[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #4464 (isolation #0) » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:43 pm

Post by Tierce »

I agree with Empking, and I think this doesn't work well in an Open setup.

The reverse is far more interesting, but again it doesn't really work in an Open setup--it's a role I saw in Call of Cthulhufish, iirc: there is a dead (town?) player who still has a vote.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #4920 (isolation #1) » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:29 am

Post by Tierce »

A side note from someone who just ran a Donner Party game: Make sure you have a motivated playerlist before hosting it. If the town doesn't get things right from the very beginning, the no-reveal is very demotivating and frustrating (well--it's Donner Party, should be par for the course, but you want your players to have fun ;)). The setup can be radically swingy depending on very few action/lynch choices.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #5378 (isolation #2) » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:33 pm

Post by Tierce »

Bird 7P is so pretty already. *_* Don't change a winning team.

From my recent experience modding it: yes, it would affect it quite strongly. Scum already have access to a D2 LyLo if there is a successful mislynch/kill pair on the first Day/Night. They don't need extra bonuses on how to deal with Dayplay/when to coordinate a quickhammer.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #6303 (isolation #3) » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:54 pm

Post by Tierce »

In post 6302, Cabd wrote:Every 3 days, a scum player is confirmed as scum
Not quite, not if scum gets the Gate and lies about the LyLo.
Hilarity
pain ensues.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #6447 (isolation #4) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:01 pm

Post by Tierce »

In post 6445, Wake1 wrote:"Normal" is based on the opinion of the majority or, in this case, a board. The board may or may not be affected by general consensus, but if so, it can indeed be changed over time.

Why is it so adverse? Even in a Vanilla game where the Neutral factions cannot kill... and everyone already knows they're there... all it serves is to add another dimension to Day-time discussion. Their wincon may also include killing Scum, too. Basically, two warring VT factions.
Because it breaks the definition of a traditional Mafia game. It makes for a very different experience than a game with vanilla majority, a handful of PRs, and one or two non-Town powers/groups.

Either way, this is not the place to argue Normalcy. You are always welcome to PM me or create a thread to discuss the Normal guidelines; this thread is for discussing Open setups.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #6456 (isolation #5) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:54 pm

Post by Tierce »

In post 6448, Wake1 wrote:it adds in more depth and increases game time
It's not depth, it's luck and swing. And making the game a slog of extra Days doesn't make it more interesting, it makes it more frustrating for everyone involved. You shouldn't be catering to what you think is fun to run--you should be primarily thinking of what would be fun to play in. Playing in a game where the Night results are the result of sheer luck and role confusion? Role madness is always dicey, and piling on lots of action-blocking makes it less enticing, not more.

Salmonella--does priming resolve before or after the marshall's investigation?
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #6458 (isolation #6) » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:53 pm

Post by Tierce »

It seems interesting at first sight, since you're warning players about the Arsonists and thus isn't a crapshoot when suddenly there are multiple kills. However, there's the flip side of that: there might not be enough NKs for the Town to really understand the scum's pattern,
and
by multiple priming and waiting the scum risk leaving obvTown/threats alive.

It's interesting, and is probably worth a try when balance is given a look at. But the results might swing wildly depending on the players and the factions' composition.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #6567 (isolation #7) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:04 pm

Post by Tierce »

In post 6566, agi102 wrote:He knows WHO those people are. Ok, let's change it so that he can't hint at who is scum.
How? Why? What is the point to provide Town with information that they cannot use, and how are you supposed to control it? Can you imagine how not fun such a role is?
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #6648 (isolation #8) » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:54 am

Post by Tierce »

What if both target the same person and the Docblocker targets one of the Doctors?

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”