[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
JeanDarc
JeanDarc
Goon
JeanDarc
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8354 (isolation #0) » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:36 am

Post by JeanDarc »

Fancy Pants7p, Day* start, with 4 variations (see the town PR variations)

2x Mafia Goons

3x Vanilla Townies
1x Town Cop

Town PR Variations:
1x Town Doctor OR
1x Town Gunsmith OR
1x Town Bomb OR
1x Town Oracle

Town PR Descriptions:

1x Town Doctor
- Your standard, night-saving Doc**
1x Town Gunsmith
- During the night, Gunsmith can choose to gun another play (cannot target self) or no action. The recipient of gun will be notified by Mod PM on start of the following day. Gunned player can choose to use the gun to kill a player at any point during day by prompting the Mod - either PM, or Mod's specified communication - i.e. bold text. This action is instant and the killed player is prevented from voting/posting.
1x Town Bomb
- Passive. During the night, if this player is killed, one of the players who attempted the kill is also killed. (i.e. kamikaze). This does not affect investigative or visiting roles (i.e. Cop, Doc, GS).
1x Town Oracle
- During the night, Oracle can choose a target player to be revealed once Oracle is killed. The target can be changed at any night. This applies for both night kills and day lynches/kills. (Note that in this mini setup, lynching an Oracle is redundant.)

Special Mod/Setup Rules:

1. *Day start, but D1 is discussion-only - i.e. no lynch. This gives opportunities on both Mafia and Town PR on using educated guess for their N1 actions.
2. **Doctor save is undisclosed. (the public announcement by Mod is the only clue) - obviously, Mafia will know if their kill was saved, especially for N1
3. Due to the mylo in 1v3 or 2v4 situation, Mafia would ideally keep the town pool largest (i.e. a lynch in 1v3 is better than 1v2, probability-wise) in the absence of Cop by choosing NK at nights. This can be "mirrored" by town's decision to NL (no lynch) during days until Mafia decides to kill. At any point, Mod can specify a must-lynch condition during the day to help with game progress.

Misc. Notes and Comments:

- the original setup that inspired me to make this has a Night start. However, having one townie eliminated from the game prior to D1 start is discouraging so I compromised (without changing the integral 7p setup) for a Day start.
- this is a fast-paced, PR-heavy setup. Depending on the night kills, it often turns into a scumhunting war.
- almost always, there will be PR claims with cc from Mafia. Getting rid of all PR's by Mafia by D3 puts the game into scumhunting mode with "no clear" town player who gets to hammer.
JeanDarc
JeanDarc
Goon
JeanDarc
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8357 (isolation #1) » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:20 am

Post by JeanDarc »

In post 8356, MarioManiac4 wrote:
In post 8355, Level 1-1 wrote:Jean, seeing as we already tried Classic and it was heavily imbalanced I would suggest adding 2 villagers/blues/VTs.

this was me

Yeah, I found that bigger setups are more likely to be balanced in this setting. I am used to the mini, tight setups that sorta runs through the day and nights until the last MYLO/LYLO situations.

7p setups are definitely tricky I think.
JeanDarc
JeanDarc
Goon
JeanDarc
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8362 (isolation #2) » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:43 pm

Post by JeanDarc »

In post 8358, Tatsuya Kaname wrote:I think I saw this setup somewhere...

Care to elaborate? I already mentioned in my post that it was inspired by an existing setup.
If there is a similar one, I would be very interested to look into it and analyze (and probably would have before posting my setup if I knew of it beforehand)
JeanDarc
JeanDarc
Goon
JeanDarc
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8367 (isolation #3) » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:33 am

Post by JeanDarc »

In post 8366, Edosurist wrote:I'll take a look at that, then. :/

Edit: It's pretty similar, mainly with flavor added and a larger player list.
Thanks. Scrapped.

Interesting mechanic for sure - the Chosen deal with veto/randomly chosen.
Also it's cool to note from the wiki that a lone Chosen townie was considered overpowered - more or less a demi-god role that is hidden to self, but Mafia will be hell-bent on trying to lynch this role.

However I think in the effort to make it balanced, the 2-chosen townie setup is now tilting towards scums because of the severe lack of info and disability for town to claim PR as needed (And drawing out cc)

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”