The Title Fairy Dances with the Stars-lolz

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #1922 (isolation #0) » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:59 am

Post by Nemesis »

I don't see why someone with less than 100 posts shouldn't be able to make a suggestion for another person. If it's a good suggestion then why disallow it based on a post count of someone not even related to the person who would get the title?

I understand an alt made purely for self requesting titles could be created, but meh, nothing's foolproof.

(Although if someone has only made 1 post on the site and it is:
I request Flay gets "best mafia player/mod/human being ever".
Then you might want to disregard it.)
[url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=414662#414662]Damnit, Nemesis.[/url]
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #1925 (isolation #1) » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:01 am

Post by Nemesis »

Would suggesting "Mirth's best friend" or something to that effect for SlySly be premature?

Surely someone can make something out of this?
[url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=414662#414662]Damnit, Nemesis.[/url]
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #1944 (isolation #2) » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:04 am

Post by Nemesis »

Thok wrote:
Likely to be approved by this weekend, unless somebody objects

Nemesis-
Dammit, Nemesis!
Out of curiousity, whatever happened to that?

Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:32 am was some time ago. I know anyone who can change them will change them on their own time and everything, but we're in 2008 and that dated back to 2006.

Just curious.

Oh and thanks for nominating me for that Iby, it made me laugh as soon as I saw it.
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #1986 (isolation #3) » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:01 am

Post by Nemesis »

Nominate Adele for "Dreams of being special."

For:
Titles are aspirational. They are a label saying not only "there's an interesting and somewhat amusing story behind this" but also "This dude's a Person Of Significance on this site".

don't take the dream away!
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #1993 (isolation #4) » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:34 pm

Post by Nemesis »

Nominate Thestatusquo for "He has a title"... Just for the rating system of importance and the 'only titled people matter' thing he kept dragging up as soon as people presupposed titles was actually a ranking system of importance.

It fits him exactly.

Or:
"Unfortunately, your opinion doesn't count, because you do not posses a title."

Edit: Apparently leaving a thread open while you reply to another thread results in you missing half a dozen posts.
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #1999 (isolation #5) » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:05 pm

Post by Nemesis »

Elias_the_thief wrote: ha. its funny because you dont realize hes trolling you.
1: He actually isn't trolling when he says that. It was just a reaction to someone saying people who have titles are generally important. (Which wasn't what she meant to say.) So he wasn't trolling. He was repeatedly making a point.

2: He wasn't even making those points at me. I currently outrank him, so he can't. :P

3: I don't suggest people for titles because they are mindlessly trolling. I don't say "hey, you are trying to annoy me. I'm going to suggest you get something that most people would actually request if they were allowed to"

4: It makes his posts have a whole new meaning.

5: Even if I did think he was being serious, his post in the thread where all this comes from was made before I made that post. So I would have read he was being sarcastic there.

6: My post even gives the reason he started making the posts. How did you not get that I knew what he was doing?

7: If you on the other hand were trolling then you win. I would not have guessed in a million years you were trolling, I would have just gone for "likes to laugh at things she thinks she knows, when really she doesn't." (Notice how I didn't nominate you for a title based on how you were trying to laugh at me? This point should back up 3.)

In future, I suggest you either don't try to laugh at people when you think they don't understand something. If you had just said "do you realize he was trolling?" Then I couldn't have proved you were actually the one who deserves to be laughed at.

Do you see? It's funny because you are really the joke.

(And yes, I'm lowering myself to your level. Which totally opens me up to get burned for not following my own advice.)
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #2003 (isolation #6) » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:28 pm

Post by Nemesis »

ha, its funny becuase you think i give a shit.
Yet here you are replying to it. And with a situable excuse to avoid admitting you are wrong too.
No, you don't. We're both title appointees, and I have more game posts than you do, so it is I who outrank you.
I'm likely to be approved by the weekend. So that makes me "almost titled"... And so what if I've been in that status for ever... I still outrank you. :P
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #2011 (isolation #7) » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:01 pm

Post by Nemesis »

Thestatusquo wrote:
Nemesis wrote:
No, you don't. We're both title appointees, and I have more game posts than you do, so it is I who outrank you.
I'm likely to be approved by the weekend. So that makes me "almost titled"... And so what if I've been in that status for ever... I still outrank you. :P
You might want to read the front page of this thread. I'm ALREADY approved. Therefore I even outrank you there as well.
Meh, I'm already approved too. I probably should have noticed that. Although I still think I've probably held my near title status for longer than you.

Elias_the_thief wrote:as a sidenote, i think its also funny that you believe i deserve to be laughed at, while you just spent 5-10 minutes of your life you'll never going to get back trying to prove that some random kids comment was false, when 1) you dont even know said kid, and 2) the 10 minutes you put in will not increase your ability to recognise sarcasm.

as a further sidenote, i continue to reply because its funny that you think I'm arguing with you for any reason other then personal amusement.
5-10 minutes? I'm not actually going to worry about that. It's a tiny percentage of my life, I spent more time reading the "too much mafia" thread for the 5th time. I really have plenty of time for this.

1: Applies to you too.

2: For a trolling expert you really can't recognise it.

And for your sidenote to your sidenote, I am supposed to care why you are trying to argue with me? Do you honestly believe I give you much thought?
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #2051 (isolation #8) » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:20 pm

Post by Nemesis »

hasdgfas wrote:I kind of prefer "Moo" to Moo, but I'd be fine with either.
What about ""Moo""?
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #2071 (isolation #9) » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:51 am

Post by Nemesis »

Titles have always been improved by brainstorming though. Most of them start out as a good idea and then get turned into a better one.
Sarc, we've established that hasgfas is christian and believes that being gay is a personal choice, and is a sin against God. It's difficult for me to comprehend how you can't see that your title suggestions might offend him.
Pffft. If stupid religion didn't come into it then he wouldn't find it offensive. He got called a 'cow' and ran with the idea. Being called a cow is offensive to some people. Sometimes jokes offend, sometimes jokes make people laugh.

I don't see why everyone is making a big deal over this when titles sometimes are negative things.

It's very meh to me... But then again I don't believe in a divine being that decides if you have ever done something he considers wrong... And if so, you get tortured forever. That idea makes me laugh. So I don't know how it feels to take religious beliefs seriously. It seems to be religious joke = offensive joke, but any other joke is just a joke... The unbelievable situation with the danish cartoon a while back just goes to show that religious people can't take a joke about their religion, yet they could take a joke about anything else. So I don't think a title that could be funny should never get nominated if it could cause offensive... Purely because people can say "no thanks", what harm is there in suggesting it if you stop when someone says 'no thanks'?
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #2074 (isolation #10) » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:11 pm

Post by Nemesis »

Shanba wrote:"Stupid religion" does come into it, though. You can't ride roughshod over someone's beliefs just because you don't share them. Hell, they might be right, and you might be wrong. It's similar to why you wouldn't call a Greek Cypriot a stupid fucking Turk: you know it's going to offend them and you're going out of your way to
be
offensive.
Well, when I said 'stupid religion' I meant the everything that comes with religion. I wasn't calling one particular religion stupid, just the amount of offense people take to the smallest thing. The thing I was calling stupid isn't the belief itself but the lynchmob nature of them. Name one other thing that could cause death threats and riots because of a cartoon?

Calling him a cow is different, in this case, because of the context (which is also what makes teasing him about possibly being gay offensive). The cow joke is a long running joke established throughout the site/scumchat and anyway, cow is not an insult that is particularly offensive.
Well, consider no humans are actually cows... And some humans are actually gay... And being gay isn't a bad thing. I would 100% prefer to be called gay to being called a cow. (Although neither would offend me.)

The entire way of looking at this, that gay = bad and cow = meh... That's offensive. Being called gay might mean you are funny, have good taste, can dance, are tidy, etc... Based on the stereotype, people can joke about people being gay and it be a compliment. (Although granted, most gay people I know don't actually fit into the sterotype.)

And yeah, cow is a long established joke but when it was originally made it was more an insult to a state. (Insulting people's homestate = offensive to some.)

I don't see why everyone is making a big deal over this when titles sometimes are negative things.
If I nominated you for the title "Stupid Fucking Cuntweasel" then the negativity might be just slightly too much, don't you think?
That's one hell of an extreme you are going to there. But I can just say no and not be bothered. That wouldn't get passed because of the profanity anyway. I'm not going to get upset over something like that, there's no reason to.

Religion is a touchy business - it claims to be the ultimate answer and some people believe that.
Pffft. No scientist would take an evolution joke as a reason to put someone on a deathlist.
Whether they are right or not is irrelevant
That's true. My religious beliefs are irrelevant. It doesn't matter if I believe a pink elephant orbiting the universe would take offense to me going to a zoo... If I believe that, then whether I'm right or not shouldn't affect how a title request is viewed.

But that also works the other way. Just because I believe in my pink elephant, it doesn't mean that any title request about not going to zoos should be slammed, just because it's against my religion.
it's whether their beliefs have a right to be respected
Well I'm not intending to turn this thread into a religious debate, I could try and convince people that their religion is wrong, I don't do it... That is about the most respect I'll give a belief. I don't even name all the bad things religions have done.

But hell, if someone makes a suggestion that is based on something valid but is exaggerated for comedic effect, that suggestion shouldn't cause the reaction it has. The suggestion is within the rules and those rules are the only thing that defines what is ok and what isn't.

People can believe whatever the hell they want to believe as long as nothing changes because of it.
At any rate, going out of your way to offend them is not the answer.
I actually wasn't going out of my way to offend anyone. I may have been unclear with the "stupid religion" comment, which I have hopefully clarified. But that's the only thing that I think could be considered offensive.

Especially when this all started because the suggestion "doesn't want to be gay despite his repressed feelings" was made into a funny title. It has a bit of truth to it so can be considered valid. I don't think religion has to come into it. I don't see why religious views are treated as a set of moral views with the added benefit of acting as a shield.

If my religion said all people with the letter "A" in their name were descended from whores, would my religion protect me from being held accountable?

What the hell makes religion so special anyway? There's no way I think I should pussyfoot around something because circular logic is believed by a lot of people. In mafia games we deal with circular logic all the time, I didn't expect many people to actually be religious when all day they see logic exactly like they believe being taken apart so easily.

They should be used to it by now... And no matter how offensive I am seen as being, I am holding back. I'm pussyfooting around it all anyway, just to be nice. And damn, it is taking most of my willpower.
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #2081 (isolation #11) » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:12 am

Post by Nemesis »

Shanba, I fully appreciate you being done with the arguement. So I'm not going to press things.

Just 2 points which you don't have to respond to:
Imposing a title on them offensive to their religion (and you know it is, too) is over the line.
Imposing seems to imply I was all for forcing someone to have a title they don't want. I never said that. My original point was "Budda was here" can be suggested for a Jew... It's only a suggestion and doesn't have to be taken seriously.

I didn't say trying to upset people with title suggestions was a good thing either. Just that if you don't suspect Sarc of trying to be annoying then it shouldn't cause a riot.

But as you say, I don't have any idea what religions mean to people because I've never been religious (unless you count anti-religion atheism and the fact that I (personally, while trying not to say whether I'm right or wrong) take religion as a joke. (Because if I didn't then I'd be looking at eternal torture in the heretic circle of hell and no one wants that.)
After this, I'm not sure I altogether respect your stance on religion
It is the cloest thing to prejudice that I have... (Which is ironic, because the prejudice is for the preachers due to their prejudice and hypocrisy.) I wouldn't say my stance on religion is deserving of respect. But because of the lack of religious hatred for those who don't respect my views on religion, I can quite happily not mind who respects or doesn't respect my stance on religion, purely because it isn't that important to me. I'm not going to hold grudges or anything...
Aegor wrote: A person should have the right to veto a title that they really don't like. In this case, hasd should have a right not to take the titles about his sexuality and religion if he really doesn't like them, even if they are otherwise approved. It's his title. Granted, other people nominated ideas, but he shouldn't have to carry around a title that he hates just because some other players thought it fit him well. Why not nominate him for a title that he actually likes?
They have that right, this has come up before... The person always has the right to veto a title suggestion for them. (Which is why I saw this as being a little crazy.)
Thok wrote:I'd start trying to figure out what's the right way to split this off into a separate thread.
Create a thread discussion religion and you create a mix between WWIII and the worst flamefest in history... Besides, we're done now. (I think.)
hasdgfas wrote:Right, but I believe that if I had been offended/insulted by it they would all have stopped calling me that as I try not to be deliberately insulting to someone and I believe that the same thing is true with JD and the rest of the people that started the 'cow' joke.
Yeah, I'm not saying they would continue to call you a cow if you minded. I'm just saying that every joke has potential to offend.

You were being reasonable about this anyway. Your reaction was fairly simple with no over-reaction or anything. Despite you being at the center of this, I actually see very little reason to have a problem with you.
Sarcastro wrote:Dammit, Nemesis!
LOL.
so why are we still talking about it here?
Shanba said he was done. After this post I'm done.
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #2102 (isolation #12) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:30 pm

Post by Nemesis »

Adel wrote:nominate "here long before Adel" for Adele

... just as an alternative.
Adele turned down "the e is mine" before, so I'm not sure if she'd take that one. Although there's probably no harm in asking.
am I the only one who hates that title, and doesn't think it's witty or fitting at all.
It is kind of fitting if not actually funny...
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #2115 (isolation #13) » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:57 pm

Post by Nemesis »

Nominate "Not a Title Whore" for Adele as an alternative alternative.
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #2119 (isolation #14) » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:01 am

Post by Nemesis »

ROFL. Second TSQ for "Threadshitter".

Did Twito get permabanned for that July thing then?
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #2150 (isolation #15) » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:25 pm

Post by Nemesis »

Adel wrote: Also I think a conversation whether or not TSQ should be "repressed homosexual" will help get this thread out of the recent mire of suck. Never underestimate the power of "repressed homosexual"!
LOL, while partially true. I'd guess a mod that felt like deleting stuff would have the power of "repressed homosexual +1".

Anyway, nominate TSQ for "Won't ever let you forget." For a not funny but fairly accurate spin on the proposed title.
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #2152 (isolation #16) » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:38 pm

Post by Nemesis »

Agreed, although "Threadshitter" is pretty good too.
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #2163 (isolation #17) » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:06 am

Post by Nemesis »

Nominate Nekka-Lucifer for "Ass" if he plans to keep his current avy for a while.
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #2165 (isolation #18) » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:25 am

Post by Nemesis »

For the most part I agree... But when I see one of Nekka-Lucifer's posts I immediately think "ass"... So I thought I'd make the suggestion based on the fact that it works as a derogatory title should he change avatar, and because of this he has a reason not to change avatar.
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #2184 (isolation #19) » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:53 pm

Post by Nemesis »

TSQ isn't a troll, he's just misunderstood.
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #2194 (isolation #20) » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:57 am

Post by Nemesis »

Glork wrote:Nominate SensFan for
Fortuna Ex Deus
(suggestion by JDodge) for his whacked out play in the religiously-based Martyr Mafia.
What does that mean? Fortune from God?
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #2206 (isolation #21) » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Post by Nemesis »

I meant luck, that is exactly why I sucked at being a translator. /Forth SensFan for Fortuna Ex Deus.
/second JDodge in saying that this effectively lets you say "no, there's not enough support for <title>."
No it doesn't... And if it bothers you that much, you could try and get Thok to create a list of titles that have been fifthed or higher on the OP. If he lists who fifthed them, he could also get rid of a bunch of other posts if he wanted.

---

/second shoot for D3sisted. (Even though he got the GF on the last day.)
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #2208 (isolation #22) » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:12 am

Post by Nemesis »

I'd assume so as Fortuna Ex Deus was added before I forthed it. (Which I did not notice.)

Has Quagmire been nominated for Unsanitary yet? He's getting his current title removed, so Jeep may as well grant him a new one while he does that...
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #2210 (isolation #23) » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:39 am

Post by Nemesis »

Now all we need is something to stop mindless bandwagoning in games and we'll be set.

You havn't updated the wiki though, where can your new rule be found? (Offically, besides page 88 of a thread no sane person would read the whole of before (s)he posts in Title Fairy thread 24.)
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #2215 (isolation #24) » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:25 am

Post by Nemesis »

That's an avy based title and you managed to screw my nomination of you for an avy based title in aproximately 2 days... Besides, I like "Damnit, Nemesis", and MBF is actually using that in his posts, so I think it'd be unfair to him to accept that one instead.

Edit: Also it is the best excuse ever for when I make long posts. But thanks anyway.

Return to “Player Titles”