[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Does Bo Know
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5879 (isolation #0) » Sat May 18, 2013 11:53 am

Post by Does Bo Know »

Sooooo here's an idea. On an older site a couple of friends and I used to play Dethy, but as has been made plainly clear in the wiki, Town normally has a huge advantage.

What would you guys say to this modification? I'm considering running it in the Micro Queue when I can:
- 4p Dethy.
- 3 Cops, 1 Goon, with a Night Start where only the cops can investigate.
- Randomize which sanity (Sane, Insane, Paranoid, and Naive) is left out of the 3 cops.
- Still don't show sanities of Cops when they're killed.

We figured it out over there and we've played it a few times. It gives less chances for the cops to organize exactly who the Mafia are, but certain investigations could still yield a Town win.

Does anyone find any flaws in this that make the game really swingy? Or has there been talk of this a long time ago and I didn't care to look for it? I don't know exactly where to put this since the other set-up review topic is mainly for set-ups custom-made by the user. Plus, Dethy is considered an Open Setup, and I think running a 4p Dethy (or even an 8p or 9p Dethy with the same principles) would be better than just 5ps.

I just don't know if people like Dethys here either, haha
Town: 11-12; Scum: 10-4; Third-party 1-0
Does Bo Know
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5881 (isolation #1) » Sun May 19, 2013 4:33 pm

Post by Does Bo Know »

Dethy-

Why didn't I think of that?

Oh well, yeah, I feel like it might be worth a shot. I haven't modded an Open yet but maybe I can trial run it in the Micro Queue
Does Bo Know
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5884 (isolation #2) » Tue May 21, 2013 5:18 am

Post by Does Bo Know »

So at the start of each day, the Mod says "[scum] successfully intimidated [town]" or "[scum] did not successfully intimidate [town]"?

Because I don't see the point of it failing or succeeding.
Does Bo Know
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5886 (isolation #3) » Tue May 21, 2013 5:24 am

Post by Does Bo Know »

Okay thanks.
Does Bo Know
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6112 (isolation #4) » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:26 am

Post by Does Bo Know »

In post 6110, IceGuy wrote:Re: We Need A Fifth, what happens if there is no lynch?
Just make lynches mandatory, I guess. If no one votes, random player is chosen to be lynched. And no one really has fun when that happens. :P

I like We Need a Fifth as well.

PEdit YAY I GET CREDIT <3
Does Bo Know
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6113 (isolation #5) » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:28 am

Post by Does Bo Know »

Except Three Chances kinda loses its good name when it's possible there could only be 2 mislynches.

Dirty Harry reference in the name, maybe? If only it wouldn't be a mouthful to say.
Does Bo Know
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6118 (isolation #6) » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:40 am

Post by Does Bo Know »

In post 6115, chkflip wrote:2 confirmed town / 1 confirmed town who shot scum is kind of chicken shit, IMO.

PEDIT: I like "Do You Feel Lucky?" for a name.
Meh. The vengekill is only if the D1 lynch is a mislynch. Otherwise it plays as normal: first mislynch confirms town, second one town loses.

It also throws in the theory of whether or not Mafia want to risk trying to mislynch on Day 1 or not, because they'd be confirming 2 town or having one of their own shot in the process. Unless, of course, they can't talk until Night 1.

IceGuy, are you letting scum have daytalk this time or not? Or at least pre-game talk?
Does Bo Know
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6119 (isolation #7) » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:46 am

Post by Does Bo Know »

In post 6117, chkflip wrote:What I mean is it gives town a 60% chance to lynch scum with two conf-towns.

I take back the second half since it'd only be a 40% lynch chance if the conf-town actually shot scum.
60%? With investigations? Okay, that does seem a bit unfair. Maybe no investigations if there is a vengekiller N1?

But by then we're making the setup fairly complicated, aren't we? Maybe instead we can just give the vengeful the option to no-kill, and then he would normally kill a townie if he picks a townie.
Does Bo Know
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6121 (isolation #8) » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:08 am

Post by Does Bo Know »

I knew it would be a high percentage to lynch scum, but I totally forgot investigations would be happening too, and with confirmed townies, that limits who to intimidate even more.

Right now we just seem to be looking for some way to even the playing field, since so far it seems scum have the advantage in the old "Two Chances" setup.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”