The following roles have no place in Mafia...

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Axelrod
Axelrod
Mafia Scum
Axelrod
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (isolation #0) » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:33 am

Post by Axelrod »

Mr Stoofer wrote:Discuss:
  1. Jester
  2. Scum Mason (unless Masons are
    explicitly
    told: "He/she may be Scum")
  3. Survivor win conditions (except for an SK)
  4. Millers, who do not know they are Millers (unless the existence of a Miller is publicly announced to the Town at the start of the game)
  5. Any random role
You will never see any of these in a Stoofer game.
1. Jester: I just don't see the point. It's like, someone was trying to think up alternate roles one day and said "hay, what about a role that has to get itself lynched! That's different!" Different it may be, but also pointless and dull. Maybe not so much for the person playing it, who gets to act stupid and crazy, but for the towns (and even scums) that have to endure it.

2. Oxy-moron to me, as
Mason
the way I understand it implies a guarantee of towniness. If you call someone a "Mason" and then make him scum, it's like calling someone a Doc. but making him a vig., i.e. Bastard Modding. You can have roles that Night comunicate just fine, and if you don't want them to be "confirmed" to each other, just don't call them "Masons", 'kay?

3. Survivor: I could be prejudiced, because I played one of these, but I think they can be okay, under certain circumstances. The role does require more from the player in terms of skill than something like Jester, just to survive you have to be townie enough to not get lynched, yet not threatening enough to draw Mafia attention. It's very like a SK in that aspect. And the role
does
have an impact on the other players, unlike Jester. There's an interesting balance where the town doesn't
need
said role dead, but must always be wary that the role could choose to side with the scum in an end-game situation. And that's assuming the player can convince the town that this is truly his role.

4. I actually thought the original verson of "Miller" was a role that did not know he showed up as scum. My feeling is this, I dislike when roles don't work as advertised unless there's some way to puzzle out the truth. I think you
can
have a "Miller" who's not explicitly told he's a Miller, but I also think there need to be hints somewhere in the game that could allow him/the town to figure this out.

5. I also dislike Random. I think, possibly, there's a place for it in very limited, controlled environments. For example, I don't recall if there's a Dice Hack in this forum, but a roll that uses the Dice, right out in the open in the Thread, might be fine. But I
really
don't like those roles where the PM says something like "You have a 50% chance of success, etc, etc." and the Mod. does the calculations behind the scenes and then comes and tells you what happened. Or worse, where there's some random factor at work that the Mod.
doesn't even tell the players about
. Man, that really sucks.
Axelrod
Axelrod
Mafia Scum
Axelrod
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #48 (isolation #1) » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:40 am

Post by Axelrod »

All you people saying Scum Masons are fine: I assume you
don't
mean that it's fine for the Mod. to say "You are Masons with X and as such you know him to be town..." when X is scum.

You just think it's okay for the Mod. to say "You are Masons with X, and you guys can Night-talk and stuff" and if the Mod. doesn't
say
that your partner is guaranteed to be town, you just have to always assume that he might be scum. Yes?

If that's what you mean then it's just a terminology dispute, as I just don't think you call the latter group "Masons" to begin with. They are just people who can talk to each other at Night. "Mason" should imply trust.
Axelrod
Axelrod
Mafia Scum
Axelrod
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #51 (isolation #2) » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:30 am

Post by Axelrod »

Mr. Flay wrote:
Axelrod wrote:"Mason" should
imply
trust.
QFT
(emphasis added)

However, it does not
guarantee
trust. That genie has been out of the bottle for a long time...same as with Cop results being trustworthy and Godfathers being NK-immune.
I guess I just don't see this (I mean, I
see
it, but don't believe it should be that way). To me, a Mason is a different kind of animal than a Cop or a Doc or whatever. His town-ness is what
makes
the role what it is. As opposed to "random night-talking dude."

Return to “Mafia Discussion”