pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #2367 (isolation #0) » Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:51 am

Post by schadd_ »

i would suspect that the difference btwn open and closed friends & enemies is negligible
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: mith

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #2370 (isolation #1) » Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:06 am

Post by schadd_ »

within 5%, sure
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #2372 (isolation #2) » Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:44 am

Post by schadd_ »

i get that, and as town you enjoy having the information. but i don't really imagine that there's a significant amount of productive stuff you do with the fact that "this is a masons setup". usually when people claim mason it's like "well alright i guess you're a mason" (although hilariously, one of the two or three times i've run a friends & enemies variant in the normal queue i had a mason get executed d1 after claiming with a partner. so that's a data point. but i think it's otherwise, you know, extremely rare, and should be preventable with forethought as to how the endgame plays out). on the other hand, the free inform to scum that "there are masons in this setup" in the open version seems useful, as (i believe) masons are by far the easiest PRs to hunt for, and also you can feel free to e.g. kill northsidegal n1 if you're not in a hurry to hunt down investigatives or whatever. although the masons are free to try to play stealthily & the town can try to avoid running up masons and stuff like that, etc etc. it just kinda adds up to a wash to me.

there's definitely a bunch of other marginal differences to playing normal vs playing open that make it hard to say the winrate would actually end up being similar. i sort of suspect that people just approach normal games differently by virtue of the fact that there might be a neapolitan that randomly gets like 4 results and wins the game for you, or something like that. like the general appeal of playing normal games is that sometimes there is a cool mechanical situation that you want to be in the midst of, with the tradeoff that like some percentage of the games wind up barely being mafia in terms of what decides the outcome. whereas if you sign up for the friends and enemies setup you're probably ready to do the scumhunting without help. and there's probably a bunch of other slight things like that which are hard to place
free darius mccollum

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”