Why don’t more mods allow hydras?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Why don’t more mods allow hydras?

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:15 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

There’s so many games I’d /in for but don’t because either I might be afk for a week or a game has too complex mech but no hydra setups don’t accommodate players in either situation. Now I understand some players don’t want hydras in their games but it can be put to a vote? I just find it incredibly frustrating because I absolutely love to hydra. For me, it makes playing mafia so much more fun to have someone to talk about the game privately too.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #2 (isolation #1) » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:31 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 1, RH9 wrote:I think that it might be because hydras take up a single slot while if the players in the hydra split, they'd take up more slots.
This is assuming that we're talking about neither Normal nor Secret Alt games.
I’m not, I understand why normals don’t allow them and I’m fine with flying solo in secret alt games but in larges especially where mech complexity is involved, I worry I’ll just get overwhelmed and confused if I can’t discuss this with someone else. Hell, if the no hydra mods even allowed 2 heads with one silent one, that would still be better than playing solo but optimally I prefer someone who’s active if possible and pretty much that most of my hydra experiences have been really good.

I also find playing in a hydra a lot more fun, so this greatly saddens me. :(
But mainly I like talking about the game with someone I know I can trust.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #9 (isolation #2) » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:07 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 8, Dannflor wrote:I don't find hydras very fun to play with personally

I'm fine with them existing and there being games for them existing as a concept but I prefer that they are not the norm
Only games I am virulently anti-hydra is either in Lovers’ type setups or in dance games, for super obvious reasons.

Not everyone is good at mech, I usually suck at it and I like having someone I can trust to discuss the game with - ESPECIALLY if complex mech involved. So even allowing silent heads would be better than not allowing hydras.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #12 (isolation #3) » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:05 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

There are some sites that have a hydra mentorship thing. It differs from a typical hydra because one of the heads is an experienced player, the other is a relative newbie. It also functions a bit differently. I recall when I first started playing mafia that I tried to get into one of those mentorshipthings but it unfortunately got canceled for whatever reason.

I have found however. that the experience of playing in hydras has done wonders for my learning and understanding of the game.

I also think that a lot of people with rl time issues would play more if there were more games allowing hydras. But for me, there’s also the mech issue. That has been something I’ve been really struggling to master ever since I started playing and I have asked how I can improve on this aspect of my play without playing in a hydra and so far, no one has offered me another alternative to this. Would anyone seriously find a hydra with one silent head a big problem?

And how do I get better at mech?
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #13 (isolation #4) » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:07 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I’m pretty sure I made a thread awhile back asking for mech advice that pretty much got ignored.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #22 (isolation #5) » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:39 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 21, Meuh wrote:I mean with the site already struggling to fill games, having a higher density of players within less slots probably wouldn't help.
But what about people who aren’t signing up for games that don’t allow hydras? I would play more games if there were more hydra games.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #26 (isolation #6) » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:55 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 25, MegAzumarill wrote:I'll chime in with the take of the mechanics complexity argument:

Normal games has recently been changed for some games to be labeled as simple with very basic mechanics in play which should serve as a good alternative for someone who doesn't like to/ struggles with more complex mechanics.
Good to know but I also really like themes and experimental setups so long as they’re not excessively mech complex but I want to be good at mech complex games, not to avoid them.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly

Return to “Mafia Discussion”