Scummies Ideas, Suggestions and Comments Thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #361 (isolation #0) » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:26 pm

Post by The Fonz »

So here's the thing. There is a best setup award, but it typically goes to pretty complicated closed setups that are super fun once, but, by the nature of the beast, can't be re-played.

Meanwhile, we have the Open queue, which is a fun and overlooked area of the site. There are also a number of smaller open games being played in the Micro Queue. Creating a new open setup which proves to be fun and balanced can benefit the site, and indeed the game of mafia beyond it (consider smalltown, the various C9s and E7s for example) for years after as the new setup can become a 'standard.'

Therefore, I propose we add a new category 'Best New Open Setup' to honor those who come up with ideas which enrich the game of mafia in this way.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #367 (isolation #1) » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:40 am

Post by The Fonz »

In post 365, Mr. Flay wrote:Best Theme Setup and Best Normal/Open Setup, maybe? Mutations would go with Themes, obv.

I'm not sure, given the existence of the current Normal rules, you get interesting normal setups. Nor is creating new and interesting things what you want to go for with normal games in general - I'm not sure it's a good idea to encourage mods to dick around with normals rather than just concentrate on producing a solid, fun game of basic mafia. Whereas innovation with opens IS a good thing. Best open or MICRO setup? That would probably work better imho.

I'd suggest with new opens the thing to do would be to credit the person who made the original proposal, and if there's a really significant tweak that clearly improves it, credit the person who suggested it as well. Like, so two of four would have gone to both me and Kelly Chen.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”