New Normal Guidelines - April 2017 update!

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #150 (isolation #0) » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:52 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 145, Ether wrote:I really don't like vanilla cops as weakened rolecops. Rolecops already aren't that strong, and we have plenty of crappy investigative roles already. A role that returns the same positive results on mafiates and town power roles is a lot more interesting, strategically. Even if "vanilla cop" doesn't wind up being the name for that role, it should still exist.
I suspect having a range of crappy investigative roles was a result of people disliking the cop role.

Gunsmith positives always felt arbitrary to me, and I think it would have been better to just straight-up say that they're arbitrary per game then tie their results to flavor that doesn't exist.
This was actually a topic of discussion when these new normal guidelines were set up. The decision was made to standardise and write down in the wiki what people would recognise as a gunsmith. Quite simply, there's not a precedent for "role that gets positive on x, y and z roles" apart from the gunsmith, and it's always more or less had the same group of roles it finds. "Normal" isn't what the NRG thinks the game should be, it's what (the NRG thinks) people expect out of a normal game. It's not the NRG's job to invent new roles. Doesn't mean that mods aren't invited to do that, there's at least one slot in a normal game where they can put a non whitelist role which uses normal mechanics.

I fear I didn't get the NAR complaint yesterday, and I still don't really get it.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #151 (isolation #1) » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:54 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 149, Ether wrote:As far as I can find, exactly two motion detectors have been used in completed games on this site, and both of them are in games that are over 5 years old. I don't really have a problem with them being normal now, but I don't think that that's an accurate reflection of site meta at all.

that is indeed awkward.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #154 (isolation #2) » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:27 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 153, Ether wrote:"More or less" is the keyword there. Different games--and the NRG itself--had different interpretations on whether gaolers and bodyguards and other non-killing roles had guns. And now we have a standard, but that's not the only one we could have gone with!

Bingo. The thought was that it was valuable to have a set role to go with the name "gunsmith" so that people wouldn't have to ask the mod everytime what version it was this time.

If someone really wants to have a similar role but who gets positives on mafia, JK's, deputies and voyeurs, they could, but it'd be nice if they found a different name for it than "gunsmith".
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #156 (isolation #3) » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:51 am

Post by mykonian »

There are places for mod notes, but probably not in normal games :(
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #159 (isolation #4) » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:14 am

Post by mykonian »

Because esspecially in normals an effort was made to reduce the amount of nasty surprises and hidden information.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”