Theme Test Market

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
serrapaladin
serrapaladin
Jack of All Trades
serrapaladin
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3856 (isolation #0) » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:37 pm

Post by serrapaladin »

Once I've modded a Mini Normal (hopefully soon), I'm looking to mod a few games in the Micro and Mini Theme queues.

From my f2f days, I still have a bunch of setups with flavour I'd like to run. Here are some themes I'd be interested in running in an amended form suitable for forum play, mostly TV/gaming related, which I haven't seen around recently:
  • Arrested Development (could definitely be a series of games, with a new one once the Netflix ones come out)
  • Assassin's Creed 1+2
  • Boston Legal
  • Chuck
  • Community
  • Firefly
  • NCIS
  • Okami
  • Portal
  • True Blood
  • XKCD
  • Zelda - Majora's Mask
Some of these are rather gimmicky, some are fairly normal setups with flavour, and some have well-refined non-standard mechanisms. Most of them are biased against flavour-blind play while some straight-out require good familiarity with the source material.

I also have a bunch of stuff based on individual books and plays, from Shakespeare and Chaucer to Dickens and Stoker, if there'd be any sort of interest in that (yes, we were a nerdy bunch...). Finally, I've done something akin to a book club/Mafia game, where a book is chosen that no one has read, and a reread is (cleverly) coordinated by the mod with in-game action. That stuff takes some effort to run, as well as commitment from everyone involved, but I've had some very positive feedback the few times I have run it.
Wandering but not lost
serrapaladin
serrapaladin
Jack of All Trades
serrapaladin
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3858 (isolation #1) » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:48 pm

Post by serrapaladin »

Well, my definition of 'not recently' is fairly liberal. If I haven't seen it run or mentioned in my time here, I mentioned it. I'm still months away from getting close to modding a themed game, but I thought I'd test the waters.

The Okami one is lots of fun. I wasn't sure if it's popular around here, but that one does have some funky mechanisms (think: ink wells & health points - might have to redesign away from a hurt/heal mechanism depending on how people feel about that).

The Majora's Mask one is probably my favorite. If you've played the game, I'm sure you can vaguely imagine what the mechanism looks like.
Wandering but not lost
serrapaladin
serrapaladin
Jack of All Trades
serrapaladin
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3859 (isolation #2) » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:03 pm

Post by serrapaladin »

As to Shakespeare, Measure for Measure lends itself quite well to Mafia "translation", as does Othello. I've run both of those, as well as Much Ado, but for each I just used a fairly standard setup and whacked some flavour on top. If I'm going to run one of those in a Theme queue, I'll revamp it and add some fun stuff.
Wandering but not lost
serrapaladin
serrapaladin
Jack of All Trades
serrapaladin
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3866 (isolation #3) » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:31 pm

Post by serrapaladin »

In post 3864, fferyllt wrote:I have run a couple of cyberpunk SF themed games elsewhere and would like to run some small games in that genre, Particularly Bester's Demolished Man and The Stars My Destination.
Ooh, I love me some classic cyberpunk. I've already done Dune and some stuff by Asimov, but Bester would be pretty cool.

Oh and how do people round here feel about RPing?
Wandering but not lost
serrapaladin
serrapaladin
Jack of All Trades
serrapaladin
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3934 (isolation #4) » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:51 am

Post by serrapaladin »

^ this will definitely happen. Probably starting with an Othello micro once my upcoming micro is running.
Wandering but not lost

Return to “Mafia Discussion”