Ethics: Type-2 Metagaming

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #5 (isolation #0) » Mon May 22, 2006 6:20 am

Post by jeep »

Fiasco wrote:(I hope Mith doesn't mind me starting this. It came up in the other thread.)
He asked us to start topics that we thought were worth discussing, so if he minds, it's his own damn fault. ;)
Normally, players are assumed to maximize their probability of winning in the current game. This goal conflicts with other possible goals, such as punishing or rewarding players for certain types of behavior, or establishing a pattern of one's own behavior to refer to in future games. Pursuing these other goals at the expense of winning in the current game is called "metagaming".
I disagree with this definition and characterization of metagaming. I'll spend more time on this later (after work, if my HoneyDo list isn't too big.)
An example of metagaming is the "Lynch All Liars" rule.
Lynch All Liars is more than just a meta game ploy, but one of it's big reasons for use is that it is one.
Assume someone was caught in a lie. Assume you're an innocent townie, and for whatever reason, you think the liar was probably also an innocent townie. Lynching him may cost the town the game. However, lynching him will also dissuade future townie lies.

What's the ethical thing to do here?
WHY do you think he was an innocent townie? LAL is a mindset to help you deal with this situation. In games, I assume all players will play to the best of their ability and that their ability is comparable to my own. It keeps me from making silly moves in the hopes of trapping a weaker player, since I don't want to rely on things like that. With that assumption, you have to assume that the other player is using your hesitation against you and therefore, is probably scum.

You are assuming that the player is stupid. "Stupid or scum" was a common phrase once upon a time. I decided I didn't want to assume anyone was stupid, so I therefore assume they are scum.
I'm going to take an unpopular opinion and say
Lynch All Liars is bad
, and
metagaming is bad
in general.
I disagree, obvoiusly. I think you CANNOT avoid meta gaming. Yes, it sucks when you get killed N1 every time, but it's cyclic. Eventually, people will stop killing you N1 for any number of reasons.
You have a duty toward your fellow players to maximize your team's chances of winning in the game you are currently in.
Within reason. Clearly, you shouldn't cheat to do so. So what are your boundry conditions? Is using outside information legit?
If you're interested in modifying people's behavior in future games, in-game mechanisms like lynching are not a legitimate way to do so. The only legitimate way to change people's behavior in future games is by convincing them your way is better. (Maybe we should make all new players read a list of the top ten dumb newbie mistakes, for example.) (Obviously, you'd still lynch most liars, because most liars are scum.)

I'm not sure, though. I just changed my mind on this. Thoughts?
So if we talk about LAL, the behaviour modification is simply a wonderful side effect. You shouldn't LAL because it will change behavior (I should change how I wrote that piece up. Punishing bad play is a side effect, not the reason.)
I
should LAL because despite
my
instincts, Liars are almost always scum.

This is a huge topic. I'll try to write more later.

-JEEP
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #9 (isolation #1) » Mon May 22, 2006 10:25 am

Post by jeep »

Claiming Doc will almost certainly let you survive the lynch. Then if you die, you die. You have helped your team more than if you lie and then get caught later.

Claiming cop is flat out poor play, as far as I can see.
There really are situations where the correct thing for a pro-town person to do is to lie. For example, say you're a role-cop, and just found out person X is a doc. Further say that you are 100% sure that if the doc lives two more nights, the town is guarenteed to win. Now person X is being bandwagoned. You don't want person X lynched, but you also don't want person X to have to role-claim and you don't want to out person X. If you can lie in order to protect person X without revealing them as a doc, shouldn't you do so?
No. You don't need to lie and you don't need to reveal that he's doc. You can simply say you are a cop and you know X is innocent. I don't think that full role claims are required in most cases. If you lie then, and later you find supercop... you lied about Doc (and the mafia have killed that "known innocent") then why will people believe you? In fact, if you lie and the person turns up Doctor, why would anyone assume you were who you said? You might have just picked random person that you know wasn't mafia with you.

As to LAL being a sledge hammer, sure. There are clearly times when you want to keep a scum a live. Like keeping SK alive so that mafia don't auto win, as has been discussed before. The sentiment is supposed to say: Don't assume your opponent is stupid, assume they are scum. Anyone who lies, should be considered scum.

-JEEP
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #13 (isolation #2) » Mon May 22, 2006 7:14 pm

Post by jeep »

If a person lies in one of the rare situations when it would actually make good logical sense for a good guy to lie, why would you assume that they're scum?
I'm still waiting for a scenario when it makes sense. I firmly believe you don't need to do a full role reveal. So clearly you don't need to claim that you are a vest. You can claim Townie, because you are.

If I find a situation where it's better to lie, then I'll give on that instance. Give me a good example that might be generally applicable, I might reconsider.

-JEEP
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #15 (isolation #3) » Mon May 22, 2006 7:43 pm

Post by jeep »

That isn't even the type of outside information I was asking about... I meant truly outside. That is, information about people that is not available on the forum/wiki.

-JEEP
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #22 (isolation #4) » Mon May 22, 2006 11:39 pm

Post by jeep »

Ethical and Moral are synonyms. They both exist. It may be in a specialized study, but I've heard that
ethics
is what is right or wrong based on
reason
and
morals
are what is considered right or wrong behavior based on
social custom
. And ethical and moral are the adjectives related to those.

Seol, I'll respond to your scenario soon. I'm not convinced it was the best move, but as a mason, you can get away with a little more.

-JEEP
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #25 (isolation #5) » Mon May 22, 2006 11:59 pm

Post by jeep »

The etymology of a word doesn't change the fact that it exists and has its own meaning... It's like the difference between gender and sex. [/hijack]

-JEEP

Return to “Mafia Discussion”