Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #35 (isolation #0) » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:10 pm

Post by DeasVail »

In post 27, Nyalite wrote:I don't think this process should be conducted in the way Ani's quote laided out in the OP. This should not be viewed as analogous to the Mafia game review board. A reviewers job should not be to scour over every challenge and twist. This review process must respect the right of the mod to create their own game. The way this process is heading it makes previously successful mods gatekeepers. This process should only be used as the most cursory check to make sure the game creators understand and are willing to make good on their commitments. I think we must have faith in the mods themselves that once they understand their commitment they can execute on it.
While I agree that mods should create their own game, I don't think it would hurt for the reviewer to make recommendations regarding the clarity of challenges and things like that, if the reviewer is willing.

Regarding other things, I feel that it's fairly widely agreed upon that a reviewer should check a mod's commitment to the game through having another mod able to take over if need be, having back-ups, pre-prepared posts etc. I haven't noticed any disagreement with this (except limiting the player pool, which I'll post my thoughts on later), and I agree that it's a good idea myself. The more subjective side of things, whether the game is fun enough and brings enough that's new to the table, are things that I feel are too difficult to have an objective approach to. Different people have different ideas of what's fun. Different people are more aggressive with their opinions than others. Similar to what I've suggested earlier, I would like to see a reviewer make recommendations regarding challenges, but not the development of a 'Bend to my will or your game won't run!' attitude that I think others are worried about as well, because when it comes to things like fun, and even things like clarity, it's going to be subjective.

Regarding the limitation of the player pool, I don't think you need many people reviewing a particular game (I personally would be happy with one, but opinions may vary). I also think that the group of possible reviewers shouldn't be too small so that no one feels they must not play a game in order to be available to review. I would feel happy with anyone that's played a few survivor games reviewing but again, opinions may vary.

*Edited for clarity.

Return to “Social Game Archive”