Wow... harsh

This forum is for discussion related to the game.

Do you know that mafia is funner when you don't get lynched for small mistakes?

Yes. (reasons here)
55%
No. (reasons here)
45%

Total votes: 38

Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #17 (isolation #0) » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:13 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

CC is silly.

When Fircoal is like the best player in any given game, you know the site has problems.

Fircoals a decent player, but he would get frogstomped by this sites elite.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #43 (isolation #1) » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:50 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Hey glork, wanna invade?
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #57 (isolation #2) » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:22 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

animorpherv1 wrote:I will give
anyone
to find a site that takes mafia MORE seriously than MS.

If you can't, then MS mafia people cannot lynch people over small things (like grammar, using the wrong name etc..)

If you do, I will stay in MS mafia.

You have 24 hours.
GTFO
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #63 (isolation #3) » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

I don't think the problem here with speed relates to the seriousness of the game. I think the problem relates to three things.

First, a problem which has been described as "too many leaders, not enough sheep." Players are too focused on the ONE lynch that they think is the best, and are unwilling to follow someone elses cases to the point where games get bogged down into 3-4 players each pushing for separate cases, and none of them willing to compromise to get one player lynched.

Second, I think there's a serious problem with fear. People are too afraid to go out on a limb and hammer/lynch someone if they are not 100% certain that player is scum. Since you are not going to get perfect information ever, especially in the early game, this attitude leads to very timid town play, and very often scum players who should have been lynched are not. There is a very strong propensity on this site to be afraid of what Vollkan has described as "the mafia boogeyman" aka a speedlynch misslynch, which is something which I have never seen happen in my 30-50 odd games on this site.

Lastly, I think there is a severe over value put on "Information" on this site. Players are very very concerned about discussing to the point where discussing probably doesn't help the town anymore, and quite possibly hurts it. Discussion can be a good thing, but when it is given priority over a good lynch, there is a problem, and that is continually the case on this site. Players are wont to not be willing to lynch anyone until deadline, which is stupid. The prevailing logic is "We have this time to discuss, we might as well use it." At the point where a lynch has already demonstrated itself as probably the best that is going to happen that day, you should do it, and not sit around waiting for a deadline to force you to do it.

I don't know how to resolve these problems on an aggregate level, but I do know that I do my part to avoid them. You can too.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #67 (isolation #4) » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:12 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Just because we disagree on gambits you think my grasp of mafia theory is rubbish? I would say I'm one of the top mafia theorists on this site, even though I"m not one of the best players. (all modesty aside.)
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #70 (isolation #5) » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:18 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

What else, I don't recall?
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #72 (isolation #6) » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:32 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Link?
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #74 (isolation #7) » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:33 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

SilverPhoenix wrote:
TSQ wrote:There is a very strong propensity on this site to be afraid of what Vollkan has described as "the mafia boogeyman" aka a speedlynch misslynch, which is something which I have never seen happen in my 30-50 odd games on this site.
There are some, however, who would say that a speed mislynch would actually be
beneficial
to town, and that is why I oppose speed lynches of any kind early game. Because lynching someone that quickly makes no sense whatsoever to me. Because these people exist that think speedlynching is a-ok, I will continue to actively be against it. I would say the main reason it hasn't happened as much is because of the strong propensity against it, but that is probably overreaching.
Glork wrote:Also, more mods need to institute faster deadlines. I am a big fan of two- or three-week days, maximum. It makes people make decisions and play more quickly.
Agreed. Many more games are doing this now, and the game I was in that this was instituted turned out great. I will certainly do this when I mod my first game.
You miss my point. I call speedlynching the mafia boogeyman, because despite the fearmongering that people often cite it for, I have never ever seen it happen. It's not a legitimate harm, because chances of it happening are so remote.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #83 (isolation #8) » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:02 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

I'm not familiar with that specific game. Could you perhaps extrapolate on the details?
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #85 (isolation #9) » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:07 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Seems like quicklynch would be more hazardous to scum than town in that situation, which enforces my point. Let me guess, one of the scum got quicklynched d1?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”