaces elvis_knits. I am sending him a role PM right this second. Please give him some time to read the thread before you crash down upon him like a wave of ...er... lynch-happy scummers. Thanks!
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #566 (isolation #36) » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:04 am

Post by Orbiting »

At the moment, you are all in the Library. At nightfall, all living players will choose a new room to move to for the night phase. If there are any nightkills, the remaining players will convene in the room where the last nightkill took place to do the day phase. If there are no nightkills, I will randomly assign you a room to sit in during the day.

However, if town does not lynch wisely, the whole moving at night thing may be moot.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #580 (isolation #37) » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:55 am

Post by Orbiting »

It's probably fair to mention that Masterchief had a bad feeling about coming into this. The spirits were restless and the auras were icky, and she shouldn't have come here at all. Her psychic powers were dead on, as it were, but only up to a point. She didn't, for example, have any idea who to trust, and she didn't, for a more pertinent example, have any idea that the consoling cup of tea kops pressed into her hand after casting the final vote was full of poison.

Masterchief, Madame Rose, a townie, has been lynched. ***The game is still live.*** Please send your night choices by Tuesday, June 13, at noon.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #581 (isolation #38) » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:26 am

Post by Orbiting »

It was a short and surprising night. One by one, you left the Library seeking either 1) a safe haven, or 2) some innocent townies to murder, according to your kinds. But it was not to be like that, particularly. One of you was followed.

kops stepped out into the halls of Boddy Manor, murder on his mind. Vaguely, he wished he were Catholic, so that at the end of this, he could be absolved of his bloody deeds, but no matter. Clearing these sinners from the earth was the Lord's work.

Intently, he made his way towards his chosen room. A figure stepped out of the shadows. A derringer appeared from somewhere no derringer was likely. "You!," said kops, amazed. "What in God's name -- that's not a Clue weapon!" A flash and a bang, and any of kops' further questions would have to be answered by a higher authority.

In the morning, the remaining players search their rooms, and find no body. It is only later, when you expand your search to the rest of the house that you find Reverend Green dead on the floor in front of the Library.

kops, Rev. Green, a scummy scummy scum, is dead. It is Day Five, with three alive. That makes it two to lynch. Endgame on.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #603 (isolation #39) » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:17 am

Post by Orbiting »

The three remaining players look around for a weapon, any weapon. Someone has to die today... At last, BigAl discovers a horseshoe nailed handily above a door....

"A horseshoe?, " asks EmpTyger. "What kind of weapon is that?"

"Millions of Clue:Master Detective players have asked the same question, you scummy scum-type person," BigAl replied.

Then, there was a CLANG!, and EmpTyger was clever no more.

EmpTyger, Sgt. Grey, who was, as you all now know, scum, is lynched Day Five. Game over, town wins!

Mechanics post to come. Watch this space. Or, rather a space somewhere below this on the page.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #604 (isolation #40) » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:44 am

Post by Orbiting »

The Story of Clue Mafia:

I had this idea for a room-based mechanic set that would avoid issues like one player always getting killed or investigated Night One, etc. This was my test game, so I will describe the mechanic below, and I would love to get some feedback on how you thought it worked.

First off, the Clue theme. The Clue theme was ideal for what I wanted to do, because it had a small set of potential characters (any of which could potentially be scum), and a small set of rooms (each of which had a name). There are basically 10 suspect characters in the Clue universe (there are a few more, but they are variants of the main 10). In the game, one is chosen secretly and at random, to be the murderer. Here, I did the same thing. I randomly chose three characters to be scum roles, one to be a passive doc, and one to be a sort of hunter character with limited cop and vig abilities. I then randomly assigned roles to players.

Each night, the players were to choose a room. I mentally represented the nine rooms as slots in which one might stack checkers (because I tend to think in terms of board games). When a player sent a PM telling me what room he was going to, I added one checker to that room's stack. All moves were resolved chronologically in order of PM recieved. If you were a town-aligned player in a room, you were vulnerable to nightkill by scum if and only if you were the top checker in the stack.

If townie A were in the Library, and scum B came into the library, B would kill A. If, in another scenario, townie C was in the Billiard Room, and then townie D entered, townie C would be safe -- if scum E entered, E would kill D. For balance reasons, only the first scum to enter a room with an unprotected townie would get a kill. If the first person in a room were a scum, (which seemed unlikely, as scum would most likely take longer to send PMs, since they could talk at night), then the first townie to enter that room would be the targetable player.

The two town power roles could upset the dynamic a bit. The doctor role, which was assigned to the socialite Mrs. Peacock in this game, would protect everyone else in the room with him/her. But, s/he could not protect him/herself. If the doc was in the vulnerable spot at the top of the stack when a scum came in, the doc would die. This was how Bamboomancer was killed.

The hunter was primarily a limited cop -- s/he could make a choice each night either to go to a room and observe anything that happened there (which in this game would mean that s/he could see kills) or, s/he could choose, once, to follow a player and kill him. This was the only role in the game with an option other than choosing a room. This kill would take place outside the "rooms", in what would be the interstitial spaces on the Clue Board.

The rooms would be eliminated one by one, so that while in the beginning of the game, it would be possible for a great deal of spread and fewer interactions, with each day the chances of interactions at night would increase. This would keep the game from going on indefinitely.

This way of resolving actions makes the game somewhat more random, but also shifts the focus of skills needed more to a social engineering skillset. EmpTyger did a fantastic job of working a good scum strategy here, leading a discussion on room choice and orchestrating the townies' night moves. Well done, there.

Will answer any questions, and will also post summary of moves later. For now, have to run.
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #611 (isolation #41) » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:20 am

Post by Orbiting »

I will post up a complete list of moves probably this evening when I have time to write it all out -- for now, let me just say that the first night, scum didn't have a kill because they were not in the room with any townies.

That's why there were three scum in a ten-man game, too. The probability was that for at least one night, they would not choose a room where they could make a kill. They didn't have any more information at the beginning than the town did with regard to the mechanics. They did, of course, know who their scum-buddies were, but that was about it.

I probably could have axed kops' posts in question -- I thought they could both be interpreted in several different ways, though, so they stayed. In addition, I don't think I saw the last one until after everyone else did, anyway, so the damage there was done.

Question to those in the game: Would you play a setup like this again?

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”