Newbie Data

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #47 (isolation #0) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:41 pm

Post by Vi »

Counterpoint: Mr. Flay's position seems to be that without power roles Towns are successful at finding scum more through blind luck than hunting. (Is that right?)

This is a statement that bothers me somewhat so I want to ask about it.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #49 (isolation #1) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:43 pm

Post by Vi »

nhammen wrote:
Vi wrote:Counterpoint: Mr. Flay's position seems to be that without power roles Towns are successful at finding scum more through blind luck than hunting. (Is that right?)
I can actually see this, especially in smaller games. There are not enough people to have good connections.
Iiiii'm not sure how that logic works...
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #52 (isolation #2) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:00 pm

Post by Vi »

I'll grant that C9s aren't newbie-friendly IMO.

I'm not sure what to say about the site's overall scumhunting rate tbqh but I'm not opposed to saying it's overrated, especially in newbie games.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #54 (isolation #3) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:04 pm

Post by Vi »

Netopalis wrote:
Mr. Flay wrote:
Vi wrote:Counterpoint: Mr. Flay's position seems to be that without power roles Towns are successful at finding scum more through blind luck than hunting. (Is that right?)

This is a statement that bothers me somewhat so I want to ask about it.
I think we are much worse at 'scumhunting' than we think we are (people like to claim absurdly high accuracy rates, when in truth most "good" players get maybe 5-10% better than random). I also think it's easier overall to scumhunt in larger games, like nhammen says. The lynches can make smaller games extremely swingy; look at the first post for perfect examples. In a bigger game, you get more 'misses', and it comes down to that 5-10% skill, more than random chance.
An interesting idea might be to see how individual players do at scumhunting vs. towns. I wonder if perhaps something in the debate process is hurting our success rates. Perhaps we could run a test where we survey players in between day/night phases and see where their head is at, and how accurate each individual is vs. the crowd.
There's no "I" in "team", but there IS one in "Vig".

The question then becomes how you measure individual scumhunting.
The SWA I keep on my wiki (stolen from Mr. Flay) isn't really perfect tbh - I have to compromise for lynches even if I don't like them, or I think someone is scum but can't get them lynched, etc.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”