The Gameplay Improvement Thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #24 (isolation #0) » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:02 pm

Post by KittyMo »

I'm underconfident with my scumreads and thus can't get anyone to listen to my reads unless I happen to be wrong -- then opportunistic scum love me. Does anyone have any advice? If you want me to be more detailed, I can.
Alt of Ariel | MafiaScum wiki volunteer contributor & sysop | Identity (Mish Mash) is back | Speakeasy Secret Santa

"plz don't swear" -- N
"Do people just not appreciate the good old wall of text anymore?" -- Cheery Dog
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #42 (isolation #1) » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:12 am

Post by KittyMo »

SFG wrote:I would try, but I have a history of being a significant detriment to my team, so I doubt my advice would be at all helpful.
Ythan wrote:Is this just lots of people saying "read all my games and help me" and nobody doing it?
Giving bad advice could attract people to the thread shooting it down and giving better advice. :razz: Plus there's a difference between being able to explain what good play is and actually doing good play.

While I'm a bit annoyed with people who are asking things in the most general way possible, I'm going to take a look at their games later today and see what I can do.
Alt of Ariel | MafiaScum wiki volunteer contributor & sysop | Identity (Mish Mash) is back | Speakeasy Secret Santa

"plz don't swear" -- N
"Do people just not appreciate the good old wall of text anymore?" -- Cheery Dog
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #43 (isolation #2) » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:15 pm

Post by KittyMo »

Friend wrote:Guys. I am horrible at mafia.

My games are located in my wiki, and maybe you could read through them and help me see where I went wrong?

Thanks. <3 everyone.
Don't have the energy to read through your games, but it looks like looking scummy is a nonissue for you since you have yet to be lynched. From your summaries, it seems you have learned that you are still defining what is and is not a scumtell, and you seem to have a good gut. When your gut is pinging about something, since that is one of your major assets, look into it. Whether it be a player, a certain wagon, a certain post or vote. Just take a look and see what you think it's telling you, and try to figure out what about that particular thing is bothering you. The more you think about it and the more you get used to doing that, the better you can explain in words what your gut is telling you, which will also make you more able to tell if you're right or wrong.

Another problem mentioned in your summary was apathy in a game. The best ways to beat apathy are replacing into games (you know what you're getting into) and making sure you don't fall behind in the game. If you're feeling stuck in a rut, try to come up with a new way to get information if you're town. If you're scum, I guess think about what sort of angles you can take that are interesting. I haven't played scum much.

Hopefully that helps. v0v

"plz don't swear" -- N
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #86 (isolation #3) » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:18 am

Post by KittyMo »

horrordude0215 wrote:http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13461

I had really anti-town play there, and any critiques would be appreciated!
Spoiler: Day 1
horrordude0215 wrote:I'll do a readthrough now. If anyone has any questions for me, feel free to ask :)
This is your first post upon replacing in, and your first impression is...well, friendly, and a bit dull. Remember, even as town, you want people to find you intelligent if you want to be listened to. It seems like you could've phrased this better to make a better first impression.
horrordude0215 wrote:Okay, here's a player-by-player analyis of everyone so far. I know there have been a lot of cases on players, but don't expect me to parrot them. Hopefully, I will provide new cases on some people or provide a different perspective on the ones already stated...

DiamondCrash - Neutral leaning town. Haven't really got much of a read yet. All I know is that I don't consider the whole L-2 scenario to be worth much at all in an even halfway decent scum case. (Most of my reasons on my Zodiark anal.)

RedFox - Possible Scum. Actively lurking. Only posts analysis when asked. Other than that, his posts are mostly fluff.

Trumpet of Doom - Neutral. Hasn't posted much yet, but I look forward to seeing him contribute more as an IC.

Zodiark13 - My strongest suspects for a few reasons.
That has snippets of your third post. Your reads are decent for the beginning of the game. To me, it seems like you focused too much on personal dislike of Zodiark's style rather than actual reasons for him being scum. None of your reasons seem substantial to me. It also seems like you neglected to notice DiamondCrash's fluffposting because whenever he posted content, he agreed with your main suspicion. I've found in experience that the tells you listed for RedFox are the *best* way to catch scum in the early game. Not a bad post otherwise, though, except...well, it seems like you didn't need to mention your town reads and 'buddying comments' so early (about ToD, Almaster, Captain Pandemonium) or to list off your entire suspicion list (as you did in your 4th post). Those pieces of your post seem to help the scum test waters and work things to their advantage more than it helps town. You say in a later post that it helps "eliminate the possibility of a mislynch," but no one on your townlist was under suspicion at that point...
horrordude wrote:While I personally would be fine with a Zod lynch, we still have about a week and a half to make our decision. We should probably wait a little bit longer, IMO
(Post 5)
Yes, you recognize that deadline is far away and that more discussion should be had...and you leave your vote on Zodiark13 and make no further investigations and such? Dunno, seems like you could be doing something more useful at this point -- even if Zodiark13 was scum, you could be finding his buddy...
horrordude wrote:If people would see Z's scummyness we would!
Again, you're overestimating the strength of your Zodiark case, and you haven't mentioned any new points on him. Posting overconfident one-liners isn't really providing good content. :razz:

Then you make this post, responding to Zodiark13's posts without even still trying to decipher whether he's scum. You paint him as scummy for "twisting your words" (which is something I think is overused as a scumtell; town makes mistakes) and OMGUS (see MD thread, town does it too). Yes, Zodiark13 isn't acting all that pro-town, but it's more of an anti-town frustration than scumminess from my standpoint. Consider what your reaction would be if someone was posting basically no content except to attack you for reasons that...aren't all that substantial. :S Mafia's all about perspectives!

Spoiler: day 2
horrordude wrote: That wasn't the point... it was true that TeW was probably the most pro-town player we had, and for ToD to be suggesting something so filled with WIFOM is ridiculous. I gave him the benefit of the doubt in Day 1, but with him doing something like this, I don't think so any more.

Vote: Trumpet of Doom
This is another case of you being convinced you're right because you happen to disagree with a player on how to play the game. I don't get the "benefit of the doubt" thing since you didn't ever really have a scum read on ToD. It seems like you have something personal against NK analysis. Just because you might think it's unhelpful, doesn't mean that only scum do it. Plus, I don't really understand the scum motivation of bringing that up, unless TeW thought Trumpet was obvtown or something. I don't see how promoting discussion about scum motivations should be tossed aside as scum promoting WIFOM for sure, you know? Plus it's ONE TELL. o_O You could come up with like 8 for RedFox.

Next post has you being overdefensive to RedFox. You only remembered he was scummy when he talked about you. <<;

When Trumpet posts against you, your scumdar flares up on him again magically. It's a motif! :O Seriously, you need to control your suspecting-me-equals-scum-thing. I've seen you do it in other games. You need to keep that in mind when reading someone that has attacked you that your emotions may be getting in the way.

Also, why are you mad at ToD for not mentioning RF when you only mentioned him...once...before doing that?
horrordude wrote:Contradictions are scummy... if you contradict yourself, I will notice it, and I will lynch you for it.
<_<; Also, I hate this quote. Seriously. Town contradict themselves. EVEN YOU DO IT AS TOWN. :razz:

Umm, horrordude in this post you attack ToD largely on WIFOM. I thought only scum used WIFOM...? :razz:
horrordude wrote:Everyone: Please notice that ToD said that he would use his daykills on *gasp* everyone but himself and RedFox, the two scummiest players in the game! Hmm... but it's probably just coincidence, right?
Yeah, but doesn't it seem stupid if he was scum about to be lynched to make a huge connection with his buddy? Especially since he's an IC. This doesn't seem to make sense and seems to be confirmation bias speaking. "OMG ToD MUST BE SCUM BECAUSE HE'S BAD AT SCUMHUNTING"[/quote]

Also, no offense, but I'm getting bored of reading your walls....

OOH SHINY POST.
horrordude wrote:Ok so here's how I'm feeling right now.

I feel like the damage is done and there is no redemption for me. I don't know how to go about fixing this mess. I wasn't left in a good position when I replaced in, and the way my own words have been misconstrued and have placed me into a precarious position. I'm not going to replace out, because I wouldn't want a noobie to jump in at L-1.

Instead, I have a proposal. I want to be lynched. Lynch me, and then look closely at my bandwagon: I'm positive that there's at least 1, if not both, scum on it. I've already given my opinions on the situation multiple times... I believe that shad and trumpet are scum. I know that I could very well be way off in my reads, but the point remains... Most of you have your fingers pointed towards me which I know is wrong, but there's nothing that can be done about that. I'm the distraction that the mafia needs right now. The Mafia would be stupid to NK me because I'm currently taking the heat off them. If I'm not lynched today, I guarantee I will survive the NK. That leaves me around in lylo, and I know that the second a townie puts their vote on me, scum will double bandwagon for the win.

Right now I feel that the hill is too steep for me to climb and this is the best way for you, the townies, to get some answers. I'd rather go out today and get people on the right course for lylo. Getting rid of me now is the right choice.

So that's my proposition. Take me out for the greater good. Given that ToD is the only other lead besides myself, I'm probably your best bet due to the fact that I'm still learning how to properly play and get my attacks down. There's no use in dragging it out until the deadline.

Do the right thing people, but know that I will self-hammer if you need me too.
Pro-tip: If you're going to make a post like this, don't. Go wait until you're in a better mood. Giving up is a bad mood. It's not helpful to your faction. The "I was left in a bad place when I replaced in" is emotional garbage because...your replacement didn't even say anything. In reading the whole thing, I suppose it's not that bad if you truly believed you'd be a lylo liability...but considering you finished out the game and won, that shows that you were wrong, because you were tainted by hard feelings. I know it's annoying when everyone seems to suspect you, but it's not the end of the world and you can still get scum lynched. It's easy for scum to call "LOL AtE die" when townies make posts like that; true story. It's not right or fair, but it's true. When you get to that emotional point, don't get cooped up in defending yourself -- read the thread more, find scum. Prove them wrong.
horrordude wrote:I find this to be an offensive personal attack: Please refrain from that in the future.
Yeah, you're being overdefensive here, and it's not making people want to listen to you. In the future, just ignore it and don't respond. If you have a serious problem with a personal attack, talk the the mod.

Spoiler: day 3 and 4
You made the right decisions in lylo, though you seemed rather uncertain considering that all game you'd thought those two were scummier than the other lynching options. Why so unconfident when you're right, and confident when you're wrong? Teehee. BTW, it was good play for the scum to kill the cop over you -- if you had died, then the cop would know who was scum and it'd be down to a crossvote, and Shad probably felt that Almaster would definitely not vote for DK because he'd so easily believed DK the day before; the buss seemed unlikely.

Understand that I mean everything here in the best way possible & etc., and see what you can get out of it -- I just kinda typed what came to mind. Lol

tl;dr
1. You need to understand scumhunting more. People disagreeing with you and attacking with you aren't obvscum, nor is the opposite true. -_- Contradictions also aren't scummy in most cases. There are also scummy things you notice but don't give adequate attention to.
2. Your emotions seem to get in your way a lot. Trust me, I know how it feels. Don't be afraid to take a step back and refrain from commenting on something immediately that you feel is tainted by emotion. Once you're more calmed down, you'll have a more accurate perspective on things, and people will be less likely to call you out on "OMGUS," "AtE," and "overdefensiveness." (all evil overused tells that aren't usually scumtells)
3. In the early game, be more open-minded. You haven't seen enough yet to have clear, accurate reads. In the late game, though, you know what you're doing for the most part by then. Have more confidence then. :razz:

yay!

"plz don't swear" -- N
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #87 (isolation #4) » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:19 am

Post by KittyMo »

Elmo wrote:If I was less lazy I would make a point of explaining why I predicted this thread would essentially be a dead end.

But I'm not. :V
thread readers wrote:If I was less lazy I would make a point of explaining improvement to people's gameplay.

But I'm not. :V

"plz don't swear" -- N
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #89 (isolation #5) » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:24 am

Post by KittyMo »

Parama wrote:You listened to my reads.
I'm not always right y'know :P
pro-tip: don't tell people this

Also, Fate, maybe update the first post to have threads that haven't been looked at yet?

"plz don't swear" -- N
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #92 (isolation #6) » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:22 am

Post by KittyMo »

Gameplay Improvement Threads Awaiting Attention
RequestedRequesterGame Name/TypeLengthAdvice Request
20 Sept '10RichardGHPMafia 113: Mafia in Mendo50 pgs
20 Sept '10RichardGHPMafia 107: Christmas Tree Mafia72 pgs
21 Sept '10MaemukiSWNII: Curse of the Nekomata101 pgs
21 Sept '10CSLSWNII: Curse of the Nekomata101 pgs
21 Sept '10ParamaMini 1016: Quick and Dirty Mafia11 pgs
22 Sept '10VasudeVaMini 986: Beatles Mafia24 pgs
25 Sept '10jmj3000Newbie 92525 pgs
25 Sept '10jmj3000Open 21135 pgs
26 Sept '10Untrod TripodMini 100332 pgsHow to close out a game as scum
30 Sept '10HaylenLadies Night (Lg. Theme)41 pgs
22 Oct '10Lateralus22Mini 1021: Mountainous Mafia43 pgsDay 2 specifically

Also, thanks to TheButtonmen, Fate, Yosarian2, Cogito Ergo Scum, flinter, chamber, and Faraday for your help. :D

"plz don't swear" -- N

Return to “Mafia Discussion”