[REVIEW] Open Setup Reviews

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Bingle
Bingle
Survivor
Bingle
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1279 (isolation #0) » Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:11 pm

Post by Bingle »

Cop 9er with a mafia safe claim has an observed win rate of 43% in matrix 6. Regular cop 9er is strictly better for town.

I don’t have data available on vig 9er, given that it’s not a particularly popular setup, but I remember it being considered balanced in ye olden days. Also the difference between vig 9 and vig 10 is very small, from an ev standpoint (both are presumed scumwin after two bad cycles). If you have conflicting stats I’d be happy to see them to make a more informed judgment.
Bingle
Bingle
Survivor
Bingle
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1286 (isolation #1) » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:16 am

Post by Bingle »

Assassins in the palace. It’s an archetype with a king whose death loses town the game and scum with venge shots. There’s a few variations. Generally it suffers from it being vastly better for town to discuss nothing.

I think yours is more similar to Avalon with the extra roles, fwiw.
Bingle
Bingle
Survivor
Bingle
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1289 (isolation #2) » Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:13 pm

Post by Bingle »

It's probably acceptable as a meme game with blitz deadlines and a vig. The cop is basically irrelevant and mafia have literally no need to have a blocker here.
Bingle
Bingle
Survivor
Bingle
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1290 (isolation #3) » Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:14 pm

Post by Bingle »

In post 1288, BBmolla wrote: would you want to be town in that game
I mean... there's precedent for that, though. No one signs up for Jester Nightless hoping to be town, but Jester Nightless is still an enjoyable game for the majority of people who play it.
Bingle
Bingle
Survivor
Bingle
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1315 (isolation #4) » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:30 pm

Post by Bingle »

How do additional exiles get made?
Bingle
Bingle
Survivor
Bingle
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1317 (isolation #5) » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:46 pm

Post by Bingle »

Oh, okay, M is goons+exiles. I was thinking it was just exiles and the mafia made more exiles as the game progressed.

First of all, I'm not a huge fan of negative feedback loops in opens. What I mean is that if you lim a Mafia, the game gets harder for mafia both because the mechanics favor town more AND because mafia have fewer voices. It tends to encourage landslide victories. Overall, I'd say the setup is probably pretty balanced (maybe a bit scumsided), but it'll likely end up running like nsg's arsonist game did where it was just a massive slog of a game.

Dropping the numbers would probably help with that, and my guess would be 10v2, Exile is the only PR, Poison->Kill->Nightless would be roughly equivalent.
Bingle
Bingle
Survivor
Bingle
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1336 (isolation #6) » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:46 pm

Post by Bingle »

All of these are probably scumsided in practice if scum plays them like an arsonist game, fwiw.
Bingle
Bingle
Survivor
Bingle
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1342 (isolation #7) » Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:40 pm

Post by Bingle »

In post 1337, DragonEater70 wrote: This is inspired by Enchant's game of the same name. The thing is that the previous version wasn't really a game of Mafia, since it didn't have an informed minority (it was uninformed majority vs uninformed minority). This version aims to fix that.

Double Agency Redux

13p

Mafia Conspirators

Mafia Traitors

Town Masons

Town PT Cop

Vanilla Townies

Traitors ARE informed of the Conspirators, but not of each other. Conspirators are only informed of each other.

At any time before they die, Conspirators and Masons may choose successors. If they are wiped out, and have chosen a successor of their faction, the successor becomes a Conspirator/Mason. If they have chosen a successor of opposite faction, opposite faction wins. Opposite faction also wins if they haven't chosen a successor at time of death.

On odd nights, the Mafia Conspirators have a kill, and on even nights, the town Masons have a kill (I'm not sure of this is an improvement over the system Enchant used for determining who gets to kill, maybe that system should be used instead).

Town is not endgamed if mafia is in majority, and only loses if it's completely eradicated. If game reaches 3p, the faction eliminated on that day loses and the other wins.
This is informed minority in exactly the same way as the previous game was, though? Just has less symmetry with the lack of mafia PT cop.

Also, very townsided.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”