[Let's Scrutinize Games] Idol hunts

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: She/Her

[Let's Scrutinize Games] Idol hunts

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:59 pm

Post by Gypyx »

Bootleg version of Haschel's threads

so, basically, now that 3 houses is over, here's the thread i promised to make : what does everyone think about idol hunts?

i'm asking that because personally, i always felt like they were a weird part of survivor, both from a newbie pov, and a somewhat experienced guy pov

For a Newbie : generally, idol hunts are very unituitive, like, i'm not even sure that the beginner's guides we've got mention them, and another thing is that it's hard to know where to look, while experienced players, who have encountered many idol have a significant headstart on the search in my eyes

But, for Non-newbies, i gotta say that i find them a bit unintuitive too, like, most of the time, searching an idol is a shot in the dark, you don't know if there's one that you can get, you don't know if you've already been beaten to the idol, and, if you *don't* wanna be late, you have to basically give up a good fraction of the early chatting, which is an interesting risk reward mechanic but at the same time does anyone really excite themselves over "boy oh boy i can't wait to search links / missing letters in the rule post / just click everywhere hoping that i land correctly"

so yeah, idol hunts, i ain't a fan but what do you all think ? Are they actually good and i'm an idiot? Can we fix them? (i got ideas but i'd like to see a bit of discussion first)
White Flag : Carebear Edition is ongoing ! (13/13) hit me up if you wanna get on the priority replacement list / spectate

bottom text
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #8 (isolation #1) » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:19 am

Post by Gypyx »

In post 7, Malkon05 wrote:It might also be nice to show some examples of idols that have been hidden in the past and how they were found.
that would be a briliant update to our beginner guides now that you mention it yeah
In post 3, Shadoweh wrote:
In post 0, Gypyx wrote:Bootleg version of Haschel's threads
But, for Non-newbies, i gotta say that i find them a bit unintuitive too, like, most of the time, searching an idol is a shot in the dark, you don't know if there's one that you can get, you don't know if you've already been beaten to the idol, and, if you *don't* wanna be late, you have to basically give up a good fraction of the early chatting, which is an interesting risk reward mechanic but at the same time does anyone really excite themselves over "boy oh boy i can't wait to search links / missing letters in the rule post / just click everywhere hoping that i land correctly"
>.> y-yeah who would do that

the Steel Blade idol was really good in terms of both tribes knowing it existed and a clear way to get it
Anna's Shop idol would have been better if more then one person got instructions, like the first person from CoS/FEA imo. 'everyone' would prob be too many.
Does the guide not say 'start the game looking for an idol there's usually one on game start'

haha lol, glad to see that didn't go unnoticed, but yeah, point still stands imo that like, the fact that way more than half the game willingly / unwillingly didn't interact with the mechanic is a bit sad
White Flag : Carebear Edition is ongoing ! (13/13) hit me up if you wanna get on the priority replacement list / spectate

bottom text

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”