Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (isolation #1) » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:25 am

Post by Lowell »

I'm a huge fan of unprovoked, page 1 claims. Just so you know, if I were a mason, I'd be claiming right now....

I 100% believe the claim. Although Ythill makes an interesting point....
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #47 (isolation #2) » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:35 am

Post by Lowell »

I feel like all I do is make this argument in various games.

Why you should believe iamausername's claim:

1) WIFOM notwithstanding, it's too risky for a scum to make this claim on PAGE 1
2) There could be multiple scumgroups/an SK/etc. So even if he's scum, there's a chance being "cleared" by town will get him killed by another faction, again making it pointless to fake.
3) Page 1 claims are awesome.

Why you shouldn't whine about iamausername's claim:

1) So what if it narrows the scum's search for the cop? It also narrows the town's search for scum, which is far more important.
2) It potentially SAVES a cop, were one to investigate iamausername by chance and then be put in the awkward position of having to out him/herself AND a role that turns out not to be scum.

##unvote, vote tony
. His post is all over the map. He's trying to sow the seeds of doubt without having to take responsibility himself.
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #51 (isolation #3) » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:16 am

Post by Lowell »

There are so many people I want dead.
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #89 (isolation #4) » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:56 am

Post by Lowell »

Oh, noes!!! Two votes!!!!

@Elias- if you were soft-claiming mason in 78, just come out with it and be proud! I'll protect you. D1 mason claims are game-breakers. I promise!

@Tony- without looking back, IIRC your post in response to user's miller claim was something like "Well, I personally am inclined to agree. But everyone should make up his or her mind. If anyone wants to
VOTE
for
IAMAUSERNAME
I wouldn't be opposed to that
VOTE
on
IAMAUSERNAME
, even though I, personally, would never dream of
VOTE
ing for
IAMAUSERNAME
."

It's just a half-assed way of looking at things. It looks a lot like you're setting yourself up for a "change of mind" were others to start not believing the claim.

@all- as for my post about wanting a lot of people dead, let me explain. I said that because I want a lot of people dead. Not
everyone
, mind you, just... you know.... most people. All the scum, and some of the more useless townsfolk. Just me and maybe one or two others remaining. Is Britney Spears (circa 1999) in this game? She can stay.
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #91 (isolation #5) » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:32 am

Post by Lowell »

TonyMontana wrote:Well, I guess it's kinda redundant, whether we imagine he was investigated or not.
We really just have to decide for ourself if we believe user is a miller. Personally, I think he is, but it's a sticky situation, seeing as there's no way to confirm it other than a lynch. Or, heaven forbid, someone counter-claims.

Truth be told, this is the first game I've heard of the role, had to look up the wiki to find out what a miller was, so I don't know how usual the role is. The more frequent milllers appear in games, the less likely it would be for user to be a scum. (ie, doesnt have much risk of a counterclaim)

Nonetheless, I think claiming initially was a good move, if for nothing else than to kick-start the game.

The flavor seemed plausible as well..
Here is the post. It's dumber than I remember. He suggests, at various times: lynching, counterclaiming, fake-claiming, metagaming, flavor-testing.

This post reeks of tony trying to bait someone else into opposing the claim.
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #114 (isolation #6) » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:03 am

Post by Lowell »

##unvote, ##vote crywolf
. Bandwagoning. I don't think we'll get much of a read out of her unless she feels the pressure.
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #119 (isolation #7) » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:07 am

Post by Lowell »

fhqwhgads wrote:
Lowell wrote: Bandwagoning
Are you accusing her, or describing your own actions?
Describing my own. I'm saying I think this is a good bandwagon.
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #120 (isolation #8) » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:10 am

Post by Lowell »

@Tommy's94- iamausername claimed miller becuase he thought it was the right thing to do. When asked for flavor, he gave some. Generally speaking, those who at this point are STILL clamoring for more flavor are not doing the town any favors. More flavor only makes things easier for scum should they decide to fake-claim in the future. The way TM casually brought that up, implying he wanted to draw more out of the claim, is NOT pro-town.
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #123 (isolation #9) » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:05 am

Post by Lowell »

@elias- regardless of their primary goal, no scumgroup is going to want a miller around at endgame. So he'd have to be AWFULLY certain there are no other scumgroups than his to make such a claim on page 1.
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #127 (isolation #10) » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:57 am

Post by Lowell »

Lame. Vote someone else, already. If my case is a stretch, yours is even more of one.
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #140 (isolation #11) » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:19 am

Post by Lowell »

##unvote, ## vote rash
. I ain't claimin', bro. This wagon is too poor.
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #149 (isolation #12) » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:53 am

Post by Lowell »

Tommy wrote:
Elias_the_thief wrote:lowell hasnt even got around to answering my initial questions.
That's part of the case against him. Rashiminos's post 141 can also now be added to the pile of vain attempts to engage Lowell in debate.
THIS was post 141. What exactly does this post mean?

I've answered every question I've seen. If someone "asks" something inane, I reserve the right to pass.
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #156 (isolation #13) » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:26 am

Post by Lowell »

The reason I believe it is that I'm not a WIFOM-minded person. I said "scum wouldn't do that because yada yada" and your response is basically, "ah HA, scum WOULD do that because you wouldn't think that scum would do that! QED scum!"

I prefer to see what's there and not the opposite. For the life of me I can't imagine a scum gutsy enough to fakeclaim miller on PAGE 1, having NO IDEA whether there are other scum groups or anything else about the game setup.

Next question.
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #158 (isolation #14) » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:03 pm

Post by Lowell »

Elias_the_thief wrote:To automatically say its too risky, instead of leaving him as an uncertainty is well, dumb. And I know you're a smarter player than that, which is why I find it scummy.
First, never overestimate my intelligence.

Second, it sounds like we just have a disagreement. I'm convinced he's a miller, and you're not. I get that you object to my "certainty," but that's the way I play the game. I deal in certainty. To me, I file people in my head as "people I want to lynch" and "people I don't." As much as it might be good to deal in shades of gray in the real world, it's useless here. Either you suspect someone or you don't, and equivocating doesn't win you any points in my book. When someone makes the (admittedly inane) post calling someone "OBVSCUM" or "OBVTOWN", we don't jump on them for the certainty in their tone. We either (a) agree with them, or (b) ignore them.

So, I ask again, what are we talking about here?
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #206 (isolation #15) » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:10 pm

Post by Lowell »

Prod received.

I'm in the mountains for Labor Day weekend, my connection and comp time has been scattered. Will be back in force as soon as possible.
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #231 (isolation #16) » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:48 am

Post by Lowell »

I'm back. And not buying the case against Darox. I think there's some opportunism going on here. Something about Tommy's "I think I understand you" post set off alarm bells, as did the fact that crywolf seemed to find the coziest spot on the wagon to sit on.
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #323 (isolation #17) » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:37 am

Post by Lowell »

I'm back. Was away for the weekend. Sorry, mod.
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #334 (isolation #18) » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:42 am

Post by Lowell »

No one hammer. Hold on.
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #335 (isolation #19) » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:48 am

Post by Lowell »

A quick rundown lest I don't get a chance to do anything this game:

5- iamausername claims miller
17- ythill calls claim irresponsible
18- Lowell loves claim
26- crywolf says "cop has reason to look at " [weak]
29- elias believes claim
34- darox will treat user as "someone who hasn't claimed" [very weak]
35- user finishes claim: piano teacher
46- tony has meandering post about claim, says "we should decide for ourselves" [uh, okay]
47- Lowell explains why miller is believable, votes tony
50- crywolf agrees w/ lowell, puts FOS on tony [strange, why no 3rd vote?]
53- elias believes claim
65- crywolf switches sides, now in curious about Lowell [odd]
66- good post from ythill
68- tommy jumps in on tony's side againts Lowell
83- user votes crywolf
85- a idiotic series of consonants votes Lowell
87- tony votes lowell
88- bionic votes crywolf
95- very odd post by consonants. unvotes lowell. Is he coaching me? [strange]
109- elias votes lowell
124- crywolf leads w/ 4 votes, Lowell has 2
125- tommy votes lowell
129- darox votes lowell
131- rash votes lowell
132- crywolf votes lowell, 6th vote
139- elias unvotes, worries about lowell wagon
140- lowell refuses to claim
163- lowell leads w/ 5 votes (tony, tommy, darox, rash, crywolf)
171- darox wants to "break" lowell's habit of badposting. [get in line]
177- user votes darox
178- darox accuses lowell of fishing for roleclaims [wow. wrong]
183- oman votes lowell
190- tony unvotes, wants lowell to claim [why unvote to do that??]
195- crywolf unvotes
196- tony revotes lowell
208- user attacks darox for word choices [good]
211- tommy sides w/ darox
237- darox unvotes
238- yhtill votes darox
243- oman sides w/ darox
253- consonants vote lowell, 5th vote
265- crywolf votes lowell, calls herself a hammerphobe [good]
273- tommy unvotes, wants to relook at crywolf [good post]
274- consonants continues argument w/ darox [getting a little chippy!]
277- lowell leads w/ 5 votes (rash, oman, tony, consonants, crywolf)
281- elias promises to "look at people on day 2" [slightly strange]
283- bionic makes interesting case against elias [good]
285- bionic prefers crywolf lynch to lowell
294- user asks good questions of darox
301- consonants votes darox [good]
306- oman says "anyone but darox"
316- bionic votes lowell
322- tommy votes lowell (lynch - 1)
328- consonants "demands" claim [odd]

Some individual thoughts:

bionic
- I believe he's
town
, his turn in 316 notwithstanding. I was impressed by his case against elias in 301, but I believe he didn't take it far enough.

crywolf
- I'd have said 100% scum were it not for post 265. There's something endearingly newbish to it, and it's a post I don't think scum would come out and say. I'll put her as
town
, and look more carefully at those propping her up from both sides.

darox
- There is a good case to be made here, but oman's insistence that darox is innocent makes me think twice. The fact that he sometimes fears hammers and sometimes doesn't, however, makes me worry. Unknown for now, but I'm leaning
scum
for a lot of horrible misrepresentations (Lowell fishing for claims of OTHERS??? Really?)

elias
- THIS was the one that jumped out at me on reread. I read 281 several times and it still reads strange. Though I didnt' have much of an opinion of him before that, the certainty that he "will look at them tomorrow" is a very odd town post. As town, I'm not so much scared that I'll die, but I AM scared that I'll die before I get a chance to get my two cents out there. Elias does not seem to fear this. combine this with his earlier hesitation to get too deeply involved in the case against me, and the fact that he TWICE came out and said he believes the username claim (but in equivocal language) and it all adds up to
##unvote, ##vote elias

consonants
- I can do without this guy, frankly. I would call him scum but for the extended interchange with darox about darox's strange behavior. Aside from that he's been relatively useless. No good read on him yet.

iamausername
- miller,
town
, I'm almost 100% sure. No reason to change my mind. In addition, he's led a lot of the more cogent attacks against most players.

rash
- I had an early scum read on him, but I'm changing my mind. Of the votes against me, his is by far the least retarded. I'll call him
town

tommy
- This is a strange one. Tommy is, in some ways, perhaps the most responsible for driving the weakass wagon before us. He's taken a few sides he shouldn't have (tony and crywolf), but on the other hand has made a few key unvotes that (had he just been going for the quicklynch of me) he wouldn't have. In particular, 273 is a post I don't believe scum would have made.
town

tonymontana
-
scum
. I still think post 46 is strange. PARTICULARLY when combined with his more bellicose tone in 190 and 196. In the latter two he seems to put a lot of stock in the power of claiming, yet the crux of our original argument that garnered his vote is that I was swayed by a claim when he thought I should have been more cautious. The timing of his unvote and revote don't help him either.

oman
- for some reason I get strong
town
vibes from him. He's defending a very unpopular position at the moment (darox = not scum) and doing so with gusto. Points for that.

yhtill
- this guy is dangerous. He has a lot of good posts and people tend to believe what he says. I believe that he's
town
, but I'm not married to it yet.

A few other things:

There is a slight link between tony and crywolf in the 50s and 60s. She says she agrees with my reasoning for voting tony, but only FOSs herself (despite him having only 2 votes). Almost immediately she changes her mind, agrees wholeheartedly with tony's side, and attacks me. This looks a LOT like buddying on crywolf's part, and I don't like that tony is just letting it happen.

The nature of the darox/consonants argument throughout the latter pages of this game makes me think we could be dealing with a couple of pro-town players.

I'm not super-thrilled with all the backhanded compliments from those who say I'm not scum because I "always play this way." I don't believe my behavior is scummy AT ALL, and those not voting me just for meta-reasons look like people who are trying to set themselves up to vote for me later.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”