JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #233 (isolation #0) » Wed May 20, 2015 10:38 am

Post by JDodge »

Pop me in for Big Brother, once again using the Deterministic Big Brother format by the lovely Kelly Chen. Player number is to be decided and will honestly probably not be completely decided until I get applications since the game is very easily scaleable since it's just about spending points. Will probably be run on the Jon Kelley account.
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #234 (isolation #1) » Wed May 20, 2015 10:49 am

Post by JDodge »

Also, I might decide at the last minute to run Murder in Small Town X instead, which would be 10 contestants and an undetermined number of non-contestant actors.
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #235 (isolation #2) » Wed May 20, 2015 11:12 am

Post by JDodge »

Actually, just make my queue for Murder in Small Town N (10 players, 1-15 non-player "actors") with co-moderator Flameaxe.

A murder has occurred in the quiet town of Pierce, New Hampshire. A small little village, the crime has sent the entire town into a frenzy. Can our investigators work their way through the web of lies, deceit, and small-town politics to uncover the murderer before they're hunted down one by one as part of his twisted game?
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #237 (isolation #3) » Wed May 20, 2015 1:02 pm

Post by JDodge »

In post 236, Cephrir wrote:I think 10 players is small enough that you can bypass the queue.

I was under the impression that the non-player actors (who are still a crucial part of the game, though they're not competing) would push it over the limit, but if you're not counting them in it, I'll gladly bypass the queue.
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #240 (isolation #4) » Wed May 20, 2015 1:07 pm

Post by JDodge »

In post 238, Cephrir wrote:I think it would also be likely to draw a reasonably different crowd (and managing this crowd's commitments is around 60% of the point really), so you should be fine. If you struggle to find signups, let me know, but I don't think you will.

(and though the nonplayers play a significant role, I'm imagining it's not a huge time commitment for them)

Alright, will do. Thanks.
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #242 (isolation #5) » Wed May 20, 2015 5:27 pm

Post by JDodge »

In post 241, Narninian wrote:
In post 239, Save The Dragons wrote:
In post 234, JDodge wrote:Murder in Small Town X

I think the real question is do you take /pre-ins

this

No, we'll be doing applications, but I'll gladly keep a list of people to inform once we're ready to go.
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #469 (isolation #6) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:55 am

Post by JDodge »

i feel like the us vs them mentality of the drama that's been practically outlined in big, bold print by a lot of the parties involved is indicative of a bigger problem of a community that's generally split into factions than it is welcoming and hospitable

i'd throw my hat into the ring so to speak on any large game queue dealio guy as a neutral, detached party, but no one would ever believe that i'm a neutral, detached party regardless on if i am or not
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #470 (isolation #7) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:00 am

Post by JDodge »

as i am clearly and obviously the best choice to be supreme rulerczar of the known world and/or known mishmash, please take the time to watch my acceptance speech

stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #475 (isolation #8) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:15 am

Post by JDodge »

actually my real question would be whether or not a system of potentially multiple people would be more fitting for this

i could totally get on board working with someone like xof as vice-queue person, i've been biden my time waiting for something like this even though my credentials palin comparison
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #488 (isolation #9) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:50 am

Post by JDodge »

The point in this case once again being that it doesn't matter where the advertisement took place - to my knowledge it was in a Skype chat consisting mostly of the standard mishmash community. You broke the spirit of the rule and are justifying it by saying you didn't break the letter of it, which is technically true. If anyone was arguing whether or not that was true that'd be relevant. What people are arguing is whether or not it was a right thing to do, and thus making it an issue of the ethics of advertising for an off-site game and potentially diluting/sniping/however you want to put it the player pool for games on this site, which in the case of that particular rule in this application it was brought up would BE to preserve said player base. In that sense, you
did
break it but are instead of apologizing or otherwise making any sort of effort to soothe/calm those who are upset over it, are invoking a technicality as to why you are not in the wrong.
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #489 (isolation #10) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:54 am

Post by JDodge »

tl;dr no one actually cares whether or not what you did was right, wrong, or indifferent. People care about how they were potentially affected by it and are upset because of how they feel they were treated in their legitimate annoyance at it. In response, what was gotten was a bunch of lip service about how it wasn't wrong instead of daring to be a big enough and mature enough person to admit any potential fault on their own end and actually try to come to a rational and intelligent solution. Quite frankly, it's pathetic.
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #494 (isolation #11) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:07 am

Post by JDodge »

In post 490, BipolarChemist wrote:I've actually apologized a number of times for it, mostly privately, because I'm not someone who likes to discuss drama in public.

I am sorry that this is coming across as an attempt to snipe players from this playerbase, it wasn't my intention, and if it hurt anything, I am sorry for that. Did not mean it in that way. I was desperate for a player and I knew of a skype chat that had a bunch of people that liked Survivor. I've been fairly out of the loop in MS Survivor since I was banned from Arkham, and really I didn't know when games were happening or anything, I had assumed it was like the middle of Arkham and it wouldn't affect anything except give someone a chance to have fun with some Survivor. Really I just didn't consider that it might affect a community and I'm sorry about that. I just wanted to have fun and hopefully let others have fun.

Unfortunately when it became public you kind of missed your chance, and I think with that things on it can probably be laid to rest, no?
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #496 (isolation #12) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:24 am

Post by JDodge »

In post 495, BipolarChemist wrote:I hope it can. Like, I really just wanna be chill and have fun with a community. This seems messy and gross and can't we all just have beers and soda and pizza parties. Like the square pizzas. I loved those.

To put it in the most sickening way possible, all of this would probably be avoided if people were a bit more willing to share their pizzas with other people as opposed to just people who they'd put into a box as friends.
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #504 (isolation #13) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:45 pm

Post by JDodge »

I wish there was a simple method to track what players are in what games without breaking anonymity, even with a third-party. If so we could just do like a 2 games per
player
limit and run it like the actual mafia queue system.

I also feel that limiting moderators to only be in the moderator group of one game in the queue at a time would trim the size and help fix things.
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #527 (isolation #14) » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:29 pm

Post by JDodge »

In post 526, CuddlyCaucasian wrote:I don't know, I modded Colosseum and Arkham back-to-back (technically they were going at the same time at one point) and modded Colosseum under a month after NAH ended, so I don't think there should really be time restrictions. But I agree that only near-finished games should be formally added to the queue, otherwise it's only a list of ideas.

I would say that the point of time restrictions wouldn't be your workload as much as spreading the wealth, so to speak.
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #530 (isolation #15) » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Post by JDodge »

In post 529, CuddlyCaucasian wrote:Ah okay, that makes sense. Hogging the queue is always one of my main concerns though, but it's usually the case that just no one else has games ready to run. I'm not sure if me hogging the queue is keeping other people from trying to design games though, which is a legitimate possibility I suppose.

Well here's the thing - if you restrict the queue to only finished games, and 1 queue per mod at a time, then you'll either A) continue to have volume because it's true that no one else has games ready to run, or B) not have to worry about people not designing games because you're "hogging the queue" (as unlikely as that is). There really is no downside to either scenario you describe with further restriction.
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #565 (isolation #16) » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:30 pm

Post by JDodge »

In post 563, Cephrir wrote:I don't think concurrent games are a good idea. Some players will try to play both; this will end badly. If that is not permitted, it will still at best result in both of the relevant games having lower quality casts.

Personally I prefer letting people decide for themselves what they are and aren't capable of as more intelligent policy than attempting to babysit them, but that may just be personal preference.
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #566 (isolation #17) » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:30 pm

Post by JDodge »

In post 564, Klick wrote:I agree with that, but couldn't find the words to put it with. We have a very limited supply of contestants as is, so splitting into two running games at a time will only weaken signups.

Did you not read the part where she outright said "if our playerbase can support it"?
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #571 (isolation #18) » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by JDodge »

In post 570, Klick wrote:
In post 566, JDodge wrote:
In post 564, Klick wrote:I agree with that, but couldn't find the words to put it with. We have a very limited supply of contestants as is, so splitting into two running games at a time will only weaken signups.

Did you not read the part where she outright said "if our playerbase can support it"?

Um... yes, I did? I just know from participation in said playerbase that it can't.

Did you not read the part where it said "in the future"?

Do you feel that the playerbase can only shrink? Because I can say from running the Song Contest that things with any playerbase on this site are A) seasonal, and B) in constant flux. There is no basis nor intelligent reason to assume a complete lack of growth in the future.
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #602 (isolation #19) » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:01 am

Post by JDodge »

With the institution of staggered games and other new systems making it likely for me to ever reach the top of the queue before the "point at which I am moving cross-country", I would like to announce
Deterministic Big Brother 3
. Unlike previous games, it will be anonymous, however like previous games it will be run on a point spending-based system as opposed to a challenge-based system for deciding HoH and PoV. Moderated by myself (willing to take on 1 co-mod), format originally by Kelly Chen.
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #603 (isolation #20) » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:14 pm

Post by JDodge »

For further information:

Deterministic Big Brother
is a game originally run on-site by Kelly Chen. It was based off of creating a more strategic game through the removal of any random elements - because all gameplay is done through spending points, it is a completely and 100% tactical game. My later version retained the strategic elements but placed the game more in-step with the show itself. This version will be a further refinement/update of my version, placed more in-step with the current MS social game meta by the addition of anonymity.

Number of players will be kept a secret and has been provided to xof for safekeeping.

For past versions of it run successfully through to completion, please see the original by Kelly Chen or the second run by me (as Jon Kelley).

I am actively looking for potential co-mods. Since this game mostly just requires writing/administration, this is perfect for someone who's been interested in trying out modding one of these but has not actively done so - as such and to provide both a service to the community AND to
inflate my own ego
play into my love of teaching, I am more interested in grabbing a co-mod with
little to no experience
than I am in grabbing someone who already knows the ropes (although if I grab someone completely new, I'll likely grab a second just in case).

Game will be FULLY ready to run by the end of the weekend; all time in queue will be used for minor adjustments, and potentially running scenarios to balance the game as well as possible.
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #608 (isolation #21) » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:56 am

Post by JDodge »

In post 606, xofelf wrote:The way queue is organized has been changed. Now each game will be put into the following lists: Complete/next, Looking for comods, and ideas phases/nowhere near running. Games can be moved in and out of lists as need be. I will be keeping track of the order games entered queue elsewhere. If you have been working on any games and their designs at all, and didn't enter queue before because you thought it would never get to you, hopefully this new organization will ease that worry and make it easier to time things out :).

There WILL be a thread that is just queue sometime next week. I'm giving more time for people to answer the poll and games to be running again before any additional changes are made.

on a similar timing note, it'll likely be a lot more intelligent to "lock" a game as next once it reaches the top of the queue in order to prevent an issue of "oh i hit the top of the queue so i'll get to run it soon and---" bumped.
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #629 (isolation #22) » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:32 pm

Post by JDodge »

In post 628, CuddlyCaucasian wrote:I'm just putting this out there, not doing it or anything, but can someone please run a non anon survivor with just as many players as possible??

This may be an idea to rip for Deterministic BB 3 (I know it's not survivor, but still).

At this time I'd like to add
Aronis
and
JDGA
to my co-mod list for DBB3 and note that it is fully and 100% ready to run aside from the polishing and the window dressing.
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #641 (isolation #23) » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:03 pm

Post by JDodge »

In post 640, Drench wrote:and jd is there

I WAS THERE FOR YOU DRAGONITE BUDDY

WHEN NO ONE ELSE WAS

CARRYING YOUR ASS THROUGH CHALLENGES

KNOW HOW HARD THAT SHIT WAS? STILL DON'T HAVE ARMS
stream

Return to “Social Game Archive”