Scummies Ideas, Suggestions and Comments Thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Zdenek
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #152 (isolation #0) » Fri May 18, 2012 5:53 am

Post by Zdenek »

I'd like to see moderators (perhaps with the players' (private?) advice) nominate one or two players each game (perhaps more depending on the size) for good play. An award could be given out for players who regularly win this in their games.

The idea is to keep track of players who usually play very well in their games. I see the award as being like named to an all-star team.
I have secret plans and clever tricks.
- The Enormous Crocodile.
Zdenek
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #154 (isolation #1) » Fri May 18, 2012 6:08 am

Post by Zdenek »

In post 153, zoraster wrote:I'm not sure I see that as much different than Don Corleone/Paragon other than changing the way it's nominated.

Well, for one thing, it would reward both good town and scum play, as opposed to being for one in particular. Also there are numerous things that could happen in a game that would prevent one from being nominated for one of those awards, while still being deserving of recognition for good play.
Zdenek
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #156 (isolation #2) » Fri May 18, 2012 12:11 pm

Post by Zdenek »

In post 155, quadz08 wrote:Myeh. I don't think it serves any purpose.

I disagree.

I would aesthetically prefer for there to be awards that are given to people for good play that can somehow be judged objectively. However, aside from win-loss ratios, I am not sure that this makes much sense in mafia because of the variety of circumstances that can arise, and I can easily imagine people playing suboptimally (and perhaps even against their win condition) to win an award, and even with win-loss ratios there are issues, especially when it comes to involving replacements. What this would do is track players whose play is good over several games as judged by the moderators and reward it. My hope is that because this award involves judging players in each of their games by different people, it will be somewhat more objective.
Zdenek
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #159 (isolation #3) » Sun May 20, 2012 5:49 pm

Post by Zdenek »

In post 158, AGar wrote:
In post 154, Zdenek wrote:
In post 153, zoraster wrote:I'm not sure I see that as much different than Don Corleone/Paragon other than changing the way it's nominated.

Well, for one thing, it would reward both good town and scum play, as opposed to being for one in particular. Also there are numerous things that could happen in a game that would prevent one from being nominated for one of those awards, while still being deserving of recognition for good play.

Not really, because players get nominated for good play in one game by that moderator, where they play as one faction (Town, Mafia or 3rd Party). A player can simply be nominated only for town performances or scum performances and thus it's not rewarding them for good town and scum play. So really, what's the purpose of this?

Yes, of course that could happen. I don't quite understand why the objections to this idea are vague; it's pretty clear what the purpose is.

I'll try to give an example. It's a bit too extreme, but whatever, you can easily imagine a more realistic one. Suppose these were someone's games.

1. As town outs the remaining scum or gets it lynched with a gambit.
2. As town calls the scum team early in the game and is nk'ed.
3. As town figures out the remaining scum in lylo, but can't convince the remaining town.
4. Wins as town making the correct call in LYLO, for good reasons between two seemingly equally good lynches.
5. As scum gets to 3 player LYLO, without being under any real suspicion, but is lynched because of power role information/setup spectulation.
6. Wins as scum, convincing a townie to vote for someone he had good reason to not vote for.

Now, depending on what else happened in these games, this player could easily not be nominated for any of the current awards, but still be the best player in each of these games. I'm not suggesting that is replace any of the other awards or that it's on the same tier as them, just that it would be a way to recognize players whose play is consistently good. It also gives a way to recognize best role-claim, best play in a losing cause and other things that individually probably don't deserve a scummy, but might, if it's also as part of consistently strong play.
Zdenek
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #172 (isolation #4) » Thu May 24, 2012 2:23 pm

Post by Zdenek »

Just since I am interested, TSQ, what do you think of my method or more generally having people "nominated" from each game?
It would mostly solve the popularity contest, since people would be recongnized for their play in each game, the people doing the judging at that level would have read the game and hopefully since playars are just being judged on a game by game basis, their notoriety shouldn't play too much of a role in the judging.
Zdenek
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #174 (isolation #5) » Thu May 24, 2012 2:32 pm

Post by Zdenek »

In post 173, Thestatusquo wrote:I think that would be good in that it would get rid of the nomination process that we currently have now, but I think there are some issues. For one, who is doing the nomination? The players in the game? the mod of the game? Etc. For another, I don't think it solves the issues in terms of team performances. It doesn't work with best team scum and town performance. It also doesn't work with body of work awards such as paragon.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, I think it puts an unreasonable burden on whomever you have judging the ceremony. Are you really asking judges to read every game that is played in a given year? That's just not possible for people who have lives outside of reading mafia games.

Well, when I conceived of it, it was as an additional award, which would essentially be awarded to anyone who broke a certain threshold in both a minimum number of nominations and percentage of games nominated. I guess it wouldn't work as a way to deal with the current awards.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”