[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Artem
Artem
Mafia Scum
Artem
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #363 (isolation #0) » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:56 am

Post by Artem »

I'm proposing a modified version of Dethy:

1 Mafia Roleblocker
1 Sane Cop
1 Insane Cop
1 Naive Cop
1 Paranoid Cop

The original Dethy formulation has a goon, but favors town. I'm hoping that the role-blocker will tip the scales a little towards the mafia side.

farside22 promised to let me mod it if it gets approved :)
Artem
Artem
Mafia Scum
Artem
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #365 (isolation #1) » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:07 pm

Post by Artem »

Cops don't know their sanity. The game starts with Night 0, where the cops are given one set of investigation results and the mafia may choose to block somebody.

EDIT:

Normally, the day starts with cops revealing their investigation results and trying to clear each other and/or determine their sanities. In the traditional setup, the mafia generally has to fake claim an investigation result in a way that throws a wrench into the town's logic. However, even with optimal fake-claims, the mafia has to survive three days. (The optimal town play is to go with no-lynch until more investigation results are available)

With the modified setup, the mafia now has more freedom.
1) The mafia can block a cop and fake-claim an investigation.
2) The mafia can choose to not block and fake-claim a block.
Last edited by Artem on Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Artem
Artem
Mafia Scum
Artem
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #367 (isolation #2) » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:13 pm

Post by Artem »

No kill on night 0.

EDIT: An example might help:

https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?ti ... hy/Example
Artem
Artem
Mafia Scum
Artem
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #370 (isolation #3) » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:57 pm

Post by Artem »

charter wrote:
Whoever claims to be blocked will be confirmed town.
Mafia can't claim to be blocked day one because they will auto lose.
Don't think mafia will auto-lose. If mafia chooses to not block and then claims to have been blocked, others will think they are confirmed townie (due to the bolded argument above). Perfect WIFOM.

Also, the mafia may choose to not block and still fake-claim an investigation. The game then reduces to the standard Dethy.
Artem
Artem
Mafia Scum
Artem
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #383 (isolation #4) » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:31 pm

Post by Artem »

charter wrote:
shaft.ed wrote:what about a mafia power that enables them to control the readout of one players investigation. I know that's not normal but how would that effect the set up?
I think at this point it's not even dethy anymore, you couldn't rely on investigations at all, so it would essentially turn into mountainous.
I'm with Charter on this one. There's already an element of uncertain information introduced through the sanities. Allowing mafia to flip investigations will only result in messy logic with tons of "if..." statements everywhere.

The roleblocker, on the other hand, introduces the element of missing information in addition to the untrusted sanity information. The town logic is still in the spirit of Dethy, but with fewer facts and a big WIFOM looming over the blocked target.

From what I understand, the traditional Dethy allows for easy clearing of certain players, which is what puts the mafia at a disadvantage. If the town had fewer facts to work with, clearing townies will be more difficult and players will have to rely on their "mafia" skills in addition to pure logic.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”