Let's Study Games - Redemption Mechanics

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #71 (isolation #0) » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:30 am

Post by Fluminator »

In post 23, Haschel Cedricson wrote:I'll say what I was going for with the two returnee twists I designed.

Terra Incognito from Survivor Civilization was ripped off wholesale from Arkham City's Death Row. In the latter game, I as Clock King got my ass handed to me because I didn't know what to do anymore. Death Row served as a wakeup call and if it had not been for the worst Riddler ever I think I would have improved. I wanted to recreate that experience in a game that I knew was going to cast a number of new/nearly-new players.
I forgot you were Clock King. Best ghost partner ever until you got radja voted out on me behind my back lol.

Although Aronis was also a pretty good ghost partner to Snakes leaking literally everything Snakes said to us xD

To keep this on topic, I liked Death Row and gave all the early boots a pretty cool arc. Returnees came back before merge so the endgame didn't get affected that much.
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #72 (isolation #1) » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:40 am

Post by Fluminator »

In post 58, DeathNote wrote:This site can't handle returnees as a concept so they probably shouldn't exist. I've returned to games twice now and both times felt like hitting a brick wall when you come back. Players alive have no respect for this mechanic and normally that's because people feel safe in their own gameplay so there isn't an attempt to use the mechanic to help themselves.

I just don't think players are going to ever take this mechanic seriously so maybe we just let it die. Now doing variations of it with the fittest challenge isn't bad because the player who gets voted out isn't missing out on gameplay. It's akin to being sent to exile.

Bottom line though, in order for this to work, we have to have a majority of players being willing to accept it as a feasible way to win and I don't think we are there.
I'm way out of the loop on recent MS history, but is this actually true? Has a returnee made it to the end and lost because they were a returnee before?
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #74 (isolation #2) » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:55 am

Post by Fluminator »

Underrated moment was Cephrir surviving a tribe specifically designed to kill him. Poison Ivy was not as fortunate.
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #112 (isolation #3) » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:35 am

Post by Fluminator »

I remember Riddler didn't show up the whole game except the one round he showed up to vote Clock King before logging off again until he was unanimously booted lol.

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games [Big Brother: Digital Distortion Now Accepting Sign-ups!]”