[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
wierdalexv
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2787 (isolation #0) » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:37 pm

Post by wierdalexv »

Hi all...I know I don't qualify to mod yet and my setup is unbalanced and sucks in the first place, but I decided to put this on anyways (Bvoigt did not approve). If you have any ideas or thoughts on improvements or anything, just send me a PM. Here it is, for Police Squad Mafia:

x1
One-Shot Publishing Cop
(or sane
Flavor Cop
?)
x1
Sane Cop

x1
Insane Cop

x1
Naive Cop

x1
Paranoid Cop

x2
Mafia Goon
(or x1
Goon
x1
Roleblocker
?)

Cops don't know what sanity they are, and they are not revealed on death. If I do decide on a Flavor Cop, they will learn the players sanity (maybe I should make it One-Shot). Any thoughts?
I'm back, sort of. Not a lot of free time to play, but I'm planning to be modding some mish mash and stuff this winter.

Eragon Mafia, a 17-Player Large Theme, will be coming to the large theme queue soon(ish) if all goes well. If you're interested, PM me to pre-in.
wierdalexv
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2793 (isolation #1) » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:12 pm

Post by wierdalexv »

Antihero wrote:
wierdalexv wrote:Hi all...I know I don't qualify to mod yet and my setup is unbalanced and sucks in the first place, but I decided to put this on anyways (Bvoigt did not approve). If you have any ideas or thoughts on improvements or anything, just send me a PM. Here it is, for Police Squad Mafia:

x1
One-Shot Publishing Cop
(or sane
Flavor Cop
?)
x1
Sane Cop

x1
Insane Cop

x1
Naive Cop

x1
Paranoid Cop

x2
Mafia Goon
(or x1
Goon
x1
Roleblocker
?)

Cops don't know what sanity they are, and they are not revealed on death. If I do decide on a Flavor Cop, they will learn the players sanity (maybe I should make it One-Shot). Any thoughts?
Also, this is very close to dethy. :lol:
Yeah I tried to make a balanced version of Dethy, but I think I made it worse LOL. :P
I'm back, sort of. Not a lot of free time to play, but I'm planning to be modding some mish mash and stuff this winter.

Eragon Mafia, a 17-Player Large Theme, will be coming to the large theme queue soon(ish) if all goes well. If you're interested, PM me to pre-in.
wierdalexv
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3009 (isolation #2) » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:50 am

Post by wierdalexv »

Just throwing this out there for an idea, not sure what you guys will think of it.

x1 Cannibal (SK)
x1 FBI Agent
x1 Arsonist (SK)
x1 Firefighter
x1 Psychopath (SK)
x1 Psychiatrist
x? Vanilla Townie
x1-2 Jailkeeper

Bvoigt thinks there should be a mafia too (two actually), but I think more than 3 NKs would be too many. I'm still thinking of a balance for the VTs, just wondering if anybody would actually want to play a similar setup to this or if you have any ideas for balance, although I'm not sure if it'll work very well.

wierdalexv
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3075 (isolation #3) » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:14 am

Post by wierdalexv »

I haven't balanced it or anything but would anyone find this mechanic interesting?

x Townies
x Mafia Goons
x1 Mafia Cop*
x1 Vigilante
x1 Doctor
I might add other roles too, maybe a roleblocker or something.

Mafia do not know who each other are.
Mafia do not have any out-of-thread communication. Kills rotate. (i.e. N1, Scum #1 gets kill, N2, Scum #2 gets kill, etc.)

*Like a regular cop, gets 'Innocent' or 'Guilty'

wierdalexv
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3085 (isolation #4) » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:53 am

Post by wierdalexv »

Herodotus wrote:Mafia may kill each other; that will harm their faction greatly because their best players are most likely to be killed.

You shouldn't include so many PR's. See Stoofer's 4th Law.
Yes, I guess they would. It's sort of the point that this is possible, but should there be a Mafia Doc instead of a Mafia Cop to make it less likely?

Good point about the power roles. Should I have one bulletproof instead of the vig and doc? Then it would look like

x?
Vanilla Townies

x2
Mafia Goons

x1
Mafia Doc

x1
Bulletproof townie

or something of that sort.

wierdalexv
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3664 (isolation #5) » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:36 am

Post by wierdalexv »

I didn't really check for balance myself, but I estimated that it is, at least somewhat.

x1 Mafia Godfather
x1 Elite Goon
x1 Mafia Goon
x1 Sane Cop
x1 Gunsmith
x1 Miller
x1 Gun Ownner
x6 VTs

Elite Goon is a Godfather for the Gunsmith. Gun Owner is (obviously) a Miller for the Gunsmith. Miller and Gun Owner recieve a VT Role PM, to prevent them from becoming a named townie. Note that Elite Goon
can
kill and that the Gun Owner
can't
Day start.

wierdalexv
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3672 (isolation #6) » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:42 pm

Post by wierdalexv »

Would my game be better if the Miller and Gun Owner were given to one player randomly (including scum), so they know they are a miller but are not confirmed town? Or is that even less fun?

wierdalexv
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3674 (isolation #7) » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:40 pm

Post by wierdalexv »

Also, Godfather can't recieve Miller and Elite Goon can't recieve Gun Owner, obviously.

wierdalexv
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3695 (isolation #8) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:54 am

Post by wierdalexv »

So he's basically a Survivor with a 10/13 chance of making himself immune to one death, and then he has a 9/12 chance if the guard dies, etc?? Way too easy to win.

Also, and thoughts on my setup?

wierdalexv
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3704 (isolation #9) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:32 am

Post by wierdalexv »

10/13 chance of getting a guard VS. 1/13 chance blocking him, and vig only kills a town guard if he shoots the SK.
The problem is, unless he doesn't get a guard (3/13 chance), the town has to either Lynch + Vig (and that requires the SK to not get a guard again, 3/26 chance that he misses both), RB + Lynch, Vig + Lynch, RB + Vig, Lynch + Lynch, Vig + Vig, or some combination of them that I forgot to mention.

There's a 3/26 chance
at best
ever day/night cycle to kill him. Probably not going to happen.

wierdalexv
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3706 (isolation #10) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:54 am

Post by wierdalexv »

Oh.

Reeeeeeeeeecalculating.

4/13 chance of getting him killed, basically a 3/13 chance of him not getting a guard minus 3/26 chance of RB + Lycnh, adding in a 1/13 chance of getting vigged.

That's 9/13 chance. It should be closer to 6-7/13.

wierdalexv
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3707 (isolation #11) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:00 am

Post by wierdalexv »

It could be fixed by making the mafia not work as guards.
EDIT: Or you could have the goon kill the SK if the guard if he targets him to make it more risk/reward but less skill.
Last edited by wierdalexv on Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

wierdalexv
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3708 (isolation #12) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:09 am

Post by wierdalexv »

Also, do people not like the idea behind my setup or is it something wrong with the setup itself?

wierdalexv
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3753 (isolation #13) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:00 pm

Post by wierdalexv »

Would my game work if it were millerless?

wierdalexv
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4189 (isolation #14) » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:30 pm

Post by wierdalexv »

Innocence Fadedx1
Mafia Godfather

x1
Mafia Bladefather
(Godfather to Gunsmith)
x1
Mafia Goon

x1
Investigation-Immune Serial Killer

x1
Cop

x1
Gunsmith

x0-2
Millers

x0-2
Gun Owners
(Miller to Gunsmith)
x6-10?
Vanilla Townies

12?:3:1
Not sure on the number of VTs, that's honestly nothing more than a guess.

wierdalexv
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4191 (isolation #15) » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:18 pm

Post by wierdalexv »

SK turns up as Town/No Gun.

wierdalexv
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4202 (isolation #16) » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:43 am

Post by wierdalexv »

In post 4194, Faraday wrote:gun owners and millers are presumably informed?
Yes.

wierdalexv
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4462 (isolation #17) » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:48 pm

Post by wierdalexv »

An idea I had a really long time ago, just found it looking through some old word documents:
Necromancy Mafia

x1
Town Necromancer
(has access to Dead QT)
x1
Town Cop

x8
Vanilla Townies

x2
Mafia Goons

x1
Mafia Rolecop

The idea is that once you're dead, you're still not out of the game. Dead townies can give their thoughts, the cop can relay his results, and the mafia can WIFOM their hearts out. The role is only helpful if the dead players decide to stay active in the QT, however I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. I don't think it's too bad, at least concept-wise, but I'd love to hear whatever thoughts you have on it.

Edit: Hey, just realized this is my 1,000th post on-site!

wierdalexv
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
wierdalexv
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4503 (isolation #18) » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:57 am

Post by wierdalexv »

So it's basically two Goons and a 1-Shot Godfather against a Cop and six VTs, with the chance of making it 3:7 mountainous if the Godfather targets the Cop?

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”