[SETUP] Undertale Semi-Open

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #134 (isolation #0) » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:52 pm

Post by catboi »

I-if Isis won't do it anymore, t-then I wanna try!

Undertale Micro
2 Mafia

7 Town

Each day, there is a vote to spare one player. A player who is spared is moved to the Spared PT and loses access to the game thread (they can't be targeted by the factional nightkill). Town immediately wins if three town players are spared and no mafia is spared, and mafia immediately wins if both mafia are spared.

If, after day 3, exactly one mafia member has been spared, the town votes for one final spare. If the spare is successful (meaning the other mafia member is not spared), the remaining players in the game perish without flipping and the occupants of the Spared PT return to the game thread. Those players vote on one guess of the remaining mafia, and win or lose on its correctness.

I had considered running this as a pared-down version of the setup during the marathon weekend, but there was never a good time for it. Thoughts? It looks balanced-ish, EV-wise (~47% town win), although I worry the "perfect town victory" may be a little too easily achievable in this version. (7/9*5/7*3/5=1/3 chance of all 3 spares being town if decided randomly).

I didn't think up non-pacifist routes because people seemed to like the idea of sparing and I wanted to strip it down to be as simple as possible, and focus on getting one route right before attempting to workshop in any alternate one.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #136 (isolation #1) » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:33 pm

Post by catboi »

Fair enough! This was mainly a "does this route look decent" type of post. I mayy be able to workshop a genocide route, although with a simplified setup it probably ends up looking like something not very original like desperation day. the challenge is in getting multiple routes that are relatively evenly balanced, and then making a potential neutral path where town might actually have a decent reason to switch depending on game circumstances.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”