Best Role Ideas?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Raskol
Raskol
Goon
Raskol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #340 (isolation #0) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:13 pm

Post by Raskol »

You are an
Internet Dating Site

Each night, you may PM me the names of two players who will be checked for a match based on
our proven 29 dimensions of compatibility
whether or not they share the same win condition. It's well known that true love is better formed between people who aren't trying to kill each other, right? I will PM you either "match" if they are alignment compatible, or "no match" otherwise.

Being happily married, you may not send in your own name.

Legal Disclaimer: Facilitating necrophilia is against the law. Sending in the name of a dead person will get your license revoked and your powers removed, rendering you a mere vanilla townie, and results will not be sent. This applies to persons previously killed or lynched as well as those killed the night you submit your request.

You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.
Raskol
Raskol
Goon
Raskol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #346 (isolation #1) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:02 am

Post by Raskol »

Raskol wrote:You are an
Internet Dating Site

Each night, you may PM me the names of two players who will be checked for a match based on
our proven 29 dimensions of compatibility
whether or not they share the same win condition. It's well known that true love is better formed between people who aren't trying to kill each other, right? I will PM you either "match" if they are alignment compatible, or "no match" otherwise.

Being happily married, you may not send in your own name.

Legal Disclaimer: Facilitating necrophilia is against the law. Sending in the name of a dead person will get your license revoked and your powers removed, rendering you a mere vanilla townie, and results will not be sent. This applies to persons previously killed or lynched as well as those killed the night you submit your request.

You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.
Could also be done without removing powers, just give no result if the player is dead.

Basically it's just an investigator that can tell whether two players are aligned together or not. Restrictions on self-match and dead-match prevent the ability from being used intentionally as a cop investigation. Of course, players can still die/flip after they've been matched.

I checked after posting and was surprised not to see anything like this in the Wiki. Can anyone link me to games in which something like this was used? Or if it hasn't been, why not?
Raskol
Raskol
Goon
Raskol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #348 (isolation #2) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:13 am

Post by Raskol »

Yeah, you'd have to plan a setup around it. But it would be interesting, I think.

Still, maybe it should go in the other thread. :mrgreen:
Raskol
Raskol
Goon
Raskol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #350 (isolation #3) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:13 am

Post by Raskol »

Well, I definitely wouldn't put it in a normal game.

I think it would be less strong the more factions and unique win conditions there are, though. In a big theme with more than three factions I don't think it would be devastatingly powerful. I haven't thought it through thoroughly, though---just came to mind while watching a terribly cheesy movie on TV where vampires were running a dating service (of death).
Last edited by Raskol on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raskol
Raskol
Goon
Raskol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #352 (isolation #4) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:35 am

Post by Raskol »

Well, yes, a non-match followed by a town-flip would out a scum. On the other hand, it would require a townie to die in order to get the flip. In that case it turned out to be pretty much a delayed cop guilty which is dependent on a specific townie dying.

A match, though...well, it will mean either both town or both scum, but to find out which for sure you'll need a flip from one of the players. If the town lynches one of them to find out, they'll either get a confirmed townie at the cost of a townie or a double scum lynch. The confirm for the price of a death isn't terribly overpowering---the double scum lynch probably would be devastating to whichever scum faction catches it, though. I think you could set a game up to where it wouldn't unbalance things, though it is admittedly pretty powerful.
Raskol
Raskol
Goon
Raskol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #356 (isolation #5) » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:53 am

Post by Raskol »

Elephant Hell wrote:You are a
Texan Gunsmith
. Each night you may target a player; if that player doesn't have a gun, you will give them one. You win when all threats to the town are dead and at least one pro-town player is still alive.

Note: players who are given a gun gain a 1-shot nightkill. Players who already have guns include regular Mafiosi, Cops, Gunsmiths, Jailkeepers, Paranoid Gun Owners, Vigs and any other role possibly related to guns.
Are they informed if the player already has a gun?

Is the recipient told where they got the gun?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”