Theme Test Market

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2257 (isolation #0) » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:36 am

Post by RedCoyote »

Thinking of doing a
Valkyria Chronicles
themed game for my upcoming Mini Theme game. Would anyone be interested? Seeing as it is my first theme game, I probably won't make it too fancy. It definitely won't be "bastardized" or anything like that.

I only have one unique mechanic I want to bring to the game, but I am still hammering out the details. If there are one or two people who have played the video game before, or at the very least know how the battle system works, and are probably not going to want to join a theme game any time soon, PM me and for some setup/mechanic reviewing.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2535 (isolation #1) » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:59 pm

Post by RedCoyote »

There's this idea that's been coming up in my head every so often. I have no idea how it could be implemented in a way that's fun and fair, but I was curious if someone had thought of it/ran something like it before. It would be a game where everyone knows another player's role, but they don't know their own.

Also, Vi, please keep me up to date on the MST3KM developments.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2538 (isolation #2) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:34 pm

Post by RedCoyote »

Domino wrote:
RedCoyote wrote:There's this idea that's been coming up in my head every so often. I have no idea how it could be implemented in a way that's fun and fair, but I was curious if someone had thought of it/ran something like it before. It would be a game where everyone knows another player's role, but they don't know their own.

Also, Vi, please keep me up to date on the MST3KM developments.
Like mini 723?
Oh, yeah, okay. I'll have to give that a read. Thanks, Domino.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2539 (isolation #3) » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:10 am

Post by RedCoyote »

Eh, it was a disappointing.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2549 (isolation #4) » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:28 pm

Post by RedCoyote »

DH, I think that mechanic has a lot of potential, although from your example it sounds like you're trying to make it too complex.
Mafioso 1 is Godfather/Poisoner
Mafioso 2 is Roleblocker/Dayvig
Mafioso 3 is Goon/Roleblocker
That sounds like a very powerful mafia! With what little thought I've put into it, I think it would be beautiful without too many powers. It also might work better as a large game.

---

I'm putting together a mini theme. It's nothing too fancy. 11 players, closed setup, and a large, simple to understand, post restriction mechanic that effects all the players. A reviewer or two would be appreciated.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2554 (isolation #5) » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:36 am

Post by RedCoyote »

Far_Cry, I would love to play a TF2 themed game, especially if it had some neat, team-based mechanics to it. Keep me posted. Not really interested in any of the other ideas personally.

DH, thanks for breaking it down for me a little more. I understand what you're thinking now, and it sounds like a lot of fun. PM me if you decide to run it.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2556 (isolation #6) » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:40 am

Post by RedCoyote »

To be honest I'd be more interested in playing it than modding it, but I'd be happy to help out. :D
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2595 (isolation #7) » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:38 pm

Post by RedCoyote »

AV, The Wire was done recently.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2607 (isolation #8) » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:34 am

Post by RedCoyote »

Max, those all sound like a lot of fun, especially Economic War. Please PM me if you plan on running any of those.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3915 (isolation #9) » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:29 pm

Post by RedCoyote »

In post 3914, SalmonellaDreams wrote:Something similar might have already been run, but how about a Brave New World theme game?

There could be a World Controller role, and every day, he assigns players as either Alphas/Betas/Gammas. There would be a pre-set amount of Alphas/Betas/Gammas depending on the number of players alive. Alphas could be unrestricted, Betas could do everything except vote, and Gammas could be restricted further in some way. Night actions would be unaffected by the World Controller.
:homersimpsonrubbinghisscalpfromanaerialview:

Lol, kidding, I appreciate this idea, but it sounds too confusing for me.

I have something to throw out there... has anyone ever done a theme that was like "gambling" mafia or something? Where people could wager on various things? Like who gets lynched, who has to claim first, X role being in the game, etc? I'm not talking the players themselves; I am talking outside scummers. And then maybe show the odds publically as just a piece of information to throw out there to the players? I've been tinkering with that idea, but I am so bad with numbers and the concept of bookmaking. Or maybe base it on the concept of, like, Intrade? I think those would be fun routes, but I cannot put all the pieces together.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4038 (isolation #10) » Thu May 15, 2014 12:54 pm

Post by RedCoyote »

I have an idea for a mechanic, guys. Stop me if you've heard it before. The town controls the scum's PR and the scum controls the town's PR. Everything operates as normal, but, like, there's a Mafia RB that's controlled by the town and a town JK controlled by the scum. Not necessarily those two roles, but just to give you an idea of what I'm referring to. Has something like that been done before?
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4040 (isolation #11) » Thu May 15, 2014 1:22 pm

Post by RedCoyote »

Not quite an Enabler if I am reading the role right.

As to your first point, well, that's kind of the idea. Does that sound too boring? Ideally the town would try and direct the scum's PR(s) to not hurt the town and vice versa for the scum directing the town's PR(s). I don't think it would be perfect though. But do you think there'd always be someone volunteering as the "guinea pig" to claim VT before the day was up? I kind of think that would bring an interesting risk/reward element to the game. Put yourself in the shoes of a VT in a hypothetical game like that. Should you, as a VT, claim and potentially receive the wrath of every PR in the game? Or should you stay silent in the hope that the PRs aren't used against you? What if there's a vig? Also, would a Goon ever find it advantageous to claim VT in such an environment? If someone claims VT for "guinea pig" sake, does that make them more townie (and therefore, you shouldn't direct PRs toward them?)

Just spitballing here, of course. This idea just came to me this evening.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4042 (isolation #12) » Sat May 17, 2014 7:18 am

Post by RedCoyote »

The results wouldn't be unreliable though. The target would just be controlled by the opponent(s).

Return to “Mafia Discussion”