Nicholas1024
Nicholas1024
The Ides of Mash
Nicholas1024
The Ides of Mash
The Ides of Mash

Post Post #12 (isolation #0) » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:40 am

Post by Nicholas1024 »

I get your point, but at the same time, I think it's extremely important that a survivor game be properly designed and run. Joining a survivor is a significant commitment by the player, and it's not uncommon for the most dedicated to spend multiple hours per day managing the social game, even before challenges come into play. If the challenges, or worse, the twists involved in a game are disappointing, players can lose motivation, which will hurt their gameplay, and typically worsen the overall experience for all involved. Furthermore, as Xalxe mentioned, there's a huge amount of new blood looking to run their own games. The Mish Mash community can't really run more than one (or maybe two) survivors at the same time, so running your own game forces any other planned games to wait for the three or so months it takes your game to finish. While this shouldn't stop you from trying to run a game, I just really want to emphasize that as much of a time commitment you put into designing it, you have a duty to the players, spectators, and anyone else involved to try to make it the best game possible.

Finally, I want to point out that getting people to review your game is extremely simple. Just message Kloud, or Ani, or myself, or Xofelf, or Xalxe, or any experienced moderator, and ask if they'd be interested in reviewing or comodding your game. If not, no problem, simply ask someone else. If they are, just link them to whatever notes you have written up, and ask for their thoughts. A second person can look at your game objectively in ways that you personally can't, and they're often a great aid in coming up with challenges. As someone who's designed and run multiple games, I can confidently say that both Middle Earth and Arkham wouldn't have been nearly as memorable without the aid of my comods.

That said, I will apologize for some of my comments, I was exaggerating to make a point, and I recognize that I went overboard at times.
Nicholas1024
Nicholas1024
The Ides of Mash
Nicholas1024
The Ides of Mash
The Ides of Mash

Post Post #31 (isolation #1) » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:28 pm

Post by Nicholas1024 »

In post 26, Jal wrote:
The other set of issues which was highlighted in Arkham, is whether the integrity of Survivor games themselves are being upheld.
Arkham had a mod account which had a pre-determined time to be executed and at least one challenge where the outcome was decided beforehand. That stuff should not be allowed to exist in a Survivor game.
Just saying, but Arkham was advertised as the kind of crazy game where the normal rules are broken. The twists present in Arkham should not be considered standard in any way.

Return to “Social Game Archive”