Title Fairy: Abuse of Mooglepower!

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #361 (isolation #0) » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:45 am

Post by JDodge »

MagnaofIllusion wrote:
Bella wrote:It's how he rolls on LoL.
Great ... go get him an appropriate title on whatever the hell LoL is.

When you have a title that reflects Untrod's Mafiascum presence let us know.

alert alert no fun police incoming

going to dredge this back up and repeat that fat and sassy is a good title
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #376 (isolation #1) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:00 am

Post by JDodge »

Porochaz wrote:
MagnaofIllusion wrote:Ah look how cute that Izzy brought in her friends from scum-chat to support that title that Untrod didn't want ...
Hi.

In other news, the other scumchat titles had context, this one doesn't.
it has plenty of context, it happened in a game that was played as a team by members of the community
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #379 (isolation #2) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:31 am

Post by JDodge »

Porochaz wrote:I met CDB once in a caravan park, we passed by, recognized each other and high fived so
I nominate CDB for Five Go Off in a Caravan
ok, if we're not counting things that are off-site, then I would like to note that now Cay (came from scumchat), mole (came from an incident on the GL), and Xyl (based on his running the IRC-bot) should be stripped of their titles.

titles are a community thing, this is something that happened between a not-insignificant number of the members of the community, get over it

the recent trend towards anal-retentive title enforcement is ridiculous, get over yourselves
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #387 (isolation #3) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:26 am

Post by JDodge »

shaft.ed wrote:
crywolf20084 wrote:that didn't happen for cayke shaft.ed
you're going to need to cite sources for this. Titles are serious business
i think the real issue is that we forgot form HJ-7B :(
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #391 (isolation #4) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:30 am

Post by JDodge »

Kublai Khan wrote:
JDodge wrote:
Porochaz wrote:
MagnaofIllusion wrote:Ah look how cute that Izzy brought in her friends from scum-chat to support that title that Untrod didn't want ...
In other news, the other scumchat titles had context, this one doesn't.
it has plenty of context, it happened in a game that was played as a team by
an extreme minority of
members of the community
Fixed.

Actually, I have no objection to UT's title. I don't get it, but if he's happy with it and it was made in good faith, then whatever. JD's fanatical absolutism bugs me though. However this isn't the time or place to discuss it.
no, it's not an extreme minority, especially in title terms

you have to realize that a lot of titles are about defining incidents, i doubt anyone knows the reason whatsoever behind "accept it" except for me and oman and perhaps a few people who were around back then, its context is also within "an extreme minority", are are mole's and cay's

great titles don't happen through strict, anal-retentive interpretations of the rules, they happen organically when members of the community decide that a moment is important enough to badge someone with it
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #397 (isolation #5) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:35 am

Post by JDodge »

Oman wrote:
JDodge wrote:
Porochaz wrote:I met CDB once in a caravan park, we passed by, recognized each other and high fived so
I nominate CDB for Five Go Off in a Caravan
ok, if we're not counting things that are off-site, then I would like to note that now Cay (came from scumchat), mole (came from an incident on the GL), and Xyl (based on his running the IRC-bot) should be stripped of their titles.

titles are a community thing, this is something that happened between a not-insignificant number of the members of the community, get over it

the recent trend towards anal-retentive title enforcement is ridiculous, get over yourselves
The trend prior to that of "fuck it yeah, titles for all" is worse, considering. The anal-retentive enforcement I brought in was a response to the sheer amount of stupid nominations that were coming up, and I think title culture is better off for it. Arguing for this title is cool, but by lashing out against the system, you're coming off like if you don't get your way the system
must
be broken. I also don't think that it was a "not insignificant number" at all. What are we talking in LoL? 3? 5?

Finally, these title situations you cite while they did not originate on site made a significant impact on site. Also splitting hairs on early GL mafia and MS is kinda silly.
I would argue that Xyl's mafia bot has not made a significant impact on the site, nor has a game on the GL ages ago.

What we're talking about for LoL is not 3-5 people. My current MS friends list from LoL includes Izzy, MoS, Cay, UT, Buttons, Nuwen, hito, pops, bev, Fate, scot, peg, quadz, Cyberbob, IH, and Shanba. Not including myself, that is 16 people - which is about the same as the normal scumchat contingent about the time Cay got her title. Furthermore, if we assume most everyone who's posted in the DoTA/LoL thread anything about LoL can get the context based on the description provided below, the number increases substantially.
Oman wrote:Look, I don't dig the title, it doesn't make any sense to me, and when I asked for context I was given "that's just how he rolls on LoL".
You are an arbiter, you are not the title dictator. Your job is to mediate, and to prevent dispute. You are getting in the way of the community as a whole and turning titles into a "what Oman wants" process.
I don't give a shit about a what Oman wants process. I give a shit about a community process.

Oman wrote:Someone (Bella? Forgive me for not looking it up) attempted to reverse engineer it to games etc, which is a lot closer to the mark. I just honestly think this title doesn't have the opportunity for non-LoL members (or more significantly, members who weren't on when that joke was made, regardless of whether they play later) to relate to it.
How are non-back in the day GL members supposed to relate to mole's title?

How are non-back in the day scumchat members supposed to relate to Cay's title?

How are non-IRC players supposed to relate to Xyl's title?

How are people who weren't around back when we were trying to force NK-Immune Miller Vig for you going to relate to my title?

Given that fact, I ask that my title be removed if this policy is to be enforced, as A) I don't wish to be branded by an overly-authoritarian process and B) it falls on the wrong side of said policy.
Oman wrote: The example I'd like to cite here is Drench's, right? It was a scumchat thing, Drench had a crush on Cayke, but it hardly made it to the site. It was a cute little thing that we all adored or were sickened by. My point is that people on the site can go "cool, Drench had a crush on crywolf, all over that shit", but with this if someone asks "That's just how he rolls on LoL" where do you start putting that in context?
It can be explained fairly easily, actually. Nobody has bothered to give a sufficient explanation.

On LoL, the character UT played almost exclusively when he was starting out was Cho'gath. Cho has an ability where he gains HP and his model grows as you eat minions (and enemy champions). The ongoing joke was UT noting how he was/was getting "fat and sassy" as time went on over the course of the game.
Oman wrote:I guess I look at it this way. If I linked to the game, or the chatlogs, or the explanation in thread, and put a little spiel next the name on the "Titles" wiki page, would people still laugh six months from now? Hell, it's been a week and I'm still floundering to contextualise it. Is it the champion he picks? Or does he block lanes? I don't get it.
Do people still laugh at my title? Your title? Mole's title? Cay's title? Xyl's title? I don't think that matters at all, it's not about providing a little joke underneath people's usernames.
Oman wrote:I want you guys to know that I am really considering this and noting your concerns on either side. If I thought it was all too annoying I'd just give in at this point and give the title (because frankly Jdodge will annoy me more than Chaz will), or I'd just say no (because it's less work for me and Flaydog). Instead I'm going to actually hear this one out and really make an informed decision, even if only because I have a feeling Jdodge will be using
this one
as a precedent next.
If
you personally
shoot this down despite the support for it, I'm done with the title system, because it's quite obvious that the power
you shouldn't have to begin with
has gone to your head.
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #419 (isolation #6) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:58 am

Post by JDodge »

Mr. Flay wrote:Oh look, JDodge is bent out of shape and argumentative. Nominate JDodge for
Accept it

Look, the way this title suggestion was brought to the community originally, sucked. Trying to reverse-engineer it into a scumchat reference is thin, at best. You may not like it, but Oman
has
been vested with a certain amount of discretionary power when it comes to Titles. He's been (much like his similarly-reviled predecessor) encouraging and discussing to what I consider a frankly ridiculous degree, considering the amount of abuse he gets for volunteering to do this.
He gets abuse for volunteering to do this because he's taken his job to mean "czar" and not "arbiter". Thok's policies were always in line with making sure content was appropriate, not with making sure content meets some invisible litmus test.
Kublai Khan wrote:
Nominate
the renaming of the word "titles" to "JDodges". Because obviously no one cares as much as he does about them.

Seriously though.. When I nominate a title and it gets shot down, I shrug my figurative shoulders and move on with my life.

When a title JDodge likes gets shot down, everything must suddenly get called into question. And if every existing titles doesn't conform to the same rules, then apparently whatever JD wants he must get.

"Fat and Sassy" is a dumb title that makes no sense outside some obscure flash-in-the-pan game. UT deserves better.

1. Mafia is way more obscure, and likely way more flash-in-the-pan

2. UT has said he has no problem with it, your "he deserves better" argument is both subjective and doesn't hold water

3. This is not "something I like got shot down, ragerage", this is "something I like is being suppressed by a single person who should not have such power in that sense to begin with, the system is corrupt".
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #518 (isolation #7) » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:56 am

Post by JDodge »

ouman out of curiosity how long is the waiting process before you decide to put your stamp of approval that you shouldn't have to give over a community process onto a title
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #522 (isolation #8) » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:22 am

Post by JDodge »

MagnaofIllusion wrote:
JDodge wrote:ouman out of curiosity how long is the waiting process before you decide to put your stamp of approval that you shouldn't have to give over a community process onto a title
Dear god. Stop whining. You sound like my almost 7 year old daughter when she doesn't get her way.

There are any number of titles floating around that have been waiting approval much longer than you little pet case.

Life's not fair.

Accept it.
actually, please let me know about all these titles floating around, because that's bullshit too
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #582 (isolation #9) » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:29 am

Post by JDodge »

DemonHybrid wrote:
@Oman: I think you need to do a public / loud refresher course on what exactly you think this thread is and how it should work, the endless bitching about what is a good title / venting of every slight has surpassed people spitballin' about titles and has now (imo) pretty much just de-railed any good that could come out of this thread. What was a fun diversion and community building thread is now srs business (and that just sucks).
I think he's explained it more than enough times. No offense to JD, but I think Oman has been doing a good enough job and has explained a very clear and fair process when it comes to selecting titles. He's not some sort of title nazi. He just doesn't want to pass out non-mafia titles, because when you give UT Fat and Sassy, soon enough you'll be giving someone like ReaperCharlie a unicorn-themed title.
There are loads upon loads of non-mafia titles present on the site, and loads upon loads of non-MS titles on the site. Regarding Buttons' post, my very point is that
he should not be making the decision as to what is and isn't a good title, he should be acting as an arbiter amongst the members of the community
DH wrote:People in the past have gotten titles for non-mafia related features, but that is such a low minority that it's not even worth bringing that up as a type of argument because such a low number of people have gotten titles for those kinds of features. It's not a good sample size and it's not worth talking about.
If you want to extend it to non-mafia related, it isn't a low minority, it's probably closer to half the titles. That's a fucking great sample size.
DH wrote:-Mafia titles are titles that originated from the site and clearly describe who a person is on site. Titles that deviate from that norm (titles that originate from a different video game or website, for example) are rare and have been given in the past, but only on extreme occasion.
right, because most titles are
really descriptive of people's personalities

DH wrote:-Oman was appointed title fairy by the people who run this site, giving him the qualifications to make his own decisions based on titles. He is far from unfair and isn't obligated to give a title for any reason.
I disagree wholesale with the fact that he is qualified to make full decisions on whether or not titles should be given. I feel that he should function solely as an arbiter.
DH wrote:Explaining in more detail what I meant (I know, shut up, I keep getting dragged back in. Besides, it's restating my original argument, don't go crazy): What I was saying is that I was agreeing with Oman that titles originated on MafiaScum are fine regardless of context or whether or not it has to do with a specific game but stuff originating on Starcraft, LoL, WoW, etc. for instance is iffy because 99% of the playerbase that sees that title won't get it.
my MS friends list on LoL is up to 19 people, btw
Oman wrote:Scumchat is an inherent part of the site, and I've always argued for that. I'm not arguing that point against LoL or Starcraft, just arguing for scumchizzle.
pretty much all of those 19 people are scumchat regulars
stream

Return to “Player Titles”