Post by Occam »

vote: Occam

unvote

server crashes

unvote

vote: Monkeyman

unvote

vote: a small orange housecat

OK, so now that that's out of the way, I think we should move past the self-voting theory discussion (especially because it was in the RV stage and vollkan seems to have a self-voting meta (and ESPECIALLY ESPECIALLY because Monkey isn't even in the game)).

Now I'm just confused about where to start... everything for the past three pages has been tossed out the window with the monkey...
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #66 (isolation #1) » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:20 pm

Post by Occam »

btw fritz - your avatar = best band ever
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (isolation #2) » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:53 pm

Post by Occam »

Ok then. I can see meta is going to play a large role in this game. I've read a game with vollkan, who self-votes and defends it. Apparently forbidden votes for the mod at the start of each game. So my question is - what am I going to be able to get away with? I don't have a developed meta on this site - so would voting the mod or myself (something I already did) be a scumtell? Are we going to forgive scumtells later in the game based on meta? I propose that we vote players for scumtells regardless of meta, in this game. However, I don't find self-voting or voting for the mod in the RV stage scummy. My point, though, is that out of all this discussion we've generated out of MM's misplaced argument, is that perhaps we should attempt to suspend meta this game? There are a number of experienced players here - it's going to be hard for you to toss that over your shoulder - but is it at least worth a try?
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #80 (isolation #3) » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:11 am

Post by Occam »

Yeah, I suppose Fonz is right that reactions are still worthwhile. But from what I read - and admittedly, I didn't read every word of every paragraph, because it seemed like it was pretty much just a huge policy disagreement that belonged in the MD Theory thread - it seemed like all the players involved had genuine points which they weren't afraid to backup. I didn't see either side coming out of the argument looking scummy.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #102 (isolation #4) » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:45 am

Post by Occam »

For all practical purposes, MM was a townie who was modkilled on page 4
Is this why the day ended?
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #104 (isolation #5) » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:13 am

Post by Occam »

That's what I figured. It didn't seem like the right time to use that ability for either alignment. We hadn't got into anything, really. We were still discussing whether or not MM's involvement in the game was worth anything... but that was about it. I don't see why someone would end the day at that point in time.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #107 (isolation #6) » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:10 pm

Post by Occam »

If it was a scum power it must have been a one-shot, or else it would be instant scum win. So we shouldn't have to worry about that happening again if it was scum that activated it.

If it was town, we should just ask that whoever did it not do it again, unless you have to, which would be unfortunate. Only 4 real life days passed between the start of the game and the end of day one. Fritz may be right about coming to a quicker consensus, but I don't think we should go into panic mode unless it happens again in three days. Like I said, I highly doubt that's a scum power.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #108 (isolation #7) » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:12 pm

Post by Occam »

EBWOP:
I wrote: Like I said, I highly doubt that's a scum power
with more than one shot
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #113 (isolation #8) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:29 am

Post by Occam »

OK...

I hate to say it but I think that's a good thing. What the heck was the deal with that?

It's kind of cool that Tornado controlled the storms though.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #116 (isolation #9) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by Occam »

I also noticed he self destructed 4 days into day 2, and day 1 lasted 4 days; I wonder if he had to choose each day, 4 days into it, to either end the day early, or self destruct?
I bet you're right on this Yos. That role seems terribly anti-town, so if he WAS forced to make a choice every 4 days he made the most pro-town move he could there. Thanks Sir T.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #123 (isolation #10) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:27 pm

Post by Occam »

The mod's description definitely makes it seem to me like it was Sir T doing the storming.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #146 (isolation #11) » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:56 am

Post by Occam »

Well I would say quicklynches are rarely protown, and when they are, it's most probably by luck. It's not something that is consistently protown, so I don't see where you're going with this - things that should be called "protown" are things that always or almost always are beneficial to the town. Things that are sometimes pro and sometimes antitown are neutral.
Seol wrote: I don't have a case on Yos, just a gut feeling.
Aww c'mon, you've been here since 2004, that's newbspeak.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #151 (isolation #12) » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:27 pm

Post by Occam »

Care to elaborate? Maybe I'm missing something but somehow that doesn't make sense to me as a reason...

@ Fonz - That's nice and all, that your gut has become more reliable to you over time - but why should anyone else trust it? That doesn't work as a valid reason or point of evidence for me.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #155 (isolation #13) » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:08 am

Post by Occam »

Fonz wrote: You are of course, correct that one player's gut isn't likely to convince another. Doesn't mean it's an invalid basis for a vote.
Right - so why should it count as validation for a vote? Why say that in-thread, where it's clearly not convincing evidence that your vote is OK? That's part of the reason to give reasons for votes, isn't it? To demonstrate that it's a justified vote? And to convince others that the person your voting for deserves their votes, too? Because you want scum lynched?
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #157 (isolation #14) » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:13 am

Post by Occam »

Yeah, but an experienced player with a strong gut feeling can sway newer players to vote with them on almost no basis at all. I think it's kind of an abuse of authority and experience, to be honest. It's a smart move for scum - though I don't suspect Seol in particular of being scum - but I still have a problem with it.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #159 (isolation #15) » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:27 pm

Post by Occam »

I don't consider it a normal or good scumhunting practice. Sorry if that offends you.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #161 (isolation #16) » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:45 pm

Post by Occam »

Fonz wrote: Riddle me this... which is more likely to end up with dead scum?

1. A nice, neatly-reasoned case against someone you don't actually think is scum.
2. A gut vote on someone who definitely feels like scum to you, but you're not yet able to articulate fully why you feel that way.
What about all the other options? Like a poorly reasoned case against someone you think is scum (which I believe listing a "gut feeling" as your primary reason is)? OR even a nice, neatly-reasoned case against someone you DO think is scum? Why would you bother making a case on someone you DON'T think is scum?

I'm not arguing that voting for someone isn't an OK thing to do - it happens all the time. I AM saying that listing "gut feeling" as your primary reason for a vote isn't OK because it doesn't help the town, for the reasons I cited.

But this is quickly becoming an "I'm right, you're wrong" theory discussion that belongs elsewhere - especially because I don't think Seol is scummy for it. I just don't find it a good practice, especially for an experienced player.

On the fritz issue - I haven't played enough with fritz to understand his meta. I don't think meta applies as much to a game where we don't know what's going on, though. I don't find his proposition overly scummy, but I do think that suggestion should have waited until it happened again - which, luckily, it didn't.

I want to get some real discussion going, and I generally think this is a good thing to do on day one: I'm a miller.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #163 (isolation #17) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:20 am

Post by Occam »

But I DO think it's scummy and underhanded of you to take this position. If you didn't think it scummy, why did you bring it up in the first place?
Hmm. That's weird. I didn't know disagreeing on theory made scum.

And do you even remember how I brought it up at this point? Here:
Occam wrote:Aww c'mon, you've been here since 2004, that's newbspeak.
Oh that's right, it was a joke! Ho ho ho!

I think fonz is looking for a reason to vote someone - and finding a bad one. I'm not sure why. I have not played with him before so I'm not sure if he's the type that gets into theory discussions, gets mad, and votes people, so if someone would help me out on that issue, I'd appreciate it.

I'm going to allow you to be right in thinking that you're right - because I still think this is a theory discussion which doesn't apply.
Fonz wrote: Lynch all claimed millers.
Policy lynches R bad.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #165 (isolation #18) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:09 am

Post by Occam »

It doesn't. But attacking someone else, over something that isn't scummy, is scummy.
Right, but that wasn't an "attack", unless you count jokes as an attack. If anything it was an insult, but I didn't even mean it that way, so, no.
Why lynching claimed millers specifically is necessary:

If millers were not policy-lynched, it becomes too good of a claim for scum. They essentially get immunity from being busted by a cop. Therefore, millers should not claim, and claimed millers should be lynched. It's a policy lynch because it's not based on the likelihood of the individual miller claimant being scum- but because it hurts towns, in general, to allow miller to become an acceptable claim.
I agree with this, but I also think that millers can be useful, and that they should always claim day 1. I think lynching the miller on day 2 is better than lynching the miller on day 1, though. It's a waste of a lynch because, by the odds, town is lynched more often than scum on day 1 - and lynching the miller on day 1 throws a whole bunch of shit into the fan. All the interactions on day one become less useful and potentially even confusing to the town when someone flips miller on a day one lynch. I will turn up guilty - then you'll look at all the people who interacted with me. As a miller, though, I'll potentially be implicating people who shouldn't be implicated. In my view that invalidates productiveness. And I know it's day 2 - but I'm calling this day one, because yesterday was almost entirely useless and ended without a lynch, so for all intents and purposes this is day one.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #166 (isolation #19) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:13 am

Post by Occam »

Also I guess I should mention that I didn't get a name, since both Rishi and Sir T had names. I'm a nameless miller, is what it says.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #168 (isolation #20) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:10 am

Post by Occam »

So, why wasn't this in your first post though?
Because then that's ALL discussion is about. I wasn't able to post until 60 posts into the game, just after MM had figured out he wasn't playing. I said:
Now I'm just confused about where to start... everything for the past three pages has been tossed out the window with the monkey...
...and I didn't think "I'm a miller" was a good place to start. I think it's a good way to get something back on track, but not a good starting point. And that's really what it would have been, a starting point - because we were back to ground zero after monkey got nuked.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #170 (isolation #21) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:37 am

Post by Occam »

RR wrote: Wait, so you're a death miller?
Actually, that's a good point. I forgot that millers don't show up as scum after death. So what I said up there doesn't count, but I still disagree with policy lynches.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #172 (isolation #22) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:15 pm

Post by Occam »

forbiddan wrote: Or does it just say "You're a miller, have fun?"
Basically this, it says I'm a nameless miller.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #174 (isolation #23) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:55 pm

Post by Occam »

Yeah, this one is quite like the one on the front page, but it says I'm a nameless miller who wants to be left alone, and appears shady though he's well-intentioned. I'm coming dangerously close to quoting the pm here so I think that's about all I should say. It doesn't specify anything about cop investigations or reveals on death, but I will ask the mod to make sure.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #178 (isolation #24) » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:25 am

Post by Occam »

seol wrote: Why did you claim?
I wrote:I want to get some real discussion going, and I generally think this is a good thing to do on day one: I'm a miller.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #182 (isolation #25) » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:17 am

Post by Occam »

what impact did you expect claiming to have? How did you expect it to benefit us? What negative consequences did you foresee, and how did you justify those as being worthwhile?
Well we're talking about something relevant to the game - which is a good thing. That was my intent, like I said. The risk involved is that there's little risk in lynching a claimed miller - I realize that - so in a way I'm risking a self-sacrifice. But exposing bullshit like the lynch all millers plan is worth it, even if it's not until tomorrow. Either way I didn't fully understand my role until now - I'm a standard miller, shows guilty as cop investigation, not on death.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #191 (isolation #26) » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:33 am

Post by Occam »

I
think
(but I don't know) that millers claiming on day one is generally agreed upon as the best move for them?
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #193 (isolation #27) » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:49 am

Post by Occam »

I'd like to bring up a few points for those who are voting me because of my claim, or are using that as a major reason for their vote against me.

A. Do you doubt outright that there is a miller in the setup? It's ye olde times mafia - having a miller in the game seems to make more sense from a setup standpoint than not having one, based entirely upon the name of the game.
B. If you don't doubt the possibility of a miller being in this game, what makes you think that I'm
not
the miller?
C. As the miller wins with the town, would lynching me because I am a miller be protown? My answer is no - but it seems that Fonz's thinking (which DOES make sense in a larger scope) is that allowing people to claim miller and not get lynched makes for an easy scum move site-wide - and that's true, it does. But we're playing
this game
, not
every game
, so keeping the focus here instead of out there in the larger meta world of mafiascum.net seems to make more sense to me than lynching in order to change things site-wide. As a general concept in mafia (if we're to keep those in mind as you suggest), you should be playing to fulfill your win condition, not to alter thinking in the game of mafia as a whole.

So my conclusion is:

1. Using my claim of miller against me as your primary reason for voting me is anti-town. I do not believe I have done anything to suggest that I am scum over miller, but if I have, I would appreciate someone pointing it out.

I came across this, which you might browse at your leisure if you have time:

viewtopic.php?t=7461&highlight=miller

It seems, from reading that, that people are as split on the issue of the D1 claim as we are here - but I would definitely tend to agree with the people who propose a D1 miller claim as the most pro-town option.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #195 (isolation #28) » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:35 am

Post by Occam »

forbid wrote: What if I was voting you for the execution of the claim and the elaboration?
In reflection claiming in post one would have been a better thing to do. But given the circumstances I didn't think it was the best move, like I said. By elaboration I assume you mean the details of my role pm - as I said, I came dangerously close to quoting it, and this mod seems to be a stickler on the rules. I didn't want to risk it, so I paraphrased as best I could.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #200 (isolation #29) » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:08 pm

Post by Occam »

My main concern is that if I was investigated the night before lylo, and it turned up guilty, then we'd lose. That, I think, is why some people, myself included, think it's best to claim early. It's the sort of claim that looks way worse after someone produces a guilty report than it ever could if it were out in the open already.
Seol wrote: trying to argue what makes sense based solely on the name of the game strikes me as trying to justify that the role you made up should be plausible.
Name indicates theme. For example, if this game were called "Washington D.C. mafia", wouldn't it sort of make
sense
that there might be a politician, or a mayor, or a senator role in the game? I'm not bringing this up as a stand-alone point - I'm saying that doubting the existence of a miller role in "Ye Olde Tymes" isn't a good stance. It's not a primary concern for ME beyond the fact that it's my duty to convince YOU all that I'm not lying, so in that sense it IS worth pointing out that it fits with the theme.
Seol wrote: Bolded section strikes me as "lynched for the wrong reason" frustration.
Well I haven't been lynched, and I certainly don't want it to be for these reasons - but either way, asking for evidence of scummy actions is protown, since the whole idea behind defending yourself as town is to avoid a mislynch.
seol wrote: That's talking about an immediate post 1 day 1 claim, for the purposes of attempting to nullify the drawback inherent in the role. You didn't claim p1d1, and you didn't do it to nullify the drawback, you did it to "generate discussion". I don't really see that you were implementing this strategy.
You're right about that - but I have explained why I didn't claim p1d1 and I don't have more of an explanation than that.
seol wrote: Plus, there's a whole bunch of other stuff about the claim I don't like, apart from it simply being a miller claim.
I think I'd like to hear what, specifically, you don't like.
forbid wrote: It was the fact that you stated your PM didn't really explain the functions of your role, and yet your elaboration vaguely did.
It WAS vague though.

OK - here's the deal - I have tried my best to explain this without having to lean on this, because I don't want to out a possible power role - but I have a good feeling that a cop has a guilty on me, so that's a big part of the reason I decided to claim when I did, combined with the other factors I mentioned. That's about all I want to say on that though, as getting any more specific can only be bad for the town.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #205 (isolation #30) » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:12 pm

Post by Occam »

@scum: Ultimavalon is cop.
Slice.
Occam