[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
TehBrawlGuy
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5697 (isolation #0) » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:20 pm

Post by TehBrawlGuy »

I'm toying with an idea, but I'd like feedback on it before I move forward to balancing it. Essentially, while I like multiball, it's far too swingy. This is my aim at creating something that feels a little like multiball, without being as crazy due to crosskills.

2 scumteams of 2, both teams win/lose together. Both have a factional kill. The twist? Both also have a factional cop, and may also choose each night to not kill in return for being able to cop twice. The factional kills will kill a mafia member.

As far as other roles, I definitely want to see a Town Tailor. Maybe Town faction-specific cops as well, although I love the idea of Town Tailor + Scum copping and not much else.
I don't have anything to put here because my normal signature is images. Weeeeee.
TehBrawlGuy
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5722 (isolation #1) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:10 pm

Post by TehBrawlGuy »

In post 5703, quadz08 wrote:
In post 5697, TehBrawlGuy wrote:I'm toying with an idea, but I'd like feedback on it before I move forward to balancing it. Essentially, while I like multiball, it's far too swingy. This is my aim at creating something that feels a little like multiball, without being as crazy due to crosskills.

2 scumteams of 2, both teams win/lose together. Both have a factional kill. The twist? Both also have a factional cop, and may also choose each night to not kill in return for being able to cop twice. The factional kills will kill a mafia member.

As far as other roles, I definitely want to see a Town Tailor. Maybe Town faction-specific cops as well, although I love the idea of Town Tailor + Scum copping and not much else.

I'm not sure the cop would really get used, or what a reason to use it would be.

That's probably as a result of my communication at late hours being awful. Let me rephrase:

Every night, the scumteam can cop, and additionally get a choice between a second cop and a standard kill.

I'm still not sure I like that, but I can't think of how to make it better, other than maybe making the free cop X-Shot.

In post 5704, Docteur Gudsight wrote:I guess it is to determine who the other half of the team is.

The idea of two mafia halves searching each other is interesting, but i'm not sure that replacing the NK by cop shots is the best way to do it.

Also it looks pretty harsh for the town. 4 allied scum with 2NK vs 9 townies? Even with the possibility of a misshot, this looks impossible. Heck, if the day1 lynch and NK are not on mafia, all mafioso can claim and win.

They get the first shot/night for free, the second is to make shooting-every-night not always the best option. (although it probably still is)

There would definitely be more than 9 townies; I just didn't pick a number then because balancing late at night is bleh.

In post 5721, Ineffective wrote:
In post 5697, TehBrawlGuy wrote:I'm toying with an idea, but I'd like feedback on it before I move forward to balancing it. Essentially, while I like multiball, it's far too swingy. This is my aim at creating something that feels a little like multiball, without being as crazy due to crosskills.

Ok how about a big game? Maybe 20 players. Too small of a game and optimal play leads to zero chance of mafia miskilling

Perhaps a fown framer would help as well?

In post 5721, Ineffective wrote:

Ok how about a big game? Maybe 20 players. Too small of a game and optimal play leads to zero chance of mafia miskilling

Perhaps a fown framer would help as well?

That's a closer # to what I had in mind, although I think 20 is probably too big.

Town tailor
is
a town framer.
I don't have anything to put here because my normal signature is images. Weeeeee.
TehBrawlGuy
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5726 (isolation #2) » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:47 am

Post by TehBrawlGuy »

In post 5724, Ineffective wrote:@tehbrawlguy

with 20 players, consider that after a n1 nk and 2 investigations each then a mislynch and 2 kills n2, the odds are overwhelming that the game rests at 17 players

on more mislynch one more night kill and mafia have a moderate chance of being well educated on posible allies and havea voting block of 4 out of a total of 13 players.

one more mislynch and one more night kill lands it at near mafia autowin. lynching correctly at this point or anything past this is still a likely mafia win... so town essentially has 2 mislynches to gain the advantage before scum can handily dominate with little effort

seemed like a good balance to me considering you prefer the idea of mafia being more informed with reports than town.

It would definitely be Day start. I'm pretty okay with mafia being in a really good place if town mislynches 3 times while the mafia gets 6 correct kills off, and even then, it would still be 4 scum with 7 town. (albeit with two scum NKs) Town would be in LyLo or MyLo for the rest of the game so long as the mafia didn't crosskill, which seems fair. You may have been right with 20, although it still feels big to me. I kind of want to put a mechanic in place to make LyLo closer numbers wise, so that that town can't lose a 4 scum v. 6 town game with two correct lynches.
TehBrawlGuy
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5768 (isolation #3) » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:10 pm

Post by TehBrawlGuy »

I haven't seen the first game to be able to compare them, but I used Perfectionist Vigilante as the role name for that conditional vidge of yours when I hosted a set-up with it a while back, and I thought it conveyed the role well.
TehBrawlGuy
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5818 (isolation #4) » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:04 pm

Post by TehBrawlGuy »

In post 5798, LlamaFluff wrote:If there is one thing to be learned from variable setups scum pick (like Pick Your Poison) - scum routinely choose suboptimal choices.
I was once in a PyP where Scum had to pick 3 of 6 Town PRs to be in the game. They picked the three that could self-confirm.
It went about how you would expect.

Agreed on
Stack the Deck
TehBrawlGuy
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8800 (isolation #5) » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:53 pm

Post by TehBrawlGuy »

This is an old one on one of the sites I usually play, and is used as the usual Open for newbies, akin to C9 here. I haven't seen anything for it on the wiki, so I'm curious what you all would think of it, as I'm interested in modding a round of it.

Perfect 11
Werewolf
Werewolf
Sorcerer

Bodyguard
Hunter
Seer
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT

Sorcerer:

Is not known by the wolves.
Knows the wolves.
Does not count for the wolf parity victory check (e.g. Sorcerer + Wolf + VT + VT is not endgame).
Can be nightkilled.
If the last Scum player alive, Town win.
Checks each night for the Seer, is returned a result of Seer/Not Seer.
Is given a random "N0" negative result at the start of the game.

Seer:

Checks for Wolf/Not Wolf, is returned Not Wolf on the Sorcerer.
Is given a random "N0" negative result at the start of the game.

Hunter:

Selects a player to vengeful, in the event the Hunter dies. This selection must be done before death, and may be changed any number of times, at any time.
Vengeful fires at a random target if none was chosen.
Vengeful fires on both lynch and NK.
Wins the game for Town if left alive in a 1-1 endgame with a Werewolf.

Bodyguard:

Only protects against the wolves' NK; does not stop the hunter vengeful.

It has a lot of very interesting ways it can play out, thanks to the Hunter and Sorcerer, which is what made it a favorite Open to run repeatedly. Seer hits are not auto-lynches, because nobody is ever sure if it's a bonafide Seer hit, or a Sorc hit on the Seer. Sorc play is very interesting - since they can't win in endgame, they usually function to CC the Seer, or another PR in the event the Seer was NKed. Endgames like Wolf-Sorc-VT-VT are nuts, because everyone massclaims Sorcerer, in the hope that the wolf NKs his own Sorcerer, and Town wins the remaining LYLO.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”