Not reading your role PM

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (isolation #0) » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:44 am

Post by Ectomancer »

Sopianae wrote:The "spirit of the game" argument holds no water. Strategically, it's far better not to read your role PM. We're not talking about ethics, morals, or whatever, we're talking about strategy. All's fair in love and mafia.
The "play to your win condition"
does
apply here. You can't play to it if you don't know what it is. It is absolutely necessary for you to be aware of your alignment to fulfill the "play to your win condition" rules of mafia. Just because it is possible to ignore it and still be responding to a thread is a point completely irrelevant when determining whether you are actually playing the game.
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (isolation #1) » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:46 am

Post by Ectomancer »

P.S. - Quag that's your answer too. You aren't playing the game, you're just responding to a thread that should be limited to game participants.
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #65 (isolation #2) » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:13 am

Post by Ectomancer »

Quagmire wrote:
Ectomancer wrote:
Sopianae wrote:The "spirit of the game" argument holds no water. Strategically, it's far better not to read your role PM. We're not talking about ethics, morals, or whatever, we're talking about strategy. All's fair in love and mafia.
The "play to your win condition"
does
apply here. You can't play to it if you don't know what it is. It is absolutely necessary for you to be aware of your alignment to fulfill the "play to your win condition" rules of mafia. Just because it is possible to ignore it and still be responding to a thread is a point completely irrelevant when determining whether you are actually playing the game.
See, that's bullshit. Let's consider the 3 situations here, and see if you're actually playing to win:

You're town-aligned

Of course this means you're playing to win, as you're scumhunting and playing like a townsperson in general.

You're scum-aligned

This still means you're playing to win D1, as you're masking yourself very effectively as a townsperson, which will set you up for future days and it deceives the rest of the town, assuming you're doing a good job of being townie of course.

You're third-party aligned

See Scum-aligned.
No, your response is bullshit. You are only
assuming
that you know the win condition of any of the possible 3 groups you've listed. In addition, you are altering the precondition of playing to win to be "play to win day 1", which is absolutely not playing to win the game. Even then, in your ignorance you are wrong.

Role PM says "You are scum with player X. You win if you and player x are the only 2 players remaining. You lose if player x dies."

lynch player X!

Congratulations. You just lost the game.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”